(Topic ID: 74892)

Popcorn machine...... who has one

By JDubbbs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7965 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 01-25-43 Dune Part Two Stars React to AMC Theaters' Viral Sandworm Popcorn Bucket 'That's Not Okay' (re
    GEueuzBWEAAO143 (resized).jpg
    GEueu0AWwAEnoGO (resized).jpg
    IMG_0013 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240101_194505_Gallery (resized).jpg
    IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    bar jdubbs 2 (resized).jpg
    bar jdubbs 1 (resized).jpg
    20230223_091543 (resized).jpg
    20230222_155014 (resized).jpg
    20230220_154212 (resized).jpg
    20230220_180046 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9560874E-49C3-4C46-AA38-3DCB82C78C01 (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 36.
    #1251 5 years ago
    Quoted from evh347:

We have been enjoying ours for a couple weeks now. Cannot tell the difference from theater popcorn.
    amazon.com link »
    1 cup kernels
    2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
    1/2 tsp Flavacol
    Do NOT add salt. Do add butter flavoring. Takes about 5 minutes to make an 8oz batch from start to finish. Takes about 25 minutes to clean. To clean the kettle, I use 1 Tbsp of kettle cleaner with 2 cups of water. Turn the heat on until it just starts to boil, let cool, then rinse under water. I clean the inside with a wet rag and follow that with some non-ammonia glass cleaner and paper towel.[quoted image]

We’ve had ours for almost 1 1/2 years now and I’ve never spent that effort cleaning our kettle. Wipe it out with a wet cloth every now and then but nothing else thus far. Baked in flavor I assumed. No real build up yet at all as far as I can tell.
    Maybe I should be cleaning it more????

#1252 5 years ago
    Quoted from evh347:

Takes about 25 minutes to clean. To clean the kettle, I use 1 Tbsp of kettle cleaner with 2 cups of water. Turn the heat on until it just starts to boil, let cool, then rinse under water.

NEVER clean the kettle.

(unless something burns it black).

It takes about 10 batches to **season** the kettle for best taste; if you clean it, you have to start all over again.

Once every few batches, wipe out the kettle with a dry paper towel. That's it.

#1253 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grateful_Pin:

Maybe I should be cleaning it more????

Hell no.

Theaters just wipe them out with a dry paper towel.

#1254 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Hell no.
    Theaters just wipe them out with a dry paper towel.

That’s what I thought. Just wanted to confirm

#1255 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

NEVER clean the kettle.

I concur. Pryor to this fiasco, I never cleaned it. I just wiped it out with a paper towel between batches.

#1256 5 years ago

The old guys at the Detroit Popcorn Co. (now in Redford but formerly on Greenfield in the D.) the Gold Medal distributor for this territory say: Just wipe out the kettle with a Terry cloth after it has cooled down.
    That's the predecessor to microfiber for you youngsters.....

#1257 5 years ago

FYI, Amazon has a 24-pack of Gold Medal 8oz kits for $27.19 with free shipping. That's the cheapest I've seen them ...

https://www.amazon.com/Products-Coconut-2838-Popcorn-pre-measured/dp/B001D20WAW/ref=lp_2592790011_1_1_a_it

#1258 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

NEVER clean the kettle.
    (unless something burns it black).
    It takes about 10 batches to **season** the kettle for best taste; if you clean it, you have to start all over again.
    Once every few batches, wipe out the kettle with a dry paper towel. That's it.

This times one million. I was about to post the same thing. Kettles are like cast iron cookware...properly seasoning them is the key. The only time you would do a clean, like the Gold Medal or Carbon Off, was if the accumulation was so bad the kettle was smoking on use or the stirrers were getting bound up. A nice, seasoned kettle looks dark brown inside - no stainless visible.

I worked theater concessions for six years growing up. I had the "don't overclean" the kettle drilled into me.

#1259 5 years ago

BTW - the way we cleaned a kettle was to dump ice in it and run the kettle with the stirrer on until the ice completely melted. Dump water in bucket and wipe out with paper towels. This was on kettles that got heavy use 365 days a year and I never saw one go down for repair or get unneccesary carbon build up.

#1260 5 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

Kettles are like cast iron cookware...properly seasoning them is the key.

I can attest to this. My popcorn definitely started tasting better the more I used the popper. That's why I'm kind of bummed I had to clean it. Now I have to start all over.

#1261 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I can attest to this. My popcorn definitely started tasting better the more I used the popper. That's why I'm kind of bummed I had to clean it. Now I have to start all over.

Pop a bunch and take it to thanksgiving

I have to do that every year, or get yelled at for forgetting

#1262 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Pop a bunch and take it to thanksgiving
    I have to do that every year, or get yelled at for forgetting

Pop away! Your dogs will love you. Mine run downstairs the moment they hear the kernels popping. Don’t know why they like popcorn so much, but they do.

