(Topic ID: 74892)

Popcorn machine...... who has one

By JDubbbs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7965 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 01-25-43 Dune Part Two Stars React to AMC Theaters' Viral Sandworm Popcorn Bucket 'That's Not Okay' (re
    GEueuzBWEAAO143 (resized).jpg
    GEueu0AWwAEnoGO (resized).jpg
    IMG_0013 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240101_194505_Gallery (resized).jpg
    IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    bar jdubbs 2 (resized).jpg
    bar jdubbs 1 (resized).jpg
    20230223_091543 (resized).jpg
    20230222_155014 (resized).jpg
    20230220_154212 (resized).jpg
    20230220_180046 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9560874E-49C3-4C46-AA38-3DCB82C78C01 (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 36.
    #1201 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

What's sprouted popcorn?

Essentially better for you with more nutrients and less glutens/sugars. Lots of information online if anyone cares to research. I’ll run a batch soon and share if it’s as good as it normally is with a double blind taste test lol.

From the interwebz “Sprouting is a way to release all the vital nutrients stored in whole grains. Sprouting grains and seeds before baking produces living, nutrient-rich food. The flour made from these grains provides more protein, vitamins and minerals than refined flours. Sprouting also neutralizes phytic acid, a substance present in grains, which inhibits absorption of nutrients.”

#1202 6 years ago

I've got a line out on a Star MFG 39R-A model.
    Any good?

#1203 6 years ago

That better be some great tasting Popcorn, cuz 3lbs of Sprouted is the same price as 50lbs of Extra Large Yellow.

#1204 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aladdin:

I've got a line out on a Star MFG 39R-A model.
    Any good?

Star makes great quality poppers.

Make sure it ALL works, because you won't like the cost of replacement parts for it.....

#1205 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

That better be some great tasting Popcorn, cuz 3lbs of Sprouted is the same price as 50lbs of Extra Large Yellow.

No kidding! Our grocery bill in the past year has increased well more than double so thankfully not that much of an increase. Hoping if works/tastes ok we will have something we don’t normally eat anymore.

#1206 6 years ago

What are the main causes for the popcorn to turn out chewy? I use coconut oil and fresh popcorn. It helps a bit when it sits on the heater for a while, but I can’t quite get the movie theatre crispness

#1207 6 years ago
    Quoted from Higloss67:

What are the main causes for the popcorn to turn out chewy? I use coconut oil and fresh popcorn. It helps a bit when it sits on the heater for a while, but I can’t quite get the movie theatre crispness

Let the oil get hotter before you put the kernels in.

#1208 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Let the oil get hotter before you put the kernels in.

Used to be chewy for me until I did the opposite. Cold oil, problem solved.

#1209 6 years ago
    Quoted from JimB:

Used to be chewy for me until I did the opposite. Cold oil, problem solved.

That's certainly not how movie theaters do it, but if it works for you, excellent.....

#1210 6 years ago

Thanks. I will try a batch both ways.

#1211 6 years ago

If any of you have a Rural King near by It's worth stopping in for a free bag of popcorn while you shop . Movie popcorn isn't as good as theirs !

1 week later
    #1212 6 years ago

This is my popcorn popper. It has a small steam engine that stirs the popcorn and turns the peanut roaster.
    It is heated by propane and was originally fire by naptha supplied by the tank above.

20171206_134640 (resized).jpg20171206_134640 (resized).jpg

#1213 6 years ago

Wow! That is quite the contraption!

#1214 6 years ago

Steampunk popcorn!

#1215 6 years ago
    Quoted from krunch:

This is my popcorn popper. It has a small steam engine that stirs the popcorn and turns the peanut roaster.
    It is heated by propane and was originally fire by naptha supplied by the tank above.

I love it!

Is there a guard that keeps kids from getting their fingers chopped off by the Flywheel ?

#1216 6 years ago
    Quoted from krunch:

That thing is awesome! It looks like it's in collector quality condition. What year is it from?

#1217 6 years ago

Wow - would love to see a video of that working

#1218 6 years ago

It is a 1911 Kingery will try and get videos

Its not the flywheel you need to worry about it's the pipes get hotter than hell!

#1219 6 years ago

It is nice. Thanks for sharing.

#1220 6 years ago
    Quoted from Higloss67:

Are you letting the steam out? When we first got our Paragon 4oz popper the popped corn was tough and chewy. It's much better if we leave the door open to let more of the steam escape.

#1221 6 years ago

The door does get full of steam. I will try to leave it open a little. Thanks

1 week later
    #1222 6 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Bumping this for the organic/special Pinsiders that may be aware of sprouted options. My wife and I (me for my Lupas BS), both eat regarding food response testing (which had been a huge leap in my health/pain since following without any meds) and have picked up some sprouted popcorn.
    Before I waste my time, has anyone tried this in their poppers? If so, it will be a huge advantage to enjoying something we both can’t have otherwise so hoping it’s been used. Otherwise, I’ll be giving an honest assessment. We use Thrive for a few items we can’t get from our local Whole Foods (Kimberton) and the wife/fat neighbor said she’d like to try it. We and our family have called the popcorn from these machines “crack” as it’s really good and we both miss it.

