(Topic ID: 74892)

Popcorn machine...... who has one

By JDubbbs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7965 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 01-25-43 Dune Part Two Stars React to AMC Theaters' Viral Sandworm Popcorn Bucket 'That's Not Okay' (re
    GEueuzBWEAAO143 (resized).jpg
    GEueu0AWwAEnoGO (resized).jpg
    IMG_0013 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240101_194505_Gallery (resized).jpg
    IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    bar jdubbs 2 (resized).jpg
    bar jdubbs 1 (resized).jpg
    20230223_091543 (resized).jpg
    20230222_155014 (resized).jpg
    20230220_154212 (resized).jpg
    20230220_180046 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9560874E-49C3-4C46-AA38-3DCB82C78C01 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ovfdfireman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 10 years ago

Yeah, we have a machines on a cart, we have plenty of napkins too. I haven't noticed much of an issue. Most of my friend are cognizant of oily fingers and wash

1 year later
    #868 8 years ago

Not sure what you guys use to clean your popcorn machine. I use ZEP nontoxic degreaser. It's hands down the best thing I have used. Especially if you use ACT 2 popcorn oil from SAMs. Some sticky shit. This machine is 8 years old and I just gave it its annual cleaningimage.jpegimage.jpeg

1 year later
    #1098 6 years ago

I am a dealer for popcorn machines, american made right in Iowa. Have a great deal on an entry level Thifty Pop http://pinballpro.net/shop/thrifty-pop-popcorn-machine/

We carry Paragon, and have everything from thrifty or the antique style on a cart. Red, Black, stainless....Even huge commercial grade units.

Thanks Greg
    Pinbalpro.com

thrifty-pop-2 (resized).jpgthrifty-pop-2 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 10.17.35 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-05-15 at 10.17.35 PM (resized).png

1 month later
    #1128 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

This is not true.
    Every theater buys the LARGEST kernels available, because it makes them the most money (popcorn kernels are sold by WEIGHT, but the popped corn is sold by VOLUME. The larger the kernel, the more money you make because it costs less to fill the bucket).
    The XLG kernel popcorn at the theater is never tough, is it?
    -
    Things that make popcorn tough:
    1. Adding the oil and the kernels at the same time.
    2. Mushroom Popcorn - this popcorn is supposed to be tough, so you can coat it with Carmel or Kettle Corn mix without it getting broken. People buy this by accident all the time.
    3. Using cheap "popping oil" rather than real Coconut Oil.
    4. Not leaving both the warming light AND the deck warmer on after the corn is popped.
    5. Using real butter rather than Clarified or Ghee butter.
    5. Old corn that has lost it's moisture, thus does not pop to it's full size

Again, this is simply not true.
    Big Kernels are exactly what is used by every theater and professional concession vendor.
    Big kernels make big popped corn
    Look at the difference between Giant Yellow, Large White and standard grocery store popcorn:

I've installed 100s of popcorn machines over the years in theaters, restaurants, and fairgrounds. The larger the kernel, the lighter and fluffier the corn.

Good explaination, I would agree. We carry Iowa grown butterfly and mushroom corn. The butterfly corn is the best for theatre poppers and its large and crisp. We do 50 pounders and 12.5 pound bags. It's the way to go.

Local is usually better because of shipping, but nothing like good fresh corn. We pop a lot.

Greg
    Pinballpro.com

#1138 6 years ago

Agreed, fresh corn is the key to CRISP CORN. We are on the 3rd batch today! Popcorn is the cheapest and easiest snack in the game room.

I use these packets and buy fresh

IMG_7773 (resized).JPGIMG_7773 (resized).JPG

IMG_7775 (resized).JPGIMG_7775 (resized).JPG

1 week later
    #1141 6 years ago

If you have a crap ton of grease build up, I have found this cleaner, easily found as Menards or Home Depot cuts right though. Love this stuff, best cleaner, cheap!

Use this cleaner and a plastic scraper, be clean in not time!