#1263 5 years ago

My dog loves popcorn too. He's always sneaking down into the basement to see if he can find any stray kernels on the ground near the machine.

#1264 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

My dog loves popcorn too. He's always sneaking down into the basement to see if he can find any stray kernels on the ground near the machine.

My cat sits by the machine and munches down any stray pieces that hit the floor while filling our bowls. I think she's a salt addict.

3 weeks later
    #1265 5 years ago

This machine is $115 on amazon today for cyber Monday...

Great Northern Popcorn Black 6 oz. Ounce Foundation Old-Fashioned Movie Theater Style Popcorn Popper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YOQ7VG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_A5--BbRXKBRBX

1 month later
    #1266 5 years ago

Getting ready for the NYE party......

20181227_151518 (resized).jpg20181227_151518 (resized).jpg
    #1267 5 years ago

How much were those in #50 cans?

It seems weird to have a brand called Butcher Boy and then brag it's "woman owned".

Why not call it Butcher Broad ?

#1268 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

How much were those in #50 cans?
    It seems weird to have a brand called Butcher Boy and then brag it's "woman owned".
    Why not call it Butcher Broad ?

$99.99 street price. $79 food service price. Still more than on-line but no shipping costs if you pick up at Detroit Popcorn Co.

#1269 5 years ago

My first go at it.
    Big party tonight and tomorrow night.
    I’ll report back

F1B0D627-045B-4D6A-8B7D-A2E4AE256A6F (resized).jpegF1B0D627-045B-4D6A-8B7D-A2E4AE256A6F (resized).jpeg
    #1270 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aladdin:

My first go at it.
    Big party tonight and tomorrow night.
    I’ll report back[quoted image]

I'll be doing some popping tomorrow as well. I'm curious of your results and proportions. I have a box of Great Northern pre portioned bags and I can't seem to get results as good with separate ingredients. I would think it would be the other way around. The pre portioned bags are cheap enough so it's not a big deal. Disclaimer: These taste tests are never done sober.

#1271 5 years ago

1st party Popcorn was a success (Teen Bday Party). Tsp of Flavacol in the Oil. Poured Ghee all over the top. Melted the Ghee for 20 secs in the microwave in a glass dish.
    My son's friends kept telling him how good the popcorn was.
    The Pop Secret really was Big and Fluffy (hmmm....that might be a sequel pin to Big and Juicy), but I'll need to find a bulk container at a cheaper price if this becomes popular.

Next up, NYE Party (Adults).

1 week later
    #1272 5 years ago

hi all,
    I have a 1920's/30's wood Excel popcorn machine that I need to find out how to use it. I understand that the oil and popcorn go into the top holes and turn the crank, but I have no idea how/ where the popcorn comes out into the cabinet. The kettle is mounted inside the top roof of the machine and does not have a tilt mechanism. (see pics). How does this work? Thank you, Rick

popper1 (resized).jpgpopper1 (resized).jpgpopper7 (resized).jpgpopper7 (resized).jpgpopper5 (resized).jpgpopper5 (resized).jpg
    #1273 5 years ago
    Quoted from flashbk13:

hi all,
    I have a 1920's/30's wood Excel popcorn machine that I need to find out how to use it. I understand that the oil and popcorn go into the top holes and turn the crank, but I have no idea how/ where the popcorn comes out into the cabinet. The kettle is mounted inside the top roof of the machine and does not have a tilt mechanism. (see pics). How does this work? Thank you, Rick
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That popcorn maker looks awesome! I tried to search on google for instructions but couldn’t find anything. Their was a past auction though tgat had one and mentioned they had a original recipe and instructions. Not sure if you could contact them?

http://www.icollector.com/1930s-1940s-POPCORN-MACHINE-BY-EXCEL-ELECTRIC-837324_i5492622

#1274 5 years ago

Thanks Pinballlew for the reply.
    I figured it out. You have to lift up that dome with the slots in it (see second pic) and twist enough for the tabs (you can see one at the bottom of pic 2) to keep it up by resting on the cabinet roof. That produces a 2" (or so) gap/ opening inside the kettle area from the walls of the kettle and the stirrer bottom of the kettle (the kettle actually separates in two which allows the popcorn to fall out into the cabinet with the stirrer actually pushing the popcorn out. I guess this is a space saving tactic as most of the popper is above the cabinet and this machine is smaller than most, so there really isn't enough room for a tilt type kettle and the popcorn in the cabinet. Now time to restore this (it actually still works after 80+ years)! Rick

#1275 5 years ago

Does anyone have make white cheddar popcorn using your machine? If so any good recipes?

