(Topic ID: 74892)

Popcorn machine...... who has one

By JDubbbs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7965 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 01-25-43 Dune Part Two Stars React to AMC Theaters' Viral Sandworm Popcorn Bucket 'That's Not Okay' (re
    GEueuzBWEAAO143 (resized).jpg
    GEueu0AWwAEnoGO (resized).jpg
    IMG_0013 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240101_194505_Gallery (resized).jpg
    IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    bar jdubbs 2 (resized).jpg
    bar jdubbs 1 (resized).jpg
    20230223_091543 (resized).jpg
    20230222_155014 (resized).jpg
    20230220_154212 (resized).jpg
    20230220_180046 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9560874E-49C3-4C46-AA38-3DCB82C78C01 (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 36.
    #1501 4 years ago

Just got a machine myself.

20191117_200008 (resized).jpg20191117_200008 (resized).jpg
    #1502 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ramjet:

Will I see any benefit going from a Stir Crazy popper to one of the machines ($150 to $200 price range) that are 860 watts?
    Thanks

Better popcorn and the ability to cook mushroom popcorn.

I'm pretty much addicted to reist non GMOs organic.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/reist-popcorn-50-lb-hi-pop-mushroom-popcorn-kernels/380HIPOPMUSH.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=CjwKCAiA_MPuBRB5EiwAHTTvMaIGq-2SL4RCw-NcOiJX1j0GKdXIfiF1PxzX2IlClzDtKL7ilYrj_BoCBZkQAvD_BwE

4 months later
    #1503 4 years ago

Whats the best oil for commercial popping? Can someone in the know post a link please.

#1504 4 years ago

I say experiment. Probably coconut oil. Try hometheatherexpress.com. you may want to try naks pack or megapop packets

#1505 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinplayerinva:

Whats the best oil for commercial popping? Can someone in the know post a link please.

I recommend...
    Coconut Popcorn Popping Oil (Single Gallon) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J82XU1M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_fu5FEb3ZBS5MX

#1506 4 years ago
    Quoted from evh347:

I recommend...
    Coconut Popcorn Popping Oil (Single Gallon) amazon.com link »

Thanks man! Granddaughter has been bugging me to get the Popperette going and hated to clog it up with standard oil. Ordering now. Does this coconut oil stay fairly liquid do you know? Some I’ve used in the past turn solid under a certain temp. Thanks again.

CF7308AA-1E5C-4C32-953F-F88164BBB1BF (resized).jpegCF7308AA-1E5C-4C32-953F-F88164BBB1BF (resized).jpeg
    #1507 4 years ago

perfect that was one of the 2 i was looking at thanks

Quoted from evh347:

I recommend...
    Coconut Popcorn Popping Oil (Single Gallon) amazon.com link »

#1508 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Thanks man! Granddaughter has been bugging me to get the Popperette going and hated to clog it up with standard oil. Ordering now. Does this coconut oil stay fairly liquid do you know? Some I’ve used in the past turn solid under a certain temp. Thanks again.[quoted image]

That stuff is solid at room temp. It melts to liquid form at temps above room temp.

I have used flavacol, kernels, and that oil to make my popcorn in my Northern Popcorn maker just fine and I like it...but then I got lazy and started buying these pre-measured packets...they’re awesome:
    4108 Great Northern Popcorn Premium 8 Ounce Popcorn Portion Packs, Case of 40 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009YGQ9CO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_lK5FEb3SY7852

2D477BFB-A784-4D73-A858-64C3B94D1C9A (resized).jpeg2D477BFB-A784-4D73-A858-64C3B94D1C9A (resized).jpeg
    #1509 4 years ago
    Quoted from evh347:

That stuff is solid at room temp. It melts to liquid form at temps above room temp.
    I have used flavacol, kernels, and that oil to make my popcorn in my Northern Popcorn maker just fine and I like it...but then I got lazy and started buying these pre-measured packets...they’re awesome:
    4108 Great Northern Popcorn Premium 8 Ounce Popcorn Portion Packs, Case of 40 amazon.com link »[quoted image]

Ahh thanks. Yeah, as the Popperette pumps the oil up after use it turns solid in the non heated lines sometimes. May need to do a 60 watt bulb in that area to keep the temp up a bit. Thanks though still going to try.

