(Topic ID: 74892)

Popcorn machine...... who has one

By JDubbbs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7965 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 01-25-43 Dune Part Two Stars React to AMC Theaters' Viral Sandworm Popcorn Bucket 'That's Not Okay' (re
    GEueuzBWEAAO143 (resized).jpg
    GEueu0AWwAEnoGO (resized).jpg
    IMG_0013 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240101_194505_Gallery (resized).jpg
    IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    bar jdubbs 2 (resized).jpg
    bar jdubbs 1 (resized).jpg
    20230223_091543 (resized).jpg
    20230222_155014 (resized).jpg
    20230220_154212 (resized).jpg
    20230220_180046 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9560874E-49C3-4C46-AA38-3DCB82C78C01 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gweempose.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You want real Coconut Oil - it's high temp, healthy stuff.

Have experts reversed their thinking on coconut oil? I remember when the Center for Science in the Public Interest lobbied hard to have coconut oil banned from movie theaters. This was a while ago, though, so things could have changed. I definitely agree that coconut oil makes the best popcorn, hands down.

1 year later
    #246 9 years ago

My daughter is having a movie themed birthday party, and my wife brought up the idea of renting a popcorn machine. I've always wanted one, and it seems like if we are going to spend the money to rent one, it makes more sense just to purchase one. I've read through this entire thread, and it appears that the Great Northern machines are very popular. They certainly are reasonably priced. I like the look of the Paragon machines more, but they are kind of pricey. I've narrowed it down to one of these two machines:

Great Northern Roosevelt (8-ounce):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QWE6S4/ref=psdc_1090764_t1_B002NLKYPA

Paragon Theater Pop (6-ounce):

http://www.amazon.com/Paragon-TP-6-Theater-6-Ounce-Popcorn/dp/B000212NU2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Why are the Paragon machines so much more money? Are they better quality, or simply overpriced?

#248 9 years ago

I'm confused. The prices for both machines are quite a bit higher at the links you provided. What's wrong with Amazon?

#250 9 years ago

After thinking it over, I've decided to go with this Great Northern model ...

http://greatnorthernpopcorn.com/p-71-great-northern-popcorn-blue-foundation-popcorn-popper-machine-cart-8-ounce.aspx

I just can't justify spending all that money on the Paragon machine when I can buy this one with a cart for half the price. I realize it isn't made as well, but I'm sure it will still make some tasty corn. For this particular machine, the price was actually a bit cheaper when ordering it directly from Great Northern as opposed to Amazon. I chose the blue color because it's a little different. Everyone has a red one.

Great Northern popcorn machine.jpgGreat Northern popcorn machine.jpg
    #252 9 years ago

Now I need to order some supplies. I think I'd rather go with the pre-measured packs than messing around with the corn, oil, Flavocol, etc ... Is there any particular brand that you guys recommend?

#255 9 years ago

Well, I changed my mind yet again and went with a red model after all. I just placed the order. It will be here on Friday ...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WETCO4/ref=od_aui_detailpages00

Princeton Popper.jpgPrinceton Popper.jpg
    #259 9 years ago
    Quoted from Tkaye:

I noticed the link you posted it appears there's 3 compartments. The 4 oz ones have only 2.

No, the 4 oz ones have three compartments also. They are exactly the same as the 8 oz packs, just with half the ingredients ...

4oz pack.jpg4oz pack.jpg
    #263 9 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Back when I got my machine I read a bunch of stuff over at the AVN forums about popcorn. I coudn't find a solid opinion as to which was best between the 'big three': Greater Northern, Gold Medal Megapop, and Country Harvest. Each has people saying it's the best thing EVAR -- so I've been trying them each a case at a time. They're all just fine and don't really seem different to me.

I read some of those threads over at AVS Forum as well. Last night, I ordered a case of Gold Medal and a case of Great Northern. The Gold Medal was actually a much better value at only $27.50 for a 24 pack (8 oz. size). The Great Northern was the same price for a 24 pack of the 6 oz. size.

#270 9 years ago
    Quoted from kingfishtr:

Those Great Northern machines are all Chinese made.

Quoted from kingfishtr:

Only USA made poppers are Gold Medal, Paragon and Cretors.

As I stated above, I'm not fooling myself into the thinking that the Great Northern poppers are built nearly as well as their more expensive counterparts. For me, it was a trade off I was willing to make in order to get a machine with the look and features I wanted at a price point I could live with. If the Great Northern machines didn't get such good reviews, I wouldn't have bought one. Most people seem to really like them, so I'm assuming it will be good enough for my family's casual use.

#274 9 years ago
    Quoted from kingfishtr:

If you have any other popcorn questions, shoot em at me. I have been in the concession business for about 6 years.

What kind and size of bags would you recommend for home use, and where is a good place to buy them?

#280 9 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

The pre packaged one tastes better, not sure what ingredient is different. I'm using the original Flavacol and pure coconut oil. The pre packaged batches come out a little yellow and more flavorful. I wonder if it's more oil?

I'm pretty sure it's because the oil in the pre-measured packs is butter flavored.

#284 9 years ago

I set my machine up last night, and the popcorn packs just arrived today. I'm ready to start popping some corn, but the oil is still rock solid from sitting outside in the cold. Can I put a rock solid chunk of oil in the machine, or do I need warm it up a bit first? Also, can I just dump everything in at once, or should you heat up the oil first before adding the corn?

#286 9 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

You can throw the solid oil and and let the kettle melt it - then when it's fully liquid (don't wait any longer than you have to) dump in the salt & kernels together.

