(Topic ID: 74892)

Popcorn machine...... who has one

By JDubbbs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7965 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 01-25-43 Dune Part Two Stars React to AMC Theaters' Viral Sandworm Popcorn Bucket 'That's Not Okay' (re
    GEueuzBWEAAO143 (resized).jpg
    GEueu0AWwAEnoGO (resized).jpg
    IMG_0013 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240101_194505_Gallery (resized).jpg
    IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    bar jdubbs 2 (resized).jpg
    bar jdubbs 1 (resized).jpg
    20230223_091543 (resized).jpg
    20230222_155014 (resized).jpg
    20230220_154212 (resized).jpg
    20230220_180046 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9560874E-49C3-4C46-AA38-3DCB82C78C01 (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 36.
    #1101 6 years ago
    Quoted from loren3233:

Hey All,
    I just picked up a Great Nothern 6005 from Amazon. Opened it up and they are now installing a polished stainless panel at the ceiling area, at least the one that arrived at my place had it installed.

Did you get. The cart with it?

2 weeks later
    #1102 6 years ago

I recently bought a heavily used Gold Medal Gay 90's Whiz Bang 12oz popcorn machine and cart on Ebay through the Salvage and Surplus department of the university that I work for. It was heavily used at their basketball arena and wasn't cleaned very well or very often. I just finished disassembling the top popcorn machine part and hope to clean it all up, replace a few parts and put it back together.

Oh BTW - does anyone know how to get the wheels off of the axel on these carts? It seems to have some type of locking washer on it that I can't figure out. I'd really hate to have to pry it off with a crowbar or beat it off with a hammer.

Also, does anyone have suggestions for cart restorations? Mine is pretty rusty and I was tempted to have it sandblasted and powder coated. But I would hate to lose the original painted on graphics.

IMG_5544 (resized).JPGIMG_5544 (resized).JPG

IMG_5531 (resized).JPGIMG_5531 (resized).JPG

IMG_5528 (resized).JPGIMG_5528 (resized).JPG

IMG_5538 (resized).JPGIMG_5538 (resized).JPG

IMG_5523 (resized).JPGIMG_5523 (resized).JPG

IMG_5527 (resized).JPGIMG_5527 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
    #1103 6 years ago

Amazon has these commercial shaved ice machines on sale for $149 (usually $210)

Nothing beats real shaved ice (snow cones for you FL people) with the syrup or schnapps of your choice

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Northern-Ice-Cub-Shaver/dp/B003XMH9AG/156-5855877-4231705

#1104 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Amazon has these commercial shaved ice machines on sale for $149 (usually $210)
    Nothing beats real shaved ice (snow cones for you FL people) with the syrup or schnapps of your choice

Shows $217 for me. I order so much stuff on Amazon it would not be a shock if I am offered 'sucker' pricing on everything

#1105 6 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Shows $217 for me. I order so much stuff on Amazon it would not be a shock if I am offered 'sucker' pricing on everything

It was showing $217 for me as well two hours after Vids post. Probably sold quick at that price.

Our family bought this little one years ago which surprisingly makes fantastic shaved ice out of ice cubes. We enjoy it because it shaves ice well without leaving big chips of ice in your bowl. Works great for birthday parties!

https://www.amazon.com/Treats-Avalanche-Electric-VICTORIO-VKP1100/dp/B002S0G0RW/ref=sr_1_17

#1106 6 years ago

I might be buying a popper tonight for my wife for her birthday. Would a 4 oz popper pop enough popcorn to fill one of the large buckets of popcorn that you see at theaters in the USA? Or would that be more of the 6oz popper size? Just trying to get a grasp on 4 oz vs 6 oz?

#1107 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

I might be buying a popper tonight for my wife for her birthday. Would a 4 oz popper pop enough popcorn to fill one of the large buckets of popcorn that you see at theaters in the USA? Or would that be more of the 6oz popper size? Just trying to get a grasp on 4 oz vs 6 oz?

You can always pop a smaller batch in a larger popper.

If you guys both love popcorn, you probably want an 8oz.

8oz will fill a large bucket exactly, if you are using XLG kernels.

#1108 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You can always pop a smaller batch in a larger popper.
    If you guys both love popcorn, you probably want an 8oz. That will fill a large bucket exactly.

Thanks! 4 oz is out then. I'll look at the 8 oz and 6 oz, but shoot for the 8 oz if it is reasonable.

