(Topic ID: 74892)

Popcorn machine...... who has one

By JDubbbs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7965 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 01-25-43 Dune Part Two Stars React to AMC Theaters' Viral Sandworm Popcorn Bucket 'That's Not Okay' (re
    GEueuzBWEAAO143 (resized).jpg
    GEueu0AWwAEnoGO (resized).jpg
    IMG_0013 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240101_194505_Gallery (resized).jpg
    IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    bar jdubbs 2 (resized).jpg
    bar jdubbs 1 (resized).jpg
    20230223_091543 (resized).jpg
    20230222_155014 (resized).jpg
    20230220_154212 (resized).jpg
    20230220_180046 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9560874E-49C3-4C46-AA38-3DCB82C78C01 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Spyderturbo007.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#208 9 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Our cat is intrigued by it everytime it's running.

That's so cute.

2 months later
    #412 9 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Hot dog rollers get used pretty heavy at parties at our place. And you can get them in different sizes.
    I have one like this for 12, but get larger if you have more people:
    ebay.com link » 12 Hot Dog Commercial Home 5 Roller Grill Cooker Stainless Steel Drip Pan Easy

You never have that out when I'm over.

#416 9 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

and wife down with a moist paper towel

I'm not even going to ask about the wife down moist paper comment.

2 months later
    #593 8 years ago

Anyone know the difference between the different Great Northern models? I see there is a Commercial, Foundation, Paducah, Lincoln, etc. I checked their website for a comparison chart and couldn't find one. To be honestly, their website page for the popcorn machines is blank.

#596 8 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

i asked them the same question, and now i cant find the email, but basically they said the number of doors, some have 1, others 2. and the general styling.

That's good to know, thanks. There is decent price swing depending on which way you go.

2 weeks later
    #631 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Which model is it though? Im now seeing like 5 different 8oz machines they have:

Antique
    Foundation
    Good Time
    All-star

ugh!

I asked this same questions and apparently the only difference is the styling.

#675 8 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Finally popping some tonight. Thanks Wolfmarsh! This thing stops the occasional open door!

Why don't you ever turn that thing on when I'm over?

#682 8 years ago

I remember reading that it's supposed to be added to the oil. I'll see if I can find that post for you.

EDIT ->

Here we go. It was one of Vid's posts:

Quoted from vid1900:

Flavorcol - get both regular and Better Butter - at $3 a box, you can try both. Use 1/2 of what the box says, otherwise it's WAY too salty. Make sure the Flavorcol goes INTO the oil, don't sprinkle it on the popcorn!!!!!!

3 weeks later
    #724 8 years ago

Mine got delivered yesterday. How does everyone make this stuff? The instruction manual says to preheat the oil for 3 minutes, then add the corn and seasoning. However, the package says to just dump everything in after preheating the empty kettle for 5-7 minutes. I went with adding the oil first and then the corn and seasoning. After about 3 minutes, the oil started to smell burnt, but perhaps it was manufacturing residue that I didn't properly clean first.

It tasted pretty good, but some of the corn had a lot more seasoning than other.

I'm also getting unpopped corn flying out of the gap above the doors. Is that normal?

I bought these pre-portioned packages. They are a pain in the ass to work with if you ask me.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Northern-Popcorn-Portion-Counts/dp/B000PDY3HI

20317903036_427140645c_o.jpg20317903036_427140645c_o.jpg

20335667692_2e37f6950a_o.jpg20335667692_2e37f6950a_o.jpg

20156133508_1dc298c273_o.jpg20156133508_1dc298c273_o.jpg

#731 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

BTW, nice garage. I could eat off that floor.

Thanks! It's my first garage and happens to be a 3 car. I love it!

Quoted from kingfishtr:

You should never just dump in oil and let it heat until it smokes. That is how you start a flash fire and burn down the house.

It's unfortunate that they recommend doing it that way in the instructions. I'll try dumping everything in all at once the next time. I might make another batch tonight just to see how it goes.

