(Topic ID: 74892)

Popcorn machine...... who has one

By JDubbbs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7965 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 01-25-43 Dune Part Two Stars React to AMC Theaters' Viral Sandworm Popcorn Bucket 'That's Not Okay' (re
    GEueuzBWEAAO143 (resized).jpg
    GEueu0AWwAEnoGO (resized).jpg
    IMG_0013 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240101_194505_Gallery (resized).jpg
    IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    bar jdubbs 2 (resized).jpg
    bar jdubbs 1 (resized).jpg
    20230223_091543 (resized).jpg
    20230222_155014 (resized).jpg
    20230220_154212 (resized).jpg
    20230220_180046 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9560874E-49C3-4C46-AA38-3DCB82C78C01 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wolfmarsh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#59 9 years ago

You guys are making me want a popcorn machine really bad. We make popcorn at least twice a week, but I've been doing it on the stovetop all this time.

I see a bunch of places selling the Paragon Cineplex 4oz for $300. Is that about right?

Can you also recommend a place to get supplies and what to get? I like the idea of pre-portioned bags.

#62 9 years ago

They have some Great Northern 8oz starter kits for less than $200 on amazon, and it says it has a warmer tray too. Is Great Northern decent?

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Northern-Popcorn-Black-Foundation/dp/B002YOVGR6

#70 9 years ago

Thanks everyone. Especially for the links.

#92 9 years ago

I'll be taking vid's approach to cleaning it.

#105 9 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Ours showed up today.

Nice!

I'm waiting to order mine until November when I have some of the last renovations to the game room done.

Keep posting your experience with it, including your "recipes" if you don't mind. I see you got popcorn bags. I cant decide between bags or boxes. Thoughts?

#107 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Usually you get 25 bags with the home units.

They are really small bags, you won't be impressed.

Is that a vote for the cardboard boxes?

1 month later
    #136 9 years ago

Just ordered a great northern 8oz machine. Can't wait!

#140 9 years ago
    Quoted from tpn2011:

Thanks to this thread I just bought one this morning just Because it sounded like a good idea
    LOL

I think Great Northern and Paragon should donate some money to Pinside for all the sales this thread generated, lol.

#142 9 years ago

It's here and set up. Just waiting on the kids to get home from school for the first batch.

DSC01315 (Medium).JPGDSC01315 (Medium).JPG

3 weeks later
    #164 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You don't clean them, ever.
    Unless the inside of the kettle burns black because you put some crazy wrong oil in there, you just leave it.
    Just like a coffee pot, you don't clean it because the boiling water kills any bacteria - you don't clean the kettle because 500*F is going to kill bacteria and the flavor only gets better the more seasoned the kettle gets.

I took your earlier advice about not cleaning it and I think I'm enjoying mine much more because of it. I just take a paper towel and wipe anything visibly caked outside of the kettle and wipe the glass down.

Not a pain to keep clean at all.

1 week later
    #202 9 years ago

Yes, you can just make 4 ounces with it.

On their FAQ page: http://www.greatnorthernpopcorn.com/t-faqs.aspx

"If I have any 8 ounce kettle, do I have to make 8 ounces?

Absolutely not! One of the reasons the Great Northern Popcorn Company designed their model with an 8 ounce kettle is so 1 machine could meet the demands of a concession business and still work for the home theater. We speak from experience when we tell you that an 8 ounce kettle is a must have. Please check our ebay store for our complete line of popcorn portion packs. We stock 3 sizes for all your popcorn needs."

Microwave popcorn bags are typically around 3 ounces.

BTW, I couldn't be happier with our Great Northern machine. I also got the 8oz, and we love it. We are popping 8oz at a time right now. We do always have some left over that I toss the next day, but it's not really that expensive to begin with.

The cleaning is as hard as you make it. If you are obsessive about the kettle being perfectly clean every time, don't buy one. If you are cool with wiping it down with a paper towel, and cleaning the glass every so often, it's awesome.

