(Topic ID: 74892)

Popcorn machine...... who has one

By JDubbbs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7965 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 01-25-43 Dune Part Two Stars React to AMC Theaters' Viral Sandworm Popcorn Bucket 'That's Not Okay' (re
    GEueuzBWEAAO143 (resized).jpg
    GEueu0AWwAEnoGO (resized).jpg
    IMG_0013 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240101_194505_Gallery (resized).jpg
    IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    bar jdubbs 2 (resized).jpg
    bar jdubbs 1 (resized).jpg
    20230223_091543 (resized).jpg
    20230222_155014 (resized).jpg
    20230220_154212 (resized).jpg
    20230220_180046 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9560874E-49C3-4C46-AA38-3DCB82C78C01 (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 36.
    #1351 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Every month it's a bunch of dumb "dollars off" coupons that are still too much after discount.
    Can oil and batteries possibly have a MAP price?
    Give me the bottom line, or I know it's a scam.[quoted image]

I think you kind of shot yourself in the foot on that one.

The Ring 2 doorbell can't be found online for less than $179, so $149 at Costco is a pretty good deal.

#1352 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I think you kind of shot yourself in the foot on that one.
    The Ring 2 doorbell can't be found online for less than $179, so $149 at Costco is a pretty good deal.

It's a half-ass deal, last week's Rakuten sale email had Ring2 for $131 in nickel finish, and again, no sales tax.

The only thing in the whole SC store that I know is a deal is the Atari Flashback 9 @$9.99 right now

#1353 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The only thing in the whole SC store that I know is a deal is the Atari Flashback 9 @$9.99 right now

Wait, what? That is a great deal. I don't have a SC card though.

#1354 5 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Wait, what? That is a great deal. I don't have a SC card though.

Buy a card, then ask for a refund 11 months latter at the service desk. They give you a full refund.

Don't forget to get a refund before the card expires.

https://help.samsclub.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2563/~/how-do-i-cancel%2Frefund-my-membership

You don't have to feel guilty about it. They should feel guilty for making you pay money to shop at a store that charges too much for almost everything.

Wait about 6 months and buy another card. The associate will ask "Did you cancel your membership with us before?" Just answer no. It's not like they are going to refuse to sell you another card. rinse-lather-repeat

The flashbacks are in the back where all the clearance stuff is piled up. They had like 50 of them.

#1355 5 years ago

If anyone is wanting a Sam's club card you can get one basically for free right now at www.ScanAndGoForIt.com . It's a promo they are running through February. I signed up through it about a week ago

#1356 5 years ago

I shop at Costco for the booze. $18 for a 1.75 of blended scotch is just fine with me.

#1357 5 years ago

I tried cooking with coconut oil a few times and it left a coconut taste. You dont get that taste when cooking popcorn?

#1358 5 years ago
    Quoted from yellowghost:

I tried cooking with coconut oil a few times and it left a coconut taste. You don't get that taste when cooking popcorn?

Almost every movie theater uses coconut oil. Does movie theater popcorn taste like coconuts to you?

#1359 5 years ago
    Quoted from yellowghost:

I tried cooking with coconut oil a few times and it left a coconut taste. You dont get that taste when cooking popcorn?

You can put a whole spoonful of refined coconut oil in you mouth.

It does not taste like coconuts.

#1360 5 years ago
    Quoted from yellowghost:

My guess is that you somehow got some "virgin" coconut oil.

You can't pop corn with it, because it scorches at 350*, but it does smell like suntan lotion.

NutivaCoconutOilDifferenceFB_1 (resized).jpgNutivaCoconutOilDifferenceFB_1 (resized).jpg
    #1361 5 years ago

rather than going through 28 pages of comments it would be great if someone could just tell me whats the best popcorn machine for your money....dont really have a budget, but want something thats nice, easy to use, and will last a long time....my kids love popcorn so I'm in the market....

#1362 5 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

rather than going through 28 pages of comments it would be great if someone could just tell me whats the best popcorn machine for your money....dont really have a budget, but want something thats nice, easy to use, and will last a long time....

Hard to tell someone else how to spend their money.....They all pop the same, they all clean up the same, they all taste the same. USA ones are more money and generally have thicker gauge steel.