Looks like cleanup is just a matter of wiping it down with a damp cloth?

Quoted from radium:

I used wolfmarsh's lid closer widget from a few pages ago and it helps with that (thanks wm!).

I'll see if I can find what you are referring to and buy one.

2 months later
    #764 8 years ago

Mine is starting to get like that too. I bought it on August 5th. It isn't nearly that bad, but it isn't what I expected for $300.

2 weeks later
    #802 8 years ago

For those that use the pre-packaged corn/flavor/oil packages, which ones does everyone like the best. I'm almost out and need to order more. I went with the Great Northern ones, but I see there are a lot of different options.

This is what I use now:

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Northern-Popcorn-Portion-Counts/dp/B000PDY3HI/ref=lp_16323041_1_2

I see these are on Amazon:

Superior:

http://www.amazon.com/Superior-Popcorn-Premium-Ounce-Portion/dp/B00J0CP45K/ref=pd_sim_325_35

Country Harvest:

http://www.amazon.com/Country-Harvest-Popcorn-Tri-Pack-Pack/dp/B00I4R73RY/ref=pd_sim_325_45

At the Movies:

http://www.amazon.com/At-The-Movies-Popcorn-Coconut-Portion-Packs-Case/dp/B00JTLGMQC/ref=pd_sim_200_6

Franklin's (Which seems to be the most expensive)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M8KF0LE

The only reason I ask, is most of them appear to be packaged exactly the same.

4 weeks later
    #830 8 years ago

I had posted earlier in this thread about who likes which brands of popcorn. I wanted to report back that I bought a case of Franklin's and it was a complete let down. It was very bland and everyone that was over that evening felt the same way.

I bought some Flavacol and will see if adding more makes it taste any better.

#834 8 years ago

Have you tried Franklin's? I'll trade you a bag of Franklin's for a bag of Mega Pop? This offer applies to anyone else that would like to trade for something other than Great Northern and Franklin's. I have an 8oz popper.

It just sucks having to buy a whole damn case just to find out you like the last stuff better.

Franklins.jpgFranklins.jpg

6 months later
    #985 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I haven't tried it myself, but it has very good reviews on Amazon. If you're looking for organic all-in-one packets, people seem to really like this stuff ...

I bought a case. I don't really like it though. Everyone says it tastes pretty bland. I've been experimenting with throwing out the flavor portion and making my own out of Flavicol and Better Butter Flavicol so it doesn't go to waste.

I gave one to a friend of mine and he said he liked it. Everyone at my house said the Great Northern is better.

9 months later
    #1042 7 years ago

Does anyone know how hard it is to pull the top? I haven't looked at removal, but I know mine is starting to rust as well.

1 month later
    #1087 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

But, to be honest, my mates and I eat many 16oz batches of popcorn every week and lately, EVERYONE prefers the SupurKist.

How do you put it on? Spray bottle? Condiment bottle? What's the shelf life like? I see Amazon has it in 1g jugs.

2 months later
    #1146 6 years ago

I do mine differently than how I've read most people do it. I add the oil and seasoning at the same time to a cold kettle. Once the oil is melted, I add the corn. After that, it takes about 5-6 minutes for it to pop. I also dump it pretty early as well, when it's in the neighborhood of 1 - 2 pops / second.

After doing about 100 batches, I find this tastes the best to me. I've tried it the way some people suggest and wait for the oil to get hot, but I don't think it tastes as good as when you add it initially. You'll also notice that if you do it that way, the popcorn looks more white.

It's going to be slightly spongy right after popping because of all the steam. It's the best if you pop it ahead of time and let it sit in the kettle with the warming tray turned on for about an hour or so.

#1149 6 years ago
    Quoted from smacks:

I always pop with the front doors open to release the steam and get the smell flowing too.

I tried this with mine once and ended up having to vacuum the floor.