#1109 6 years ago

Remember, popcorn kernels are sold by WEIGHT, but the popped corn is sold by VOLUME.

So you always want to buy the XLG kernels (unless you are making Kettle Corn or Carmel Corn).

#1110 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Thanks! 4 oz is out then. I'll look at the 8 oz and 6 oz, but shoot for the 8 oz if it is reasonable.

You can always make more than one batch in the 4 oz. The longest wait time is for the initial warm up, once you are going batches pop pretty quickly. A big consideration for us was the overall size of the machine and the 4 oz fit the space much better than the bigger machines. I routinely make 4-5 batches in a row which the machine holds nicely and keeps warm while we eat.

#1111 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

If you want an inexpensive one, that is super easy to service, then get the Lincoln Popper 8oz.

That's the black one you see in every neighborhood bar.

The latest batch now has a Stainless Steel roof panel, so no more rusty panel.

It goes on sale all the time on Amazon for $119, but is normally around $160 .

Three 8oz batches will usually be enough for 6 or so people who come to play pinball.

-

Then go to the local concession supply house and get this exactly :

1 gallon of Red Coconut Oil $22

#50 XLG Golden Popcorn Kernels $20

35oz Flavacol Popcorn Seasoning $4

Unless you make popcorn every single night, this will last you all year.

#1112 6 years ago

Thanks for the tips ... I'll see what Detroit Popcorn Company deals are in a couple of hours.

#1113 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Since you're close to the Detroit area, go to Detroit Popcorn Company (in Redford on Telegraph Road- even open for awhile on Saturdays) and buy a Gold Medal popper from them. Trust me. Plus all kinds of popping supplies. They will cut you a good package deal.

Things must have changed. No package deals to offer me. They wouldn't even match the sale prices on their website - well they did on the cart though after I was about to leave. I thought a package deal in the store would be cheaper. I bought it anyway because my wife's birthday is Friday and IOU's don't go over too well (from past experience). She should be surprised.

The online sale prices are cheaper here. The regular online price is cheaper too, so they told me. Shipping likely makes it more expensive though.

#1114 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Things must have changed. No package deals to offer me. They wouldn't even match the sale prices on their website - well they did on the cart though after I was about to leave. I thought a package deal in the store would be cheaper. I bought it anyway because my wife's birthday is Friday and IOU's don't go over too well (from past experience). She should be surprised.
    The online sale prices are cheaper here. The regular online price is cheaper too, so they told me. Shipping likely makes it more expensive though.

Tell her you also owe her a Pinball Machine...lol

#1115 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Tell her you also owe her a Pinball Machine...lol

I got her an IM last year for her birthday (a week ahead) - made a trip of it going down to NC to get it. She DOES want an AS and/or DI ... sounds like a win-win to offer that IOU too. One of those might turn into a Christmas present. A TH was her Christmas present last year. After I told her how much it was, that was my Christmas present too ... I was cool with that! Sounds like a tradition I want to continue.

#1116 6 years ago

The Hubby just got one from Amazon. We host weekly pinball league at our place and a large tournament every month and so far it has gone over quite well.

#1117 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

Did you get. The cart with it?

Yes this came with the cart. 8oz machine, black and silver.

#1118 6 years ago

I was glad to see this thread get a BUMP as it made me think of John and what he had brought to the hobby. He was a good guy that I always enjoyed talking pinball with. It is hard to believe it will be 2 years ago next month that he passed away:

http://www.voranfuneralhome.com/obituary/John-R.-White-Jr./Allen-Park-MI/1532153

He started this thread, that was the connection since it might not be clear to others. RIP John.

Brad

#1119 6 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

I was glad to see this thread get a BUMP as it made me think of John and what he had brought to the hobby. He was a good guy that I always enjoyed talking pinball with. It is hard to believe it will be 2 years ago next month that he passed away:
    http://www.voranfuneralhome.com/obituary/John-R.-White-Jr./Allen-Park-MI/1532153
    He started this thread, that was the connection since it might not be clear to others. RIP John.
    Brad

Thanks for sharing this knowledge as I was completely unaware. This is my favourite thread on Pinside. No drama, no bashing, no dickheads, just popcorn *knock on wood*

This thread introduced me to the popcorn world and was the reason I purchased a machine. Now I have two in the house. We use them when company comes over, movie nights, and whenever the kids have birthday parties.

