(Topic ID: 74892)

Popcorn machine...... who has one

By JDubbbs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7965 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 01-25-43 Dune Part Two Stars React to AMC Theaters' Viral Sandworm Popcorn Bucket 'That's Not Okay' (re
    GEueuzBWEAAO143 (resized).jpg
    GEueu0AWwAEnoGO (resized).jpg
    IMG_0013 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240101_194505_Gallery (resized).jpg
    IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    bar jdubbs 2 (resized).jpg
    bar jdubbs 1 (resized).jpg
    20230223_091543 (resized).jpg
    20230222_155014 (resized).jpg
    20230220_154212 (resized).jpg
    20230220_180046 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9560874E-49C3-4C46-AA38-3DCB82C78C01 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scotty_k.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1371 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I always buy #50 popcorn bags...[quoted image]

Speaking of which, I'm looking to purchase a 50 lb. bag. What would you good folks recommend? I have been looking at both Paragon and Great Northern (someone gave me some GN 8 oz packs, which we like a great deal).

Any thoughts?

#1373 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Popcorn is sold to the vendor by weight, but sold to the public by volume.
    So get the largest kernel you can.
    Only buy from a vendor that turns over TONS of corn a week. Old popcorn does not pop very big, and is often chewy.
    Also, don't get "mushroom" unless you are making Kettle or Carmel corn.
    Find your local "concession supply" store, and get a 50lb bag for $22.
    Don't worry too much about a brand name, the store will tell you what "the" big seller is.
    Store it in a 5 gal sealed pail, and fill a tupperware from that.

Great! This helps a great deal. Thanks so much!

2 weeks later
    #1403 5 years ago

I've had my Great Northern popper for a little over a year now, and I'm glad I made the purchase. It certainly makes it rather difficult to go back to microwave popcorn, that's for sure.

I recently purchased a 50lb. bag of GN popcorn, so I can now officially say that I have popcorn "up the wahzoo". I put it in a 5 gal. resealable bucket, but I still had close to 10lb. left, which I put in some smaller containers.

The only gripe that I have is with adding the coconut oil. I have a gallon jug of the stuff, and while in the summertime it's easy to scoop out, this time of year it becomes something of a challenge, especially as I'm getting much lower into the container. I think, however, I've come up with something of a solution that has been working out great, and cuts down on the prep time. My wife has some mini muffin tins that are non-stick, so what I did was scoop some of the coconut oil into a measuring cup, stick it in the microwave to melt it into liquid, and then pour it into the mold. I then place it into the fridge for about 15 minutes to harden up a bit, then remove it and place it in the freezer for another 15-20 minutes. When I take the tin out, now I have 24 nice little coconut oil pucks, that will pop out rather easily. I put two of them together (which is just the right amount of oil for the popper), wrap 'em up in some plastic wrap, and then put them all in a resealable plastic bag, and put them in my minifridge. Now when I make a batch of popcorn, I take out a pair and easily drop them in the kettle, and the popcorn and Flavacol, and we're good to go.

#1411 5 years ago
    Quoted from AAAV8R:

Well the new machine arrived and it has been popping every day since it got here.
    Picked these cheese powders up on Amazon. I just put some of the powder in a gallon size Ziploc and fill with popcorn. A few shakes and voila! So far the white cheddar is beating the regular cheddar in popularity.
    Just put an order in for jalepeño powder and ranch powder. I'm out of control!

...And this is how it starts...

Congrats and enjoy!

1 year later
    #1517 3 years ago
    Quoted from tjprice222:

It’s quiet in here. The wife and I have been making popcorn about three times a week since all this Covid stuff started up.

Ha! You and me both!

1 year later
    #1574 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:A few supply houses will ask if you have an account, just say "its for our church, Our Lady of the Lake". The guy won't find it on the computer, and you just tell him you'll pay cash then.[quoted image]

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I've been saying "Our Lady of the Evening" and couldn't understand why it wouldn't work...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scotty_k.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one?tu=scotty_k and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.