#211 9 years ago
    Quoted from Tkaye:

Thanks for the advice. Just ordered mine!

popcorn.jpg 103 KB

That's the exact one I got, you'll enjoy the hell out of it!

#220 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pintopia:

What I do after each use is bring a small bucket of warm soapy water and a sponge and wipe down the interior including the kettle. Then dry using a towel. That's it still looks new after 3 years.
    Don

Maybe I'm the nasty one here, but I took Vid's advice to heart. I literally run a dry paper towel around the outside of the kettle and just inside, every couple of days of use.

2 weeks later
    #249 9 years ago

Go with the great Northern, you won't be disappointed. I also ordered directly from great northern. At the time, the unit with the cart was cheaper through great northern directly.

If amazon has a better price on the same item, go with amazon.

#251 9 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I just can't justify spending all that money on the Paragon machine when I can buy this one with a cart for half the price. I realize it isn't made as well, but I'm sure it will still make some tasty corn.

You won't be disappointed. I had the same concerns as you, that the Great Northern machine would be lower quality, but I honestly think it's great quality. It's a popcorn machine, not a sherman tank.

I think the longevity of them has more to do with how you take care of them. Mine still looks brand new, and we've done over 100 batches of popcorn already. We do at least 2-3 a week, and did 4-5 a day during the holidays when we had family in town.

#253 9 years ago

I use the great northern brand ones, it comes with everything including the Flavacol.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Northern-Popcorn-Portion-Counts/dp/B000PDY3HI/ref=sr_1_4

#291 9 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Okay, I just made my first batch. I used the Gold Medal pack and followed the exact instructions on the back. The good news is that the popcorn is excellent ... nice and crispy with just the right amount of seasoning. The bad news is that there were a ton of unpopped kernels. I feel like I didn't quite squeeze all the oil out of the bag, so this could be partially to blame.

You can't really compare it to what you are used to as far as unpopped kernels (old maids). I was surprised by it too. You get what seems like a ton of them. I got in the habit of tossing the popped corn around with the scoop to help the old maids fall in the drawer.

The way I do it is to turn the kettle and stirrer on, squeeze in the oil, wait a few minutes then pour in the kernels and salt.

#303 9 years ago

kingfishtr, you should ask your boss if we can get some special Pinside, direct from the factory, pricing on popcorn supplies.

I'm betting you'd get some orders.

#306 9 years ago
    Quoted from kingfishtr:

Courier freight on popcorn supplies would kill the deal. Popcorn kits are heavy, any glaze pop products with sugar are heavy. Better off buying from your local dealer most likely. We have a Gold Medal Carolina branch in Greensboro. I think the closest Gold Medal dealer to you would be Cromer's P-Nuts in Columbia, SC.

Thanks for making the effort to look up the dealer closest to me, I really appreciate it when someone takes an extra step.

I'll switch my supplies to Gold Medal next time I stock up.

#310 9 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I'm really loving my popper. One thing that is kind of annoying is the small gap above the doors. It allows a few kernels to fly out during popping. This is obviously not safe, and I have to make sure my kids aren't standing too close. Is this gap supposed to be there, or are my doors mounted a little low?

My door is a little low as well, so I was going to print little plastic washers to lift the door up a little to stop the hole, but it looks then it wouldn't hold the little silver angle thing up either.

I was going to take a closer look at it at some point.

#312 9 years ago

I'll grab a pic of mine before I modify it, it's hung so low the door barely touches the magnet that holds it closed. I just want to make it a little smaller of a gap and get the door handle thingy aligned with the magnet better.

4 weeks later
    #380 9 years ago

Just made a fresh batch for some afternoon conference calls.

2 weeks later
    #408 9 years ago

I cringe when I think about cleaning a cotton candy machine. How bad are they?

#414 9 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

If were weren't headed out I would have! I always keep some dogs on the ready. And beer. Did I mention beer?

