(Topic ID: 74892)

Popcorn machine...... who has one

By JDubbbs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7965 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 01-25-43 Dune Part Two Stars React to AMC Theaters' Viral Sandworm Popcorn Bucket 'That's Not Okay' (re
    GEueuzBWEAAO143 (resized).jpg
    GEueu0AWwAEnoGO (resized).jpg
    IMG_0013 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240101_194505_Gallery (resized).jpg
    IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    bar jdubbs 2 (resized).jpg
    bar jdubbs 1 (resized).jpg
    20230223_091543 (resized).jpg
    20230222_155014 (resized).jpg
    20230220_154212 (resized).jpg
    20230220_180046 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9560874E-49C3-4C46-AA38-3DCB82C78C01 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Insane.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#594 8 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Anyone know the difference between the different Great Northern models? I see there is a Commercial, Foundation, Paducah, Lincoln, etc. I checked their website for a comparison chart and couldn't find one. To be honestly, their website page for the popcorn machines is blank.

i asked them the same question, and now i cant find the email, but basically they said the number of doors, some have 1, others 2. and the general styling.

4 weeks later
    #706 8 years ago

Just ordered mine from Costco, with a 40 pack of corn. Hope i picked a good machine, i was torn between this and finding a used Gold Medal on craigslist. fingers crossed...

#708 8 years ago
    Quoted from BigB:

That is what I've been told as well. Also works for ground coffee and small disposable batteries like AA, AAA, 9volt. etc...

and film, if anyone still uses film cameras...

#710 8 years ago

Just got the update, my machine will be delivered Monday, the box of corn, also shipped, but the tracking hasn't updated yet.

#712 8 years ago

I'm getting excited, my corn is supposed to be delivered today...got the machine yesterday.

1 week later
    #722 8 years ago

RIP Dubbs. Thoughts to the family...

1 week later
    #735 8 years ago

I've made 3 batches in mine now, the first one I heated up the kettle for say 2 mins and then added the oil and let it heat for 5 mins, then added the corn/salt. it came out good, lots of smoke. The next 2 I turned on the kettle and added the oil within say 30 seconds, let it heat for 5 mins then added the corn/salt. Also came out good. no real smoke. I think the smoke was probably because it was the first time the kettle was heated. I also had lots of unpopped corn flying out of the kettle with the popped corn, I just got Wolf's widget so i'll try that tonight to see if it helps. Thanks Wolfmarsh..

2 months later
    #762 8 years ago

I had the opportunity yesterday to ask my local movie theater with the best popcorn, what they use.
    A blend of vegetable and coconut oil, flavorcol and Weaver's popcorn.

1 month later
    #820 8 years ago

I'm still very happy with my Great Northern. I know its not as "robust" a machine as the Gold Medal. I think my only real "complaint" is that the kettle seems a little bit shallow. I get most of my old maids when they get thrown out by the popping corn. Its an 8oz. And if i get a small amount of rust on a couple of screws or even the top, it wouldn't be that hard for me to replace. I agree, it shouldn't happen, they should make sure the parts are better, for what it would cost them in parts.

#825 8 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

That's the one a lot of us have. Not perfect but a great price for a good machine.

I have the same one, bought last time they were on sale at Costco. Just posting for anyone else looking.

2 months later
    #871 8 years ago

i recently learned that Gordon's Food Service (GFS) sells 8oz kits. $27.49/36 pkgs. Here in SW michigan. Can't comment on the quality, haven't tried. They also sell Flavacoll. I also found out our local movie chain uses Weavers popcorn. I haven't found where you can purchase it, but its really good quality, at least when they make it. I also had some left over the last time we went, had a refillable bucket, filled before we left. Cam home and dumped it in the machine. Heated it up a couple of times, but didn't eat any. Finally ate some almost 2 weeks later and it was still very good after letting it warm up.

#873 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I've bought the 8oz. kits from GFS in the past; They were "Pop Weaver's" brand. GFS has competitive pricing for brick & mortar store sales of popcorn supplies. Limited selection, but that's where all of the school & other fundraising organizations buy their popcorn, Super Pretzels, Bosco Sticks and all of the other J&J Snack Foods healthy choices.

I don't think what they had when I was there was Pop Weaver brand. I buy a number of things there throughout the year. I just hadn't ever seen, or maybe noticed the popcorn kits before.

#876 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The GFCs I've seen have Vogel popcorn kits in 24 packs.
    They taste good, but you can make the same thing for 1/20 of the price by buying your own Flavorcal, Coconut Oil and Kernels.

That's the brand I saw. The only issue I've had is that the popcorn I've made (great northern 8oz packs) Seems tougher than the popcorn I get from the theater. I usually heat up the kettle for a min or 2, then add the oil and salt and let that get good and hot, then add the corn. is it just the quality of the corn, or the machine, or the way I'm making it. I also let is sit in the machine for 30 mins or so before I start eating it.

1 month later
    #913 8 years ago

Does anyone have a recommendation on the oil, i know coconut, but any brands etc...