#1276 5 years ago
    Quoted from jtreehorn:

Does anyone have make white cheddar popcorn using your machine? If so any good recipes?

Pop the popcorn, add butter, shake in kitchen garbage bag to disperse the butter, then add the powder from "white cheddar shells and cheese" box.

Nothing on earth is better

large_9c5ebc23-955b-454d-a1d3-d6b680fdff50 (resized).jpglarge_9c5ebc23-955b-454d-a1d3-d6b680fdff50 (resized).jpg

#1277 5 years ago
    Quoted from jtreehorn:

I use this stuff. Delicious! I pop the popcorn like normal and then shake it on. I even have people shake it on their own bowls, because not everyone likes my heavy hand!

616E1A3A-BF29-4D8C-A3E8-1CD7D1EE59E5 (resized).png616E1A3A-BF29-4D8C-A3E8-1CD7D1EE59E5 (resized).png
    #1278 5 years ago

Thank you!

#1279 5 years ago
    Quoted from weasley:

I use this stuff. Delicious! I pop the popcorn like normal and then shake it on. I even have people shake it on their own bowls, because not everyone likes my heavy hand!
    [quoted image]

Looks good but not available anywhere near me...can’t even find it available online.

#1280 5 years ago

I just found this on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Hoosier-Hill-Farm-Cheddar-Cheese/dp/B01INI4QA0/ref=sr_1_4_a_it
    I have not tried it. One of the reviews suggests it's a good substitute for the Cabot. I really don't want 2 lbs of it, but you only save a couple bucks by buying the 1lb.

#1281 5 years ago

Here are more pics of my antique popper As you can see in the pics, I need to reglue the cabinet seams and reattach some of the metal bracing before stripping off that silver paint to bring it back to a natural wood stain like it should be (I would imagine that paint is full of lead, yummy!) Any info. or thoughts on this popper would be great There is not much info. on it. Rick

popper2 (resized).jpgpopper2 (resized).jpgpopper3 (resized).jpgpopper3 (resized).jpgpopper4 (resized).jpgpopper4 (resized).jpgpopper8 (resized).jpgpopper8 (resized).jpg

#1282 5 years ago

I'm celebrating National Popcorn Day today. Who's with me?

#1283 5 years ago

I’m in!

#1284 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I'm celebrating National Popcorn Day today. Who's with me?

I celebrate almost daily, but I'm totally with you today.

eebd034270d0a77bf6758652f3ed3aa8 (resized).jpgeebd034270d0a77bf6758652f3ed3aa8 (resized).jpg
    #1285 5 years ago

Made Kettle corn...First time I have used Coconut oil but now that I have I am never going back...way good! I also added more sugar then my previously posted recipe. Another plus...best batch yet.

I adjusted my recipe after reading reviews of the flavorcall normal and caramel where for the caramel most recommended doubling the amount suggested.

My review of their caramel is not great...it’s similiar to Cracker Jack popcorn. I will be looking for a better Caramel corn recipe and post what I learn here.

Happy Popcorn Day everyone!

#1286 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Made Kettle corn...First time I have used Coconut oil but now that I have I am never going back...way good! I also added more sugar then my previously posted recipe. Another plus...best batch yet.
    I adjusted my recipe after reading reviews of the flavorcall normal and caramel where for the caramel most recommended doubling the amount suggested.
    My review of their caramel is not great...it’s similiar to Cracker Jack popcorn. I will be looking for a better Caramel corn recipe and post what I learn here.
    Happy Popcorn Day everyone!

check out my post #199 for a sure fire hit caramel corn recipe.

#1287 5 years ago

piss poor planning.
    extended weekend, single digit temperatures, and I'm down to my last coconut oil packet (gold medal #2638 96 ct/ 2oz)

0120191054[1] (resized).jpg0120191054[1] (resized).jpg
    #1288 5 years ago
    Quoted from weaselfest:

check out my post #199 for a sure fire hit caramel corn recipe.

Alright I printed out the recipe and I will give this a go and post my report back here. What is the soft ball stage of Caramel and what are you looking for when you test a few drops in ice water?

#1289 5 years ago

if you have a cooking thermometer it's 235° F. Soft ball is sort of what it sounds like, the droplet pretty much holds it shape while it sinks to the bottom, then slowly dissipates. 5 minutes from when the syrup starts a moderate boil is usually the mark to start checking. If you undercook, it makes the corn a little sticky, if you over cook, it crystallizes too much and gets too hard to eat. A good "do" on the caramel sauce and this stuff melts in your mouth. Don't be afraid to add a little more salt if you're a fan of the current "salted" caramel trend. Candy making is a bit of an art. This recipe makes a pretty huge batch and can be a bit to manage if you don't have the pans. This is a doubling of the original version I received in high school foods and nutrition class 40 years ago, but those portions never met demand.

