(Topic ID: 74892)

Popcorn machine...... who has one

By JDubbbs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7965 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 01-25-43 Dune Part Two Stars React to AMC Theaters' Viral Sandworm Popcorn Bucket 'That's Not Okay' (re
    GEueuzBWEAAO143 (resized).jpg
    GEueu0AWwAEnoGO (resized).jpg
    IMG_0013 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240101_194505_Gallery (resized).jpg
    IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    bar jdubbs 2 (resized).jpg
    bar jdubbs 1 (resized).jpg
    20230223_091543 (resized).jpg
    20230222_155014 (resized).jpg
    20230220_154212 (resized).jpg
    20230220_180046 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9560874E-49C3-4C46-AA38-3DCB82C78C01 (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 36.
    #1301 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

The machine itself. Something like this for example:
    https://www.ht-express.com/Paragon-Theater-Pop-4oz-P19.aspx
    It says easy to clean kettle, so I'm assuming you have to clean the kettle? I just brought this topic up to my wife and she said these machines are time consuming to clean every time you use them.

Don't get a 4oz machine, that's probably too small for any grown man.

An 8oz is probably perfect for most homeowners, it makes one large popcorn bucket at a time.

(of course, you can make 4oz in an 8oz machine; but you probably never will)

This 8oz goes on sale for $119 all the time, you see it in every small pub:

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Northern-Popcorn-Lincoln-Antique/dp/B000QWCAB4

...and you don't have to clean it!

917Ale6YDHL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg917Ale6YDHL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg

They have fixed everyone's biggest complaint about the galvanized roof rusting - now it's made of stainless steel

2b1f9dd0-3a07-4a4a-bc86-f56437367f4b._CR0,0,2000,2000_PT0_SX220__ (resized).jpg2b1f9dd0-3a07-4a4a-bc86-f56437367f4b._CR0,0,2000,2000_PT0_SX220__ (resized).jpg

#1302 5 years ago

Got it! and a bit more...

gr5 (resized).jpggr5 (resized).jpg
    #1303 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

An 8oz is probably perfect for most homeowners, it makes one large popcorn bucket at a time.
    amazon.com link »
    [quoted image]
    They have fixed everyone's biggest complaint about the galvanized roof rusting - now it's made of stainless steel
    [quoted image]

Thanks for the recommendation!

#1304 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I've seen that in theaters, so it can't be terrible.
    It looks like coconut oil with the normal Carotene added so it pops yellow - but it looks like they added **butter** flavor to the oil itself.
    Let us know how it tastes!

Will do.

#1305 5 years ago
    Quoted from Monk:

Wow, just got through the entire thread (read most, but skimmed a bit). I've been looking into buying a machine for a while, and just pulled the trigger the other day. This is what I bought (Paramount 6oz):
    [quoted image]
    I understand this is not the top of the line, and that it may rust a bit, but has anyone tried this perticular model? If so how did it work?
    I purchased this machine and the prepackaged kits before reading this thread. As such, I think I made a mistake with the prepackaged kit as it says soybean oil. Is this no good and should I throw it away when it arrives? Here's a link to the kit:
    amazon.com link »
    When I realized my mistake I looked up my local concession stand supplier and found Butcher Boy Coconut oil with butter flavoring. It does not say pure coconut oil, but was wondering if it should be used. They do not have a product that says pure coconut oil. I'd hate to buy a gallon of the wrong stuff. Picture of the oil below:
    [quoted image]

Soybean oil is fine, I used to pop my kettle corn recipe using it. Coconut though is better IMO.

#1306 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

The machine itself. Something like this for example:
    https://www.ht-express.com/Paragon-Theater-Pop-4oz-P19.aspx
    or this:
    https://www.htmarket.com/allstred4ozp1.html
    It says easy to clean kettle, so I'm assuming you have to clean the kettle? I just brought this topic up to my wife and she said these machines are time consuming to clean every time you use them.

I agree with @vid1900. There is no need to clean it very often. I simply wipe the inside of my kettle with a dry paper towel once every 4-5 batches. That's it. Buy one. You will love it!

#1307 5 years ago

traded a player condition harlem globetrotters for this a few years ago . it has element at the bottom of funnel to heat the popcorn . just put a quarter in , it drops a cup , it fills with warm popcorn , then you lift the door and grab it . definitely the granddaughters favorite.