I sound like a weirdo with the cleaning comments, lol, but what's involved in cleaning the hot dog roller? My wife saw it over my shoulder and thinks it's cool.

#419 9 years ago

Thanks for the info, that doesn't sound too bad. The popcorn machine doesn't bother me to clean, so I guess we will pick up a hot dog roller in the future.

1 month later
    #441 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

It's normal for some kernels to fly out. Not much you can do about that. I've found that I have to monitor the lid during popping to make sure one of the sides doesn't get stuck in the up position. If this happens, I carefully knock it back down.

I 3D printed a little doohickey that sits on top of the little aluminum collar on the stirrer rod on top of the kettle and turns around while it turns. It has just enough of an arm to push the lids back down if they get stuck up.

I'll post some pics this weekend. I'd be willing to print them for the people with great northern machines, it clips right on.

#452 8 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Princeton does have this feature. Based on my research, the "warming deck" is really a marketing term for the heat lamp (bulb) that keeps the popcorn warm.

That's not true. The heated deck ones actually have a heating element under the deck.

EDIT: gweem beat me to it.

#475 8 years ago

I won't use those flavorings because vid and others said not to.

#479 8 years ago

Sorry it took me a bit to post this, there were some changes I wanted to make to the thing before I posted it. If a couple of people have the problem with the flaps staying up like I did, let me know. I'd like to get 2-3 people to test it and give me feedback before I open it up to sending one to everyone.

It's just a little printed thing that slides on and rotates with the metal collar.

GreatNorthernPopcornWidget_Model.jpgGreatNorthernPopcornWidget_Model.jpg

GreatNorthernPopcornWidget_Installed1.jpgGreatNorthernPopcornWidget_Installed1.jpg

GreatNorthernPopcornWidget_Installed2.jpgGreatNorthernPopcornWidget_Installed2.jpg

And here is a short video of it working:

#483 8 years ago

PM me your addresses and I'll drop some in the mail.

#486 8 years ago
    Quoted from pkiefert:

Wolfmarsh,
    We have one at the office and could test for you. We have our own 3D printer and can print it ourselves to save you postage if you wanted.
    Although ours is PLA only at the moment and I can see that area getting a little toasty.

I've been printing them in PLA and it's been fine. I haven't noticed anything major. The PLA I've been using does extrude around 205 C, so I am still worried about it being effected by the heat. It would have to get over 450 F above the kettle to really do anything scary like make the part mushy.

I was going to send these guys an ABS one as well just in case.

If you want the files, just drop me a PM with your email and I'll send them over. You can play with it and see if you want to make any tweaks.

#497 8 years ago

Got all the little popcorn widget thingies mailed out.

Two in each package, the red one is printed in PLA which has a lower working temperature and the white one is ABS that is more flexible and has a higher working temperature.

Both should work fine for the application, but I figured why not print both. To put them on, I just put it up against the metal shaft and wiggle it back and forth like wrenching it around the shaft, it pops on no problem.

1 week later
    #498 8 years ago

Got a couple of reports that the little widgets are working well, but I'm not too keen on taking money from pinsiders for something as simple as this.

I've got a couple of options for anyone who wants one:

#1 - If you have access to a 3D printer, I've uploaded the model to Thingiverse. You can download it and print your own. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:831659

#2 - If you want to order it from Shapeways, I've uploaded it there as well. There is no upcharge on the price, you are paying their cost, I make no profit. Shapeways will hit you for about $10 for one of them. http://shpws.me/HLwQ

#3 - Because I can print them cheaper than Shapeways, I'm also willing to offer to do 2 of the little popcorn widgets, you can pick the color from what I have available, shipped anywhere in the US for $10. I'll donate $5 from every order to Give Kids the World in Orlando, FL. I'll post proof of the donations. You can learn more about them at http://www.gktw.org/about/

If anyone wants to take me up on option 3, just PM me and we'll get it taken care of.

#501 8 years ago

I ordered this exact one, at this exact link direct from Great Northern.

