• Latest reply 3 years ago by InfiniteLives
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Popeye”

(0 votes)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

PopeyeSanctum.jpg

#1 3 years ago

Hello, Im going to buy one of these two pinballs, which one do you think is going to be the best one?
Currently I own a Lethal Weapon, Fishtales, Addams Family and a Getaway

Thanks

#2 3 years ago

People knock popeye, but I think its pretty fun and the better game between the two.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from sebess:

Hello, Im going to buy one of these two pinballs, which one do you think is going to be the best one?
Currently I own a Lethal Weapon, Fishtales, Addams Family and a Getaway
Thanks

Popeye. It gets a bad rap, but it's not a bad game. Full featured widebody with a deep ruleset. Back to the Future is a great theme...and that's about it.

#4 3 years ago

BTTF, no question. I played Popeye finally this fall, and the anti-hype it has.. is well deserved imho. The Ship in the middle is horrendous.

#5 3 years ago

Both are pretty bad games but Popeye at least as some deep and convoluted (if difficult to understand) software. Great sound and music too.

Back to the future is just terrible and you don't even get Marty in the art. One of the all-time pinball licensing beef ups.

#6 3 years ago

back to the future....its better

#7 3 years ago

Bttf

#8 3 years ago

Popeye. It actually has a good set of rules and once you get the shots down it is a fun game.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Both are pretty bad games but Popeye at least as some deep and convoluted (if difficult to understand) software. Great sound and music too.
Back to the Future is just terrible and you don't even get Marty in the art. One of the all-time pinball licensing beef ups.

+1... I owned a nice BTTF for a short while and it is a terrible game despite the great theme! by far my least favorite game I have ever owned and you'd have to pay me to own another one.-not worth the space. Popeye isn't great but it has fairly deep rules and is challenging and different to play. If I were rating the games BTTF would get an F and Popeye is about a C+.

#10 3 years ago

Popeye all the way. The Sanctum just got a Popeye last night with a ColorDMD. Makes even Ironman look boring.

PopeyeSanctum.jpg

#11 3 years ago

I'd pass on both an wait for something better to come along.

#13 3 years ago

POPEYE!

Best multiball start callouts ever.

Fun rules. Unique playfields. Nice art and how can you not love Popeye?

-Jim

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Popeye!
Best multiball start callouts ever.
Fun rules. Unique playfields. Nice art and how can you not love Popeye?
-Jim

Lots of people are horrified by the "popeye the environmentalist" theme. Because...uh...you know...the environment sucks and all.

#15 3 years ago

popeye is better, I regret selling mine sometimes. great rules and some great shots

#16 3 years ago

I've only played each game once.

BTTF is a good theme, but gameplay was lacking.

Popeye doesn't speak to me from a theme perspective, but the gameplay is interesting.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've only played each game once.
BTTF is a good theme, but gameplay was lacking.
Popeye doesn't speak to me from a theme perspective, but the gameplay is interesting.

Popeye feels like they just cut bait and ran, after investing way too much time and money. Must have been nice to be designing pinballs in the wake of Addams Family. The software is very deep, but is missing tons of finishing touches. For instance, completing the upper playfield is one of the hardest things to do in pinball, but when you "finish" it nothing happens. I completed it a couple times and I still have no idea if you get an award or points. I don't think it's horrible and don't detest the playfield layout but it sure ain't a classic. I can certainly see why it's so hated by many - at one point it was considered the worst WPC game ever made but I'd guess these days people would say Hurricane (which is a lot more fun in my opinion)?

Popeye sold decent numbers actually, but I heard that's because they were forcing distributors to buy it if they wanted the latest Mortal Kombat game (no idea if that's actually true).

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

For instance, completing the upper playfield is one of the hardest things to do in pinball, but when you "finish" it nothing happens. I completed it a couple times and I still have no idea if you get an award or points.

You get 50 million points for finding Sweet Pea.

#19 3 years ago

Popeye has that huge toilet bowl in the middle and you can't see the ball 42% of the time! Also its preachy global warming political backtheme is a blatant attempt at brainwashing if you axe me! It's funny in some way's and fun but I can't stand games the hide the ball so much...

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

... For instance, completing the upper playfield is one of the hardest things to do in pinball, but when you "finish" it nothing happens. I completed it a couple times and I still have no idea if you get an award or points. ...

Are you kidding? Wow, throw your opinion out. When you rescue him he crawls across the screen in front of a giant 50,000,000 (if you ever did complete it).

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from homebrood:

It's funny in some way's and fun but I can't stand games the hide the ball so much...

How about the flipper blinders on tommy?

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Are you kidding? Wow, throw your opinion out. When you rescue him he crawls across the screen in front of a giant 50,000,000 (if you ever did complete it).

A difference in game ROM versions, maybe?

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

How about the blinders on tommy?

Well that's incorporated into the game pretty well but I don think it's used too much. I kinda like Tommy... but my name is Tommy so...

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

A difference in game ROM versions, maybe?

I don't think so. I've seen different versions and it is not in the revision list.

#25 3 years ago

Popeye by far. I have no problem seeing the O Y L though the pool. 50 million is scored after completing the maze. Crazy fast orbit. Great callouts & the only pin I have on attract mode. "I'll take two."

#26 3 years ago

popeye

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 24.00
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Boards
PinSound
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sale Pending!
Nothing, AZ
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 28.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tamarac, FL
$ 50.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside