(Topic ID: 74892)

Popcorn machine...... who has one

By JDubbbs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7965 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 01-25-43 Dune Part Two Stars React to AMC Theaters' Viral Sandworm Popcorn Bucket 'That's Not Okay' (re
    GEueuzBWEAAO143 (resized).jpg
    GEueu0AWwAEnoGO (resized).jpg
    IMG_0013 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240101_194505_Gallery (resized).jpg
    IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    bar jdubbs 2 (resized).jpg
    bar jdubbs 1 (resized).jpg
    20230223_091543 (resized).jpg
    20230222_155014 (resized).jpg
    20230220_154212 (resized).jpg
    20230220_180046 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9560874E-49C3-4C46-AA38-3DCB82C78C01 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kingbw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1058 6 years ago
    Quoted from Olddragon:

I haven't been keeping up with this thread in awhile, but to those wondering if Gold Medal is a quality popper: YES!
    Gold Medal makes commercial-grade equipment. I have had my 8 oz. popper for 5 years and it still looks brand new. I definitely paid more for it than most of the ones you can buy on Amazon but the build quality is second-to-none. The interior is all stainless. No rust!
    I pop around 100 batches a year and the batches are very consistent. I use bulk popcorn, coconut oil, and a couple versions of Flavacol.

Is the inside top stainless? I heard it is not and eventually rusts out, then it is toast. I just want to know what brand to watch for and which ones to avoid. Someone earlier said to avoid the ones sold at Sams Club. Gold Metal is sold at Sams Club. ???

#1069 6 years ago

Trying to keep track ...

Great Northern = avoid, steel roof that rusts
    Gold Medal = ok, stainless steel roof
    Paragon = ok, stainless steel roof
    Paramount = avoid, steel roof that rusts

Is this correct?

#1072 6 years ago
    Quoted from kingfishtr:

As an employee of Gold Medal, I cringe when someone types Golden Metal...lol. I work in the international department so I hear and see spelling mistakes quite often with our name.

Corrected.

#1076 6 years ago
    Quoted from kingfishtr:

Speaking about Gold Medal. The blue dome popper that we sell in the stores at Sam's is a great little popper. Same components that are used on our large poppers. You can order just about everything in our catalog from Sam's website for a great price. FYI

So is 4 oz model 2404SC all stainless including the roof and other interior metal components? It only mentions that the kettle is stainless. I notice that it is made in China.

By the blue top, do you mean the 6 oz model 2085CLC for a few hundred more (including cart)? Same question - stainless roof interior and metal components? I notice that this one says made in the USA

I'm just trying to figure this all out.

#1078 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Mine (Blue version) was purchased almost twelve years ago from Sam's. It was made in the USA. Stainless steel, aluminum and glass in the food compartment.
    Look at the pick I posted in this thread as well as another photo of Blue ones posted by someone else.

Thanks for the reply. I understand the "you get what you pay for" and that's the entire reason why I keep asking questions. If I read between the lines correctly, it sounds like the blue version is a "good" and the smaller red "funpop" version is an "avoid" ... correct ??? Or is the red funpop version all stainless and aluminum too?

Also, looking at the pricing on Sam's club ... the blue with cart separate is $785. Together as a package it is $808. Anyone know why? Usually the grouped package is cheaper. Just trying to understand. I might buy a popper for my wife for her birthday next month and I'm trying to do my due diligence research. She loves popcorn and once said she would like one of these.

#1081 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Since you're close to the Detroit area, go to Detroit Popcorn Company (in Redford on Telegraph Road- even open for awhile on Saturdays) and buy a Gold Medal popper from them. Trust me. Plus all kinds of popping supplies. They will cut you a good package deal.

Quoted from vid1900:

Going to a real popcorn vendor like MrBally says, will save you $$$$$$
    Don't buy those little packet kits of popcorn.
    Get a gallon of Red Coconut Oil.
    Get 50# bag of giant popping corn
    Get a carton of Flavorcol.
    Get a gallon of Supur-Kist II butter topping

Okay, I'll look into that. Thanks for the advice and recommendations!

