(Topic ID: 74892)

Popcorn machine...... who has one

By JDubbbs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7965 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 01-25-43 Dune Part Two Stars React to AMC Theaters' Viral Sandworm Popcorn Bucket 'That's Not Okay' (re
    GEueuzBWEAAO143 (resized).jpg
    GEueu0AWwAEnoGO (resized).jpg
    IMG_0013 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240101_194505_Gallery (resized).jpg
    IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    bar jdubbs 2 (resized).jpg
    bar jdubbs 1 (resized).jpg
    20230223_091543 (resized).jpg
    20230222_155014 (resized).jpg
    20230220_154212 (resized).jpg
    20230220_180046 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9560874E-49C3-4C46-AA38-3DCB82C78C01 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fezmid.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1179 6 years ago

Personally, I'd rather just spend $20 on a Whirley-Pop and make it on the stove when needed instead of buying a machine. The popcorn turns out GREAT, and it's much easier to clean and takes up less space. It only takes ~3 minutes to make a full batch.

The key is to use coconut oil and butter salt. Yum!

#1183 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

The popcorn may taste good from a Whirley-Pop, but it doesn't have nearly the same cool factor as a popcorn machine.

That's true -- but I'd rather put that money towards a pin.

#1189 6 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

I guess I never thought about that....but like gweempose said, cool factor lol
    but who knows, I'll have to find a way, i'm wanting some theater-like popcorn bad.

Like I said, spend the $20 on the Whirley-Pop until you figure out what you want to do longer term. It's cheap, and the popcorn/oil/seasonings you buy will work in any future machine you may buy. Until then, you'll be able to enjoy theater-like popcorn.

#1191 6 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Any one know if there are any brick/mortar retailers that sell Flavacol?

Not sure where to find it (I do all my shopping on Amazon...)

I like this brand: https://www.amazon.com/Paragon-Butter-Flavored-Seasoning-Salt/dp/B002YLGAIO

I use a cap-full for each batch of popcorn.

Then for oil, I use this:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CPZPYLS/
    or this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Wabash-Valley-Farms-Popping-Oil/dp/B002EITVVA

Then buy some Wabash Valley Farms Amish Country popcorn, and you're done. There's a lot of different types, so experiment to find which ones you like best. My wife's favorite is the baby white (not many hulls and they're tiny). I really like the blue popcorn as it's a little sweeter. My all time favorite is Strawberry popcorn, but I don't think the farmer had a harvest this year. http://jacksgrainandgourds.homestead.com/

#1195 6 years ago

This is how I do it:

Don't heat anything up ahead of time -- put the oil (only 1 tablespoon), the butter salt (teaspoon, maybe less depending on how much you like), and the half a cup of popcorn. Turn on the heat, spin it for about 3 minutes (until it stops popping), and you're done. I'm thinking heating up the oil ahead of time (and using 50% more than I do) may have made it chewy.

The type of popcorn probably factors in too. Don't use Orville Redinbocker or any of that junk. Find a supplier of high quality kernels if you haven't already. Wabash Valley is good, but you can find others as well.

1 year later
    #1389 5 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Frankly we use the whirly popper more than any other popper. Makes 1/2 cup, usually make double batch for more than two people. The thing gets washed once a week because we use it almost every day. These are perfect for older people, they probably used to have one as a kid!
    amazon.com link »

I've said it before - the Whirly Pop is awesome, doesn't take up much room, makes amazing popcorn, and is cheap. I personally don't see the need for a dedicated machine that will always take up space, unless you want it for decor.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fezmid.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one?tu=fezmid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.