• Both 10 votes
    14%

(72 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sexist-van-heusen-ad (resized).jpg
wear-the-pants-relationship (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I have a lead on a popeye for $800 and a flintstones for $1500. Assuming both are in players condtion which one should I get?

I know most people would say both but I haven't convinced the wife yet that we have room for more than 2 games. With that being said what is the better option of the 2?

#2 6 years ago

The better option would be to not have to get your wife's permission and buy as many pinball machine's as YOU like.

#3 6 years ago

BOTH.

I know I know but listen to me. Those are big deals right there. You'll be able to sell one VERY easily at profit. So get both and decide, or get both and set up both and see which one she likes (hopefully both).

Other than that FS people like, but that game is a shithole.

#4 6 years ago

Flintsones in a Big Way. It's a fun game. Popeye is a hot mess.

BTW don't get too married to the idea of either of these games. At those prices - about half current market - "leads" like that are bound to be fleeting.

#5 6 years ago

Just picked up a FS and pleasantly surprised how fun it is. It's not the deepest game but 3 flippers and cool shots with some bowling mini game action taking place at the same time.

Mine has the cartoon playfield overlay and the cartoon alternate translite and its super fun. Only thing that bothers me is that my kids think its a "Fruity Pebbles" pin as they have no clue who the Flintstones are otherwise, lol

#6 6 years ago

For those prices get both but if you can't get Flintstones it is a much better game that Popeye.

#7 6 years ago

I have owned Popeye twice and once you play it enough you realize how deep it is. I have only played Flint at shows and I like Popeye better. It is also a favorite with kids.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

I have owned Popeye twice and once you play it enough you realize how deep it is. I have only played Flint at shows and I like Popeye better. It is also a favorite with kids.

I'm in the same boat...pun intended. I like deeper, more challenging games so for me, Popeye is the much better game.

That said, I would absolutely buy both and sell off Flintstones to pay for Popeye.

#9 6 years ago

I'd get off my ass and go get those BOTH before they're gone. Those are good prices! IMO Flintstones all day if you can only have one, but at the same time, Popeye isn't as terrible as people on here think (ok it's not nearly as fun as Flintstones either) and it's $800. The only things going for $800 on here are EM's, Space Shuttles with roached PF's, and Comets with planking everything (including balls!).

#10 6 years ago

Flintstones for sure.

#11 6 years ago

I have both and the Flintstones would leave last. I'm on my 2nd Flintstones and ~immediately~ had sellers remorse and had to replace it with another one. It's really a fun game with a super nice playfield design. Popeye is fun too, but set at 3-ball, I haven't been able to make it very far. PSTE has some pretty deep rules. +1 for the Flintstones.
~Steveo

#12 6 years ago

Thanks for everybody's insight! I'm looking at both early next week and hopefully will make a decision by then

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from asrtiv1:

Thanks for everybody's insight! I'm looking at both early next week and hopefully will make a decision by then

I hope you have a rock solid relationship with the owner of those games or they will be long gone by next week or the price will have dramatically increased.

#14 6 years ago

They're not actually listed any where for sale. I happened to find them about a week ago and asked if they would consider selling them. Both places said yes and their prices were much lower than I thought they were going to be.

#15 6 years ago

I voted for flintstones. Its a good fun pin in my opinion and I always liked the bowling aspect. I would buy both however based on the prices. Show this thread to the wife to convince her that it would be a bad decision to not buy both pins

#16 6 years ago

Flintstones would be my choice. I have played both a lot and am not a fan of Popeye. The layout and theme don't do anything for me. I just dont enjoy playing it.
Flintstones on the other hand is lots of fun. Decent layout with good shots and a bit of variety. The callouts and music really add to the fun for me. If i could get one that cheap i would jump on it.

#17 6 years ago

The Flintstones is pretty underrated. At that price, I would try to get both, but I would definitely prioritize The Flintstones between the two.

#18 6 years ago

I own both of them, and none of e'm is leaving the house.
Flintstones is a good "party/beer game". Fun shoots and very approachable to people that normally don't play pinball.
Popeye is NOT a party game, but it's a good "players game" when you get in to the rules!

Both of them deserves a better ranking in my opinion.

#19 6 years ago

Get both. Those are 2009 prices. You could sell one and basically have 1 free pinball + cash.

They both have pros and cons, but are generally fun. Popeye's cartoon art makes it appealing if you're a cartoon Popeye fan. Flintstones being based on the movie takes it down a notch, but it still
has cartoon music and sound fX.

#20 6 years ago

Popeye is currently my favorite game in my lineup. Love the rules and depth. All the trash talk is hollow. Great game. For $800 it's a no brainer. Good luck.

#21 6 years ago

Flintstones is a much better pinball machine. Good flow, great shots and if you love the Flintstones you'll love the game! Popeye isn't terrible but it leaves alot to be desired. Flintstones is worth somewhere in the $2500 - $2700 range. Popeye is worth somewhere in the $1600-$1800 range IMO.