Cool. Should I let the empty kettle heat up first before even putting the oil in? When should I turn on the mixer? You can tell I'm new at this.

#289 9 years ago

It just dawned on me to read the directions on the back of the packs. I have both Great Northern and Gold Medal packs. Interestingly, they have very different directions. They both say you should pre-heat the kettle, but Great Northern recommends 5-7 minutes, whereas Gold Medal recommends 3-4 minutes. Gold Medal then advocates melting the oil before adding the other ingredients. Then, they want you to only put in three kernels, and wait until they pop before adding the rest. Great Northern says to just dump everything in at the same time. It probably doesn't make much of a difference.

#290 9 years ago

Okay, I just made my first batch. I used the Gold Medal pack and followed the exact instructions on the back. The good news is that the popcorn is excellent ... nice and crispy with just the right amount of seasoning. The bad news is that there were a ton of unpopped kernels. I feel like I didn't quite squeeze all the oil out of the bag, so this could be partially to blame.

#301 9 years ago

I popped some more corn today. This time it was the Great Northern corn. I thought it tasted great, but I think I slightly prefer the Gold Medal corn. It seemed to taste closer to what I am used to eating at the theater. The Great Northern pack did have less old maids.

#308 9 years ago

I'm really loving my popper. One thing that is kind of annoying is the small gap above the doors. It allows a few kernels to fly out during popping. This is obviously not safe, and I have to make sure my kids aren't standing too close. Is this gap supposed to be there, or are my doors mounted a little low?

#314 9 years ago
    Quoted from kingfishtr:

Doors are usually supposed to be open when you make popcorn, or mostly open. Kernels should not be flying out of the kettle. The lids should be keeping that under control.

I'm pretty sure if I were to leave the doors open during popping, there would be popcorn all over the floor. Most of the popcorn spills out from beneath the hinged lids, but there is definitely some that goes flying out of the kettle during the process.

#322 9 years ago

I'm at the car dealer waiting for an oil change on my Jeep. They have a really nice Gold Medal 16 oz machine ...

Gold Medal 16 oz popper.jpgGold Medal 16 oz popper.jpg

#330 9 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

No way I'd go back to buying bulk separates unless I was popping it at some crazy rapid pace. The pre-portioned packs are just TOO nice.

This sums up my thoughts as well. While I know there is a savings going bulk, I will only be making popcorn 2-3 times a week max. The convenience of the pre-measured packs outweighs the savings.

#338 9 years ago
    Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

Ok. Don't think it was mentioned but when do you stop stirring and turn the pot heat off? When you don't hear a pop for ??? Seconds.

I turn off the heat when it becomes a few seconds between pops. The oil is so hot that it will continue to pop even with the heat off. I turn off the mixer right before I dump it. I then turn the mixer back on again for a bit, and then turn it off before dumping it one last time.

#342 9 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

I put a couple of unpopped kernels in with the oil and turn on the heat. When they pop, I know it's time to add the rest! Easy, unscientific way to do it.

That's exactly the way Gold Medal recommends doing it on the back of the package. I usually just put the oil in, wait for it to completely melt, and then dump the corn and seasoning in. I've done it both ways, and to be honest, I didn't notice a difference in the end result.

1 week later
    #370 9 years ago
    Quoted from xsonics2k2:

This damn Pinside popcorn machine thread led me to buy a Great American popcorn machine ...

I assume you mean Great Northern?

#376 9 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

I've gotten everything from Amazon due to convenience myself.

Ditto. It's fast, and the prices are good (especially if you are a Prime member).

#381 9 years ago

My daughter had a birthday party the other night with eleven girls over. I popped four batches of corn, and the machine worked like a champ.

#385 9 years ago
    Quoted from saford:

You know what...I had no interest at all in a popcorn machine. THEN I started reading this thread and 2 hours later an order from Great Northern for the machine and an order from Amazon for supplies. I hate you guys! LOL! Have a great weekend all!

Man, you are going to love it! I've been using mine way more than I thought I would. It just tastes so damn good. Too bad I'm probably going to give myself a coronary.

#387 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballnut3:

All this is much cheaper on Sams club.com

The prices are very good on samsclub.com, but they are not necessarily the best once you add tax + shipping. For example, I paid $27.50 shipped for a case of 24 Gold Medal 8 oz packets on Amazon. The same case at Sam's Club is only $20.98, but once you add shipping and tax, it's $29.83.

1 week later
    #396 9 years ago
    Quoted from JimB:

Anyone have any tips for preserving the leftovers. Ziploc bags don't cut it.

My brother used to be the assistant manager at a large movie theater, and they would always save their leftover popcorn at the end of the day. I'm not sure if every chain does this, but if you order popcorn at the first showing, there is a good chance you are eating stuff that was popped the day before.

With my Great Northern machine, I have found that if I turn on the deck heater and let the popcorn warm up for an hour or so, it's not bad the next day. Beyond that, I pop a fresh batch.

Quoted from vid1900:

Just give it to the dog.

I would recommend against this if the popcorn has salt/Flavacol on it. A lot of salt is not good for dogs.

#400 9 years ago
    Quoted from FishPharm:

So which machine or company is the better one? I see people talking about Gold Medal and Great Northern....

In general, you get what you pay for. Based on my research, I would say Gold Medal and Cretors are the cream of the crop. They are expensive, but these are the machines that most theaters and large venues use. Paragon makes high quality machines as well, but they are a notch below the other two. Last, you have companies like Great Northern. These are much less expensive machines. In general, they are made in China and aren't built nearly as well as the American made machines. That being said, they are a good alternative for someone who doesn't want to spend a ton of money. They still make some tasty popcorn, and they should hold up just fine in a home environment. I have a Great Northern popper, and I absolutely love it.

