(Topic ID: 74892)

Popcorn machine...... who has one

By JDubbbs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7965 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 01-25-43 Dune Part Two Stars React to AMC Theaters' Viral Sandworm Popcorn Bucket 'That's Not Okay' (re
    GEueuzBWEAAO143 (resized).jpg
    GEueu0AWwAEnoGO (resized).jpg
    IMG_0013 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240101_194505_Gallery (resized).jpg
    IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    bar jdubbs 2 (resized).jpg
    bar jdubbs 1 (resized).jpg
    20230223_091543 (resized).jpg
    20230222_155014 (resized).jpg
    20230220_154212 (resized).jpg
    20230220_180046 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9560874E-49C3-4C46-AA38-3DCB82C78C01 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MrBally.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 10 years ago

Coconut oil makes the best tasting popcorn, so I doubt it is the healthiest for you. That said , Canola oil can burn and ruin the stainless steel of popcorn maker kettles. Gold Metal did a study of this years ago.

Also, always use genuine Flavacol. Accept no substitutes.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from JDubbbs:

Thanks for the suggestions guys.......
    I love the Juke Popper..... wish i had that instead
    I remember that i do have a relative working at Detroit Popcorn Company, i will drop him a line as he stocks Flavacol and the pre packed single servings for the kids to use as well as all of the flavors that kids would like.
    I will also forget about the butter warmer/dispenser...... that is if i can find an equal medium to keep me happy.
    http://store.detroitpopcorn.com/

Dubbs, if you can get a deal on a theater butter-o-matic, seriously get one. I can't justify the price otherwise I wohld have one.
    Bruce

#33 10 years ago

Have you priced a Gold Medal kettle lately? I wish there was one for $175.00

9 months later
    #47 9 years ago
    Quoted from psd4me:

I don't have one of these at home but it is the family business,although I don't work there anymore. Mike

popcorn.jpg 186 KB

IIRC, the "Popcorn factory" at Detroit's Tiger Stadium used those type of machines.

#57 9 years ago
    Quoted from psd4me:

there's alot of different shops that use them.Garretts popcorn In downtown Chicago uses them also and the old KarmelKorn franchise used them. My grandfather bought the business in 61 it was started in 1900 and had a 5 story building in Chicago at one time.

Yes, Garret's, I've seen them in some of the stores. The small shop on the east edge of Chicago's Merchandise Mart is a walk up. I'm not sure if they have those out of view or do the bring the popcorn over from one of the other, larger shops. Great stuff. Even though I have a Gold Medal popper at home, when I am driving back from Chicago I get a large bag of buttered for the drive. Thank goodness for waxed bags. sometimes there is a lava-like bed of butter & oil on the bottom of the bag. Perfect artery cement. Sooooo good. And good for you!

#60 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

You guys are making me want a popcorn machine really bad. We make popcorn at least twice a week, but I've been doing it on the stovetop all this time.
    I see a bunch of places selling the Paragon Cineplex 4oz for $300. Is that about right?
    Can you also recommend a place to get supplies and what to get? I like the idea of pre-portioned bags.

Try Charleston Concession Supply in Charleston or Cromer's in Columbia.

Lot's of places do mail order. I'm a fan of Detroit Popcorn Co as they own their own farm in Indiana. This corn is used in both their bulk bags and prepacks. You can also buy their coconut oil in bulk. Both colored yellow or white/clear.

#77 9 years ago

Gold Medal dealers say just wipe the kettle with a terry or mcrofiber towel after it cools. But only with coconut oil. Use Canola oil and you're on your own...

#88 9 years ago
    Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

Who knows the difference between all the different color boxes of flavacols? I bought the green box. Good but a little goes a long way.

Standard is a green & red carton, Better Buttery is a green & Yellow carton.
    IMAG5171.jpgIMAG5171.jpg

#110 9 years ago

I use medium size bags for visitors. For me, I use a giant tub that looks like the $10.00 bucket at movie theaters. Mine is plastic and reuseable. For youngsters who visit, I give them classic boxes when they leave as a treat. The boxes and cardboard tubs are quite pricey. Ok for popcorn sellers because of the margin they make. When we are watching movies at home, large bowls are used.