4 weeks later
    #926 7 years ago

I have a similar Great Northern. the only thing I wish was the kettle was a little deeper, I think you'd get less unpopped. I seem to get a lot thrown out when the popped shoots out.

#928 7 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

As do I. This and I wish it had a bigger interior without a bigger exterior (impossible I know).
    Since I was making and eating the 8oz kits by myself (with the intent of eating some and dumping the rest) I went ahead and ordered some 4oz kits so I eat less. Almost no unpopped kernels. Wondered about "saving" the unpopped ones and adding them to later batches or making an unpopped kernel batch. Thoughts?

It is kind of hard especially with the scoop it comes with, to get some corn and try to get it in the bucket or bag, without dumping some on the floor.

1 week later
    #935 7 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

The light bulb in the popper (Great Northern) is it a special bulb? Mine went out.

i wouldn't think so, mine just looks like a spotlight bulb. But wait until someone more knowledgeable than me to chime in.

#950 7 years ago

Mine is a single door, which I leave closed, but there is a good size space at the top of the door to allow steam to escape.

#966 7 years ago

dumb question,i am using the great northern pre packs currently. Why is my popcorn mostly white, and not yellow like at the gas station, k-mart, the theater. etc... Is it the flavorcal in the packs?

#968 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

2 things.
    The popping oil AND the Flavacol both have yellow color to them.
    That is why you buy "red" coconut oil, and not the white kind. The red color is beta carotene that they add to the oil (you get your daily dose of anti-oxidants while you snack) .
    Same thing with the popcorn oil that stays liquid at room temperature. It is a blend of coconut oil, corn oil, butter flavor and beta carotene.

thanks vid. appreciate your help as always...

1 week later
    #975 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It's so odd that there is a metal scoop in both of those popcorn machines, yet she does not just shovel out the burning corn onto the concrete pavers and let it burn out.

Thats the "removed from the event" thinking and the panic mode thinking.(or lack there of). I think we have all been in a situation where we did something , or didn't due to the "panic" of the situation. And later thought well why the hell didn't i just do X.

1 month later
    #981 7 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

Stolen from one of my favorite deal sites...
    Great Northern Popcorn 8 oz. Portion Packs Unpopped Popcorn 40 - Count - $36.99 @ Costco
    http://www.costco.com/Great-North...35600.html
    Online Price$42.99
    Less-$6.00
    Your Price $36.99
    Price Per OUNCE: $0.087
    Shipping & Handling Included *
    Valid 5/30/16 through 6/19/16. While supplies last.

I bought those last year, they're pretty good.

2 months later
    #992 7 years ago

I have that same machine in black, bought it last year from Costco, good machine...

3 months later
    #1030 7 years ago

you might also try letting it sit in the machine for about 30 mins before eating, mine is the same way sometimes. Just leave the light and deck warmer on and try it about a half hour later.

#1033 7 years ago

if you are eating popcorn a lot, just make the 8oz, and leave what you don't eat the first day in the machine, then next time, turn on the warmer for a half hour or so and eat the rest, it is still great as long as its not really humid. almost as good as the first day. i have been known to have corn in the machine for a week

2 months later
    #1040 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsonics2k2:

Here is a reminder to deep clean your machine every once in a while. Up until this point I have always wiped down every visible part meticulously between batches. EXCEPT... I never once looked at the ceiling of the machine as it sits a bit lower than my vantage point and my bulb has been out for a while so I didn't have light shining up to reveal what was going on. I always 'assumed' the ceiling was fine and low maintenance, but wow, the ceiling was disgusting.
    I did a deep clean on my Great Northern machine today. After 1.5 hours of scrubbing the heck out of the top and everywhere else, I noticed rust over 25% of the metal up there. I am now on the hunt for a non-rusting machine.
    I also need to get a new light and will scour this forum for a recommendation on which light bulb to get. I couldn't find the part in the manual.
    Sorry if this post made you queasy, but make sure to look up at your ceiling of your machine.

There are some comments earlier in the thread about replacing the top with a piece of stainless. Wouldn't be that hard.

#1050 6 years ago
    Quoted from damageinc55:

For those on the fence, I fully agree with Vid on this one. For most, the GN will work nicely. It fits nicely behind the bar, and I MAYBE pop 10-15 batches per year (when we have company/party). It looks great and 100% of people who come over can't tell the difference.

I agree as well. Is it as nice as a Gold Medal or Cretors, no. But for the price they work great. if you take care of them, and maybe replace the top piece with s/s. they are hard to beat. Then if you use it a lot, you can start to watch for a better unit. I love mine, and use it frequently.

2 months later
    #1120 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If you want an inexpensive one, that is super easy to service, then get the Lincoln Popper 8oz.
    That's the black one you see in every neighborhood bar.
    The latest batch now has a Stainless Steel roof panel, so no more rusty panel.
    It goes on sale all the time on Amazon for $119, but is normally around $160 .
    Three 8oz batches will usually be enough for 6 or so people who come to play pinball.
    -
    Then go to the local concession supply house and get this exactly :
    1 gallon of Red Coconut Oil $22
    #50 XLG Golden Popcorn Kernels $20
    35oz Flavacol Popcorn Seasoning $4
    Unless you make popcorn every single night, this will last you all year.