#406 9 years ago
    Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

So now I have a popcorn, hot butter dispenser, and snocone machine. Looking to add a Slushie machine and maybe a hot dog or pizza machine.

How about a cotton candy machine?

1 week later
    #429 9 years ago
    Quoted from paratrooper:

Do you pour the oil in 1st and let is warm, then test it with a few corn seeds? then thrown in the rest of the corn in if it pops?
    OR
    Do you throw it all in at once?

I've done it using both methods, and the popcorn seems to come out fine either way. FWIW, the instructions on the back of the Gold Medal packs advise you to pre-heat the oil, and then add the rest of the corn and seasoning after the test kernels pop.

Quoted from paratrooper:

Also, since the packs come with the Flavacol Seasoning Salt... Who has found that adding more is too much, or does it taste better?

That's a personal thing. I find the pre-measured packs to have the perfect amount of seasoning, but it may be too much for some, and not enough for others. It's easy to add a little more Flavocol or salt if desired.

Quoted from paratrooper:

So I will be setting my machine on top of my beer fridge. The back side of the popcorn machine will be against a wall. SO! Since my wife is OCD, I would assume that people in my situation simply rotate their machine while cooking, cleaning etc... then turn it back to "normal" sticker facing out position when they are done?

I assume that most people just keep the sticker facing the wall all the time. It seems like it would be kind of a pain to rotate the machine every time you want to use it. That's one of the negatives of the "commercial" poppers. They are designed so that the artwork is normally facing the customer. In a home environment, you want exactly the opposite.

#432 9 years ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

Made my 1st batch of popcorn. I bought the Great American pre-made pack that has the popcorn, oil and butter salt. Is there another option on the butter salt? Maybe more like the movie theater? I am not not quite sold on the butter salt flavor. Maybe I will grow into it as I bought a 40 qty pack popcorn pack from costco.

I've found that the Gold Medal packs taste more like movie theater popcorn than the Great Northern packs. If you are just looking for the salt, this is the exact stuff most theaters use ...

http://www.gmpopcorn.com/products/product-description.cfm?pid=1861

Flavacol.jpgFlavacol.jpg
    3 weeks later
    #436 8 years ago
    Quoted from paratrooper:

So just a quick update on my new addiction !
    My Gold Medal 4oz. Fun Popper is working very good and I am so happy with my purchase.

Congrats on the new machine! This may be a stupid question, but how do you operate the machine with the door facing the wall?

#440 8 years ago
    Quoted from Warbleboopie:

So my popcorn machine spits out the kernels when I toss everything in and start the stirrer. Am I doing it wrong? Do I like wait for the shit to get hot first? It seriously spits out a ton of kernels when it starts popping, or is that normal?

It's normal for some kernels to fly out. Not much you can do about that. I've found that I have to monitor the lid during popping to make sure one of the sides doesn't get stuck in the up position. If this happens, I carefully knock it back down.

#442 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I 3D printed a little doohickey that sits on top of the little aluminum collar on the stirrer rod on top of the kettle and turns around while it turns. It has just enough of an arm to push the lids back down if they get stuck up.
    I'll post some pics this weekend. I'd be willing to print them for the people with great northern machines, it clips right on.

That's awesome! I've been trying to think of a solution, but yours is better than anything I came up with.

#446 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

2) Is 40 watts the only significant difference between these two models?

http://tinyurl.com/nd5tv72
    http://tinyurl.com/oymuxkd

The Princeton model is also quite a bit larger. That's one of the main reasons I chose it over some of the other Great Northern poppers.

Princeton - 44.4 x 52.1 x 65.4 cm

vs.

Foundation - 43.2 x 35.6 x 52.7 cm

#447 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

Sorry, I must be blind. I don't see where it says this model has a heated warming deck.

Lincoln popper.PNGLincoln popper.PNG
    #451 8 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Princeton does have this feature. Based on my research, the "warming deck" is really a marketing term for the for the heat lamp (bulb) that keeps the popcorn warm.
    Princeton has the same style bulb in it that you find in the black version.
    I have a Princeton and the heat lamp does a fine job of keeping the popcorn warm.

This is one of those rare occasions where Marcus is wrong.

The Princeton and the Lincoln both have actual heated decks. In addition to the bulb, there is a heating element under the stainless steel deck that helps to keep the popcorn warm. This is indeed a very desirable feature. I wouldn't buy a popper without it.

Here's what the normally hidden heating element looks like ...

Heating element.jpgHeating element.jpg

#454 8 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Haha! Pwnwd!!
    Oh wait. That's me!
    Mea Culpa. Still, my heating bulb does a fine job of keeping my popcorn warm. Granted, the popcorn rarely sits for more than 20 minutes or so.
    I knew I should have gone with the Lincoln!
    Anyone want to buy a slightly used Princeton?

The Princeton does have a heated deck. I'm not sure why this isn't mentioned as a feature on Amazon.

#458 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

Thanks guys. I spoke with my wife this evening. I didn't give away the gift idea, but I have decided to go with the Princeton.

Great choice! You guys are going to love it. The gold trim and etched glass really gives it an elegant look.

#461 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinballholder:

I have a Lincoln Popper, and we have been enjoying the Mega Pop packets from Gold Medal (bought off Amazon).

These are my favorite, followed by The Great Northern ones.

#481 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

If a couple of people have the problem with the flaps staying up like I did, let me know. I'd like to get 2-3 people to test it and give me feedback before I open it up to sending one to everyone.