#1510 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Thanks man! Granddaughter has been bugging me to get the Popperette going and hated to clog it up with standard oil. Ordering now. Does this coconut oil stay fairly liquid do you know

I use Costco's Coconut oil.

#1511 4 years ago
    Quoted from brmorr:

Selling my Popcorn Express popcorn machine. Don’t use it as much as I thought. Looking for $800, let me know if interested![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Did you ever sell this? Do you have a manual for it?

#1512 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Thanks man! Granddaughter has been bugging me to get the Popperette going and hated to clog it up with standard oil. Ordering now. Does this coconut oil stay fairly liquid do you know? Some I’ve used in the past turn solid under a certain temp. Thanks again.[quoted image]

That Popperette is so bad ass!

I agree with the others that the real-deal oil is coconut and it does get solid at room temp. You might be able to use a light bulb as you suggested. Another option is the Snappy Butter Burst that doesn't need heat to stay liquid. You might want to try it as some butter flavored oils don't taste good or can reek havoc on your insides.

https://www.amazon.com/Snappy-Popcorn-Butter-Burst-gallon/dp/B00AXK9ROC

#1513 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lamprey:

That Popperette is so bad ass!
    I agree with the others that the real-deal oil is coconut and it does get solid at room temp. You might be able to use a light bulb as you suggested. Another option is the Snappy Butter Burst that doesn't need heat to stay liquid. You might want to try it as some butter flavored oils don't taste good or can reek havoc on your insides.
    amazon.com link »

I think we may have a jug of that? I like the coconut oil as it has a much higher burn temp so it is less likely to burn up the heating elements. May end up with one of those small heat bulbs used for reptiles. Don’t need much heat just enough to keep it liquid state.

#1514 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

I think we may have a jug of that? I like the coconut oil as it has a much higher burn temp so it is less likely to burn up the heating elements. May end up with one of those small heat bulbs used for reptiles. Don’t need much heat just enough to keep it liquid state.

There is a tank heater for the popperette.

It keeps the coconut oil from getting solid.

Problem is that it takes 30 mins to warm up, once warm it stays liquid until you unplug the machine.

#1515 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

There is a tank heater for the popperette.
    It keeps the coconut oil from getting solid.
    Problem is that it takes 30 mins to warm up, once warm it stays liquid until you unplug the machine.

Yeah I considered that but for home use that might be a bit overkill. My guess is the bulb would heat that line and area of the tank in a few minutes. Thanks though.

1 month later
    #1516 3 years ago

It’s quiet in here. The wife and I have been making popcorn about three times a week since all this Covid stuff started up.

#1517 3 years ago
    Quoted from tjprice222:

It’s quiet in here. The wife and I have been making popcorn about three times a week since all this Covid stuff started up.

Ha! You and me both!

#1518 3 years ago

We have also been making a lot of popcorn. I had to order a refill on popcorn and oil!

7 months later
    #1521 3 years ago

I have one of those vendors. It needs to be restored, Im thinking of selling it.

It doesnt make popcorn but does keep it fresh and warm with a light bulb for days.

#1522 3 years ago

Here's my popcorn machine and other concession stand items.

16096204015964978736141993056034 (resized).jpg16096204015964978736141993056034 (resized).jpg
    #1523 3 years ago
    Quoted from silverball2018:

[quoted image]

Nice setup!

All thats needed now is a 7-11 chili pump for the hot dogs lol!

#1524 3 years ago

[quoted image]

A nacho cheese dispenser for the win. Nice.

#1525 3 years ago

[quoted image]

How do you like the popcorn machine? I have that same machine in my Amazon wish list

#1526 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

How do you like the popcorn machine? I have that same machine in my Amazon wish list

I have 3 of the great northern machines.

I really like them, especially since I pulled out the grub screw and added a bolt to close the lids that stay open. I posted some pics of this.