1 month later
    #1106 6 years ago

I might be buying a popper tonight for my wife for her birthday. Would a 4 oz popper pop enough popcorn to fill one of the large buckets of popcorn that you see at theaters in the USA? Or would that be more of the 6oz popper size? Just trying to get a grasp on 4 oz vs 6 oz?

#1108 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You can always pop a smaller batch in a larger popper.
    If you guys both love popcorn, you probably want an 8oz. That will fill a large bucket exactly.

Thanks! 4 oz is out then. I'll look at the 8 oz and 6 oz, but shoot for the 8 oz if it is reasonable.

#1112 6 years ago

Thanks for the tips ... I'll see what Detroit Popcorn Company deals are in a couple of hours.

#1113 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Since you're close to the Detroit area, go to Detroit Popcorn Company (in Redford on Telegraph Road- even open for awhile on Saturdays) and buy a Gold Medal popper from them. Trust me. Plus all kinds of popping supplies. They will cut you a good package deal.

Things must have changed. No package deals to offer me. They wouldn't even match the sale prices on their website - well they did on the cart though after I was about to leave. I thought a package deal in the store would be cheaper. I bought it anyway because my wife's birthday is Friday and IOU's don't go over too well (from past experience). She should be surprised.

The online sale prices are cheaper here. The regular online price is cheaper too, so they told me. Shipping likely makes it more expensive though.

#1115 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Tell her you also owe her a Pinball Machine...lol

I got her an IM last year for her birthday (a week ahead) - made a trip of it going down to NC to get it. She DOES want an AS and/or DI ... sounds like a win-win to offer that IOU too. One of those might turn into a Christmas present. A TH was her Christmas present last year. After I told her how much it was, that was my Christmas present too ... I was cool with that! Sounds like a tradition I want to continue.

#1137 6 years ago

Not as happy as when I got her a pinball machine, but she was still real happy with it. Her favorite snack.

Thanks to all that helped me with this purchase. Much appreciated!

20170623_220223 (resized).jpg20170623_220223 (resized).jpg

#1139 6 years ago

vid1900 - What do you recommend for spreading the Ghee onto the popcorn for single batches. My wife wants some sort of a pump or spray, but the recommendation a few posts up for the mist sprayer she does not like (because of all the repetitive cleaning and that the manufacturer does not recommend using it that way). We need something easy to clean or just be able to store until the next use.

1 month later
    #1152 6 years ago
    Quoted from smacks:

Isn't that what dogs are for

My dog loves the popcorn machine and hangs out there when it is popping just for that reason.

#1166 6 years ago
    Quoted from PAPinballer:

I'm currently renovating my game room and looking to get a Great American 8 oz popcorn machine for my wife but have some questions and hoping that someone can help me.
    Will an 8 oz machine be too much for a family of 5, of which only 2-3 love eating popcorn? I'll eat them if they're flavored like cheese or even better...covered with chocolate But it's mainly my wife and maybe 1 of my daughters currently living with us that eat popcorn. My oldest daughter recently moved to Chicago to start a new job but expects to be back visiting and she loves popcorn like my wife.
    Is it possible to pop any amount like 2 oz instead of 4 or 8 oz in an 8 oz machine? I know that Great American says that you can pop 4 oz in the 8 oz machine but there's no mention of going even smaller. I'm concerned that 4 oz might be too much so I'd like the flexibility in popping smaller amounts.
    How long can popcorn be stored in the machine before it gets too stale to eat?
    Thanks much for your help!!

I was going to buy a 6 or 8 oz popper, but landed up with a 4 oz. Glad I did and saved "some" money to be applied to other things. There are 3 of us and with 4 oz of popped corn, we each get 2 snack size bowls and is plenty for us. If we have a party, we will just start a second batch right away. We were told buy a local "Detroit Popcorn Company" that we could still pop an 6 oz batch in the 4 oz machine if we wanted to with no problem, but advised against trying a 8 oz batch.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kingbw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one?tu=kingbw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.