• Stargate 82 votes
    63%
  • I don’t care for either. (Leave your recommendation in the thread) 14 votes
    11%

(130 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

let-it-go (resized).jpg
There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago

Stargate is a great game, one of pinball better values IMO. Lots to do, good rules, Sandstorm is awesome..

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Does stargate have a color dmd?

Yes. The color is red.

Actually for the price, they both rule.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

I am just really not grasping what is so wrong with either game. Popeye seems to get a LOT of hate. Is it the theme?

Some might dislike it due to theme. Some might dislike it because the damage it did to Williams as a company when they released it. I personally dislike it for gameplay reasons. There are a mix of factors at play with Popeye, depending on what angle you're coming from. I know some people who really enjoy it, too.

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Yes. The color is red.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisK:

Some might dislike it due to theme. Some might dislike it because the damage it did to Williams as a company when they released it. I personally dislike it for gameplay reasons. There are a mix of factors at play with Popeye, depending on what angle you're coming from. I know some people who really enjoy it, too.

It seems like you either hate it or you love it.

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

It seems like you either hate it or you love it.

I honestly don't know too many people who unabashedly love it.

I own a Popeye. To me, it may be the greatest "art" pinball machine with how everything is linked together. They spent stupid money on this thing making it so that the whole game looked like a boat. It's really neat.

But the game play is a problem. The art made it so the majority of shots are covered and hard to see what is happening.

The theme also is weird. I mean, I like Popeye and I like animals, but Bluto was never an anti animal crusader or whatever so it feels really odd. It's like they stuck a serious theme on a cartoon meant to be goofy. It doesn't work.

But, I still have my Popeye while I just put my Stargate up for sale.

Stargate is a much better overall game. It suffers slightly from the usual Gottlieb System 3 clunkiness, but that doesn't really bother me (I have about five System 3s). It's an overall very solid game with lots to do.

It's for sale though because while it is really good, in a larger line up it isn't that different than other games I have from the Era. Good modes, good unique Gottlieb tech, but ultimate similar to other things. Popeye's art is keeping it around.

It also doesn't hurt that my buddy has one that is in nicer shape than mine that I can play whenever.

In your situation, I say Stargate every time. Unless you just think the art on Popeye is so cool, and then get one and look at it in between games on better machines!

#57 6 years ago

There is a "Semi-Colour-Display" called Pn2DMD available, check it out here:

and here:

But it is not really comparable to Color-DMD, since it´s homebrew/open source as far as i know

Apart from that: my vote for Stargate... own it for years now, no regrets!

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from tuneup1:

There is a "Semi-Colour-Display" called Pn2DMD available, check it out here:
» YouTube video
and here:
» YouTube video
But it is not really comparable to Color-DMD, since it´s homebrew/open source as far as i know
Apart from that: my vote for Stargate... own it for years now, no regrets!

Yeah, I saw that video on YouTube. ColorDMD claimed “We don’t have multicolor support for Gottlieb games yet but is likely something we will begin to support this year. If you sign on to our mailing list we’ll keep you notified regarding new product releases and updates.” so hopefully they will release this one this year. I’m sure Stargate is there most requested one, so it will probably be the first one that they produce.

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Yeah, I saw that video on YouTube. ColorDMD claimed “We don’t have multicolor support for Gottlieb games yet but is likely something we will begin to support this year. If you sign on to our mailing list we’ll keep you notified regarding new product releases and updates.” so hopefully they will release this one this year. I’m sure Stargate is there most requested one, so it will probably be the first one that they produce.

Maybe. Stargate is broadly seen as the best-playing DMD Gottlieb, but there were larger production runs on Rescue 911, Super Mario Bros, Street Fighter II, and Cue Ball Wizard. Setting aside the time differences each project would take (and that's a big set-aside), I'd guess Mario might have the most demand, given how sought after it is from Nintendo fans.

Can't imagine Stargate being outside of the first five, however, and I'd guess first three due to demand.

#60 6 years ago

I've had Stargate the longest in my collection. IMO it has great rules, great shots, great art/back-glass (Peel the ramp decals off), and a solid built system that requires the least attention of all the pins I've owned to maintain. My only dislikes are the flipper mechs being clunky and the audio quality. Epic theme for me.

