You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0414.jpg
IMG_0420.jpg
popeye 1.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I am interested in a Popeye that someone is selling near me. It has a strange issue. This is what he said..The game has been lightly used and has one issue. The issue is that sometimes the last ball will drain while in play. The machines says game over, flippers stop working, and ball drains. 

It's always the last ball. Any ideas? Expensive fix? Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

Sounds like a ball trough opto issue to me. That's where I would start.

#3 9 years ago

Could be as simple as a trough switch issue in which case it's an easy fix. But it's hard to know 100% for sure without more information.

#4 9 years ago

Could be a bunch of things. My #1 thought is that the 6 ball trough opto is acting up, because those always fail. You can get a new set of those for like $80. You should also double and triple check the lock mech on this machine. Ours always had issues due to the bracket drooping.

#5 9 years ago

Thanks everyone!

#6 9 years ago

Good luck with the purchase. Looks like you are set on emulating my unique collection. First Maverick and now potentially Popeye. Then you just need a JD, STTNG and Laser War to make it complete.

I would agree, probably a trough opto issue. They are notorious on widebody pins and replacements are readily available. Hope you get the game, don't let the haters who haven't even played it or put a couple games on a broken one deter you, it's a great challenging game.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

it's a great challenging game.

+1 on that....

#8 9 years ago

Actually I would LOVE a STTNG...

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from CadillacMusic:

Could be a bunch of things. My #1 thought is that the 6 ball trough opto is acting up, because those always fail. You can get a new set of those for like $80.

I would not recommend replacements unless you have no ability to solder, or the ones you have are fubar'd beyond any repair. If you do, please give me the old ones if you will!

The new ones are all SMD and thus most of us can't repair those, and those optos seem to fail even more frequently then the through hole ones do. I have never had to deal with a repaired opto board again in my time, but people I know that bought the SMD ones seem to have an issue with them 2-3 years down the road.

My advise is that when there is any possible trough opto issue, pull both boards, break the piggy bank for the $5 in parts and install all new receivers and emitters. My experience is that if you have one intermittent opto and fix it alone, you will soon have another, and another.

6 months later
#10 9 years ago

Did you to take all the balls out? Turn it on and then feed the balls to the drain one at a time.
Also I put the marco ball trough liner in. Its under $10. Seems to be fine!
UPDATE FOR ALL. . . / / / trough liner didn't help Realigned opto pcb for trough. Helped alot. also noticed it doesnt do the swirling thing/ thinking/ in between players anymore.

popeye 1.jpgpopeye 1.jpg

IMG_0420.jpgIMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0414.jpgIMG_0414.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 85.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 37.50
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popeye-help-needed-asap-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.