I'd go with Flintstones if you can only buy one! But as many said those are very good prices....buy both!

#22 6 years ago

If you do not get both I assure you you will kick yourself sometime in the future. And you'll be waiting a long long time for another deal like these to fall in your lap.

#23 6 years ago

Flintstones. Great ramps. Just thinking of that pinball nachine, makes me hear the bowling theme flickering sound. Yabba Dabba!

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from drypaint:

Popeye is currently my favorite game in my lineup. Love the rules and depth. All the trash talk is hollow. Great game. For $800 it's a no brainer. Good luck.

Wow. You're digging Popeye over your TOM, IJ, EATPM, etc? I'm going to have to find one and play it.

#25 6 years ago

Flintstones is way better than Popeye but you'd be a fool to not just buy both. I mean the WPC board set is worth what you're paying for that Popeye.

Flintstones is good game but easy. It has more of a following than Popeye. I definitely traded my super nice reimported flintstones for a Congo so it is a desirable game for sure

#26 6 years ago

Buy both, sell or trade the one you like least

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

you'd be a fool to not just buy both.

He already stated that his wife won't let him. But it was novel that he included that option in the poll.

wear-the-pants-relationship (resized).jpgwear-the-pants-relationship (resized).jpg

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

Wow. You're digging Popeye over your TOM, IJ, EATPM, etc? I'm going to have to find one and play it.

Believe it or not I am... lol.

Of course that can change when something else comes along, but I bought a Popeye without ever having played one just based on the negative hype by most but the positive feedback from actual owners. Great move, such a fun game with humorous animations, etc. I put a color DMD on it which adds to the awesomeness. Most techs and operators I have met agree that its underrated.

#29 6 years ago

Also, by the way... Servicing and waxing the Popeye playfield is a dream in comparison to other games. I have worked on many games and the design on Popeye is outstanding. The entire upper playfield is on a hinge system. Take off the Bluto head (two screws) and two more screws directly under him and the whole field raises to expose the pop bumper section. Genious!

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

He already stated that his wife won't let him. But it was novel that he included that option in the poll.

Haha! Nice picture

It's nothing like that, my game room has a lot of other stuff in it that needs to be sold/ organized. With that being said, im buying both games. Thank you for all the buy both comments it helped on my end of the argument

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I missed that. I only looked at the the poll option honestly. Lol. I doubt she'd divorce him over $800 dollars anyway.

Next time ask for forgiveness and not permission there big guy

#32 6 years ago

i voted before i saw the price, buy both you idiot, pull the trigger! i mean good luck with purchase, and keep your source of games quiet , there are vultures around here...

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Next time ask for forgiveness and not permission there big guy

Best advice I've heard all day!

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from asrtiv1:

With that being said, im buying both games.

That's more like it!

sexist-van-heusen-ad (resized).jpgsexist-van-heusen-ad (resized).jpg

#35 6 years ago

Lol. That is one of those deals that is super rare these days. $800 working WPC games are drying up quick. They still pop up from time to time but the time to buy is as soon as you see them. If she doesn't like it then sell it today for $2000 and buy her some earrings or something like that lol. Good luck man. Awesome find

#36 6 years ago

Popeye is dogged because of Steve Ritchie. Those that actually play it and learn the deep rule set will enjoy it. Is it the best? No. Does it deserve the #244 ranking? No friggin way. The more people play and give their real assessments we will see this the ranking slowly rise.

#37 6 years ago

Both themes are complete balls to me. Based on play flintstones wins this hands down for me.

#38 6 years ago

Had both Flintstones is long gone. Popeye is still here. Much deeper game and a lot more fun. Popeye wins here. I mean really, 4 modes and you reach the wizard mode in Flintstones!!! That's one of the reasons why i got rid of it, it was too damn easy!

#39 6 years ago

Popeye is honestly a really good, challenging machine, great call outs, and unique widebody. One of my favorites

#40 6 years ago

why isn't neither an option?
gun to the head, flinstones is a better player of the two but still not a fun lasting game.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Popeye is honestly a really good, challenging machine, great call outs, and unique widebody. One of my favorites

This man speaks the truth.

5 months later
#42 6 years ago

I'm late to the party here but Popeye all the way. I had a Flintstones ......... it's fun for a short time .... there just isn't enough going on to sustain interest.

Popeye on the other hand offers real challenge with a deepish ruleset - once you figure out what the heck is going on I love the game

A guide to Popeye I wrote at the peak of my sailor man obsession .....

https://papa.org/wp-content/uploads/Popeye.pdf

#43 6 years ago

Flintstones.

WISH someone would create new code for it. Mixing up ramp shots etc. Could be soooo much better w better rule set.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 6.95
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popeye-or-flintstones?hl=jar155 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.