I've been having this issue, and I'd love to test it for you.

#485 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

PM me your addresses and I'll drop some in the mail.

PM sent.

#487 8 years ago

My original thought was to place a small neodymium magnet on each cover. I figured this would make them heavy enough so that they wouldn't be flung completely open during popping. Unfortunately, this idea went out the window as soon as I remembered that magnets don't stick to stainless steel.

2 weeks later
    #503 8 years ago
    Quoted from Adydar:

If anyone is looking for a machine, saw the Great Northern 8 oz machine on sale for $184.88 - http://greatnorthernpopcorn.com/p-70-great-northern-popcorn-red-foundation-popcorn-popper-machine-cart-8-ounce.aspx
    Same one on Amazon shows for $265.

Quoted from Xerico:

Excellent deal for someone!

Agreed. That's the cheapest I've seen one with a cart by far. They must be closing out that model.

1 week later
    #525 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

There was definitely heat rising from the oil when I opened the lid to check. I have a laser thermometer so I'll try this next time. The one kernel pop instantly suggestion is also great.

Just throw in one or two kernels at the same time you pour in the oil. As soon as they pop, you know the oil is ready to add the rest of the corn.

1 week later
    #556 8 years ago

I use my thumb and forefinger to squeeze out the solidified oil. If there is any left, I will roll up the bag like a tube of toothpaste to squeeze out the last bit. To make it easier to handle, I usually pour the popcorn and flavacol in a separate cup first. I then cut off just the oil part of the packet. It's easier than dealing with the whole bag in such a confined space.

#561 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I emailed Great Northern to suggest that they perforate the packaging between the oil pack and the salt/corn side.

Yep, that would be ideal. It seems like such an obvious thing for them to do. I'm surprised none of the brands have thought of it.

#563 8 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

You can't even easily cut them apart due to the oil portion being formed around the salt.

Yep. That's precisely why I pour out the corn and salt before cutting off the oil part. It's a bit easier with the Gold Medal packs, since the it's just a straight line between the oil and the corn/salt.

1 week later
    #595 8 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

i asked them the same question, and now i cant find the email, but basically they said the number of doors, some have 1, others 2. and the general styling.

Yep. They are all very similar. I went with the Princeton because I liked the red with the gold trim. It is also slightly larger than some of the other models.

2 weeks later
    #604 8 years ago
    Quoted from jardine:

A mate just brought back some Flavacol powder for me. I don't have a popcorn machine only one of those air popcorn machines (the little ones). How is best way to use this, and how much do I use as well?

As MrBally already mentioned, it's supposed to be mixed in with the oil. Have you ever tried popping your corn in a pot with coconut oil instead of using the air popper? It's obviously a lot higher in calories, but it tastes 1,000 times better. It doesn't come out quite as good as it does from a quality machine, but you can still pop some delicious corn in an ordinary pot. Just add the oil and then mix in the Flavacol after it has melted. Chuck in a couple kernels. When they pop, the oil is ready to add the rest of the corn. Once it starts popping, make sure to shake the pot back and forth on the burner/heating element so the unpopped kernels work their way to the bottom. You'll obviously have to use a lid, but you should keep it slightly askew so that the steam can escape. As far as the Flavacol goes, you'll have to experiment to see how much you like.

#619 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Im starting to rethink the 8oz version a bit too....
    Overkill for MOSTLY family use and occasional party use?

I think 8oz hits the sweet spot for home use. You can always pop 4oz or 6oz portions in it, but it's nice to be able to churn out larger batches when you want to.

#628 8 years ago

Congrats! That's a beautiful machine, and a real workhorse. They have the exact same one at a hardware store by me. They've been churning out popcorn with it every day for YEARS. Those commercial Gold Medal poppers are built like tanks.

#632 8 years ago
    Quoted from kingfishtr:

GM Greensboro will have 12oz Mega Pop kits. It will make the best popcorn possible.

+1 on the GM Mega Pop kits.

#643 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

Mine is less than 2 months old and I'm seeing rust where you mention. I'll probably just swap them out with some screws from the hardware store.

If you do swap out the screws, please let us know what size they are.

What's interesting is that if you look at the thousand plus reviews on Amazon, rust is only mentioned a handful of times. Either people posted the reviews before the rust occurred, it only happens on some machines, or a majority of the people simply don't notice it. Regardless, it's still very concerning. I guess there is a reason why the Great Northern machines are so much less expensive than brands like Paragon, Gold Medal and Cretors.

#658 8 years ago

So here's the real question. Is this problem just cosmetic, or is it truly something to be concerned about. It's not as if the popcorn ever touches the ceiling of the popper.

#688 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

I bought the pre-pack stuff from Great Northern. There is WAY too much salt mixed in with the popcorn seeds.

I thought the Great Northern packs have the salt/Flavacol in a separate pouch?

Great_Northern_popcorn.jpgGreat_Northern_popcorn.jpg

#690 8 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

The smaller packs (4oz) are where the salt is mixed in, I believe.

Ah, that makes sense. I have 6oz Great Northern packs at my house, and they definitely have a separate pouch for the salt. My 8oz Gold Medal packs, on the other hand, have it mixed in with the corn.

#692 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

I have a hard enough time squeezing the oil out as it is- 3 seperate pouches just sounds like more of an opportunity for me to make a mess

You should use my technique. Cut open the corn and salt and pour it all into a cup. Then, completely remove that section of the pack. It makes it much easier to deal with the oil. You can even roll it up like a tube of toothpaste to get out every last drop. When the oil is ready, pour the corn and salt from the cup into the kettle. Easy peasy.