Finally had a chance to test. Tastes the same to me but will be curious to have others try. For reference, I took the measurements of the 8 oz GN kits I used and substituted the following:

- 1 1/4 cup of organic sprouted popcorn (From Thrive Market 1 lb. size package)
    - 1 1/2 teaspoonfuls of Better Buttery Flavacol
    - 1 3/4 tablespoonfuls of coconut oil (Snappy Pure Coconut Oil but can use any quality coconut oil or ghee)

I wanted to try some ghee but wanted to only change things one batch at a time. It seems to be the same taste (changing only the popcorn itself) but I honestly haven’t made much since I’ve tested negative (Nutrition response testing as this has had a huge impact on my Lupas pain/lack of) for corn. It’s also awesome to enjoy popcorn again!

Hoping this helps anyone that can’t have corn (but can have sprouted), etc.

NOTE: baggie is the original GN popcorn.
    F9897EF9-C83D-4E33-9A40-BE3C9A8290EE (resized).jpegF9897EF9-C83D-4E33-9A40-BE3C9A8290EE (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
    #1223 6 years ago

My little fun one...

IMG_20180115_173516 (resized).jpgIMG_20180115_173516 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180115_173500 (resized).jpgIMG_20180115_173500 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180115_173505 (resized).jpgIMG_20180115_173505 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180115_173448 (resized).jpgIMG_20180115_173448 (resized).jpg

#1224 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

My little fun one...

Aww, so cute! I assume "pipoca" is "popcorn" in Portuguese?

#1225 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Aww, so cute! I assume "pipoca" is "popcorn" in Portuguese?

#1226 6 years ago

Hi Guys, has anybody got a mini popcorn machine like this one ?
    I used arachide peanut oil and it pops pretty good for a small machine.
    Can i put the flavacol in this popcorn kettle? Or is it better to add it after popping?

popcorn-retro (resized).jpgpopcorn-retro (resized).jpg

#1227 6 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Finally had a chance to test. Tastes the same to me but will be curious to have others try. For reference, I took the measurements of the 8 oz GN kits I used and substituted the following:
    - 1 1/4 cup of organic sprouted popcorn (From Thrive Market 1 lb. size package)
    - 1 1/2 teaspoonfuls of Better Buttery Flavacol
    - 1 3/4 tablespoonfuls of coconut oil (Snappy Pure Coconut Oil but can use any quality coconut oil or ghee)
    I wanted to try some ghee but wanted to only change things one batch at a time. It seems to be the same taste (changing only the popcorn itself) but I honestly haven’t made much since I’ve tested negative (Nutrition response testing as this has had a huge impact on my Lupas pain/lack of) for corn. It’s also awesome to enjoy popcorn again!
    Hoping this helps anyone that can’t have corn (but can have sprouted), etc.
    NOTE: baggie is the original GN popcorn.

where did you get the small container of coconut oil?

#1228 6 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

where did you get the small container of coconut oil?

I got it from Amazon a few years back.

#1229 6 years ago
    Quoted from jorro:

Can i put the flavacol in this popcorn kettle? Or is it better to add it after popping

Always put the Flavacol in the oil, never sprinkle it on top of already popped corn.

Quoted from jorro:

Try switching to Coconut oil next time you run out, it has a cleaner taste on popcorn.

#1230 6 years ago

hi vid, what's the ratio oil ,corn, flava
    i just used a teaspoon oil for about 2 portions in my little machine

#1231 6 years ago

8oz Corn

1 heaping TBS (that's the larger of the 2 little measuring spoons that come with it) Coconut Oil
    (the exact amount depends on diameter of the kettle - usually it's printed on the door, some really big kettles use 2oz oil per cup of corn)

1/2 tsp (that's the smaller of the measuring spoons) of Flavacol

-

If you like that super salty bar popcorn, they use 1tsp per 8oz of corn.

#1232 6 years ago
    Quoted from jorro:

Hi Guys, has anybody got a mini popcorn machine like this one ?
    Can i put the flavacol in this popcorn kettle? Or is it better to add it after popping?

I have one and it’s more gimmicky than anything in my opinion. It was a gift and I was initially excited so I could make some jalapeño popcorn but it doesn’t work all that well for that.

2 months later
    #1233 6 years ago

From experience what brand has the best popcorn packs? Great Northern, Pop Weaver, etc?

#1234 6 years ago
    Quoted from Waldo:

From experience what brand has the best popcorn packs? Great Northern, Pop Weaver, etc?

