(Topic ID: 74892)

Popcorn machine...... who has one

By JDubbbs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7965 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 01-25-43 Dune Part Two Stars React to AMC Theaters' Viral Sandworm Popcorn Bucket 'That's Not Okay' (re
    GEueuzBWEAAO143 (resized).jpg
    GEueu0AWwAEnoGO (resized).jpg
    IMG_0013 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240101_194505_Gallery (resized).jpg
    IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    bar jdubbs 2 (resized).jpg
    bar jdubbs 1 (resized).jpg
    20230223_091543 (resized).jpg
    20230222_155014 (resized).jpg
    20230220_154212 (resized).jpg
    20230220_180046 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9560874E-49C3-4C46-AA38-3DCB82C78C01 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frankj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Have experts reversed their thinking on coconut oil? I remember when the Center for Science in the Public Interest lobbied hard to have coconut oil banned from movie theaters. This was a while ago, though, so things could have changed. I definitely agree that coconut oil makes the best popcorn, hands down.

No, coconut oil is still a saturated fat. Consumers did not like the flavor of the alternative oils. So, little by little, everyone switched back to coconut oil.

1 year later
    #193 9 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

Buy it. It's not worth the mess. And whatever you do, don't put anything other than popcorn kernels, oil and seasoning in your kettle.

Great advice. Caramel corn is tumbled, with the sugars/syrup added during tumbling after the corn is popped.

You don't want sugars burnt into your kettle.

There are great recipe's out there for baking caramel corn - popping, coating, and then baking. Still, a big PITA.

Want great caramel corn? Google Nut's On Clark in Chicago. Expensive, but well worth it.

1 month later
    #331 9 years ago

Popcorn seed has a water content. If you buy in bulk, make sure you seal the container tightly. Dry seed doesn't pop very well.

+1 on packets.

1 month later
    #418 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I sound like a weirdo with the cleaning comments, lol, but what's involved in cleaning the hot dog roller? My wife saw it over my shoulder and thinks it's cool.

With the grill still hot, rub the rollers with a couple ice cubes. The gunk falls right off. Then, when cool, wipe with a little soapy water to remove the small amount of grease left on the rollers.

That's how we clean them in a commercial environment.

1 year later
    #943 7 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

Wondered about "saving" the unpopped ones and adding them to later batches or making an unpopped kernel batch. Thoughts?

Not sure how well this works. Popcorn 'pop's because of the moisture in the seed. You'd think that the heat from the first batch would dry out the kernal. Low moisture might be the reason why it didn't pop in the first place.

2 years later
    #1442 5 years ago

Gold Medal dealers sell yellow, food grade popcorn bags that the industry uses. If I remember correctly, they hold about 2lbs each. They are cylindrical and stack nicely.

Quoted from shepP:

Does anyone know what kind of large bags should be used so store popcorn? I'm talking about garbage size. The equivalent of 30 8oz popcorn batches. It's for a charity function. I know they sell large clear recycle bags but I'm not sure if they are safe for food and a lot of them have added chemicals/powders to reduce smell.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frankj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one?tu=frankj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.