#701 8 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

"Medical Reasons" to avoid salt are mostly myth based on junk science from decades ago anyway.

I'm pretty sure most doctors still advocate a low sodium diet if you have hypertension.

#703 8 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Sure, because they've done so for YEARS now, but the whole idea that it even matters was started by one guy who did a faulty inconclusive study (according to several articles I've seen in recent years). There's no solid proof it makes any difference.

I'm honestly not up to speed on the research. I haven't read anything about a shift in thinking when it comes to sodium and high blood pressure, but I certainly don't doubt what you are saying. I generally subscribe to the theory that everything is fine in moderation.

#709 8 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

and film, if anyone still uses film cameras...

What's this "film" you speak of?

2 weeks later
    #728 8 years ago

If you want to heat the oil up first, the best way to determine when it is time to add the corn is to throw in a couple test kernels with the oil. When they pop, dump in the rest.

2 months later
    #750 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

Man, the rust has started to take over on my < 6 month old machine. Even though I meticulously wipe off the excess moisture after every pop session. I'm contacting the company about it. A $300 popcorn machine shouldn't rust. This is bullshit.

I guess the bottom line is that you get what you pay for. I agree that $300 is a lot of money, but the fact of the matter is that the Great Northern machines are relatively inexpensive compared to some of the other brands. They may market their products as "commercial quality", but the reality is that they aren't built nearly as well as machines from companies like Gold Medal, Cretors or Paragon.

#768 8 years ago

I just checked out my Great Northern machine, and it has indeed started exhibiting the same rust issue. It's only in its early stages, but it's still very disappointing. I really wanted to buy a nicer machine, but it was beyond my budget. I guess I should have sold my collector quality Congo, downgraded to a player's Congo, and bought the Gold Medal popper instead ....

#772 8 years ago

I'm thinking that, although it looks ugly, it not necessarily harmful. It's not as if the popped corn ever touches the rust.

#777 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

Harmfulness aside, this is only after 5 months so that's approximately 20 uses for me (once every Friday). I didn't expect a commercial grade popcorn machine when I bought it, but when it said "Home Use" I did expect it to last at least a year. I don't think that is unreasonable.

It's not unreasonable at all. There is simply no excuse for the thing to be rusting like that. It's not as if the manufacturer doesn't know that the inside of the machine is a high humidity environment.

#789 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

OMG- this stuff is MAGIC!
    My kettle looked like a disaster..., heating element running for 6 hours with no oil in it- turning the whole inside to a burned varnish of old oil, salt and corn.
    Followed the instructions... Let it sit an extra few hours, and now looks like new! Amazing!

Glad to hear your recent snafu didn't cause any permanent damage. Is that a Gold Medal product?

2 weeks later
    #803 8 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

For those that use the pre-packaged corn/flavor/oil packages, which ones does everyone like the best.

I've only used the Great Northern and Gold Medal ones. They are both good products, but I prefer the Gold Medal (Mega Pop) ...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D20WAW

#807 8 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I recently bought a box of the Mega Pop, and I'm finding the packaging a bit more work to deal with than the cheapy brand I bought before. The dividing seal between the two pouches is small enough that I can't really separate them without cutting into one of the pouches. Any tips?

I usually pour the popcorn and flavacol in a separate cup first. It's then easy to cut off the oil part of the packet.

1 month later
    #835 8 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Have you tried Franklin's? I'll trade you a bag of Franklin's for a bag of Mega Pop? This offer applies to anyone else that would like to trade for something other than Great Northern and Franklin's. I have an 8oz popper.
    It just sucks having to buy a whole damn case just to find out you like the last stuff better.

I'll tell you what. Shoot me your address, and I'll send you a bag of Mega Pop for free.

#848 8 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

+1. What will it take to get this thread back out of the basement?

Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible. All OT threads are now supposed to reside in the basement. That's how Robin wants it. If we were to move this thread out of the basement, then people would want us to move other threads out of the basement. Once we start doing that, it's a slippery slope. How can we fairly pick and choose? I agree that this is an awesome thread, but the fact remains that it is OT.

#850 8 years ago

I honestly don't really get why it matters if a thread is in the basement or not. Other than the color scheme, what's the difference? The thread hasn't been "buried" as lowepg suggested. All basement threads still show up on the main forum page if you have that option turned on in your forum settings.

#852 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Really?
    So do basement threads show up on the main page by default or is the default that they are hidden?

The default is hidden ....

Settings.pngSettings.png

#855 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Not sure why you are unhappy with me correctly identifying that?

Who said I was unhappy?

#856 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Basement posts are not on my main page on my phone.

Here's a screenshot of the main page on my phone. Notice the popcorn thread at the bottom .....

Screenshot.pngScreenshot.png

#860 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

btw, allow to also call bullshit on this comment.... the dreaded slippery slope argument.
    there already exists a proper place for this thread: gameroom.
    a quick glance in that thread reveals other such riveting topics as:
    garbage cans: vintage or not?
    soda machines
    panel light diffusers
    pool tables
    etc.
    Not quite sure how those are somehow ONTOPIC for game rooms, yet popcorn machines pose some sort of slippery slope/clear and present danger of the world exploding if not moved to basement...

First of all, you are absolutely correct. This thread should be in the "All Gameroom Talk" sub-forum, and I will move it there now. In my haste to explain why it was moved to the basement, I completely overlooked the fact that there was already an appropriate sub-forum for it.

Secondly, you really need to learn how to express yourself in a more polite manner. Even when you are making a point that is valid, you have a tendency to do it an a nasty way.