I like the Gold Medal ones ...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D20WAW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage

#1235 6 years ago
    Quoted from Waldo:

I use these popcorn packs from Snappy Popcorn and really like them.

http://www.snappypopcorn.com/store/pc/24-10-6-oz-Snap-Paks-for-8-oz-poppers-49p39.htm

Gord

2 weeks later
    #1237 5 years ago

The bulb just burned out in my Great Northern. Does anyone know the correct type and wattage of bulb to replace it with?

#1238 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

The bulb just burned out in my Great Northern. Does anyone know the correct type and wattage of bulb to replace it with?

Should be a 50 watt R20.

Depending on your usage, you may want to get a longer life bulb (10k-20k hours). I have my machine on almost 24/7, so I bought a pack of 20k hour ones and they are working great.

Here are some links:
    https://www.bulborama.com/45-50-WATT-R20-FLOOD-20K-TURBO-LIFE-LIGHT-BULB-20-000-HOURS-p9.html

I had purchased these in the past, but they are no longer available:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CRKY3Y/

I'd also suggest avoiding LED bulbs as they heat of the incandescent works to help keep your popcorn warm and crispy, even if you have a heated deck.

#1239 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lamprey:

Should be a 50 watt R20.
    Depending on your usage, you may want to get a longer life bulb (10k-20k hours). I have my machine on almost 24/7, so I bought a pack of 20k hour ones and they are working great.
    Here are some links:
    https://www.bulborama.com/45-50-WATT-R20-FLOOD-20K-TURBO-LIFE-LIGHT-BULB-20-000-HOURS-p9.html
    I had purchased these in the past, but they are no longer available:
    amazon.com link »
    I'd also suggest avoiding LED bulbs as they heat of the incandescent works to help keep your popcorn warm and crispy, even if you have a heated deck.

Thanks for the info!

5 months later
    #1240 5 years ago

I accidentally left my popcorn maker on for about two hours after I popped a batch the other night. Now there is a charred caked on residue covering the entire bottom of the pot. What is the best way to clean this?

#1241 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I accidentally left my popcorn maker on for about two hours after I popped a batch the other night. Now there is a charred caked on residue covering the entire bottom of the pot. What is the best way to clean this?

I think your best bet is to use a razor blade and scrape it clean. I have had to do that on a few kettles before when nothing else would touch it.

#1242 5 years ago

If it was canola oil (versus coconut oil), it could be totalled.

#1243 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

If it was canola oil (versus coconut oil), it could be totalled.

It was coconut oil. I use Gold Medal pre-portioned packs.

#1244 5 years ago

Good news then. Most Gold Medal commercial dealers have a few canola oil ruined kettles on display. The $7.00 gallon jug of canola oil at Sam's Club or Gordon food service seems like a bargain compared to a $20-25 gallon of coconut oil until you ruin a $300-800 Gold Medal kettle.

#1245 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

There are cleaners specifically for popcorn kettles, but I have not used them myself. Not sure if they'd help in this case or not..?
    https://www.amazon.com/GOLD-MEDAL-PRODUCTS-2095MC-Kleen/dp/B001EEU6RS

#1246 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lamprey:

There are cleaners specifically for popcorn kettles, but I have not used them myself. Not sure if they'd help in this case or not..?
    https://www.amazon.com/GOLD-MEDAL-PRODUCTS-2095MC-Kleen/dp/B001EEU6RS

That stuff actually looks like it might do the trick. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

#1247 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

That stuff actually looks like it might do the trick. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Try Carbon-Off. You can get it on Amazon. I used this stuff on both a kettle that was in regular use in a concession trailer for 8 years using Canola oil and a 1955 Manley kettle with an unknown number of years (decades?) of carbon build up. It got both literally looking like new outside of any blueing on the actual metal from heat. Follow the directions and save yourself ALOT of work.

#1248 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

We once installed a new machine and the pub owner gave us the **ruined** one to dispose of.

CarbonOff would not touch the burned on whatever it was (plastic bag?), so I had to sandblast it back to bare metal.

Sold it for $500 at the church garage sale

#1249 5 years ago

I just wanted to follow up. The Gold Medal "Heat N Clean" worked amazingly. The kettle looks brand new!

#1250 5 years ago

We have been enjoying ours for a couple weeks now. Cannot tell the difference from theater popcorn.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WETCO4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

1 cup kernels
    2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
    1/2 tsp Flavacol

Do NOT add salt. Do add butter flavoring. Takes about 5 minutes to make an 8oz batch from start to finish. Takes about 25 minutes to clean. To clean the kettle, I use 1 Tbsp of kettle cleaner with 2 cups of water. Turn the heat on until it just starts to boil, let cool, then rinse under water. I clean the inside with a wet rag and follow that with some non-ammonia glass cleaner and paper towel.

IMG_6576 (resized).jpgIMG_6576 (resized).jpg
    There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one/page/25?hl=evh347 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.