#1290 5 years ago
    Quoted from weaselfest:

piss poor planning.
    extended weekend, single digit temperatures, and I'm down to my last coconut oil packet (gold medal #2638 96 ct/ 2oz)
    [quoted image]

That sucks! You should be able to get some coconut oil or ghee from Amazon in a day if not locally to you. Lot of Whole Foods places should have either too.

#1291 5 years ago

I found one dealer on Amazon for the exact same Gold Medal product I've been buying and it doesn't qualify for Prime so they stick you $$$ for shipping. I found a home theater vendor that sells it for $50/case including shipping. It will be here Thursday. I have other plain white coconut oil in the kitchen if push comes to shove, but it just won't be the same. (I'm spoiled) While it's available locally, not interested in large buckets or cans of the stuff. I'll pay for the mess free convenience of the pre-measured pak, plus it keeps really well in this manner of packaging.

#1292 5 years ago

I hear you on the convenience too. The little tubs do make a mess when making it. And too lazy to make up kits myself.

#1293 5 years ago

Wow, just got through the entire thread (read most, but skimmed a bit). I've been looking into buying a machine for a while, and just pulled the trigger the other day. This is what I bought (Paramount 6oz):
    Popcorn Machine (resized).jpgPopcorn Machine (resized).jpg
    I understand this is not the top of the line, and that it may rust a bit, but has anyone tried this perticular model? If so how did it work?

I purchased this machine and the prepackaged kits before reading this thread. As such, I think I made a mistake with the prepackaged kit as it says soybean oil. Is this no good and should I throw it away when it arrives? Here's a link to the kit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00472MN70/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00

When I realized my mistake I looked up my local concession stand supplier and found Butcher Boy Coconut oil with butter flavoring. It does not say pure coconut oil, but was wondering if it should be used. They do not have a product that says pure coconut oil. I'd hate to buy a gallon of the wrong stuff. Picture of the oil below:
    Coconut Oil (resized).jpgCoconut Oil (resized).jpg

#1294 5 years ago
    Quoted from Monk:

When I realized my mistake I looked up my local concession stand supplier and found Butcher Boy Coconut oil with butter flavoring. It does not say pure coconut oil, but was wondering if it should be used. They do not have a product that says pure coconut oil.

I've seen that in theaters, so it can't be terrible.

It looks like coconut oil with the normal Carotene added so it pops yellow - but it looks like they added **butter** flavor to the oil itself.

Let us know how it tastes!

#1295 5 years ago

I heard these oil/butter machines are a nightmare to clean, or at least are time consuming to clean every time you use them?

#1296 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

I heard these oil/butter machines are a nightmare to clean, or at least are time consuming to clean every time you use them?

1st:

You don't put any butter in the machine.

You only put oil and salt in the kettle - that's it.

2nd:

You NEVER clean the kettle.

It gets seasoned like a cast iron pan or BBQ grill - and you don't want to ever clean that seasoned surface off.

There is an "old maids" drawer that catches any unpopped or under popped kernels. You empty this every 5 or so pops.

#1297 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

1st:
    You don't put any butter in the machine.
    You only put oil and salt in the kettle - that's it.
    2nd:
    You NEVER clean the kettle.
    It gets seasoned like a cast iron pan or BBQ grill - and you don't want to ever clean that seasoned surface off.
    There is an "old maids" drawer that catches any unpopped or under popped kernels. You empty this every 5 or so pops.

Sorry not actual butter hah. I really meant just the oil or whatever oil you use.

So, you never have to clean the machine at all?

#1298 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

Sorry not actual butter hah. I really meant just the oil or whatever oil you use.
    So, you never have to clean the machine at all?

I was just worried that someone would put butter into a 500* kettle and.....yeah.

No, you never clean it.

You might wipe the inside of the machine out once in a while with a dry paper towel, but really that's it.

If you do something crazy like put butter in it, you will have to get some de-carbonizer spray to clean the burnt butter out - then you have to re season the kettle again.

#1299 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

Are you referring to a separate butter/oil dispenser, or the popcorn machine itself?

#1300 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Are you referring to a separate butter/oil dispenser, or the popcorn machine itself?

The machine itself. Something like this for example:

https://www.ht-express.com/Paragon-Theater-Pop-4oz-P19.aspx

or this:
    https://www.htmarket.com/allstred4ozp1.html

It says easy to clean kettle, so I'm assuming you have to clean the kettle? I just brought this topic up to my wife and she said these machines are time consuming to clean every time you use them.

There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one/page/26 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.