#116 9 years ago

The pre-packs already have Flavocol to pour into the oil. No need to add any. I have my cartons for the times I use bulk crn & coconut oil. My kids use the pre-packs for small amounts of popcorn, otherwise, they use bulk as well.

#132 9 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

So many different manufactures, Great Northern, Waring Pro, Carnival King, etc, what's the best one for home use as far as ease and clean ability? I want one for my soon to be completed game room so what do I get? Thanks!

Ibelieve the commercial ones are the most durable ones. They are designed to pass health department inspections so they are easy to clean and maintain.

2 months later
    #178 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

What I am saying is I like my popcorn with 'only' my German Butter on it and no oil.

1419721323140.jpg1419721323140.jpg
    1 week later
    #226 9 years ago
    Quoted from mattenno:

Any tips on how to clean the kettle afterwards?

The pros at Detroit Popcorn Company say to simply wipe the interior of the kettle with a terrycloth after it cools down. I beleieve microfiber is the same basic thing.

1 week later
    #245 9 years ago
    Quoted from DarkWizard:

Popcorn machine.... check

WP_000853.jpg 123 KB

Stern Pinball has lots of popcorn makers!

2 weeks later
    #293 9 years ago

Gold Medal equipment is worth every penny you pay.

#298 9 years ago

My Gold Medal popper was made in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA.

1 week later
    #320 9 years ago
    Quoted from bushz:

I know it's been asked but where you you buy the best popcorn packets?

Your local Gold Medal distributor. Mine is Detroit Popcorn Company. They also sell their own pre-packs as they have their own farm in Indiana.

2 weeks later
    #359 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I am about to try the pre-packaged kit from the Detroit Popcorn Co, just picked them up yesterday. I also got some coconut oil and Flavocol. Should I add Flavocol to the pre-packaged kit? My instinct says no........
    Don

No, the kits contain enough. Only add if you are selling beverages

2 months later
    #472 8 years ago
    Quoted from paratrooper:

WOW! That looks almost identical to a Gold Medal 4oz Fun Popper! Good job... Hope you enjoy!
    How much did you pay ?

Detroit Popcorn Co. is a Gold Medal distributor. That is a Gold Medal machine. They (Detroit Popcorn Co.) make their own popcorn pre-packs as they have their own corn farm in Indiana.

#490 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

Has anyone used this stuff? Coconut oil;
    amazon.com link »

Yes, it's the only oil to use. Do not use Canola oil in a good popper.

3 weeks later
    #523 8 years ago

Clean off the burn marks with steel wool and then thoroughly wash and wipe the kettle.

1 month later
    #603 8 years ago
    Quoted from jardine:

So who better than to ask but you guys. A mate just brought back some Flavacol powder for me. I don't have a popcorn machine only one of those air popcorn machines (the little ones).
    How is best way to use this, how much do I use as well. Cheers guys.

image.jpg

It is meant to be mixed with the hot oil & corn in a popcorn kettle. Not really meant to be used as salt by sprinkling on the popped corn. That said, you can attempt to sprinkle it on to your liking. However, since it is so "powder-like" and it tends to stick to itself, it will not sprinkle very well.

#623 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Whoa! That's like 4 billion dollars at a movie theater.

Even more dollars using Canadian currency. The GST and PST are oppressive.

#626 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

The government has gotten rid of GST and PST and change it to HST (Harmonized Sales Tax). Just wanted you to know. Still very impressive!
    8oz is perfect for me, my wife and two children under 6 on movie night. We eat the entire thing.

Funny that when I was in Windsor a few days ago and ate lunch with my son, I never looked at the receipt. I would have noticed the HST instead of the two other taxes.

#629 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Im half tempted to go to food lion and buy some plain kernals and coconut oil and tryi it out! 2014.jpg

If you go to Food Lion, make sure the sell by dates have not been tampered with nor was anything soaked in bleach

#635 8 years ago

Buy a machine that is made in America if at all possible.

#653 8 years ago

Here is my "Blue Line" (read: lower cost, made for Sam's Club version) Gold Medal popper that MsBally bought for me eleven years ago. It has made a lot of popcorn. Still no rust.