#1120 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If you want an inexpensive one, that is super easy to service, then get the Lincoln Popper 8oz.
    That's the black one you see in every neighborhood bar.
    The latest batch now has a Stainless Steel roof panel, so no more rusty panel.
    It goes on sale all the time on Amazon for $119, but is normally around $160 .
    Three 8oz batches will usually be enough for 6 or so people who come to play pinball.
    -
    Then go to the local concession supply house and get this exactly :
    1 gallon of Red Coconut Oil $22
    #50 XLG Golden Popcorn Kernels $20
    35oz Flavacol Popcorn Seasoning $4
    Unless you make popcorn every single night, this will last you all year.

Vid, what's the best way to keep the 50lb of corn from going stale? When I bought my machine I bought a case of the prepack stuff. The popcorn seems tough. So I want to get some better corn, I just don't want it to go stale.

#1121 6 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

Vid, what's the best way to keep the 50lb of corn from going stale? When I bought my machine I bought a case of the prepack stuff. The popcorn seems tough. So I want to get some better corn, I just don't want it to go stale.

I work a church event every year with another guy who also does popcorn, me at one end, him at the other. He gets the 50 LB bags too. He stores them in a big seal-tight tupperware container.

You say your popcorn "seems tough". After trial and error over the years, I have two pieces of advice for you:

1) Don't buy large quantities! I have found that even if sealed very tight, it still goes stale. I try not to buy more than a two month supply at any time. Sure, I have to go to the store a little more often, but the result is better tasting popcorn.

2) The "seems tough" is not just stale popcorn. It's the size of the kernels. The bigger the kernel the tougher it tastes/chews. The 50 LB bag always seems to be the giant size kernels. I tried the other guy when he had a brand new fresh bag of corn. The big kernels don't pop bigger popcorn, they pop popcorn with bigger husks, making for chewier popcorn. YUCK! Buy small kernel popcorn! Trust me. Try it. Buy the cheapest store brand popcorn. You don't need to buy Orville.

Joe

#1122 6 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

Vid, what's the best way to keep the 50lb of corn from going stale?

Get one of those 5 gallon buckets with the O-ring in the lid at Menards.

They are made of food grade plastic, and if you can store paint in them, you know they are air-tight.

Keep a tupperware of kernels so you don't have to mess with the heavy bucket every time.

Quoted from Insane:

The popcorn seems tough.

Tough popcorn "can" be from stale kernels, but more often than not, it's because the corn is made wrong.

Heat the oil up FIRST, then add the kernels. Never add the oil and kernels at the same time.

Do NOT slow-roast your kernels by bringing the oil and kernels up to temp at the same time!

Quoted from Insane:

I just don't want it to go stale.

Sealed in your O-ring bucket, the kernels are better sealed than the Kraft bag they come in.

If you kernels last a year, and then the last few cups go stale, just throw them out to the birds. I'm not kidding. $20 for 50 lbs.

You would pay $4 for a pound of tiny kernels at the grocery store.

#1123 6 years ago

Like Vid said, heating up the oil first to popping temperature is the best change I have made so far to my popping routine. The results were dramatic.

#1124 6 years ago

If I bought a 50 LB bag I think it would last 5 years. You guys are serious popcorn eaters!

#1125 6 years ago
    Quoted from joemagiera:

The "seems tough" is not just stale popcorn. It's the size of the kernels. The bigger the kernel the tougher it tastes/chews.

This is not true.

Every theater buys the LARGEST kernels available, because it makes them the most money (popcorn kernels are sold by WEIGHT, but the popped corn is sold by VOLUME. The larger the kernel, the more money you make because it costs less to fill the bucket).

The XLG kernel popcorn at the theater is never tough, is it?

-

Things that make popcorn tough:

1. Adding the oil and the kernels at the same time.

2. Mushroom Popcorn - this popcorn is supposed to be tough, so you can coat it with Carmel or Kettle Corn mix without it getting broken. People buy this by accident all the time.

3. Using cheap "popping oil" rather than real Coconut Oil.

4. Not leaving both the warming light AND the deck warmer on after the corn is popped.

5. Using real butter rather than Clarified or Ghee butter.

5. Old corn that has lost it's moisture, thus does not pop to it's full size

Quoted from joemagiera:

The big kernels don't pop bigger popcorn, they pop popcorn with bigger husks, making for chewier popcorn. YUCK! Buy small kernel popcorn! Trust me.

Again, this is simply not true.

Big Kernels are exactly what is used by every theater and professional concession vendor.