I'm very happy with it, and I know my popcorn widget thing fits it.

1 week later
    #517 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

Does it stay fresh this way? My wife didn't want to try out the popcorn machine last night because it was just the two of us and she didn't want to "waste food". I told her there are 48 pre-measured bags and to just try out her new toy.
    It's funny, if we go to the theatre she scarves down the kernels so quickly I can barely get my hand into the bag.

Mine will stay fresh as long as I keep the light/heater on, even for a day or two. As soon as I turn the light off though, in about 2 hours it's stale.

Here in Charleston the humidity is high, even though it's in an air conditioned room, so things tend to go stale really quickly.

#527 8 years ago

FWIW, I never do the pre-kernel.

I just let it warm up for 5 minutes or so then pour the kernels/salt mix in. You should expect there to be more un-popped kernels than you are used to seeing with microwave or stovetop popcorn. I was surprised at how many there are.

I do a "popcorn toss" right after I dump the bucket. I use the scoop and push the pop corn around and toss it up a little to push the old maids into the holes.

Based on someone's earlier advice in this thread, I also do the popping like an hour before we want to eat it if I can. I agree with them that it gets better sitting on the warming tray for an hour.

1 week later
    #533 8 years ago

What do you mean stale?

Like you bought already popped popcorn and it was stale, or all of your kernels turn out gross and stale?

#535 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

A nubie mistake is too put the corn in too early, and when it finally pops, it comes out kinda chewy (like stale popcorn).
    Make sure the oil is crazy hot, before adding the corn.

Can you overheat the oil? What happens if you leave it heating for 20 minutes?

Not asking for any particular reason other than curiosity. I've wondered what would happen if I turned on the kettle with oil in it and forgot for 30 minutes. Never done it to test because I didn't want to risk ruining my kettle. I assumed it was like a fryer, it would get to temp and stay at it with no damage, but I'm too chicken to test.

#537 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

There is a high limit cut off switch bolted to a stud on the bottom of the kettle that keeps the oil from getting too hot should the normal thermostat switch fail.
    Should the thermostat AND the high limit switches both somehow fail, it could ignite the oil.

So is it safe to say that if the thermostat is operating normally, you could let your kettle warm for 10-15 minutes before you pop and you could be sure it was heated enough? (With oil in of course)

#542 8 years ago
    Quoted from JimB:

Why not stick to five minutes like was stated above?

I always do, but as stated, I was just curious. Haven't you ever been curious?

#543 8 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

It tastes stale as soon as it's popped, real chewy. I'm heating the oil for six minutes. The only reason I think it's the popcorn is my neighbor loaned me a few 8oz kits (unbranded) and they came out great. I don't want to buy kits though since I've got a gallon of oil and Flavacol sitting here.

Ah.

I only use the kits. They come out great.

#560 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I use my thumb and forefinger to squeeze out the solidified oil. If there is any left, I will roll up the bag like a tube of toothpaste to squeeze out the last bit. To make it easier to handle, I usually pour the popcorn and flavacol in a separate cup first. I then cut off just the oil part of the packet. It's easier than dealing with the whole bag in such a confined space.

I emailed Great Northern to suggest that they perforate the packaging between the oil pack and the salt/corn side. Then you could tear it off and use a toothpaste tube squeezer or something to do it.

Never heard back.