IMG_7795 (resized).JPGIMG_7795 (resized).JPG

1 month later
    #1169 6 years ago
    Quoted from PAPinballer:

I'm currently renovating my game room and looking to get a Great American 8 oz popcorn machine for my wife but have some questions and hoping that someone can help me.
    Will an 8 oz machine be too much for a family of 5, of which only 2-3 love eating popcorn? I'll eat them if they're flavored like cheese or even better...covered with chocolate But it's mainly my wife and maybe 1 of my daughters currently living with us that eat popcorn. My oldest daughter recently moved to Chicago to start a new job but expects to be back visiting and she loves popcorn like my wife.
    Is it possible to pop any amount like 2 oz instead of 4 or 8 oz in an 8 oz machine? I know that Great American says that you can pop 4 oz in the 8 oz machine but there's no mention of going even smaller. I'm concerned that 4 oz might be too much so I'd like the flexibility in popping smaller amounts.
    How long can popcorn be stored in the machine before it gets too stale to eat?
    Thanks much for your help!!

As a popcorn lover, I have had a machine for about 12 years now, and before that a whirly stove top popper, I started with a 4 oz. A quality 4 oz machine is a small bowl or 1 oz for 4 people. I usually popped a couple batches. As my kids grew into teenagers I did choose to upgrade. I am a dealer for Paragon so it was easy to do. We got an 8oz which pops up the equivalent of a huge movie theatre bucket per batch. Two batches is a quite a bit, but great for company. It really depends on how many batches you want to make each time. I chose to upgrade when I was popping 4 to 6 batches each time.

6 oz sizes are also available.

A couple things to look for
    1. quality is a must, cheap machines simply do not perform. My first machine was a nostalgia from Sams, more seeds flew out of it than popped corn, huge disappointment. Also the popcorn seemed chewy, machine was trash

2. Quality kettle, makes crisp fresh popcorn, easy to clean, serviceable

3. Deck heater, some models come with deck heater while others do not. It's up to you, but if you make popcorn and want it warm and crisp 4 or 5 hours later you will want a deck heater. You won't regret it, budget minded models typically cut the heater, like our "thrifty" model

4. warranty and parts, buy a machine that you can call your dealer and get parts for. Popcorn machines aren't cheap but can literally last you 20 years of daily use

I would recommend this 4 oz machine, either with stand or without. It has the artwork facing the serving side (as for home use) is commercial grade, quality kettle, deck heater, and lifetime warranty..... yes I said lifetime. Just do your research.

http://pinballpro.net/shop/cineplex-red-popcorn-machine/

Greg M

1 year later
    #1385 5 years ago

Love this thread, I am a popcorn enthusiast from the whirly pop, to a paragon 8oz antique cart and popper, I have had some pretty crappy popcorn poppers over the years and learned the difference. Also purchased a kettle few years back. No we aren’t doing events, just pop for friends and charity.

We buy 1000lbs of corn at a time....I see all these people saying buy this corn or that corn.....whatever folks. Nebraska is where corn is grown....we have no other claim to fame....that’s it corn, best popcorn in the world. See that! 20,000 bushel bin of popcorn....We literally eat popcorn everyday. I serve it to customers at the office and we make it at home. Weekends we demolish 2 cups of white corn.

Btw my youngest son also loves popcorn corn, he is pictured! He also can solder hella circuit boards, anyone that has bought from us has seen his work.

728AF507-D0CC-4387-BD8D-59569F910B15 (resized).jpeg728AF507-D0CC-4387-BD8D-59569F910B15 (resized).jpegB0BC8E6A-D2CF-490A-AFF7-FEBA39A49B87 (resized).jpegB0BC8E6A-D2CF-490A-AFF7-FEBA39A49B87 (resized).jpegB387C89C-5D34-4982-BB2A-5EC69B71180F (resized).jpegB387C89C-5D34-4982-BB2A-5EC69B71180F (resized).jpegFC19B665-2891-43A9-A315-DE04855A3C88 (resized).jpegFC19B665-2891-43A9-A315-DE04855A3C88 (resized).jpegFFC5B3B9-EBE8-4143-B89D-B6CA5A00FA53 (resized).jpegFFC5B3B9-EBE8-4143-B89D-B6CA5A00FA53 (resized).jpeg

#1386 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Popcorn is sold to the vendor by weight, but sold to the public by volume.
    So get the largest kernel you can.
    Only buy from a vendor that turns over TONS of corn a week. Old popcorn does not pop very big, and is often chewy.
    Also, don't get "mushroom" unless you are making Kettle or Carmel corn.
    Find your local "concession supply" store, and get a 50lb bag for $22.
    Don't worry too much about a brand name, the store will tell you what "the" big seller is.
    Store it in a 5 gal sealed pail, and fill a tupperware from that.

Best advice, seal it in a 5 gallon pail.