A bargain price is soon forgotten when poor product quality rears its head.....

IMAG8251.jpgIMAG8251.jpg

#687 8 years ago

Are the Great Northern pre-packs made in China?

#696 8 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Maybe it's because of our climate, but my oil is never hard to get out of the package. It's liquid and not "gel-like" at all.
    I like Great Northern & Gold Medal pre-packs. Both pop great in my opinion.
    Marcus

Coconut oil liquifies around 74℉

#699 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

Way too much salt.

With the exception of medical reasons; there is no such thing taste-wise when popcorn is involved.

#711 8 years ago

If you get near Detroit, stop at Detroit Popcorn Co. They have a Great Northern (not for sale) that they use to point out the differences to make informed decisions versus a Gold Medal popper. Granted, for home use, a lower priced import brand may be ok. But certainly not for events or concession use.

They also have kettles damaged by junk canola oil on display.

1 week later
    #719 8 years ago

Sad news everyone,

I just found out that OP of this thread has passed away.

He was a member of the VFW Pinball club and the two preceding clubs including Tilt Town.

I have no other details but just wanted everyone to know.

RIP Dubbbs

Bruce

2 months later
    #751 8 years ago

Gold Medal uses Stainless Steel in all parts of the interior compartment. That's why it costs what it does.

2 weeks later
    #797 8 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

Getting a new circuit into the same area is impossible so I'm not sure what I'm going to do... I really want to keep the machine in the kitchen area that's tiled.

Extension cords are your friend. Use wisely.

3 weeks later
    #814 8 years ago

Yes, we know it is.

2 weeks later
    #832 8 years ago

Well, not everyone. Detroit Popcorn Co. has their own corn farm in Indiana. They sell it in bulk as well as pre-packs. They also sell Gold Medal as they are the local distributor for all of their equipment.

The Costco's by me sell Jolly Time bulk popcorn.

#842 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Why?
    Isn't the basement (by default) hidden from the general forum post listings?
    I've found this thread to be SUPER informative and containing just about ZERO typical pinside drama....
    Banishing it to the basement seems the wrong move to me...

Another thing that is so wrong about pinside.

Jack was ahead of his time when he coined it "wrongside".

I'll remember this at "donation time".

1 month later
    #872 8 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

i recently learned that Gordon's Food Service (GFS) sells 8oz kits. $27.49/36 pkgs. Here in SW michigan. Can't comment on the quality, haven't tried. They also sell Flavacoll. I also found out our local movie chain uses Weavers popcorn. I haven't found where you can purchase it, but its really good quality, at least when they make it. I also had some left over the last time we went, had a refillable bucket, filled before we left. Cam home and dumped it in the machine. Heated it up a couple of times, but didn't eat any. Finally ate some almost 2 weeks later and it was still very good after letting it warm up.

I've bought the 8oz. kits from GFS in the past; They were "Pop Weaver's" brand. GFS has competitive pricing for brick & mortar store sales of popcorn supplies. Limited selection, but that's where all of the school & other fundraising organizations buy their popcorn, Super Pretzels, Bosco Sticks and all of the other J&J Snack Foods healthy choices.

1 week later
    #899 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I just use a wooden spoon.
    Coconut oil turns into a liquid on a hot day, so you can always pour it into a margarine tub.

IIRC, 75°F is the point where it liquifies. You can take the gallon jugs that it comes in from some vendors (Detroit Popcorn Co. for example) and warm up by placing in a large pot/kitchen sink with hot tap water to pour out into quart or pint jars.

#902 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Take the jug into the shower with you and watch your wife's reaction.....

OK, but just on Valentine's Day assuming she joins me.

1 month later
    #914 8 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

Does anyone have a recommendation on the oil, i know coconut, but any brands etc...

For you; Detroit Popcorn Co. brand is the best. They also have their own popcorn farm where their private label popcorn is grown.

Stop by their store on your next Detroit area visit (even open Saturdays until 2:00). If you don't get over this way, they will ship cheap to the West side of the state. If you're heading to the VFW Showcase or MPE, that's a perfect time to stop in.