You also need to decide if you need a modern black one, a red carnival style, or an all stainless cinema style.

The warranty gives you a pretty good idea of how long something is going to last; 6 months all the way up to Lifetime can be found.

8oz is the smallest you should probably buy, it pops one large bucket of popcorn.

-

Cheapest durable machine like you seen in small pubs is the Lincoln ($119 when on sale $179 normally) 5 yr warranty.

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Northern-Popcorn-Lincoln-Antique/dp/B000QWCAB4

-
    Cheapest 8oz machine when not on sale, probably the Carnival King ($127) 6 month warranty

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/carnival-king-pm850-8-oz-popcorn-machine-popper-120v-850w/382PM850.html

or the 8oz Great Northern ($134) 5 year warranty

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Northern-Popcorn-Matinee-Movie/dp/B002Z9GDYG/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_79_bs_t_1

-

Gold Medal 8oz is popular, but now made in China ($450) 2 year warranty

https://www.katom.com/231-2408120240.html

-
    Benchmark USA 8oz ($520) 3 yr warranty

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/benchmark-usa-11080-street-vendor-8-oz-red-popcorn-machine-120v-1430w/36211080.html

-

16oz Paramount machine (usually the one they rent for parties from the rent-all place) makes 2 large buckets at a time ($229) Lifetime warranty

https://www.amazon.com/Paramount-16oz-Popcorn-Maker-Machine/dp/B07HKPDV35/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1

#1363 5 years ago

Best quality & durability is a Gold Medal brand for $400.00 or higher new. Operate the switches on one and compare it to the $100.00 ones. No comparison.

#1364 5 years ago

Thanks guys....very helpful

#1365 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

My guess is that you somehow got some "virgin" coconut oil.
    You can't pop corn with it, because it scorches at 350*, but it does smell like suntan lotion.[quoted image]

Well I have been popping my kettle corn with it. Hell I like the Coconut taste when making the kettle corn. I didn’t know I was using the wrong kind. I bought Kirkland brand organic virgin coconut oil from Costco.

#1366 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

16oz Paramount machine (usually the one they rent for parties from the rent-all place) makes 2 large buckets at a time ($229) Lifetime warranty

https://www.amazon.com/Paramount-16oz-Popcorn-Maker-Machine/dp/B07HKPDV35/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1

There is currently one of these units for sale on Chicago craigslist. They claim it is brand new, just discounted because it is an open box. $170 for the machine, or $240 with the cart ...

chicago.craigslist.org link

#1367 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

There is currently one of these units for sale on Chicago craigslist. They claim it is brand new, just discounted because it is an open box. $170 for the machine, or $240 with the cart ...
    chicago.craigslist.org link

I wonder if it's a concession business, so you could still get the warranty?

The good thing about these is that most rent-all places rent them .

You could rent one for $25 and try before you buy.

#1368 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Well I have been popping my kettle corn with it. Hell I like the Coconut taste when making the kettle corn. I didn’t know I was using the wrong kind. I bought Kirkland brand organic virgin coconut oil from Costco.

I could totally see coconut kettle corn.....

#1369 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I could totally see coconut kettle corn.....

It’s awesome

#1370 5 years ago

I always buy #50 popcorn bags, but I had 2 of these that an associate got me for Xmas.

Super lightweight pop, good color - I'm actually impressed.

If this came in 50 lb bags, I'd buy it for myself.

81zh-2KKjsL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg81zh-2KKjsL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    #1371 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I always buy #50 popcorn bags...[quoted image]

Speaking of which, I'm looking to purchase a 50 lb. bag. What would you good folks recommend? I have been looking at both Paragon and Great Northern (someone gave me some GN 8 oz packs, which we like a great deal).

Any thoughts?

#1372 5 years ago
    Quoted from Scotty_K:

Speaking of which, I'm looking to purchase a 50 lb. bag. What would you good folks recommend?

Popcorn is sold to the vendor by weight, but sold to the public by volume.

So get the largest kernel you can.

Only buy from a vendor that turns over TONS of corn a week. Old popcorn does not pop very big, and is often chewy.

Also, don't get "mushroom" unless you are making Kettle or Carmel corn.

Find your local "concession supply" store, and get a 50lb bag for $22.