#862 8 years ago
    Quoted from robbo105:

I didn't realize basement threads did not show up in the main forum search. That's a problem. This is a great thread for discussing popcorn machines used in our game rooms.
    There are a number of similar threads that have not been moved to the basement. Perhaps this thread should have been titled "Gameroom Popcorn Machines".
    Has anybody tried getting this moved back to Gameroom Talk using Moderator Feedback?

I just moved it.

#864 8 years ago
    Quoted from robbo105:

Awesome, thank you!!!!
    Should we also get the title changed to "Gameroom Popcorn machine...... who has one" to eliminate any future confusion?

I think it's fine. It's in the appropriate sub-forum now, so people will know it's in reference to game rooms.

2 months later
    #896 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

My problem with the gallon containers is after the first inch is gone, I have to reach further and further into the container and get oil all over my hand scooping it out.

Perhaps something like this would work?

http://www.amazon.com/Prepworks-Progressive-Handled-Coffee-Scoop/dp/B000HM606Y

Scoop_(resized).jpgScoop_(resized).jpg

1 month later
    #906 8 years ago

If anyone is looking for some good popcorn bags, I recently picked up some of these laminated ones made by Gold Medal. They are very high quality, will hold butter without it soaking through, and are the perfect size for movie night with the family ...

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/gold-medal-laminated-popcorn-bags-2-5-oz/197132.ip?origin=item_page.rr1&campaign=rr&sn=ClickCP&campaign_data=197133

If you don't want to buy 1000 of them, you can pick up a pack of 60 on Amazon for $14 ...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WF6ATDA

Gold_Medal_bag_(resized).jpgGold_Medal_bag_(resized).jpg

1 month later
    1 week later
    #933 8 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

Great deal on Amazon on a popcorn machine... $129. All time Amazon low. Jump quick ...

Just when you thought it couldn't possible go any lower, they knocked it down to only $119.95. This is an absolute steal ...

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Northern-Popcorn-Lincoln-Antique/dp/B000QWCAB4

Lincoln_Popper_(resized).jpgLincoln_Popper_(resized).jpg

#941 7 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Can we add a poll:
    "How many pinsiders bought a popcorn machine BECAUSE of this thread?"
    *raises hand*

*also raises hand*

#954 7 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Local BulbsPlus store recommended a Halogen bulb and said the bulb I brought in was being discontinued due to new laws.

A halogen bulb might be an even better option. Don't they run hotter?

#957 7 years ago
    Quoted from TZBen:

multi-batch question.....after the 1st batch is finished and I immediately want to cook more (because I like to party) how long do I let the oil sit in the tub prior to adding the corn? Per vid, I wait about 5 minutes from a cold start on the 1st batch.

For every batch I make, I always toss a couple test kernels in first. Once they pop, I know the oil has reached the proper temperature, and then I add the rest.

#959 7 years ago
    Quoted from TZBen:

thanks!
    ouch looks like the price of great northern machine has jumped up to 188 on amazon. I feel lucky now.
    amazon.com link »

Like I said before, $120 was a steal. I'm glad you jumped on it. For that price, I considered purchasing a second one as a spare. The only problem is that my cart is red.

#961 7 years ago

The Lincoln popper at $120 was a much better deal. It's a slightly larger machine with a higher wattage kettle (860 vs. 640).

1 month later
    #984 7 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

Has anyone tried the organic stuff from Great Northern? Does it taste like wood chips or is it comparable?

I haven't tried it myself, but it has very good reviews on Amazon. If you're looking for organic all-in-one packets, people seem to really like this stuff ...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M8KF140

Organic_Popcorn_(resized).jpgOrganic_Popcorn_(resized).jpg

2 months later
    #996 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Northern-Popcorn-6210-POPHEAVEN/dp/B006BCK91G/ref=sr_1_7

I really like the look of this machine...What do you guys think of the quality of this popper? Is it a good one?

I've always thought that one looks cool as well. I almost bought it, but I decided I didn't need that large of a kettle. I would imagine it's the same quality as all the other Great Northern poppers. For light to medium use, it should be more than sufficient. If you plan on using it all the time, it might make sense to invest in a better machine from a company like Gold Medal, Cretors or Paragon. Of course, they will be substantially more expensive unless you find a good deal on a used one.

1 month later
    #1006 7 years ago

If you are on a budget, the Great Northern poppers are great. I have one, and I love it. They don't compare in quality, however, to the machines made by companies like Gold Medal, Cretors, Paragon, etc ... Great Northern may call their machines "commercial quality", but they are really designed for home use. As shock_me recently pointed out, you get what you pay for.

#1010 7 years ago
    Quoted from bpa:

I'm looking at getting an 8 oz popper for my kids for Christmas. Can you do smaller batches or are you always stuck with the designated size?

There's no problem at all popping smaller batches in an 8 oz machine. I've done it many times with mine. As long as you have the right corn to oil ratio, you'll be fine.

#1012 7 years ago
    Quoted from rwarren28806:

What is the advantage of an 850 watt unit over a 470 watt one?

My guess is that it heats up faster and gets hotter.

#1015 7 years ago
    Quoted from rwarren28806:

I'm not an electricity expert but wouldn't doubling the heat scorch the popcorn? I've seen large units with 1500 watts. Is superheating better?

Again, this is just a guess, but I'm thinking there is a temperature range where the corn can properly pop without burning. A kettle that can heat up near the top of that range will pop the corn faster.

#1017 7 years ago

I found this information after doing a Google search ....

Wattage

Wattage refers to how much power the machine needs. While many believe that a higher wattage rating is needed to make an efficient machine, that’s not necessarily true. Sure, it’ll make popcorn fast. However, it will result in more unpopped kernels and more wasted energy.

