(Topic ID: 74892)

Popcorn machine...... who has one

By JDubbbs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7965 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 01-25-43 Dune Part Two Stars React to AMC Theaters' Viral Sandworm Popcorn Bucket 'That's Not Okay' (re
    GEueuzBWEAAO143 (resized).jpg
    GEueu0AWwAEnoGO (resized).jpg
    IMG_0013 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240101_194505_Gallery (resized).jpg
    IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    bar jdubbs 2 (resized).jpg
    bar jdubbs 1 (resized).jpg
    20230223_091543 (resized).jpg
    20230222_155014 (resized).jpg
    20230220_154212 (resized).jpg
    20230220_180046 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9560874E-49C3-4C46-AA38-3DCB82C78C01 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lamprey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1131 6 years ago

I didn't see this posted here, so throwing it in if it helps anyone....

I eat far more popcorn than any human probably should. With the recent talk of ghee and toppings, I saw some questions about how to apply/spread it on your popcorn. The easiest is probably to just pump/squirt/dribble it on.

However, I've taken a slightly different tact to making popcorn; for reference, I tend to use extra popcorn. Meaning, if you used a 4oz pre-pacgacked portion I add an additional 1/3 cup of kernels. So, I'm lacking a bit of the fat that you would normally have. To help compensate for that I like to put on some clarified butter (ghee) to help with the buttery flavor. To apply it, I tried many ways, but found that a hand-pump sprayer works the best.

You might try just a plain old spray bottle and see if that works (i.e. cheap) or I recommend the Prepara Oil Sprayer. The reason I like is that the base/container is actual glass, not plastic. So, I can keep that refrigerated with the ghee in it and just pop it into the microwave to warm it up (make it liquid). Then I can "mist" the popcorn in my popcorn maker and toss it around and spray some more. That gives the popcorn a nice buttery note without it dripping in oil.

When I'm done, I just pump some hot water through the sprayer to clean out the ghee and let it dry.

Here is the oil sprayer I speak of:
    https://www.amazon.com/Prepara-Healthy-Trigger-Sprayer-Kitchen/dp/B01CCGRJVC

Cheers!

#1133 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

Gee man, the reviews are ripping on this badly. How long have you had yours?

Yeah, the bad reviews have bubbled to the top. But, I've had mine for about a year.

I've tried some of the "Misto" ones that you pump up, but wasn't very successful using them with ghee. Like I mentioned, you might be able to use a "regular" pump bottle. YMMV.

10 months later
    #1238 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

The bulb just burned out in my Great Northern. Does anyone know the correct type and wattage of bulb to replace it with?

Should be a 50 watt R20.

Depending on your usage, you may want to get a longer life bulb (10k-20k hours). I have my machine on almost 24/7, so I bought a pack of 20k hour ones and they are working great.

Here are some links:
    https://www.bulborama.com/45-50-WATT-R20-FLOOD-20K-TURBO-LIFE-LIGHT-BULB-20-000-HOURS-p9.html

I had purchased these in the past, but they are no longer available:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CRKY3Y/

I'd also suggest avoiding LED bulbs as they heat of the incandescent works to help keep your popcorn warm and crispy, even if you have a heated deck.

5 months later
    #1245 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I accidentally left my popcorn maker on for about two hours after I popped a batch the other night. Now there is a charred caked on residue covering the entire bottom of the pot. What is the best way to clean this?

There are cleaners specifically for popcorn kettles, but I have not used them myself. Not sure if they'd help in this case or not..?
    https://www.amazon.com/GOLD-MEDAL-PRODUCTS-2095MC-Kleen/dp/B001EEU6RS

2 months later
    #1316 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

Now I need recommendation on oil. Can’t use coconut and no dairy or gluten. But still have a buttery flavor if possible, like what they have at the movies.

Sorry I'm not that in tune with all those restrictions. But, can you use soybean oil?

