(Topic ID: 74892)

Popcorn machine...... who has one

By JDubbbs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7965 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 01-25-43 Dune Part Two Stars React to AMC Theaters' Viral Sandworm Popcorn Bucket 'That's Not Okay' (re
    GEueuzBWEAAO143 (resized).jpg
    GEueu0AWwAEnoGO (resized).jpg
    IMG_0013 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240101_194505_Gallery (resized).jpg
    IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    bar jdubbs 2 (resized).jpg
    bar jdubbs 1 (resized).jpg
    20230223_091543 (resized).jpg
    20230222_155014 (resized).jpg
    20230220_154212 (resized).jpg
    20230220_180046 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9560874E-49C3-4C46-AA38-3DCB82C78C01 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider njgsx96.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#138 9 years ago

I got myself an 8 oz. Great Northern from Amazon about a year ago and make popcorn 3-4 times a week. We do movie night outside with a projector and it is always requested. Unfortunately my pins are downstairs but I just make a quick batch and bring it with me! If you eat popcorn even occasionally, I recommend a machine, even if it is the smaller version.

1 month later
    #197 9 years ago

In regards to cleaning the kettle... holy crap that Heat & Kleen is amazing. Be warned it will overflow an 8 oz. kettle with 1.5-2 cups of water when boiling and it will also remove any lettering on the kettle, such as those warning like "this surface is hot", which I used to have in red. But after 5-10 minutes it will leave your kettle sparkling like the day you bought it. Rinse/wipe clean any residue and you have a brand new kettle again. It also has a side effect of cleaning everything else with the Kleen-infused steam generated. My glass sides are crystal again, the fold out tray is brand new and the floor which had a nice oil stain from where some comes out on the first pop which was then baked in from the heat lamp is sparkling again as well. Highly recommended!!

#205 9 years ago

I have the 8 0z Paducah from them which is very similar (looks exactly like it actually) and you can make as much as you want. I normally make 1/2 cup of kernels which is enough for me and my wife. I could always do another 1/2 cup but that is because I am obsessed with popcorn. I have been known to make 1/4 cup poppings as well. But you can make as much or as little as you want. Quickly wipe it clean when done and she is ready for the next popping.

1 month later
    #324 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rush1169:

Anyone want some coconut oil sticks for popcorn machines? I have a bunch to get rid of - will send a batch to UPS street addresses - PM me your addy.

Not sure who took Rush up on this offer but you should if you did not! Got my little care package today and was greeted with enough sticks to survive the zombie apocalypse! Thank you so much! Best website/forum with the best bunch of people ever!

One question, these are dated Sept 2015 which is perfect, however I have so many that I have a feeling I will not use them all in time. Even if I hosted Drive-in/Project-on-the-back-of-the-House Theatre 7 days a week in the summer instead of 1-2 times a week. Do they actually go bad or should I throw the ones I won't get to in the freezer?

1 week later
    #346 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rush1169:

Anyone want some coconut oil sticks for popcorn machines? I have a bunch to get rid of - will send a batch to UPS street addresses - PM me your addy.

I am curious. I have been using the sticks of oil you gave me and they really make for a great tasting popcorn, best I have made yet. We do taste-tests at work and everyone, no fail, picks the popcorn made with these sticks of oil. It even makes crappy popcorn kernels taste better! And you said you tried these and like them but they were not the best. So you feel there is better? Can you tell me what you find to be better? I might want to try them too!

And again, thank you!

#347 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballholder:

Ok, i have been stalking this thread for awhile, tried to scan it again today but am not seeing the info I need. I am about to pull the trigger on this guy:
    amazon.com link »
    I like the idea of coconut oil and flavacol but I also want a system that is simple so my teenagers can use it, are the prepackaged packets really that much easier? Also, I am not sure how much oil or flavoring to use for an 8oz popper if I go that route, will the manual walk me thru that?
    Thanks!
    Seth

I find the pre-packaged to be a little too salty. Measuring your own is not as quick, but just as easy and made to your liking. I have sticks of oil like butter that are marked at each tablespoon. I have a 1/2 c. measuring cup and a teaspoon. Pretty easy - 2 tablespoons of oil, 1/2 c. of kernels and 1/2 teaspoon of flavorcal, if I use any at all. Sometimes I just use salt after it is popped.

#362 9 years ago
    Quoted from kingfishtr:

Hey. What is the brand of the sticks that you have? Naks Pak? Most people usually prefer pure coconut oil over the sticks. The sticks are usually mostly coconut oil blended with a couple other oils to make sure they stay in the stick form, even when the temperature rises. We usually sell the sticks to customers that are making true caramel corn in a cooker mixer. They are just easier to use. I personally do not care for the coconut oil sticks. I find that they leave a ever so slight waxy taste on the finished product when used in a caramel corn recipe, instead of pure coconut oil. Glad you are digging them.

Lu Ann Coco-Pop Popcorn Seasoning Oil is what I have. It is a blend but I think it makes for a much tastier popcorn than just using straight coconut oil (tried a couple different brands from the local Shoprite. Not sure of the name, but they were just coconut oil.). No wax taste, maybe a very slight buttery taste.

What brand do you recommend? I love experimenting!

11 months later
    #884 8 years ago

I use my vacuum sealer to seal up my popcorn in 3 pound bags. I usually get the 12.5 pound bag...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YLGA0W

I will go through this in about 2-3 months. I am always on the look out for good popcorn, this is one of the better ones I have had.

#892 8 years ago

This is the oil I use. Comes out great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YLI9E2

I had used the LuAnn sticks of oil, which were pretty good (and a free gift from a member here!) but switched after I ran out.

I also got this stuff as someone mentioned kettle corn.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M8YEY6C

Not exactly kettle corn, but close and very tasty! My buddy got all of the other sugar flavors and they are actually pretty darned good!

#897 8 years ago
    Quoted from JimB:

Says it needs extra cleanup instead of wiping down. How hard and how do you clean up after?

It does leave a little sugar coating, similar to the salt coating after a regular batch, on th ekettle and walls of the machine. So contrary to their statement, it is as simple as wiping it down. If you do it while still warm, it is a quick clean up. What I do is I actually make a small batch of regular popcorn afterwards, which does a good job of soaking up the leftover sugar. It is such a small amount of sugar and is mostly unnoticed when eating that second batch. After that, I do a quick wipe with a warm cloth.

#900 8 years ago

For the coconut oil, I found that a standard ice cube is about 2 tablespoons. You can always fill one and then separate it out for later use or keep it in the fridge for easy use later.

I miss the sticks for the sole reason of being so easy to measure.

1 month later
    #915 8 years ago

I have been experimenting with the salts, picked up the pack of 3, premiere, better buttery, and the orange box. Just the orange box is great on its own. However, so far my favorite is to mix equal parts premiere and better buttery. So great!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider njgsx96.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one?tu=njgsx96 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.