Don't worry too much about a brand name, the store will tell you what "the" big seller is.

Store it in a 5 gal sealed pail, and fill a tupperware from that.

#1373 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Only buy from a vendor that turns over TONS of corn a week. Old popcorn does not pop very big, and is often chewy.
    Don't worry too much about a brand name, the store will tell you what "the" big seller is.

Great! This helps a great deal. Thanks so much!

#1376 5 years ago

The last time was Reist Popcorn Hi Pop Large Butterfly Kernels.

when I want Mushroom kernels, I go to JustPoppin.

#1377 5 years ago

Well, just pulled the trigger on the Gold Medal 6 oz. popper. $369 at Sam’s Club.

I was tempted by the cheaper units, but I have always been about quality and durability and I couldn’t overcome that bias.

I also bought the popcorn kit packs, as I would be “gravely concerned” about what my wife or kids would be putting in the kettle while I was away.

#1378 5 years ago

Where are people using these machines in the house? I know there can be a lot of steam, smoke, oil etc from these machines, is this ever an issue? I assume not everyone is putting these under a vent hood or anything like that.

This is one of the concerns which have been holding me back from buying one.

#1379 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fizz:

Where are people using these machines in the house? I know there can be a lot of steam, smoke, oil etc from these machines, is this ever an issue? I assume not everyone is putting these under a vent hood or anything like that.
    This is one of the concerns which have been holding me back from buying one.

Due to my limited space in my current home, I have my popcorn maker right in my arcade room. I make a couple batches of popcorn a week and the oil does get on everything. I try to put a fan near the machine to help try and blow the fumes out of the room. But, that only does so much. It's not a huge issue, I just wipe down my arcade machines and pinball machines every month or so.

If you are in a position to have a nice vent, then that'd be ideal. But, not necessary per se.

#1380 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fizz:

The little 8oz machines put out steam like your coffee machine does, so it's not a big deal.

The big units have power venting, and probably should be vented outside.

For instance, I have a little 8oz on a shelf in my kitchen.

I have a monster commercial unit out in my polebarn that I use for parties; it produces way too much steam to run in the house.

#1381 5 years ago

Thanks both of you for that info. Sounds like it's not too big of a deal, but I'll want to keep it away from my pins. I'm thinking dining room... If I can sell that to the wife.

#1382 5 years ago

#1383 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fizz:

Sounds like it's not too big of a deal, but I'll want to keep it away from my pins.

It wont hurt your pins.

Wait till you see everyone put their buttery fingers all over the flipper buttons, just like at the arcade (that does not hurt the pins either).

#1384 5 years ago

Ok - so in the popcorn test video - Why did they not test the popcorn in the popcorn machine ?

#1385 5 years ago

Love this thread, I am a popcorn enthusiast from the whirly pop, to a paragon 8oz antique cart and popper, I have had some pretty crappy popcorn poppers over the years and learned the difference. Also purchased a kettle few years back. No we aren’t doing events, just pop for friends and charity.

We buy 1000lbs of corn at a time....I see all these people saying buy this corn or that corn.....whatever folks. Nebraska is where corn is grown....we have no other claim to fame....that’s it corn, best popcorn in the world. See that! 20,000 bushel bin of popcorn....We literally eat popcorn everyday. I serve it to customers at the office and we make it at home. Weekends we demolish 2 cups of white corn.

Btw my youngest son also loves popcorn corn, he is pictured! He also can solder hella circuit boards, anyone that has bought from us has seen his work.

728AF507-D0CC-4387-BD8D-59569F910B15 (resized).jpeg728AF507-D0CC-4387-BD8D-59569F910B15 (resized).jpegB0BC8E6A-D2CF-490A-AFF7-FEBA39A49B87 (resized).jpegB0BC8E6A-D2CF-490A-AFF7-FEBA39A49B87 (resized).jpegB387C89C-5D34-4982-BB2A-5EC69B71180F (resized).jpegB387C89C-5D34-4982-BB2A-5EC69B71180F (resized).jpegFC19B665-2891-43A9-A315-DE04855A3C88 (resized).jpegFC19B665-2891-43A9-A315-DE04855A3C88 (resized).jpegFFC5B3B9-EBE8-4143-B89D-B6CA5A00FA53 (resized).jpegFFC5B3B9-EBE8-4143-B89D-B6CA5A00FA53 (resized).jpeg

#1386 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Best advice, seal it in a 5 gallon pail.