4 weeks later
    #930 8 years ago

Your local Gold Medal distributor has the good ones. Or go to Gold Medal direct. I'd support a distributor. Best place to get fresh popping supplies. I use Detroit Popcorn Co.

2 weeks later
    #947 7 years ago

The old Tiger Stadium "Popcorn factory" was awesome. Complete with a conveyor system.

1 week later
    #972 7 years ago
    Quoted from sanctumwear:

I love this vid. just wish i had a slovak translator. RIP Dubbbs
    » YouTube video

Fire Sale: half-price popcorn.

#974 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It's so odd that there is a metal scoop in both of those popcorn machines, yet she does not just shovel out the burning corn onto the concrete pavers and let it burn out.

You can't fix stupid.......

7 months later
    #1026 7 years ago

Time for the 3rd type of Flavacol. This one has only one yellow dye type as opposed to the other Flavacols that have two color dyes.

20161221_163020 (resized).jpg20161221_163020 (resized).jpg

3 months later
    #1038 7 years ago
    Quoted from xsonics2k2:

Here is a reminder to deep clean your machine every once in a while. Up until this point I have always wiped down every visible part meticulously between batches. EXCEPT... I never once looked at the ceiling of the machine as it sits a bit lower than my vantage point and my bulb has been out for a while so I didn't have light shining up to reveal what was going on. I always 'assumed' the ceiling was fine and low maintenance, but wow, the ceiling was disgusting.
    I did a deep clean on my Great Northern machine today. After 1.5 hours of scrubbing the heck out of the top and everywhere else, I noticed rust over 25% of the metal up there. I am now on the hunt for a non-rusting machine.
    I also need to get a new light and will scour this forum for a recommendation on which light bulb to get. I couldn't find the part in the manual.
    Sorry if this post made you queasy, but make sure to look up at your ceiling of your machine.

Gold Medal are the best. Commercial. No rust. A health dept. inspector would shut down the Chinese toy machines when the rust is discovered.

1 week later
    #1052 7 years ago
    Quoted from Olddragon:

I haven't been keeping up with this thread in awhile, but to those wondering if Gold Medal is a quality popper: YES!
    Gold Medal makes commercial-grade equipment. I have had my 8 oz. popper for 5 years and it still looks brand new. I definitely paid more for it than most of the ones you can buy on Amazon but the build quality is second-to-none. The interior is all stainless. No rust!
    I pop around 100 batches a year and the batches are very consistent. I use bulk popcorn, coconut oil, and a couple versions of Flavacol.

And you bought local. Well done.....

#1054 7 years ago
    Quoted from Olddragon:

Yep! I used to drive by their headquarters almost daily for several years. Gotta support the local companies! Excuse me while I head to Kroger and buy some Tide and Gorilla Glue...

Maybe a jet engine at the GE factory closeout store too.....

2 weeks later
    #1059 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Is the inside top stainless? I heard it is not and eventually rusts out, then it is toast. I just want to know what brand to watch for and which ones to avoid. Someone earlier said to avoid the ones sold at Sams Club. Gold Metal is sold at Sams Club. ???

Sam's Club has sold a particular Gold Medal popper in the past. Not sure if they still do.

They are commercial products well worth the price.

#1062 6 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Had to disassemble my Cretors Nite Club popper.
    Kettle was not heating at all, not sure how this ring terminal wire broke off but should be an easy enough to fix.
    I assumed the need for 'high temperature' terminals and they were only available in packs of 50 on Amazon. Checked a few local places and didn't find any. I did try to reuse the old terminal but no amount of prying, dremeling, or drilling helped. That factory crimp was designed to be permanent

That wasn't a crimp, it's an ultrasonic weld.

#1064 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Looks like the kettle lifts out the same way as any other popper.
    Remember, you don't really **clean** the kettle. You just wipe out the crud once in a while with a dry paper towel. If you actually clean it, you have to re-season it, and the first few batches will taste like crap.
    The Amazon reviews all said the roof rusted, so plan on it.
    The LED lights would be fun next to a LOTR pin where somebody clownpuked the whole playfield red or green.