Vid, what's the best way to keep the 50lb of corn from going stale? When I bought my machine I bought a case of the prepack stuff. The popcorn seems tough. So I want to get some better corn, I just don't want it to go stale.

#1135 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Get one of those 5 gallon buckets with the O-ring in the lid at Menards.
    They are made of food grade plastic, and if you can store paint in them, you know they are air-tight.
    Keep a tupperware of kernels so you don't have to mess with the heavy bucket every time.

Tough popcorn "can" be from stale kernels, but more often than not, it's because the corn is made wrong.
    Heat the oil up FIRST, then add the kernels. Never add the oil and kernels at the same time.
    Do NOT slow-roast your kernels by bringing the oil and kernels up to temp at the same time!

Sealed in your O-ring bucket, the kernels are better sealed than the Kraft bag they come in.
    If you kernels last a year, and then the last few cups go stale, just throw them out to the birds. I'm not kidding. $20 for 50 lbs.
    You would pay $4 for a pound of tiny kernels at the grocery store.

I do heat my oil first, and I have been using Great Northern prepacks, I got a good price on a case when I bought my machine. The other think I do find is if I leave the deck warmer on too long without stirring the corn, it will burn in one spot. not sure if the heater bar is too close to the deck in that spot or what. I appreciate all the great advice.

5 months later
    #1199 6 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Bumping this for the organic/special Pinsiders that may be aware of sprouted options. My wife and I (me for my Lupas BS), both eat regarding food response testing (which had been a huge leap in my health/pain since following without any meds) and have picked up some sprouted popcorn.
    Before I waste my time, has anyone tried this in their poppers? If so, it will be a huge advantage to enjoying something we both can’t have otherwise so hoping it’s been used. Otherwise, I’ll be giving an honest assessment. We use Thrive for a few items we can’t get from our local Whole Foods (Kimberton) and the wife/fat neighbor said she’d like to try it. We and our family have called the popcorn from these machines “crack” as it’s really good and we both miss it.

Don't see why it wouldn't work. it's still popcorn...

1 month later
    #1227 6 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Finally had a chance to test. Tastes the same to me but will be curious to have others try. For reference, I took the measurements of the 8 oz GN kits I used and substituted the following:
    - 1 1/4 cup of organic sprouted popcorn (From Thrive Market 1 lb. size package)
    - 1 1/2 teaspoonfuls of Better Buttery Flavacol
    - 1 3/4 tablespoonfuls of coconut oil (Snappy Pure Coconut Oil but can use any quality coconut oil or ghee)
    I wanted to try some ghee but wanted to only change things one batch at a time. It seems to be the same taste (changing only the popcorn itself) but I honestly haven’t made much since I’ve tested negative (Nutrition response testing as this has had a huge impact on my Lupas pain/lack of) for corn. It’s also awesome to enjoy popcorn again!
    Hoping this helps anyone that can’t have corn (but can have sprouted), etc.
    NOTE: baggie is the original GN popcorn.

where did you get the small container of coconut oil?

1 year later
    #1431 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

I'm shopping for bulk popcorn supplies there doesnt seem to be a concession distro near me.
    What oil should I get in 5 gal buckets?
    Webstaurant.com has white corn at good price for 50lb bags of corn.
    There's a lot to choose from.
    Yellow oil?
    Butter flavored lou-ana pail?
    White coconut oil?
    The kit packs are nice but kinda spendy since I give it away for free.
    I'm making about 5 cups a day.
    Shipping looks like it's pretty high too.

I don't think you need to buy oil in 5 gal. I would get the coconut oil from amazon or others in 1 gal container.

1 month later
    #1463 4 years ago

Amazon deal of the day.
    https://www.amazon.com/s
    Not sure how good of a price, just sharing what I found.
    Also
    https://www.amazon.com/s/browse/ref=gbps_tit_s-5_5baf_71b51221

2 years later
    #1569 2 years ago

I know by me, Gordons Food Service carries bulk stuff. Haven't tried it.

2 weeks later
    #1579 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaki:

gfs packets are the worst. i've bought different brands for 15 years on my machine. gfs are just plain bad. most of their food is garbage, popcorn not an exception. i think it's called "vogel"

I've not had any of their popcorn. I have had some of their other food and been happy with it, great price if you want fried type appetizers. much cheaper than buying in the grocery store. i also really like their tavern cheese spread. but taste is individual. thanks for the info on the popcorn. i will avoid.

7 months later
    #1586 2 years ago
    Quoted from TenaciousT:

I feel bad for the dog - he thinks it makes dog food !

My dogs think popcorn is dog food. If i even walk over by the machine, they come running.

#1592 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

She knows that popcorn is a T R E A T

Oh trust me, they get some popcorn...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Insane.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one?tu=Insane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.