Big kernels make big popped corn

Look at the difference between Giant Yellow, Large White and standard grocery store popcorn:

popcorn 3 bunch sizes on blue (resized).jpgpopcorn 3 bunch sizes on blue (resized).jpgpopcorn 3 individual sizes on blue2 (resized).jpgpopcorn 3 individual sizes on blue2 (resized).jpg

I've installed 100s of popcorn machines over the years in theaters, restaurants, and fairgrounds. The larger the kernel, the lighter and fluffier the corn.

#1126 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

If I bought a 50 LB bag I think it would last 5 years. You guys are serious popcorn eaters!

If you make a couple of 8oz batches a week, it lasts **about** a year.

6 to 8 guys will eat 3 batches while playing an evening of pinball.

Then if you figure that once everyone knows you have a real popcorn machine, you are EXPECTED to bring a giant bag to Christmas, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Bachelor Parties....

You can plant it in your garden, and it grows into really big ears of corn....

#1127 6 years ago

I don't know who here may know of Jim and/or his museum dedicated to popcorn, but here is the website:

http://antiquepopcornmuseum.com

I've known him for quite some time, he is a great guy who loves his popcorn and machines. And he is always willing to share information, I know after bothering him a number of times over the years about various Holcomb & Hoke machines.

Brad

#1128 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

This is not true.
    Every theater buys the LARGEST kernels available, because it makes them the most money (popcorn kernels are sold by WEIGHT, but the popped corn is sold by VOLUME. The larger the kernel, the more money you make because it costs less to fill the bucket).
    The XLG kernel popcorn at the theater is never tough, is it?
    -
    Things that make popcorn tough:
    1. Adding the oil and the kernels at the same time.
    2. Mushroom Popcorn - this popcorn is supposed to be tough, so you can coat it with Carmel or Kettle Corn mix without it getting broken. People buy this by accident all the time.
    3. Using cheap "popping oil" rather than real Coconut Oil.
    4. Not leaving both the warming light AND the deck warmer on after the corn is popped.
    5. Using real butter rather than Clarified or Ghee butter.
    5. Old corn that has lost it's moisture, thus does not pop to it's full size

Again, this is simply not true.
    Big Kernels are exactly what is used by every theater and professional concession vendor.
    Big kernels make big popped corn
    Look at the difference between Giant Yellow, Large White and standard grocery store popcorn:

I've installed 100s of popcorn machines over the years in theaters, restaurants, and fairgrounds. The larger the kernel, the lighter and fluffier the corn.

Good explaination, I would agree. We carry Iowa grown butterfly and mushroom corn. The butterfly corn is the best for theatre poppers and its large and crisp. We do 50 pounders and 12.5 pound bags. It's the way to go.

Local is usually better because of shipping, but nothing like good fresh corn. We pop a lot.

Greg
    Pinballpro.com

#1129 6 years ago

I have a paragon 4oz. It works really well, but I do get quite a few unpopped kernels, and my coconut oil smokes quite a bit while warming. Is that normal?

#1130 6 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I have a paragon 4oz. It works really well, but I do get quite a few unpopped kernels

Totally normal.

The only way to get no unpopped kernels is to soak them in water like Orville Redinbocker does.

The unpopped ones fall into the 'old maid' tray, and you throw them to the birds.

Again, at $20 for 50 lbs, we can't worry about them.

Quoted from Deaconblooze:

and my coconut oil smokes quite a bit while warming.

Usually when it smokes, its hot enough for kernels.

#1131 6 years ago

I didn't see this posted here, so throwing it in if it helps anyone....

I eat far more popcorn than any human probably should. With the recent talk of ghee and toppings, I saw some questions about how to apply/spread it on your popcorn. The easiest is probably to just pump/squirt/dribble it on.

However, I've taken a slightly different tact to making popcorn; for reference, I tend to use extra popcorn. Meaning, if you used a 4oz pre-pacgacked portion I add an additional 1/3 cup of kernels. So, I'm lacking a bit of the fat that you would normally have. To help compensate for that I like to put on some clarified butter (ghee) to help with the buttery flavor. To apply it, I tried many ways, but found that a hand-pump sprayer works the best.

You might try just a plain old spray bottle and see if that works (i.e. cheap) or I recommend the Prepara Oil Sprayer. The reason I like is that the base/container is actual glass, not plastic. So, I can keep that refrigerated with the ghee in it and just pop it into the microwave to warm it up (make it liquid). Then I can "mist" the popcorn in my popcorn maker and toss it around and spray some more. That gives the popcorn a nice buttery note without it dripping in oil.