As far as popcorn types, I love a tender white popcorn, made in olive oil light salt. This is healthy and incredible. We do yellow corn with coconut oil and butter for theatre style, unhealthy as hell but love it.

Popcorn types vary, snowflake or butterfly popcorn is well known for its use in theater-style and home-popped popcorn products, usually offered-up with nothing more than a little salt and perhaps some melted butter. Its relatively delicate shape means butterfly popcorn is best consumed fresh-popped for maximum crunch and freshness. It has fragile butterfly wings if you will....

Mushroom popcorn is perfect for confection-coated applications such as Caramel Corn. Its sturdy baseball shape (without those fragile butterfly wings) withstands the processes of candy-coating, and because of its exceptional surface area, accepts other flavors (like cheddar cheese!) very well too. The resulting products are less prone to crushing, and once coated, will tend to stay fresh and crispy much longer than their uncoated butterfly popcorn counterparts.

Also the expansion ratio is much higher on mushroom, so coated get a fuller bag for less $

D0E0CFDC-B482-4257-906C-8ED850BAC297 (resized).jpegD0E0CFDC-B482-4257-906C-8ED850BAC297 (resized).jpeg
    #1387 5 years ago

How does that compare in small batches? I considered getting one for my parents.

#1388 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

How does that compare in small batches? I considered getting one for my parents.

Frankly we use the whirly popper more than any other popper. Makes 1/2 cup, usually make double batch for more than two people. The thing gets washed once a week because we use it almost every day. These are perfect for older people, they probably used to have one as a kid!
    https://www.amazon.com/Wabash-Valley-Farms-Stovetop-Popcorn/dp/B00004SU35/ref=sr_1_1

#1389 5 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Frankly we use the whirly popper more than any other popper. Makes 1/2 cup, usually make double batch for more than two people. The thing gets washed once a week because we use it almost every day. These are perfect for older people, they probably used to have one as a kid!
    amazon.com link »

I've said it before - the Whirly Pop is awesome, doesn't take up much room, makes amazing popcorn, and is cheap. I personally don't see the need for a dedicated machine that will always take up space, unless you want it for decor.

#1390 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

I've said it before - the Whirly Pop is awesome, doesn't take up much room, makes amazing popcorn, and is cheap. I personally don't see the need for a dedicated machine that will always take up space, unless you want it for decor.

The Whirly Pop is great. I used to use one all the time back in the day, and it makes some great tasting popcorn. That being said, it can't match the convenience of a machine with an electric stirrer, a heated warming deck, and an old maid drawer. Like you said, though, you have to have the space for it. If space is at a premium and all you want is some delicious popcorn, then the Whirly Pop is your best option.

#1391 5 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Best advice, seal it in a 5 gallon pail.
    As far as popcorn types, I love a tender white popcorn, made in olive oil light salt. This is healthy and incredible. We do yellow corn with coconut oil and butter for theatre style, unhealthy as hell but love it.
    Popcorn types vary, snowflake or butterfly popcorn is well known for its use in theater-style and home-popped popcorn products, usually offered-up with nothing more than a little salt and perhaps some melted butter. Its relatively delicate shape means butterfly popcorn is best consumed fresh-popped for maximum crunch and freshness. It has fragile butterfly wings if you will....
    Mushroom popcorn is perfect for confection-coated applications such as Caramel Corn. Its sturdy baseball shape (without those fragile butterfly wings) withstands the processes of candy-coating, and because of its exceptional surface area, accepts other flavors (like cheddar cheese!) very well too. The resulting products are less prone to crushing, and once coated, will tend to stay fresh and crispy much longer than their uncoated butterfly popcorn counterparts.
    Also the expansion ratio is much higher on mushroom, so coated get a fuller bag for less $[quoted image]

Thanks for the crash course in popcorning (new word I just made up). I have an 8 oz kettle and normally buy a case at a time of the packets which include the popcorn and coconut oil already measured out. This works out best for me.