This was my only modification, they have been rock solid and get tons of traffic.

#1527 3 years ago

I definitely like the way it pops the kernels great machine

#1528 3 years ago

[quoted image]

Love the butter dispenser. Want one of those some day.

#1529 3 years ago

Couldn't have the popcorn machine without the butter dispenser

#1530 3 years ago

Aren't things like the butter dispenser and the nacho cheese dispenser just a huge pain in the butt? I'd think they would have to be set up each time you'd want to use them and then be just a royal pain to clean?

#1531 3 years ago

Na there not to bad to clean

#1532 3 years ago

I had one of those Nacho Cheese machines, they are great! Only problem was trying to get through the whole bag of cheese in a reasonable amount of time. That's a lot of cheese!!

#1533 3 years ago

That's forsure I wish the bags be smaller

#1534 3 years ago

sigh...thinking back to the good o'l days when JDubbbs was still around...

#1535 3 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Aren't things like the butter dispenser and the nacho cheese dispenser just a huge pain in the butt? I'd think they would have to be set up each time you'd want to use them and then be just a royal pain to clean?

They never clean them at the theater...

4500_detail (resized).jpg4500_detail (resized).jpg
    #1536 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

They never clean them at the theater...[quoted image]

That cheese has to go bad after awhile. I'd probably only use it once a week at most.

I wonder how long it's good for in the bag?

#1537 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

They never clean them at the theater...[quoted image]

The theaters near me have been closed since like March or April. Whenever they finally reopen, I wonder if they'll spring for a new bag of cheese or use the old one until it runs out.

#1538 3 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

That cheese has to go bad after awhile. I'd probably only use it once a week at most.
    I wonder how long it's good for in the bag?

It usually it says that the cheese is good for 4 days at 138°f

There is a use by date on the bag.

#1539 3 years ago

I think you all should be putting the word “cheese” in parentheses when talking about whatever marvel of modern chemistry is lurking in that bag.

#1540 3 years ago
    Quoted from AAAV8R:

I think you all should be putting the word “cheese” in parentheses when talking about whatever marvel of modern chemistry is lurking in that bag.

^^^^^ This made me laugh out loud.
    I have a hand pump style cheese dispenser. Easy to clean and a 7 pound can of cheese is 8 bucks. Easy cheap way to feed a lot of people. It gets used all the time- I am always lending it out.

#1542 3 years ago

Well, after seeing all of these popcorn machines I decided to add one. I added a Paragon 8 oz. I decided on the Paragon because of the made in the USA. I want one that I feel will be able to hand down to my daughter when I'm gone. I haven't popped it yet but hopefully tomorrow.

IMG_0492 (resized).jpgIMG_0492 (resized).jpg
    #1543 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jstampa:

Well, after seeing all of these popcorn machines I decided to add one. I added a Paragon 8 oz. I decided on the Paragon because of the made in the USA. I want one that I feel will be able to hand down to my daughter when I'm gone. I haven't popped it yet but hopefully tomorrow.
    [quoted image]

Its gonna be AWESOME!
    My recipe:

1 cup of popcorn kernals
    1/4 to 1/3 cup of butter flavored or yellow coconut oil.

1 slightly rounded teaspoon of flavicol

Or an 8oz pre-pak of great northern ready to pop packets.

#1544 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

I SO want one of these. I saw one a few months back on CL in Cali, but I missed out. I am hoping my patience pays off with a project one to rebuild and customize.

#1545 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jstampa:

[quoted image]

That's a really solid machine. Congrats!

#1546 3 years ago

So I've finally got a few nights of popping in and we love the machine. My 4yo just loves watching it pop as I do also.

I've ordered the Great Northern 4oz kits. They really taste great. I found them expensive when I compared the price with Gold Medal. I can get 36 Gold Medal for $20. It just happens they have a Tampa facility. Has anyone tried this. I'll go pick up a box tomorrow. I am really only interested in kits for now. My only thing is the Great Northern was too salty for my daughter so I just left out some of the salt. I like it though but shouldn't eat it. Does anyone have any recommendations for other kits (looking for only kits at this point) that taste good and perhaps a little less salty. Any other kit recommendations would be appreciated. I saw another one on amazon but someone commented it was very salty. The Great Northern is about the max salt level I would want.