Popcorn machines should be efficient. It needs to use power effectively to make the best popcorn possible. Just because a machine has a lower wattage doesn’t mean it’s inferior. In fact, it may mean that the machine is designed more strategically to ensure that energy isn’t wasted.

For home theaters, it’s good to look at machines that have around 600 watts. You can choose an option with more or less based on how fast you want a cycle completed and how power-efficient you need the machine to be.

#1024 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

We love ours and it's been flawless. I still have the 3D printed part Wolfmarsh was nice enough to print for me. Great guy and it works great keeping the lid closed.

I have one of those as well. It does indeed work great. So simple, and yet so brilliant at the same time.

2 months later
    #1031 7 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

You might also try letting it sit in the machine for about 30 mins before eating, mine is the same way sometimes. Just leave the light and deck warmer on and try it about a half hour later.

This would be my advice as well. Letting it sit for a bit with the warmer on will help to dry it out.

2 months later
    #1036 7 years ago
    Quoted from Don44:

I have had this popcorn machine for a couple of years. It always worked great but now after a few batches, the rotating piece that stirs the popcorn stops spinning. I took it apart and there is a motor in there. I figured I would replace the motor but then found out it costs about $300. Any other suggestions I could try before purchasing that motor? It is star manufacturing model #89D

That looks like a nice commercial popper. What brand/model is it? It might make sense to purchase a new motor if it's an expensive machine and everything else is still in great shape.

1 month later
    #1092 6 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

I can honestly say I've never been in a Trader Joe's. Looks like I have a reason to go now. Thanks for the heads up!

It's actually a pretty cool store with great prices.

5 months later
    #1182 6 years ago

The popcorn may taste good from a Whirley-Pop, but it doesn't have nearly the same cool factor as a popcorn machine.

1 month later
    #1216 6 years ago
    Quoted from krunch:

This is my popcorn popper. It has a small steam engine that stirs the popcorn and turns the peanut roaster.

That thing is awesome! It looks like it's in collector quality condition. What year is it from?

1 month later
    #1224 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

My little fun one...

Aww, so cute! I assume "pipoca" is "popcorn" in Portuguese?

3 months later
    #1234 6 years ago
    Quoted from Waldo:

From experience what brand has the best popcorn packs? Great Northern, Pop Weaver, etc?

I like the Gold Medal ones ...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D20WAW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage

2 weeks later
    #1237 5 years ago

The bulb just burned out in my Great Northern. Does anyone know the correct type and wattage of bulb to replace it with?

#1239 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lamprey:

Should be a 50 watt R20.
    Depending on your usage, you may want to get a longer life bulb (10k-20k hours). I have my machine on almost 24/7, so I bought a pack of 20k hour ones and they are working great.
    Here are some links:
    https://www.bulborama.com/45-50-WATT-R20-FLOOD-20K-TURBO-LIFE-LIGHT-BULB-20-000-HOURS-p9.html
    I had purchased these in the past, but they are no longer available:
    amazon.com link »
    I'd also suggest avoiding LED bulbs as they heat of the incandescent works to help keep your popcorn warm and crispy, even if you have a heated deck.

Thanks for the info!

5 months later
    #1240 5 years ago

I accidentally left my popcorn maker on for about two hours after I popped a batch the other night. Now there is a charred caked on residue covering the entire bottom of the pot. What is the best way to clean this?

#1243 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

If it was canola oil (versus coconut oil), it could be totalled.

It was coconut oil. I use Gold Medal pre-portioned packs.

#1246 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lamprey:

There are cleaners specifically for popcorn kettles, but I have not used them myself. Not sure if they'd help in this case or not..?
    https://www.amazon.com/GOLD-MEDAL-PRODUCTS-2095MC-Kleen/dp/B001EEU6RS

That stuff actually looks like it might do the trick. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

#1249 5 years ago

I just wanted to follow up. The Gold Medal "Heat N Clean" worked amazingly. The kettle looks brand new!

#1255 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

NEVER clean the kettle.

I concur. Pryor to this fiasco, I never cleaned it. I just wiped it out with a paper towel between batches.

#1257 5 years ago

FYI, Amazon has a 24-pack of Gold Medal 8oz kits for $27.19 with free shipping. That's the cheapest I've seen them ...

https://www.amazon.com/Products-Coconut-2838-Popcorn-pre-measured/dp/B001D20WAW/ref=lp_2592790011_1_1_a_it

#1260 5 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

Kettles are like cast iron cookware...properly seasoning them is the key.

I can attest to this. My popcorn definitely started tasting better the more I used the popper. That's why I'm kind of bummed I had to clean it. Now I have to start all over.

#1263 5 years ago

My dog loves popcorn too. He's always sneaking down into the basement to see if he can find any stray kernels on the ground near the machine.

2 months later
    #1299 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

I heard these oil/butter machines are a nightmare to clean, or at least are time consuming to clean every time you use them?

Are you referring to a separate butter/oil dispenser, or the popcorn machine itself?

#1306 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

The machine itself. Something like this for example:
    https://www.ht-express.com/Paragon-Theater-Pop-4oz-P19.aspx
    or this:
    https://www.htmarket.com/allstred4ozp1.html
    It says easy to clean kettle, so I'm assuming you have to clean the kettle? I just brought this topic up to my wife and she said these machines are time consuming to clean every time you use them.

I agree with @vid1900. There is no need to clean it very often. I simply wipe the inside of my kettle with a dry paper towel once every 4-5 batches. That's it. Buy one. You will love it!