I have been ordering from Snappy Popcorn online for the past 8 years, but I just found a Gold Medal shop on my way to the airport so I will give them a try next time I need to re-stock which will save on shipping. I like to make popcorn anytime we have guests over and it is always a big hit. I didn't even realize that there are different types of popcorn (mushroom vs. butterfly) with regards to the actual shape of the popped kernel.

Do you have a good recipe for making carmel corn or kettle corn? I have always wanted to make a batch, but wasn't sure of the recipe or the technique.

Gord

#1392 5 years ago
    Quoted from GRB1959:

Thanks for the crash course in popcorning (new word I just made up). I have an 8 oz kettle and normally buy a case at a time of the packets which include the popcorn and coconut oil already measured out. This works out best for me.
    I have been ordering from Snappy Popcorn online for the past 8 years, but I just found a Gold Medal shop on my way to the airport so I will give them a try next time I need to re-stock which will save on shipping. I like to make popcorn anytime we have guests over and it is always a big hit. I didn't even realize that there are different types of popcorn (mushroom vs. butterfly) with regards to the actual shape of the popped kernel.
    Do you have a good recipe for making carmel corn or kettle corn? I have always wanted to make a batch, but wasn't sure of the recipe or the technique.
    Gord

Check out weaselfest recipe reposted below from his post number 199 on this thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one/page/4#post-2149294

For you folks willing to go to the effort, here is my proven caramel corn recipe. I make 4-5 batches of this every Christmas. This is the only time I use air popped corn. Don't know if there is any truth to it, but I feel the absence of oil on the corn helps the caramel penetrate the kernel better. You will want a heavy pan to cook the caramel in, one with taller sides, as the baking soda will make the syrup foam up, almost doubling in volume.
    2 cups dark brown sugar
    1/2 cup white corn syrup
    2 sticks margarine or butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    pinch cream of tarter
    8 quarts popped corn (approx 2 cups unpopped) and oven safe pan to hold all with room to stir. I use an 18" wok or the turkey roaster.
    In a large heavy saucepan/ dutch oven over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar and corn syrup, mix well. Bring these first three ingredients to a boil, maintain for 5 minutes to bring caramel to the soft ball stage. ( Test a few drops in ice water) Add the salt, baking soda and cream of tarter and fold in to incorporate. Pour caramel mixture over popcorn, toss to coat. Bake in 250 degree (F) oven for 1 hour, stirring at 15 minute intervals. Lay out 2- 24" pieces of waxed paper to pour hot caramel corn on to cool. Break apart large clumps before caramel hardens. Store in airtight container on the outside chance there is any left to store. If you cook the caramel properly, this stuff will melt in your mouth.

#1393 5 years ago

I use a 5 gallon bucket to store my popcorn as well. I'd recommend using the screw top type of lid that they sell at the big orange box store. It seals air tight.

#1394 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Check out weaselfest recipe reposted below from his post number 199 on this thread.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one/page/4#post-2149294
    For you folks willing to go to the effort, here is my proven caramel corn recipe. I make 4-5 batches of this every Christmas. This is the only time I use air popped corn. Don't know if there is any truth to it, but I feel the absence of oil on the corn helps the caramel penetrate the kernel better. You will want a heavy pan to cook the caramel in, one with taller sides, as the baking soda will make the syrup foam up, almost doubling in volume.
    2 cups dark brown sugar
    1/2 cup white corn syrup
    2 sticks margarine or butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    pinch cream of tarter
    8 quarts popped corn (approx 2 cups unpopped) and oven safe pan to hold all with room to stir. I use an 18" wok or the turkey roaster.
    In a large heavy saucepan/ dutch oven over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar and corn syrup, mix well. Bring these first three ingredients to a boil, maintain for 5 minutes to bring caramel to the soft ball stage. ( Test a few drops in ice water) Add the salt, baking soda and cream of tarter and fold in to incorporate. Pour caramel mixture over popcorn, toss to coat. Bake in 250 degree (F) oven for 1 hour, stirring at 15 minute intervals. Lay out 2- 24" pieces of waxed paper to pour hot caramel corn on to cool. Break apart large clumps before caramel hardens. Store in airtight container on the outside chance there is any left to store. If you cook the caramel properly, this stuff will melt in your mouth.

Thank you for the detailed recipe. I will give it a try.