For those debating between the 4oz machine and the 8oz machine I'll say this. The Paragon i got is VERY well made. I'm very happy with the overall machine. I compared the size of the 4 and 8 and they were almost identical so if you can spring for an 8 it's better. I can use 4oz, 6oz, and 8oz in my machine depending on how many people want to eat. I like having the option. Yes, its pretty quick to make extra batched but it's just a convenience factor for me. I'll end up getting a case of each size.

I'm curious though. The kettle is pretty big. Has anyone tried using a 12oz kit in an 8oz machine. I wonder if it would come out okay. I think it would because it would just keep popping and sending it out the top as it fills up.

#1547 3 years ago

I had some gold medal fun pop 4oz packs that had the perfect amount of salt in my opinion. Many people though would say it's not enough salt. But if you're looking for less salt, try those. The only problem is that the salt is mixed in with the corn, so it's difficult to change the amount of salt.

I also have some country harvest packs which have WAY too much salt. But the salt is in a separate compartment so I just dump out half of it before I pour everything into the popper.

I actually prefer the country harvest packs but the gold medal ones are still very good.

#1548 3 years ago

Oh and just to add, I don't have a popcorn machine. So all of the results I mentioned above were with a whirley pop. I doubt that would change anything though.

#1549 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jstampa:

So I've finally got a few nights of popping in and we love the machine. My 4yo just loves watching it pop as I do also.
    I've ordered the Great Northern 4oz kits. They really taste great. I found them expensive when I compared the price with Gold Medal. I can get 36 Gold Medal for $20. It just happens they have a Tampa facility. Has anyone tried this. I'll go pick up a box tomorrow. I am really only interested in kits for now. My only thing is the Great Northern was too salty for my daughter so I just left out some of the salt. I like it though but shouldn't eat it. Does anyone have any recommendations for other kits (looking for only kits at this point) that taste good and perhaps a little less salty. Any other kit recommendations would be appreciated. I saw another one on amazon but someone commented it was very salty. The Great Northern is about the max salt level I would want.
    For those debating between the 4oz machine and the 8oz machine I'll say this. The Paragon i got is VERY well made. I'm very happy with the overall machine. I compared the size of the 4 and 8 and they were almost identical so if you can spring for an 8 it's better. I can use 4oz, 6oz, and 8oz in my machine depending on how many people want to eat. I like having the option. Yes, its pretty quick to make extra batched but it's just a convenience factor for me. I'll end up getting a case of each size.
    I'm curious though. The kettle is pretty big. Has anyone tried using a 12oz kit in an 8oz machine. I wonder if it would come out okay. I think it would because it would just keep popping and sending it out the top as it fills up.

detroit popcorn has kits with less salt. MrBally turned me onto these (thanks, look forward to seeing you again!). Really good popcorn!

You cant put 12oz in an 8oz kettle, it burns and throws out tons of un popped kernals.

Use yellow coconut oil (solid) and flavicol (amazon) and buy the kernals in bulk!

One of the coolest features of having a machine, is you can use mushroom popcorn!

If you like it, its a game changer.

Since I make a lot of glaze-pop carmel for Pinballgoddess Its pretty much all I make.

#1550 3 years ago

I actually saw Orville Redenbacher kits on amazon and figured I'd give that a try as well. I ordered the 8 oz pack for 36 kits for $36. Basically $1 a kit. It was pretty good but very little salt. I almost couldn't really taste salt. I saw something mixed in with the kernels but I wasn't salty. Kinda thought it would be very salty. I'll have to try another pack tonight. It didn't seem to me to give double the 4oz kits did. I was surprised by that since it's supposed to be double the amount. I felt it just popped slightly more than the 4oz kit. I'll retry tonight and see.

I see people posting videos here. I've tried to figure it out and just can't. I'm not very tech smart though.

There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one/page/31?hl=lamprey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.