#567 8 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

Taken from a website alert I got. Slickdeals.net. The remainder of this message is from the alert email I got.
    Great Northern Popcorn 8oz Portion Packs (Case of 40) $36.99 and FS @Costco.com
    I buy these all-in-one popcorn packs for easy popcorn making at home and also for sale at my 3 boy’s little league games.
    You can’t mess up as everything is pre-measure and ready to go. Everyone loves the taste as it is the same fresh results you get at the movies. Check out the reviews on Amazon…They are 4.4/5 with almost 2,000 reviews.
    Costco.com (Case of 40) @ $36.99 FS.
    http://www.costco.com/Great-Northern-Popcorn-8-oz.-Portion-Packs-Unpopped-Popcorn-40---Count.product.100035600.html
    I have been buying cases on a regular basis for the past three years and this is the lowest price I have ever seen them sell for.
    Amazon.com #1 Best Seller http://slickdeals.net/?pv=&au=&sdtid=7913031&sdop=1&sdpid=76487775&sdfid=9&sdfib=1&lno=2&trd=1+Best+Seller&u2=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FGreat-Northern-Popcorn-Portion-Counts%2Fdp%2FB000PDY3HI (Case of 24) @$34.91

Wow, that's a great price.

What's the shelf life on these packs? Trying to gauge how much I should stock up.

#588 8 years ago

We like to shake on kernel seasonings powder sometimes, in our individual buckets.

The white cheddar is my favorite.

3 weeks later
    #611 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Thanks!! I just ordered one!

You are gonna love it.

We did three 8oz packages on the 4th of July, the popcorn was a huge hit.

#615 8 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

I'm planning on an 8oz maker. How well does a smaller quantity work? Can I put a 2oz or 4oz and the corresponding oil in it? The reason I ask is I'm wondering if the oil for 2oz or 4oz will be "deep" enough in a larger 8oz kettle for it to work well. Most of the time I'd be consuming a small amount but I want a bigger kettle when there's a party going on...

I've never done a 2oz in my 8oz, but I've done the 4oz packs in it just fine.

#617 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

I should have bought a 16oz version! My wife had her family over last week and we went through 15 pre-packed 8oz bags!

Whoa! That's like 4 billion dollars at a movie theater.

#644 8 years ago

I checked and I also have a small amount of rust on the screws and gear. I'll treat them this weekend and try to take pics/notes.

#646 8 years ago

If nobody does it before I get to it on Saturday night then I will for sure.

#649 8 years ago

Mine has had no reaction on the top or the hanging brackets for the kettle. My rust is just on the screw hardware they used and the e-clip they used I believe.

#655 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Here is my "Blue Line" (read: lower cost, made for Sam's Club version) Gold Medal popper that MsBally bought for me eleven years ago. It has made a lot of popcorn. Still no rust.
    A bargain price is soon forgotten when poor product quality rears its head.....

It's definitely aggravating that they effed up something as easy as the right type of fasteners. I'm gonna have to make time Saturday to go to Fastenal and pick up the appropriate stuff. I've also got to pack up the project that's on my workbench so I can have somewhere to do the repairs to the popcorn machine. *grrrrrrr*

#659 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

So here's the real question. Is this problem just cosmetic, or is it truly something to be concerned about. It's not as if the popcorn ever touches the ceiling of the popper.

It's not harmful in the amounts we would eat.

I just don't want to have screws I can't remove in another 6 months.

#669 8 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

this thread has officially made me sad

Like others are saying, I don't know why you would be sad. This thread has been pretty cool.

We are adults that made the choice to buy the cheaper model, and now we get to do some repairs. It's frustrating, but not the end of the world.

I'm still going to make popcorn this afternoon before I remove the rust, it's really nothing that would hurt you. Like I mentioned above, I just don't want to have screws that can't be removed in 6-12 months because the heads rusted out.

#674 8 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Thanks Wolfmarsh! This thing stops the occasional open door!

Glad it's working for you. I just did a batch myself!

The only negative side-effect of my little popcorn widget is that you have to shut off the stirrer at the right spots if you want the lid to actually stay up while you pour in the corn.

#679 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Or is it to bump it back down in case it gets stuck "open"?

This. It bumps it back down if they get stuck open, a common thing on these great northern poppers.

2 weeks later
    #720 8 years ago

That's sad to hear. best thoughts for his family.

1 week later
    #733 8 years ago

I just made a batch. Haven't fixed the rust yet.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wolfmarsh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one?tu=wolfmarsh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.