Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

popeyeweld2.jpg
popeyeweld1.jpg
a18000b.jpg
a-18000a.jpg

#1 9 years ago

Looks like my Popeye won't be saving the Earth anytime soon...
Best place to buy a new center weldment? Anyone have a spare or NOS?
Mine had been welded before (prior owners) but as you can see from the pics, is in a broken state right now.
Thanks for any tips/leads.

a-18000a.jpga-18000a.jpg a18000b.jpga18000b.jpg
#2 9 years ago

this happened to me and i got it welded back and havnt had any issues since, been a year now

#3 9 years ago

My was like that also ,best thing too do is get it welded again ,my has been two years and its been great .

#4 9 years ago

Have it rewelded but by a good welder. All of the old has to be taken off then it has to have long beads along the edges not just the cheap tack welds.

Look at the last few posts of my thread and you will see an example from a weld I just did for an AF

This is how you want it done. You can show the pics to a machinist so he understands.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-failed-today-modern-pinball-machine-fails/page/5#post-2132343

#5 9 years ago

Yes that's how my TAF was also ,it has too be done right for it too last a long time

#6 9 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. It does look repairable and will contact a few local shops to see what they will charge. What should I expect to pay for it to be done right?

#7 9 years ago

We usually go to our welder with all 3 Addams Family scoops (chair, swamp, thing) and only charges about $20.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from ngoett:

We usually go to our welder with all 3 Addams Family scoops (chair, swamp, thing) and only charges about $20.

Very nice..I used to weld myself (temporary horse stalls) many moons ago.

I actually have someone that welds and fabricates car projects that's gonna have a look at it tonight so hopefully he can help.
If he can, going to ask him to fill the cracks with weld for more strength.

I think when i get it back that I will line the two vertical edges of the scoop with some sort of rubber so it's not so dead on SS ball to sharp metal edge(s). Seems very abrasive to the ball(s).

Is there something like that on the market already?

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

Have it rewelded but by a good welder. All of the old has to be taken off then it has to have long beads along the edges not just the cheap tack welds.
Look at the last few posts of my thread and you will see an example from a weld I just did for an AF
This is how you want it done. You can show the pics to a machinist so he understands.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-failed-today-modern-pinball-machine-fails/page/5#post-2132343

Thanks! My friend welded it together tonight. When I get back with the part, I'll post some pics.

#10 9 years ago

Here are two pics after the welding...Not so sure that the right side was to be flattened and welded all the way up but that's what he did ( I actually asked him to do that for strength).

Put all the switches and coils back on it, installed it back under the playfield.

Works great but I think now that the "mouth" is not as wide as it once was, definitely makes for a harder scoop shot. Also get a lot more "CLACK" as the ball strikes the two upper scoop edges.
Which is why I want to put some protection there.

Don't think it'll break again or at least for a long time!

popeyeweld1.jpgpopeyeweld1.jpg
popeyeweld2.jpgpopeyeweld2.jpg

Yeah, that right side shouldn't have been flattened and welded all the way up..Oh My Gorsch! I definitely missed that one (not enough research)...Gonna make it more challenging for sure!

Post edited by CUJO: FollowUp

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popeye-center-weldment and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.