(Topic ID: 74892)

Popcorn machine...... who has one

By JDubbbs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7965 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 01-25-43 Dune Part Two Stars React to AMC Theaters' Viral Sandworm Popcorn Bucket 'That's Not Okay' (re
    GEueuzBWEAAO143 (resized).jpg
    GEueu0AWwAEnoGO (resized).jpg
    IMG_0013 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240101_194505_Gallery (resized).jpg
    IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    bar jdubbs 2 (resized).jpg
    bar jdubbs 1 (resized).jpg
    20230223_091543 (resized).jpg
    20230222_155014 (resized).jpg
    20230220_154212 (resized).jpg
    20230220_180046 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9560874E-49C3-4C46-AA38-3DCB82C78C01 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider f3honda4me.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1295 5 years ago

I heard these oil/butter machines are a nightmare to clean, or at least are time consuming to clean every time you use them?

#1297 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

1st:
    You don't put any butter in the machine.
    You only put oil and salt in the kettle - that's it.
    2nd:
    You NEVER clean the kettle.
    It gets seasoned like a cast iron pan or BBQ grill - and you don't want to ever clean that seasoned surface off.
    There is an "old maids" drawer that catches any unpopped or under popped kernels. You empty this every 5 or so pops.

Sorry not actual butter hah. I really meant just the oil or whatever oil you use.

So, you never have to clean the machine at all?

#1300 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Are you referring to a separate butter/oil dispenser, or the popcorn machine itself?

The machine itself. Something like this for example:

https://www.ht-express.com/Paragon-Theater-Pop-4oz-P19.aspx

or this:
    https://www.htmarket.com/allstred4ozp1.html

It says easy to clean kettle, so I'm assuming you have to clean the kettle? I just brought this topic up to my wife and she said these machines are time consuming to clean every time you use them.

#1303 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Don't get a 4oz machine, that's probably too small for any grown man.
    An 8oz is probably perfect for most homeowners, it makes one large popcorn bucket at a time.
    This 8oz goes on sale for $119 all the time, you see it in every small pub:
    amazon.com link »
    ...and you don't have to clean it!
    [quoted image]
    They have fixed everyone's biggest complaint about the galvanized roof rusting - now it's made of stainless steel
    [quoted image]

Thanks for the recommendation!

#1314 5 years ago

Now I need recommendation on oil. Can’t use coconut and no dairy or gluten. But still have a buttery flavor if possible, like what they have at the movies.

#1323 5 years ago
    Quoted from TenaciousT:

For joemagiera - I thought all pop corn now was popped somewhere else then brought to the theater in bags? So the people working the counter wouldn't have a clue !

Not at our theater.

3 years later
    #1608 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The oil needs to be really hot (425*F) before adding the corn, 3 minutes seems too soon.
    If you don't have a laser thermometer, drop in a single kernel. If it does not almost instantly pop, it's not hot enough.

When do you add the flavacol? And when should you turn on the kettle stirrer?

#1612 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

I add the Flavicol to the corn before I dump it into the kettle.
    I add the oil to the kettle and turn it on.
    When the oil smokes a bit then I add the corn/flavicol mix, then I turn on the stirrer.
    I dump the kettle well before I hear the last few kernels pop.
    WELL before.... I usually have 20 of 30 un-popped kernels.
    I dont like the taste of scorched corn.
    I add them to the next batch when I clean up or emplty the machine.
    They actually pop just fine the second time thru.
    Right now Im using 1/3 less oil than the recipe (1/4 cup or a 2oz ice cream scoop for my 8oz kettle) and about 1 1/8 teaspoons of flavicol (or about half the recommended).
    Less oils pops bigger, flavicol is a matter of taste.
    Tons of oil pops smaller corn.
    You will see this with a bit of experimentation.
    I measured out a Great Northern 8oz pre-pak.
    1 cup corn
    2oz of coconut oil
    1tsp flavicol.
    It comes out just about right.

Quoted from Lamprey:

Dump it all together it doesn’t matter. I’ve tested several options and no difference.
    My stirrer is connected to the heater so it comes on with the heater, so just when you turn the heat on or before you add everything. But do get the kettle hot before you add everything.

Thank you both! Making the first go at it tonight.

#1626 1 year ago

I have been using 2 TBPS of oil and 1 cup of kernels, along with 2 tsp of flavacol and so far it's awesome. But, one thing I noticed is that only about 50-60% of the kernels are popping. I will wait until it completely stops popping, as in no kernels popping at all for 30 seconds or more and there's still like 40-50% of the kernels in the kettle that just don't want to pop. Am I not using enough oil? Checked kettle temp with my infrared and it shows almost 500F.

#1631 1 year ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Make sure you have kernel less than a year old.
    Pour in slowly, with the stirrer on. Make sure the kernels are all being poured into oil, not on top of other kernels
    You don't say size of your kettle, it could be a 6oz and you don't have enough BTU
    Add another spoon of oil, if all else fails

8oz kettle.

Thanks all I’ll try more oil and a bit less flavacol.

#1632 1 year ago

That worked! 4 tbsp oil and 1 1/4 tsp flavacol. Popped 90% I’d wager. Now to find a restaurant supply store and buy a big bag of large popcorn kernels.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider f3honda4me.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one?tu=f3honda4me and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.