Detroit Popcorn Company (Detroit area Gold Medal distributor) recommends using a terrycloth or microfiber towel to wipe out the kettle and to reuse the towel.

#1077 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

So is 4 oz model 2404SC all stainless including the roof and other interior metal components? It only mentions that the kettle is stainless. I notice that it is made in China.
    By the blue top, do you mean the 6 oz model 2085CLC for a few hundred more (including cart)? Same question - stainless roof interior and metal components? I notice that this one says made in the USA
    I'm just trying to figure this all out.

Mine (Blue version) was purchased almost twelve years ago from Sam's. It was made in the USA. Stainless steel, aluminum and glass in the food compartment.

Look at the pick I posted in this thread as well as another photo of Blue ones posted by someone else.

#1079 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Thanks for the reply. I understand the "you get what you pay for" and that's the entire reason why I keep asking questions. If I read between the lines correctly, it sounds like the blue version is a "good" and the smaller red "funpop" version is an "avoid" ... correct ??? Or is the red funpop version all stainless and aluminum too?
    Also, looking at the pricing on Sam's club ... the blue with cart separate is $785. Together as a package it is $808. Anyone know why? Usually the grouped package is cheaper. Just trying to understand. I might buy a popper for my wife for her birthday next month and I'm trying to do my due diligence research. She loves popcorn and once said she would like one of these.

Since you're close to the Detroit area, go to Detroit Popcorn Company (in Redford on Telegraph Road- even open for awhile on Saturdays) and buy a Gold Medal popper from them. Trust me. Plus all kinds of popping supplies. They will cut you a good package deal.

1 month later
    #1134 6 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

I was glad to see this thread get a BUMP as it made me think of John and what he had brought to the hobby. He was a good guy that I always enjoyed talking pinball with. It is hard to believe it will be 2 years ago next month that he passed away:
    http://www.voranfuneralhome.com/obituary/John-R.-White-Jr./Allen-Park-MI/1532153
    He started this thread, that was the connection since it might not be clear to others. RIP John.
    Brad

For those that don't get to the VFW Pinball events, this hangs above the bar:

20161125_213429 (resized).jpg20161125_213429 (resized).jpg

3 months later
    #1188 6 years ago
    Quoted from brmorr:

I bought a coin operated Popcorn machine recently. It is air popped, but you can get spray butter and those seasonings and its good popcorn.
    I use the snappy brand popcorn and its excellent popcorn.

Pics please....

#1192 6 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Any one know if there are any brick/mortar retailers that sell Flavacol?

Yes. Detroit Popcorn Co and Gordon Food Service do around here. Have you tried Badger Popcorn Supply co?

1 year later
    #1242 5 years ago

If it was canola oil (versus coconut oil), it could be totalled.

#1244 5 years ago

Good news then. Most Gold Medal commercial dealers have a few canola oil ruined kettles on display. The $7.00 gallon jug of canola oil at Sam's Club or Gordon food service seems like a bargain compared to a $20-25 gallon of coconut oil until you ruin a $300-800 Gold Medal kettle.

#1256 5 years ago

The old guys at the Detroit Popcorn Co. (now in Redford but formerly on Greenfield in the D.) the Gold Medal distributor for this territory say: Just wipe out the kettle with a Terry cloth after it has cooled down.
    That's the predecessor to microfiber for you youngsters.....

1 month later
    #1266 5 years ago

Getting ready for the NYE party......

20181227_151518 (resized).jpg20181227_151518 (resized).jpg
    #1268 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

How much were those in #50 cans?
    It seems weird to have a brand called Butcher Boy and then brag it's "woman owned".
    Why not call it Butcher Broad ?

$99.99 street price. $79 food service price. Still more than on-line but no shipping costs if you pick up at Detroit Popcorn Co.

3 weeks later
    #1282 5 years ago

I'm celebrating National Popcorn Day today. Who's with me?

#1308 5 years ago

Detroit Popcorn Co. (Local Gold Medal distributor) says you clean the glass with food-grade glass cleaner or dish soap & water soaked cloth and then a water soaked cloth. The wipe the kettle after it has cooled somewhat with a Terry cloth or micro fiber towel.

#1310 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

They had something similiar at PHOF, very cool!