#1151 6 years ago
    Quoted from smacks:

Isn't that what dogs are for

Just cats and fish at my house. Although it would be easier if Violet liked popcorn.

#1157 6 years ago

57125210 (resized).jpg57125210 (resized).jpg

#1164 6 years ago

I'll do my best to answer your questions. 8oz should be just fine. Keep in mind that even if you buy pre-packaged like I do, you're talking around $1/batch. So if you waste some, it's probably no big deal.

As delicious as this stuff is, 2 or 3 of you can definitely plow through 8oz in a night. If not, just leave it in the popper, then turn on the warming tray the next day. In about an hour or so, it will be as good as new.

As for going bad, I don't think this stuff ever goes bad. I've eaten it 4 or 5 days after its been popped and as long as you turn on the tray for awhile, it tastes just as good as it did after being popped.

3 months later
    #1200 6 years ago

What's sprouted popcorn?

1 year later
    #1351 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Every month it's a bunch of dumb "dollars off" coupons that are still too much after discount.
    Can oil and batteries possibly have a MAP price?
    Give me the bottom line, or I know it's a scam.[quoted image]

I think you kind of shot yourself in the foot on that one.

The Ring 2 doorbell can't be found online for less than $179, so $149 at Costco is a pretty good deal.

1 month later
    #1452 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Joining the popcorn party myself. After reading this thread we were inspired to have a different popcorn experience for friends and the kids visiting so we had this Popperette top to bottom restored. Turned out great and look forward to many bags of enjoyment.

Looks beautifully done.

I’d love to see a video of it in action if you’re bored one day.

1 month later
    #1475 4 years ago

That's totally bad ass. I'm glad you're going to be using it!

1 month later
    #1483 4 years ago
    Quoted from tjprice222:

Anyone here ever have an issue where the popcorn is getting stuck in the kettle when it starts popping? The agitator or spinner inside my kettle is getting jammed causing the gears at the top to push the kettle rod away thus the popcorn gets stuck and burns in the kettle unless I turn off the heat and pry it out with a fork. I’ve tried realigning the arms and the plate at the top but it keeps happening. Kettle size is 8oz and I’m using the directed amounts of corn and oil. Any recommendations?

I wonder if a piece is stuck under the collar? Open the flap covering the kettle and look at the bottom where the rod comes in for the stir bar. At the bottom is a collar on a spring. Pull that up and see if anything is jammed inside the collar.

3 weeks later
    #1489 4 years ago

Not sure if anyone else orders the Great Northern 8oz packs, but I was running low so I check Amazon to order more. I normally buy the case of 24 which is selling for $40.99, but somehow I stumbled on a case of 40.

I'm not sure how, but the case of 40 is $39.99 and the case of 24 is $40.00. The last few times I've ordered, the 24 count has been between $32 - $40 and I've never seen the 40 count before.

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Northern-Popcorn-Premium-Quality/dp/B009YGQ9CO

#1491 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Those are the ones I get. I order them 3 at a time in multiple orders since they have a limit.
    Free shipping you just cant beat that price.

Damn, I've been paying 2x what I should have been paying forever! I don't know how I missed them before.

I grabbed two cases, so I'll definitely have some popcorn to eat. I normally have people over every weekend and I think half only come for the popcorn.

1 year later
    #1530 3 years ago

Aren't things like the butter dispenser and the nacho cheese dispenser just a huge pain in the butt? I'd think they would have to be set up each time you'd want to use them and then be just a royal pain to clean?

#1536 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

They never clean them at the theater...[quoted image]

That cheese has to go bad after awhile. I'd probably only use it once a week at most.

I wonder how long it's good for in the bag?

2 years later
    #1711 5 months ago

Interesting.

I’ve tried it both ways and I like mine best when it’s added to oil that has just liquified. I add the oil and as soon as it’s liquid, I add the corn. I also dump mine early compared to when most people probably do.

We like it better that way.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Spyderturbo007.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one?tu=Spyderturbo007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.