20160711_182937 (resized).jpg20160711_182937 (resized).jpg20160711_193442 (resized).jpg20160711_193442 (resized).jpg
    #1308 5 years ago

Detroit Popcorn Co. (Local Gold Medal distributor) says you clean the glass with food-grade glass cleaner or dish soap & water soaked cloth and then a water soaked cloth. The wipe the kettle after it has cooled somewhat with a Terry cloth or micro fiber towel.

#1309 5 years ago
    Quoted from steamfitter:

traded a player condition harlem globetrotters for this a few years ago . it has element at the bottom of funnel to heat the popcorn . just put a quarter in , it drops a cup , it fills with warm popcorn , then you lift the door and grab it . definitely the granddaughters favorite.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

They had something similiar at PHOF, very cool!

#1310 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

They had something similiar at PHOF, very cool!

The two at PHoF do not drop a cup. They have the small paper bag dispenser slot that you manually take a bag from and hold it below the flap on the popcorn dispensing chute. Usually resulting in a few pieces on the floor. There is a waste catch chute on those models though.....

20181012_112342 (resized).jpg20181012_112342 (resized).jpg
    #1311 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

(of course, you can make 4oz in an 8oz machine; but you probably never will)
    amazon.com link »
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

I guess I bought mine too soon, my roof is garbage. I've convinced myself it's not really touching the popcorn. I wonder if they sell the replacement.

#1312 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

I guess I bought mine too soon, my roof is garbage. I've convinced myself it's not really touching the popcorn. I wonder if they sell the replacement.

It will take a decade to rust all the way through.

I've serviced several at pubs, none have rusted out, just surface rust.

Look how old this one is, still running fine:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one/page/22#post-3738498

#1313 5 years ago

I wish I would have known that before I purchased mine. I have a Paragon 4oz that cost me about 325. I got that size because I had limited room to actually put it. That's not that big of a deal, it's only me and my daughter that really eat popcorn in the house. I usually make 3 batches at a time, and end up filling 2 gallon zip bags for later consumption. It would be nice to just do a single batch, though..

I did a lot of research on sites like AV forums, and they were all pretty damning of those cheaper models. Mine is very nice, but really pretty overbuilt. I like quality, but a lot of times the economy model can be a "purchase it for life" kind of item.

#1314 5 years ago

Now I need recommendation on oil. Can’t use coconut and no dairy or gluten. But still have a buttery flavor if possible, like what they have at the movies.

#1315 5 years ago

Found this in my files from my father-son trip to Germany in 2016.

#1316 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

Now I need recommendation on oil. Can’t use coconut and no dairy or gluten. But still have a buttery flavor if possible, like what they have at the movies.

Sorry I'm not that in tune with all those restrictions. But, can you use soybean oil?

If so, you might try something like Snappy Buttery Burst?
    https://www.amazon.com/Snappy-Popcorn-Butter-Burst-gallon/dp/B00AXK9ROC

#1317 5 years ago

I tried the butcher boy coconut oil with butter without flavacol for a base test. Color was great corn had good consistency, but it was a little bland. I had to put some salt on it.

Next batch I mixed 3/4 cup corn 4-5 TBLSPOONS of oil 1 teaspoon of better butter flavacol and it turned out great. I don’t have anything to compare this too, as it has been a very long time since I made popcorn this way, but it tasted great.

#1318 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

Hmmm... I thought I replied to this, but don't see it. I thought most movie theaters use coconut oil. You might want to check on check. Next time you're at the movies, ask them. If there is no line waiting to buy stuff, I'm sure they'll tell you. It's not like they're revealing a big trade secret.

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
    [email protected]

#1319 5 years ago
    Quoted from jtreehorn:

Does anyone have make white cheddar popcorn using your machine? If so any good recipes?

https://shop.justpoppin.com/White-Cheddar-Popcorn-Seasoning-Cheese-Powder-16oz_p_177.html

the best cheese I've ever used. Very nice people too.

#1320 5 years ago

Thanks for this! They have lots of other interesting seasonings also.

#1321 5 years ago

I liked the dill pickle, my kids not so much.

try their mushroom popcorn (type of popcorn kernel, not flavor!)

#1322 5 years ago

For joemagiera - I thought all pop corn now was popped somewhere else then brought to the theater in bags? So the people working the counter wouldn't have a clue !