The two at PHoF do not drop a cup. They have the small paper bag dispenser slot that you manually take a bag from and hold it below the flap on the popcorn dispensing chute. Usually resulting in a few pieces on the floor. There is a waste catch chute on those models though.....

20181012_112342 (resized).jpg20181012_112342 (resized).jpg
    #1335 5 years ago
    Quoted from AAAV8R:

If anyone was interested in buying one of the Gold Medal poppers, Sam's Club has them going on sale starting January 30th. $100 off is quite a generous discount.
    I was finally going to pull the trigger on one of the Gold Medal poppers, but after seeing Vid's endorsement of the Lincoln Popper, I'm not so sure. The Gold Medal appears to be of superior quality. But, is the quality worth that much more in price?
    [quoted image]

I love the "Limit 2" line. If you try to buy three, do they tell you to go to hell? Kinda like the car dealers in 1980 when they would give you a "free" Chevette or Pinto with the purchase of a Blazer or Bronco SUV. "Limit one per customer". Yeah, offer to buy five and they would kiss you or more.....

#1363 5 years ago

Best quality & durability is a Gold Medal brand for $400.00 or higher new. Operate the switches on one and compare it to the $100.00 ones. No comparison.

3 weeks later
    #1433 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

1 gal containers are way easier to store and carry around for my staff. Plus a smaller amount open at a time.
    If the price is good, it might be very nice.
    5 gal LouAna butter flavored is $46 for 5 gal or 38lb bucket. Thats pretty cheap and LouAna is a great brand.
    With shipping and corn and flavicol I think I can hit around 40-45 cents a batch maybe?
    I hear it can be as low as 5-10 cents a batch if you go to the right places.
    I think shipping is the most expensive thing, I wish someone in my area had bulk concession supplys.
    Maybe Sacramento...

SF Party is the closest Gold Medal distributor to you. They're in San Francisco. That said, Fun City Foods/Fun City Popcorn in Las Vegas sends a truck to Reno to make deliveries. See if they will deliver a prepaid order to you,

1 month later
    #1472 5 years ago
    Quoted from ACcookDC:

Anybody know where to get a stainless steel ceiling? Great Northern doesn’t sell them. I contacted them. Custom made at sheet metal shop?

Yes. Find a good Tin Knocker in your area.....

1 year later
    #1556 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Most popcorn flavorings taste like a chemical spill.
    I got sent these in a care package, and they are indeed excellent.
    https://www.urbanaccents.com/product-category/gourmet-popcorn/
    Popped the corn in a cast iron pan, dusted while still hot. [quoted image]

My favorite popcorn flavoring.....

546896545jh (resized).jpg546896545jh (resized).jpg
    5 months later
    #1578 2 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

I always smile when I see this thread pop back up. I might have to make some popcorn in remembrance of the OP and my friend JDubbbs.

Hard to believe it's been almost six years since we lost him.

Way too young at 48.....

1 year later
    #1662 1 year ago
    Quoted from sullivcd40:

Is the consensus best manufacturer Great Northern? If so, which model? I am looking around for a machine for our movie room.

Gold Medal is the best. But you pay for it. Many like Great Northern as they offer the best value.

1 week later
    #1665 1 year ago
    Quoted from sullivcd40:

I'm in the club! Is there a best place to buy supplies from? [quoted image]

20230220_154212 (resized).jpg20230220_154212 (resized).jpg
    8 months later
    #1702 5 months ago
    Quoted from Dezman:

Looking for some advice on a new machine. Just got an 8 OZ popper from Great Northern. Actually the same one as the post above.
    Do the first few batches come nasty? On the first time heating the was some sort of smoke or steam coming from the kettle that had a nasty metallic stink. Maybe residuals from manufacturing process need to burn off. Seems unhealthy.
    Anyways looking for advice. How many batches should I run through before 'breaking in' the machine. I know the kettle has a bit of a cast iron effect that needs to develop. Is this something to be concerned about.

Sounds like there is oil on the kettle lining to prevent rust during storage. I'd clean it with food grade soapy water (Dish soap), rinse, dry, and the use.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MrBally.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one?tu=MrBally and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.