Gord

#1395 5 years ago

Just ordered a Whirly Pop. High expectations based on all the positive input.

#1396 5 years ago
    Quoted from GRB1959:

Gord

I use premeasured pouches in my 8oz as well, seems the easiest and most consistent. Our popcorn popper is in our game room where we have no stove, so the added space of the popper is welcomed.

I use the whirly for making any kind of popcorn at home, but primarily white corn (like Colby Ridge). It is again the most healthy. In the whirly you can make basic corn for caramel coating, sugar corn, and even attempt kettle corn.

Recipes

Caramel
    Pinballlew’s recipe is pretty much the same as mine, I don’t use cream of tarter. This one is labor intensive and batch size is very limited in a residential oven. Another option is to use gold medal glaze pop for quick easy caramel corn. Does not require baking. Plus they have other flavors, I like the cinnamon as well. No doubt the real recipe with butter etc is better......but sometimes I am not willing to spend 2 hours making it so it’s nice to have a quick version. https://shop.gmpopcorn.com/products/caramel-glaze-pop-2525

Kettle
    I will be flat out honest, it will turn out “ok”. If it was easy to make kettle corn at home I would not have bought my own kettle. Timing is everything, when to add sugar etc, and heat must be high. If you use 1/2 cup corn, then use 1/4 cup sugar. High heat, plenty of oil, and add sugar just before corn is about to pop, but not so late it doesn’t melt. This will not work in a popcorn machine unless it is specifically meant for kettle corn, so it’s whirly popper or a special machine.

Hope that helps!

#1397 5 years ago
    Quoted from Higloss67:

Just ordered a Whirly Pop. High expectations based on all the positive input.

I’m a believer. Whirley Pop rules! Zero old maids, crisp and delicious. Used a pre measured 6oz packet. Couldn’t be easier or more convenient.

#1398 5 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

I use premeasured pouches in my 8oz as well, seems the easiest and most consistent. Our popcorn popper is in our game room where we have no stove, so the added space of the popper is welcomed.
    I use the whirly for making any kind of popcorn at home, but primarily white corn (like Colby Ridge). It is again the most healthy. In the whirly you can make basic corn for caramel coating, sugar corn, and even attempt kettle corn.
    Recipes
    Caramel
    Pinballlew’s recipe is pretty much the same as mine, I don’t use cream of tarter. This one is labor intensive and batch size is very limited in a residential oven. Another option is to use gold medal glaze pop for quick easy caramel corn. Does not require baking. Plus they have other flavors, I like the cinnamon as well. No doubt the real recipe with butter etc is better......but sometimes I am not willing to spend 2 hours making it so it’s nice to have a quick version. https://shop.gmpopcorn.com/products/caramel-glaze-pop-2525
    Kettle
    I will be flat out honest, it will turn out “ok”. If it was easy to make kettle corn at home I would not have bought my own kettle. Timing is everything, when to add sugar etc, and heat must be high. If you use 1/2 cup corn, then use 1/4 cup sugar. High heat, plenty of oil, and add sugar just before corn is about to pop, but not so late it doesn’t melt. This will not work in a popcorn machine unless it is specifically meant for kettle corn, so it’s whirly popper or a special machine.
    Hope that helps!

Very nice and useful information. Thank you for that. My wife is a very experienced candy maker so I think that she will likely be in charge of the caramel corn creation once I make the popcorn.

Gord

#1399 5 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Recipes
    Caramel
    Kettle
    Hope that helps!

Try this for kettle corn in your whirly pop:

1/2 cup popcorn, 1/3rd cup coconut oil (you can use corn or soybean oil also), 1/4 cup sugar then add more again halfway full (so another 1/8th cup). Put it all in at once...(it won’t burn). I know sacrilege but try it. Like you said high heat with lid closed. So at the beginning stir it and a few times shake it to make sure sugar and oil combine. Then just stir away when it starts popping it goes extremely fast and will end popping quickly. Poor out ASAP. Sprinkle with popcorn salt. Enjoy!

*if you have kids or are one yourself like me you can also add 4-6 drops of food coloring too!

#1400 5 years ago

The gold medal caramel corn tasted like Cracker Jack popcorn to me when I used it. Pretty much a dead ringer if you ask me.

There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one/page/28?hl=yellowghost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.