#1323 5 years ago
    Quoted from TenaciousT:

For joemagiera - I thought all pop corn now was popped somewhere else then brought to the theater in bags? So the people working the counter wouldn't have a clue !

Not at our theater.

#1324 5 years ago
    Quoted from TenaciousT:

Many theaters just fill the machines with pre-popped popcorn because it's cheaper (and the kids are not burning themselves on the 500* kettle ).

For $18 a bucket, it BETTER be fresh popped!!!!!

#1325 5 years ago

Our theatre pops it too. $18 ouch. Glad it’s not that high here.

Quoted from DropTarget:

I liked the dill pickle, my kids not so much.
    try their mushroom popcorn (type of popcorn kernel, not flavor!)

I think I will, thanks again

#1326 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

I think I will, thanks again

yw

#1327 5 years ago

If anyone was interested in buying one of the Gold Medal poppers, Sam's Club has them going on sale starting January 30th. $100 off is quite a generous discount.

I was finally going to pull the trigger on one of the Gold Medal poppers, but after seeing Vid's endorsement of the Lincoln Popper, I'm not so sure. The Gold Medal appears to be of superior quality. But, is the quality worth that much more in price?

IMG_20190127_130801 (resized).jpgIMG_20190127_130801 (resized).jpg

#1328 5 years ago
    Quoted from AAAV8R:

If anyone was interested in buying one of the Gold Medal poppers, Sam's Club has them going on sale starting January 30th. $100 off is quite a generous discount.
    I was finally going to pull the trigger on one of the Gold Medal poppers, but after seeing Vid's endorsement of the Lincoln Popper, I'm not so sure. The Gold Medal appears to be of superior quality. But, is the quality worth that much more in price?
    [quoted image]

How much is it though?????

I hate when SC or Costco does not give you any pricing, just $xx off.

They send me coupons, and I just throw them in the trash, because it does not give me the bottom line.

#1329 5 years ago

If anyone on here has one of these:
    ebay.com link: POP CORN SEZ POPCORN MACHINE Old Vintage Coin Op Patina Movie Theater Bowling

I would be very interested in buying it or trading for it. Seller of this one will not ship it. Ive been looking for one for a while and would still like to find one.

#1330 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

How much is it though?

As long as they don’t “pull a fast one” and change the base price, cost after the $100 off would be around:

$242 for the 4oz.
    $369 for the 6oz.
    $472 for the 8oz.

#1331 5 years ago
    Quoted from AAAV8R:

But, is the quality worth that much more in price?

Glad you brought this up. I got the circular for Sams Club and was thinking the same thing. I'm a big proponent of "you get what you pay for" and I'd much rather pay extra for a quality machine, BUT if the quality or features don't justify the pricing premium, I'd just get the Lincoln Popper.

#1332 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

This 8oz goes on sale for $119 all the time

Just to be clear, does it go on sale on Amazon for that price, or do you have to search other sites to find it for that much?

Amazon currently listing it for $189

#1333 5 years ago
    Quoted from AAAV8R:

Just to be clear, does it go on sale on Amazon for that price, or do you have to search other sites to find it for that much?
    Amazon currently listing it for $189

Although other "woot" kind of sites have had it for $99, it's way more frequent to see it pop up on Amazon.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one/page/19#post-3113764

#1334 5 years ago
    Quoted from AAAV8R:

As long as they don’t “pull a fast one” and change the base price, cost after the $100 off would be around:
    $242 for the 4oz.
    $369 for the 6oz.
    $472 for the 8oz.

I'm a 'get what you pay for' kind of guy too, but you could buy 4 of those 8oz Lincolns for that price.

Or you could get two 16oz Paramounts, with lifetime warranty.

They sell for $229, not even on sale.
    81Govb1jPyL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg81Govb1jPyL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Paramount-16oz-Popcorn-Maker-Machine/dp/B07J6HDCM3/ref=sr_1_8

#1335 5 years ago
    Quoted from AAAV8R:

[quoted image]

I love the "Limit 2" line. If you try to buy three, do they tell you to go to hell? Kinda like the car dealers in 1980 when they would give you a "free" Chevette or Pinto with the purchase of a Blazer or Bronco SUV. "Limit one per customer". Yeah, offer to buy five and they would kiss you or more.....