As far as popcorn types, I love a tender white popcorn, made in olive oil light salt. This is healthy and incredible. We do yellow corn with coconut oil and butter for theatre style, unhealthy as hell but love it.

Popcorn types vary, snowflake or butterfly popcorn is well known for its use in theater-style and home-popped popcorn products, usually offered-up with nothing more than a little salt and perhaps some melted butter. Its relatively delicate shape means butterfly popcorn is best consumed fresh-popped for maximum crunch and freshness. It has fragile butterfly wings if you will....

Mushroom popcorn is perfect for confection-coated applications such as Caramel Corn. Its sturdy baseball shape (without those fragile butterfly wings) withstands the processes of candy-coating, and because of its exceptional surface area, accepts other flavors (like cheddar cheese!) very well too. The resulting products are less prone to crushing, and once coated, will tend to stay fresh and crispy much longer than their uncoated butterfly popcorn counterparts.

Also the expansion ratio is much higher on mushroom, so coated get a fuller bag for less $

D0E0CFDC-B482-4257-906C-8ED850BAC297 (resized).jpegD0E0CFDC-B482-4257-906C-8ED850BAC297 (resized).jpeg
    #1388 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

How does that compare in small batches? I considered getting one for my parents.

Frankly we use the whirly popper more than any other popper. Makes 1/2 cup, usually make double batch for more than two people. The thing gets washed once a week because we use it almost every day. These are perfect for older people, they probably used to have one as a kid!
    https://www.amazon.com/Wabash-Valley-Farms-Stovetop-Popcorn/dp/B00004SU35/ref=sr_1_1

#1396 5 years ago
    Quoted from GRB1959:

Thanks for the crash course in popcorning (new word I just made up). I have an 8 oz kettle and normally buy a case at a time of the packets which include the popcorn and coconut oil already measured out. This works out best for me.
    I have been ordering from Snappy Popcorn online for the past 8 years, but I just found a Gold Medal shop on my way to the airport so I will give them a try next time I need to re-stock which will save on shipping. I like to make popcorn anytime we have guests over and it is always a big hit. I didn't even realize that there are different types of popcorn (mushroom vs. butterfly) with regards to the actual shape of the popped kernel.
    Do you have a good recipe for making carmel corn or kettle corn? I have always wanted to make a batch, but wasn't sure of the recipe or the technique.
    Gord

I use premeasured pouches in my 8oz as well, seems the easiest and most consistent. Our popcorn popper is in our game room where we have no stove, so the added space of the popper is welcomed.

I use the whirly for making any kind of popcorn at home, but primarily white corn (like Colby Ridge). It is again the most healthy. In the whirly you can make basic corn for caramel coating, sugar corn, and even attempt kettle corn.

Recipes

Caramel
    Pinballlew’s recipe is pretty much the same as mine, I don’t use cream of tarter. This one is labor intensive and batch size is very limited in a residential oven. Another option is to use gold medal glaze pop for quick easy caramel corn. Does not require baking. Plus they have other flavors, I like the cinnamon as well. No doubt the real recipe with butter etc is better......but sometimes I am not willing to spend 2 hours making it so it’s nice to have a quick version. https://shop.gmpopcorn.com/products/caramel-glaze-pop-2525

Kettle
    I will be flat out honest, it will turn out “ok”. If it was easy to make kettle corn at home I would not have bought my own kettle. Timing is everything, when to add sugar etc, and heat must be high. If you use 1/2 cup corn, then use 1/4 cup sugar. High heat, plenty of oil, and add sugar just before corn is about to pop, but not so late it doesn’t melt. This will not work in a popcorn machine unless it is specifically meant for kettle corn, so it’s whirly popper or a special machine.

Hope that helps!

#1401 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

The gold medal caramel corn tasted like Cracker Jack popcorn to me when I used it. Pretty much a dead ringer if you ask me.

Perfect, add 3 1/2 peanuts and a toy and you have homemade cracker jacks! It does taste similar.

2 weeks later
    #1438 5 years ago
    Quoted from shepP:

Does anyone know what kind of large bags should be used so store popcorn? I'm talking about garbage size. The equivalent of 30 8oz popcorn batches. It's for a charity function. I know they sell large clear recycle bags but I'm not sure if they are safe for food and a lot of them have added chemicals/powders to reduce smell.

https://www.uline.com/BL_107/Uline-2-Mil-Industrial-Poly-Bags

These are common for kettle corn and they go very large and food safe

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ovfdfireman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one?tu=ovfdfireman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.