#1337 5 years ago
    Quoted from AAAV8R:

The Gold Medal appears to be of superior quality. But, is the quality worth that much more in price?

Quoted from mbaumle:

I'm a big proponent of "you get what you pay for" and I'd much rather pay extra for a quality machine, BUT if the quality or features don't justify the pricing premium, I'd just get the Lincoln Popper.

It really depends how often you will use it. If you are only going to pop some corn a couple times a month, then an inexpensive popper is fine. If you are going to be using it 3-4 times a week, however, I'd probably go with a nicer one. I own an 8oz Great Northern unit. I love it, and it makes great tasting popcorn, but the quality of the machine sucks compared to a Gold Metal, Cretors, or even a Paragon. You do indeed get what you pay for, and in this case the extra money gets you a commercial grade machine vs. a home unit.

#1348 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I can't imagine how much you would have to buy to break even on the $60 a year fee to shop there.

My Costco membership pays for itself just on the gas savings alone. Both my car and my wife's car require premium gas. It's amazing how much cheaper the higher octane gas is at Costco vs. the big chains like Mobil or Shell. We're talking literally 40-60 cents a gallon less.

#1358 5 years ago
    Quoted from yellowghost:

I tried cooking with coconut oil a few times and it left a coconut taste. You don't get that taste when cooking popcorn?

Almost every movie theater uses coconut oil. Does movie theater popcorn taste like coconuts to you?

#1366 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

16oz Paramount machine (usually the one they rent for parties from the rent-all place) makes 2 large buckets at a time ($229) Lifetime warranty

https://www.amazon.com/Paramount-16oz-Popcorn-Maker-Machine/dp/B07HKPDV35/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1

There is currently one of these units for sale on Chicago craigslist. They claim it is brand new, just discounted because it is an open box. $170 for the machine, or $240 with the cart ...

chicago.craigslist.org link

1 week later
    #1390 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

I've said it before - the Whirly Pop is awesome, doesn't take up much room, makes amazing popcorn, and is cheap. I personally don't see the need for a dedicated machine that will always take up space, unless you want it for decor.

The Whirly Pop is great. I used to use one all the time back in the day, and it makes some great tasting popcorn. That being said, it can't match the convenience of a machine with an electric stirrer, a heated warming deck, and an old maid drawer. Like you said, though, you have to have the space for it. If space is at a premium and all you want is some delicious popcorn, then the Whirly Pop is your best option.

2 weeks later
    #1417 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

I have 3 great northern popcorn machines with 8 oz kettles.
    Always a lid stays up and most of the corn blows out before its popped. Yes I can knock it down manually, but why is this happening?
    The kettle has a cam on the stirring shaft, with a lobe, to knock down the lid in case it gets knocked up.
    Sadly on all of my kettles the lobe doesnt even touch the lid to knock it down. Did anyone notice this at the factory? I guess not...
    Evidently chinese quality control and lack of understanding the application is in play here.
    I imagine years ago the lobe was longer and probably more than one lobe.
    Things change when multiple vendors are used, and they have no idea what they are doing.
    So, I did a simple mod on the cam to fix it so that it works 100% and its fixed permanently and super easy.
    I have 8 oz kettles.
    I pulled out the set screw that holds the cam in place, and installed a M5 x 10mm .80 pitch screw. Stainless if you can get it.
    If you have a smaller or bigger kettle you might use a different screw, but I bet it's all the same if you have this issue.
    Now the lids get knocked down and old maids are very limited.
    It really works so well now!
    [quoted image]
    Please post if you have this issue and if this fixed it.
    My kettles are so much better now.

Nice job!

Unfortunately, this is a common problem with the Great Northern poppers. Your fix is similar to the 3D printed piece that Wolfmarsh came up with ...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one/page/10#post-2427719

#1420 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

4 lobes would be nice, but the single lobe does the job very well.

You wouldn't want four lobes, because then you wouldn't be able to open the lid all the way when you are putting in the oil and the corn.

#1426 5 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

I’ve been offered this for free, any value?

No idea on value, but I like the art deco design.

1 month later
    #1470 5 years ago
    Quoted from ACcookDC:

Has anyone painted their rusty ceiling of a Great Northern? Was thinking of maybe rustoleum high heat. Rustoleum says the don’t have anything for this application as it is not rated for direct contact with food. Any recommendations?

I think someone earlier in the thread replaced the entire roof piece with a stainless steel one.

4 months later
    #1499 4 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

I read through a bunch of this as I've been thinking about picking up a machine recently. Is there a consensus about what's the best to get? I was set on the Paramount 8oz one, but then saw in both reviews and on here that the top has rusted on people.
    Was also thinking about this one?
    http://www.greatnorthernpopcorn.com/great-northern-popcorn-bar-style-popcorn-popper-machine-commercial-8-oz/
    Any thoughts? Would love to join this club, but want to make sure I get one I'm happy with. Thanks for any input.

It depends on how often you plan on using it. I have a Great Northern machine that I love, but I only make popcorn a couple times a month. You definitely get what you pay for with these machines. If you plan on popping a lot of corn, I would consider getting a better quality used machine. The Gold Medal and Cretors commercial machines are built like tanks.

1 year later
    #1545 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jstampa:

Well, after seeing all of these popcorn machines I decided to add one. I added a Paragon 8 oz. I decided on the Paragon because of the made in the USA. I want one that I feel will be able to hand down to my daughter when I'm gone. I haven't popped it yet but hopefully tomorrow.
    [quoted image]

That's a really solid machine. Congrats!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gweempose.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one?tu=gweempose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.