#61 6 years ago

I've owned SG for almost 10 years, while others have left. I like that it is completely different from my other games, (plus it's got some depth.)

I would also totally consider a Popeye for a good price.

(Oh, and I was just kidding about the red color DMD remark.)

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I've owned SG for almost 10 years, while others have left. I like that it is completely different from my other games, (plus it's got some depth.)
I would also totally consider a Popeye for a good price.
(Oh, and I was just kidding about the red color DMD remark.)

I agree, it is very different. Also a big fan of the movie, so that helps. Maybe I’ll get Stargate and make room for a Popeye if one pops up around 2k. In some ways, I am kinda glad people bash it because it makes the price so low! 2k seems like an excellent value for any dot matrix Bally/Williams game. You can’t go wrong with the theme Popeye either!

#63 6 years ago

Popeye over Stargate.

#64 6 years ago

Stargate for sure.

That said I am actually considering selling mine to make room for a GotG. Don't know if I can actually let it go though.

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Stargate for sure.
That said I am actually considering selling mine to make room for a GotG. Don't know if I can actually let it go though.

let-it-go (resized).jpglet-it-go (resized).jpg

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Stargate for sure.

own both, DONT do it!

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

own both, DONT do it!

Ugh, I know!!!!! I haven't given up on figuring out how to make more room out here.

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Ugh, I know!!!!! I haven't given up on figuring out how to make more room out here.

There is always a way.

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from JosiahCox:

All of the repetitive callouts on Stargate can be turned off at the beginning of each ball by holding in both flippers.
Every time I see people dig this game cause of the repetitive sounds I laugh cause it’s so easy to eliminate them.

That’s very clever coding imo. They probably knew people would get sick of the callouts.

#70 6 years ago

they both suck! save a few more $$$$ and get a game worth keeping over 3 months

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

they both suck! save a few more $$$$ and get a game worth keeping over 3 months

lol when coming from someone with both Elvis and Nascar in your lineup

#72 6 years ago

nascar was bought as a flip only, elvis was huo gold edition and basically gave to me. But thanks for your wisdom!

#73 6 years ago

Probably going to go with Stargate and maybe get a Popeye down the line if the price is right. Just finished Stargate the movie and it was excellent imo. I know a lot of people hate it, but there is something about Popeye that I really like and it keeps me coming back. In some ways, I am glad people hate the theme and layout, because it makes it an excellent value. Around 2k for any B/W dmd is a win in my book.

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

nascar was bought as a flip only, elvis was huo gold edition and basically gave to me. But thanks for your wisdom!

relax, it was just a joke hence the smiley.

2 months later
#75 5 years ago

Ended up going with Stargate! Really excellent game.

#76 5 years ago

Cool you did the right choice
Bought my first pinball 2 years ago and it is a Stargate too.
It plays well for month but problems comes so I'm in progress to restore it completely and hope it will survive me...
I'll be there for any question. I know every part of this game.
The first and more important things to do is to shunt all ground wires until it may burn transistor on A3 like it is preconised on pinrepair.com

Have fun

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

Shoot the Pyramid!
Shoot the Pyramid!
Shoot the Pyramid!
Shoot the Pyramid!
Shoot the Pyramid!
Shoot the Pyramid!
That really got under my skin after a few months.
Again, just my opinion.
RM

Umm, you know if you hold the flipper button in when you start a game, it turns most of that off right.

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Umm, you know if you hold the flipper button in when you start a game, it turns most of that off right.

Exactly. SO nice that they did that. Not sure why people still complain about that. On my game, it says it right on the info card.

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from Benhurr:

I'll be there for any question. I know every part of this game.

Thanks very much. I’ll probably have some questions

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

Shoot the Pyramid!
Shoot the Pyramid!
Shoot the Pyramid!
Shoot the Pyramid!
Shoot the Pyramid!
Shoot the Pyramid!
That really got under my skin after a few months.
Again, just my opinion.
RM

I like that it says "shoot the pyramid". It doesn't bother me.

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I like that it says "shoot the pyramid". It doesn't bother me.

I believe it gets repetitive, but I think any of the call outs are annoying.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 85.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popeye-or-stargate/page/2?hl=benhurr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.