#1336 5 years ago

i would get a Paragon. you get what you pay for. i've had mine 11 years. it' a 4oz. never broke. even the light bulb never went out. make sure you get one with a heater for the tray, "old maid removable" tray for seeds that drop, and light. that's why i would go with paragon. they are better built. i think 4 oz is plenty for any home. 8 or 6 oz is nice, but you can just make 2 batches in a few minutes in a 4 oz.

look on home theater express or the snappy popcorn web site

http://www.snappypopcorn.com/store/pc/Theater-Pop-4-oz-Popper-51p163.htm

#1337 5 years ago
    Quoted from AAAV8R:

The Gold Medal appears to be of superior quality. But, is the quality worth that much more in price?

Quoted from mbaumle:

I'm a big proponent of "you get what you pay for" and I'd much rather pay extra for a quality machine, BUT if the quality or features don't justify the pricing premium, I'd just get the Lincoln Popper.

It really depends how often you will use it. If you are only going to pop some corn a couple times a month, then an inexpensive popper is fine. If you are going to be using it 3-4 times a week, however, I'd probably go with a nicer one. I own an 8oz Great Northern unit. I love it, and it makes great tasting popcorn, but the quality of the machine sucks compared to a Gold Metal, Cretors, or even a Paragon. You do indeed get what you pay for, and in this case the extra money gets you a commercial grade machine vs. a home unit.

#1338 5 years ago
    Quoted from TenaciousT:

For the last 5 1/2 years I maintained /repaired the video games in the game rooms of 2 local Cinemark Theaters until last June when they sold their in house arcades.
    They pop so much popcorn the oil gets airborne and makes it's way into the arcade games. The cooling fans pulls the air into the cabinet and it collects on the cooling fans and makes a mess. Here is pictures from a Dead Heat driving game. The Time Crisis 4 was even worse. I had a puddle of oil on the floor under the cabinet.

DeadHeat 007 (resized).JPGDeadHeat 007 (resized).JPGDeadHeat 010 (resized).JPGDeadHeat 010 (resized).JPGDeadHeat 013 (resized).JPGDeadHeat 013 (resized).JPGDeadHeat 017 (resized).JPGDeadHeat 017 (resized).JPG
    #1339 5 years ago
    Quoted from SaminVA:

For the last 5 1/2 years I maintained /repaired the video games in the game rooms of 2 local Cinemark Theaters until last June when they sold their in house arcades.
    They pop so much popcorn the oil gets airborne and makes it's way into the arcade games. The cooling fans pulls the air into the cabinet and it collects on the cooling fans and makes a mess. Here is pictures from a Dead Heat driving game. The Time Crisis 4 was even worse. I had a puddle of oil on the floor under the cabinet.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thats insane!

How close was the popcorn machines to the arcade?

Do you think that the pop ventilation system was crossed and somehow dumping steam and oil into the arcade room?

What did the employee's lungs look like? "Doc, that dry cough; it totally disappeared when I started working at Cinemark!"

#1340 5 years ago

I just got an email from XXXXXXXXX asking about a 30oz popper that he is looking at on CL for $250.

I'll answer here so everyone can read my 2 cents:

Most 30oz+ poppers need 220v to function, so that's bumps you up into needing to install a 220v outlet (like a wall air condition needs).

It's not a high amperage outlet like a stove, but it still requires a special breaker, 220v socket and 10g wiring. Make sure your 220v socket matches the popper's plug, there are several styles.

If it was hardwired, it may not have a plug at all, and just unterminated wires encased in BX armor.

It's super useful to be able to make up to 4 large buckets of popcorn at a time, but make sure you know what you are in store for installation wise.

#1341 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I just got an email from XXXXXXXXX asking about a 30oz popper that he is looking at on CL for $250.
    I'll answer here so everyone can read my 2 cents:
    Most 30oz+ poppers need 220v to function, so that's bumps you up into needing to install a 220v outlet (like a wall air condition needs).
    It's not a high amperage outlet like a stove, but it still requires a special breaker, 220v socket and 10g wiring. Make sure your 220v socket matches the popper's plug, there are several styles.
    If it was hardwired, it may not have a plug at all, and just unterminated wires encased in BX armor.
    It's super useful to be able to make up to 4 large buckets of popcorn at a time, but make sure you know what you are in store for installation wise.

I guess he could recreate the Real Genius popcorn scene if he bought that.