If so, you might try something like Snappy Buttery Burst?
    https://www.amazon.com/Snappy-Popcorn-Butter-Burst-gallon/dp/B00AXK9ROC

1 week later
    #1379 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fizz:

Where are people using these machines in the house? I know there can be a lot of steam, smoke, oil etc from these machines, is this ever an issue? I assume not everyone is putting these under a vent hood or anything like that.
    This is one of the concerns which have been holding me back from buying one.

Due to my limited space in my current home, I have my popcorn maker right in my arcade room. I make a couple batches of popcorn a week and the oil does get on everything. I try to put a fan near the machine to help try and blow the fumes out of the room. But, that only does so much. It's not a huge issue, I just wipe down my arcade machines and pinball machines every month or so.

If you are in a position to have a nice vent, then that'd be ideal. But, not necessary per se.

1 week later
    #1406 5 years ago

I do something similar, I scoop out of the big tub of oil and put it in a squeeze bottle. If it has solidified, I just microwave it for a bit and squirt it into table spoon to measure out what I want. easy peasy.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/3163/squeeze-bottles.html

1 month later
    #1459 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Joining the popcorn party myself. After reading this thread we were inspired to have a different popcorn experience for friends and the kids visiting so we had this Popperette top to bottom restored. Turned out great and look forward to many bags of enjoyment.

Freeking Awesome!

Do you happen to have a before picture for comparison?

11 months later
    #1512 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Thanks man! Granddaughter has been bugging me to get the Popperette going and hated to clog it up with standard oil. Ordering now. Does this coconut oil stay fairly liquid do you know? Some I’ve used in the past turn solid under a certain temp. Thanks again.[quoted image]

That Popperette is so bad ass!

I agree with the others that the real-deal oil is coconut and it does get solid at room temp. You might be able to use a light bulb as you suggested. Another option is the Snappy Butter Burst that doesn't need heat to stay liquid. You might want to try it as some butter flavored oils don't taste good or can reek havoc on your insides.

https://www.amazon.com/Snappy-Popcorn-Butter-Burst-gallon/dp/B00AXK9ROC

2 years later
    #1610 1 year ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

When do you add the flavacol? And when should you turn on the kettle stirrer?

Dump it all together it doesn’t matter. I’ve tested several options and no difference.

My stirrer is connected to the heater so it comes on with the heater, so just when you turn the heat on or before you add everything. But do get the kettle hot before you add everything.

#1611 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

I add the Flavicol to the corn before I dump it into the kettle.
    I add the oil to the kettle and turn it on.
    When the oil smokes a bit then I add the corn/flavicol mix, then I turn on the stirrer.
    I dump the kettle well before I hear the last few kernels pop.
    WELL before.... I usually have 20 of 30 un-popped kernels.
    I dont like the taste of scorched corn.
    I add them to the next batch when I clean up or emplty the machine.
    They actually pop just fine the second time thru.
    Right now Im using 1/3 less oil than the recipe (1/4 cup or a 2oz ice cream scoop for my 8oz kettle) and about 1 1/8 teaspoons of flavicol (or about half the recommended).
    Less oils pops bigger, flavicol is a matter of taste.
    Tons of oil pops smaller corn.
    You will see this with a bit of experimentation.
    I measured out a Great Northern 8oz pre-pak.
    1 cup corn
    2oz of coconut oil
    1tsp flavicol.
    It comes out just about right.

How did you measure the oil? I’m pretty sure the 6oz has 3 tablespoons of oil. Can’t imagine the 8oz has less.

#1616 1 year ago

Its about 1oz per half a cup of corn.
    So 1.5 oz per 6oz?
    2 tbsp per oz
    So 3 tbsp seems right.
    Or get a 1.5oz scooper from restaurant supply

Cool. That makes sense.

I started doing 3 tablespoons of the orange coconut oil and 1-2 T of clarified butter per 1C of corn. Gives it a bit more buttery flavor..

#1630 1 year ago

Use 4 tbsp of oil.
    And maybe 1 1/4 tsp of flavicol

I second this. It’s possible that your corn is old/bad, but probably not enough oil.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lamprey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one?tu=lamprey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.