When I'm done, I just pump some hot water through the sprayer to clean out the ghee and let it dry.

Here is the oil sprayer I speak of:
    https://www.amazon.com/Prepara-Healthy-Trigger-Sprayer-Kitchen/dp/B01CCGRJVC

Cheers!

#1132 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lamprey:

I didn't see this posted here, so throwing it in if it helps anyone....
    I eat far more popcorn than any human probably should. With the recent talk of ghee and toppings, I saw some questions about how to apply/spread it on your popcorn. The easiest is probably to just pump/squirt/dribble it on.
    However, I've taken a slightly different tact to making popcorn; for reference, I tend to use extra popcorn. Meaning, if you used a 4oz pre-pacgacked portion I add an additional 1/3 cup of kernels. So, I'm lacking a bit of the fat that you would normally have. To help compensate for that I like to put on some clarified butter (ghee) to help with the buttery flavor. To apply it, I tried many ways, but found that a hand-pump sprayer works the best.
    You might try just a plain old spray bottle and see if that works (i.e. cheap) or I recommend the Prepara Oil Sprayer. The reason I like is that the base/container is actual glass, not plastic. So, I can keep that refrigerated with the ghee in it and just pop it into the microwave to warm it up (make it liquid). Then I can "mist" the popcorn in my popcorn maker and toss it around and spray some more. That gives the popcorn a nice buttery note without it dripping in oil.
    When I'm done, I just pump some hot water through the sprayer to clean out the ghee and let it dry.
    Here is the oil sprayer I speak of:
    amazon.com link »
    Cheers!

Gee man, the reviews are ripping on this badly. How long have you had yours?

#1133 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

Gee man, the reviews are ripping on this badly. How long have you had yours?

Yeah, the bad reviews have bubbled to the top. But, I've had mine for about a year.

I've tried some of the "Misto" ones that you pump up, but wasn't very successful using them with ghee. Like I mentioned, you might be able to use a "regular" pump bottle. YMMV.

#1134 6 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

Brad

For those that don't get to the VFW Pinball events, this hangs above the bar:

20161125_213429 (resized).jpg20161125_213429 (resized).jpg

#1135 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Get one of those 5 gallon buckets with the O-ring in the lid at Menards.
    They are made of food grade plastic, and if you can store paint in them, you know they are air-tight.
    Keep a tupperware of kernels so you don't have to mess with the heavy bucket every time.

Tough popcorn "can" be from stale kernels, but more often than not, it's because the corn is made wrong.
    Heat the oil up FIRST, then add the kernels. Never add the oil and kernels at the same time.
    Do NOT slow-roast your kernels by bringing the oil and kernels up to temp at the same time!

Sealed in your O-ring bucket, the kernels are better sealed than the Kraft bag they come in.
    If you kernels last a year, and then the last few cups go stale, just throw them out to the birds. I'm not kidding. $20 for 50 lbs.
    You would pay $4 for a pound of tiny kernels at the grocery store.

I do heat my oil first, and I have been using Great Northern prepacks, I got a good price on a case when I bought my machine. The other think I do find is if I leave the deck warmer on too long without stirring the corn, it will burn in one spot. not sure if the heater bar is too close to the deck in that spot or what. I appreciate all the great advice.

#1136 6 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

I do heat my oil first, and I have been using Great Northern prepacks, I got a good price on a case when I bought my machine.

Excellent.

Quoted from Insane:

The other think I do find is if I leave the deck warmer on too long without stirring the corn, it will burn in one spot. not sure if the heater bar is too close to the deck in that spot or what.

Sounds the heater is touching the deck.

Take the old maid drawer out, and see if you see this with a flashlight.

Unplug it before trying to move the heating element (wooden yardstick?)

If you cant reach it, take the bottom panel off and pull it back.

Post pics if you need help, of course.

#1137 6 years ago

Not as happy as when I got her a pinball machine, but she was still real happy with it. Her favorite snack.

Thanks to all that helped me with this purchase. Much appreciated!

20170623_220223 (resized).jpg20170623_220223 (resized).jpg

#1138 6 years ago

Agreed, fresh corn is the key to CRISP CORN. We are on the 3rd batch today! Popcorn is the cheapest and easiest snack in the game room.