#1342 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Thats insane!
    How close was the popcorn machines to the arcade?
    Do you think that the pop ventilation system was crossed and somehow dumping steam and oil into the arcade room?
    What did the employee's lungs look like? "Doc, that dry cough; it totally disappeared when I started working at Cinemark!"

Here's a picture, the arcade is on the left and the popcorn poppers are on the right side of a huge high ceiling lobby.

Cinemark Chesapeake Va (resized).JPGCinemark Chesapeake Va (resized).JPG

cinemark popcorn warmer (resized).JPGcinemark popcorn warmer (resized).JPGCinemark popcorn popper (resized).JPGCinemark popcorn popper (resized).JPG
    #1343 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

How much is it though?????
    I hate when SC or Costco does not give you any pricing, just $xx off.
    They send me coupons, and I just throw them in the trash, because it does not give me the bottom line.

@vid1900, you might want to rethink this. I get where you're coming from because I like to know what the final cost is as well. But many times they do this because some manufacturers have a MAP (minimum advertised price) that any vendors can advertise items for. Costco is really good at this.. they will give you a bottom line on many products in their flyers, but when their hands are tied due to MAP and they want to sell it below that, they list it with $xx off. It's rare that you'll beat these prices elsewhere if it’s a product you're interested in buying. I just wish we could get Stern and other pinball manufacturers to follow this model... by having a MAP instead of a minimum selling price (MSP?). I'd be all over a Game Exchange coupon flyer!!

#1344 5 years ago

I've been rolling with this one with good results.

https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-73310-Popper-Popcorn/dp/B00N8XFB00/ref=sr_1_2

It's ridiculously easy to clean compared to the traditional ones. This one has a removable kettle which is not attached to the electronics. I hated cleaning the other ones. The bowl is quite large and has a pretty big footprint.

#1345 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

you might want to rethink this. I get where you're coming from because I like to know what the final cost is as well.

I've never gone into a Costco or SC with one of those coupons and got the best price.

Not on harddrives, not on phones, not on routers - nothing.

It's ALWAYS cheaper somewhere else, and no sales tax to boot.

50lb bag of popcorn is $29 at Costco, or $22 at the local concession shop.

2 gallons of milk shrinkwrapped together is $4.19 at Costco, but the hormone-free gallons are $1.47 each at Aldi.

I can't imagine how much you would have to buy to break even on the $60 a year fee to shop there.

#1346 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I've never gone into a Costco or SC with one of those coupons and got the best price.
    Not on harddrives, not on phones, not on routers - nothing.
    It's ALWAYS cheaper somewhere else, and no sales tax to boot.
    50lb bag of popcorn is $29 at Costco, or $22 at the local concession shop.
    2 gallons of milk shrinkwrapped together is $4.19 at Costco, but the hormone-free gallons are $1.47 each at Aldi.
    I can't imagine how much you would have to buy to break even on the $60 a year fee to shop there.

Well, the items you mentioned obviously don't have MAP so that’s why I just said on certain items. In fact, in my area (Minnesota) I've never actually seen $xx off for any of the small items that you mentioned. Costco doesn't have "coupons" as far as I can tell... just flyers with advertised prices. My experience is much different on larger ticket items, but I agree with you that it's not always the best price for everything.

#1347 5 years ago

I have a gold medal popcorn machine and love it. The build quality is great and doesn't suffer from the rust issue that some other brands have. I recommend checking Craigslist and Facebook for used ones to save a lot of money.

#1348 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

My Costco membership pays for itself just on the gas savings alone. Both my car and my wife's car require premium gas. It's amazing how much cheaper the higher octane gas is at Costco vs. the big chains like Mobil or Shell. We're talking literally 40-60 cents a gallon less.

#1349 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

Well, the items you mentioned obviously don't have MAP so that’s why I just said on certain items. In fact, in my area (Minnesota) I've never actually seen $xx off for any of the small items that you mentioned.

Every month it's a bunch of dumb "dollars off" coupons that are still too much after discount.

Can oil, batteries and Scotch Tape possibly have a MAP price?

Give me the bottom line, or I know it's a scam.
    Layer-10 (resized).jpgLayer-10 (resized).jpg

#1350 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

My Costco membership pays for itself just on the gas savings alone. Both my car and my wife's car require premium gas

I learned my lesson long ago about owning cars that need special fuel.

I can piss into my truck's tank and the amount of remaining alcohol will get me home.

There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one/page/27?hl=boat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.