I use these packets and buy fresh

IMG_7773 (resized).JPGIMG_7773 (resized).JPG

IMG_7775 (resized).JPGIMG_7775 (resized).JPG

#1139 6 years ago

vid1900 - What do you recommend for spreading the Ghee onto the popcorn for single batches. My wife wants some sort of a pump or spray, but the recommendation a few posts up for the mist sprayer she does not like (because of all the repetitive cleaning and that the manufacturer does not recommend using it that way). We need something easy to clean or just be able to store until the next use.

#1140 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

What do you recommend for spreading the Ghee onto the popcorn for single batches.

Just heat it up in the microwave in a glass measuring cup.

Fill the bowl 1/2 with popcorn, drizzle Ghee, toss, fill the rest of the corn, drizzle rest of Ghee.

Ghee does not have to be refrigerated, so you can just wipe out the cup with a paper towel.

If you've got a big machine, the warming deck will keep the Ghee melted for the next batch.

#1141 6 years ago

If you have a crap ton of grease build up, I have found this cleaner, easily found as Menards or Home Depot cuts right though. Love this stuff, best cleaner, cheap!

Use this cleaner and a plastic scraper, be clean in not time!

IMG_7795 (resized).JPGIMG_7795 (resized).JPG

#1142 6 years ago

I just purchased my popcorn maker this past weekend. It is the 6oz Great Northern Foundation model. So far, so good! I'm using the Great Northern corn/oil/salt bags and they seem to work very well. My family loves the taste and we have been using it once a day since it arrived!

2 weeks later
    #1144 6 years ago

I don't really like popcorn. Can anyone here pop rice? Not precooked fried rice, but built the proper device for popped rice?
    Sorry I could care less about corn

1 week later
    #1145 6 years ago

I checked my popper with a laser thermometer after ten minutes and was surprised it was only 300F. Is this hot enough? I put a single kernel in and it does not pop instantly, but does pop after 30-60 seconds. Doesn't get any hotter beyond 300.

It's a great northern Princeton popper. Never been completely satisfied with the popcorn it makes... seems spongy and not quite right.

Any advice?

#1146 6 years ago

I do mine differently than how I've read most people do it. I add the oil and seasoning at the same time to a cold kettle. Once the oil is melted, I add the corn. After that, it takes about 5-6 minutes for it to pop. I also dump it pretty early as well, when it's in the neighborhood of 1 - 2 pops / second.

After doing about 100 batches, I find this tastes the best to me. I've tried it the way some people suggest and wait for the oil to get hot, but I don't think it tastes as good as when you add it initially. You'll also notice that if you do it that way, the popcorn looks more white.

It's going to be slightly spongy right after popping because of all the steam. It's the best if you pop it ahead of time and let it sit in the kettle with the warming tray turned on for about an hour or so.

#1147 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I do mine differently than how I've read most people do it. I add the oil and seasoning at the same time to a cold kettle. Once the oil is melted, I add the corn. After that, it takes about 5-6 minutes for it to pop. I also dump it pretty early as well, when it's in the neighborhood of 1 - 2 pops / second.
    After doing about 100 batches, I find this tastes the best to me. I've tried it the way some people suggest and wait for the oil to get hot, but I don't think it tastes as good as when you add it initially. You'll also notice that if you do it that way, the popcorn looks more white.
    It's going to be slightly spongy right after popping because of all the steam. It's the best if you pop it ahead of time and let it sit in the kettle with the warming tray turned on for about an hour or so.

This is how I pop mine as well. I like seeing the yellow on the popped corn. I let the oil get very hot but it still takes a minute to finally pop the corn. I pop it early as well and let it sit for a bit afterwards.

#1148 6 years ago

+1 on this...

I have an 8oz Gold Medal. I put the oil seasoning pack in first and then let it melt (It doesn't take long). Then in with the popcorn. I always pop with the front doors open to release the steam and get the smell flowing too. I think that might help with the your sponginess as well. Mine also has a heated tray at the bottom that helps keep it crispy like the theaters. If you want it stale like the circus popcorn and sporting events stuff they sell in those red/white boxes, just leave sit it in there for a day or two before eating it.

The popcorn never pops instantly, always takes a little bit even if the oil is hot... Happy popping!

#1149 6 years ago
    Quoted from smacks:

I always pop with the front doors open to release the steam and get the smell flowing too.

I tried this with mine once and ended up having to vacuum the floor.

#1150 6 years ago

I tried this with mine once and ended up having to vacuum the floor.

Isn't that what dogs are for

There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one/page/23?hl=smacks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.