(Topic ID: 74892)

Popcorn machine...... who has one

By JDubbbs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7965 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 01-25-43 Dune Part Two Stars React to AMC Theaters' Viral Sandworm Popcorn Bucket 'That's Not Okay' (re
    GEueuzBWEAAO143 (resized).jpg
    GEueu0AWwAEnoGO (resized).jpg
    IMG_0013 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240101_194505_Gallery (resized).jpg
    IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    bar jdubbs 2 (resized).jpg
    bar jdubbs 1 (resized).jpg
    20230223_091543 (resized).jpg
    20230222_155014 (resized).jpg
    20230220_154212 (resized).jpg
    20230220_180046 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9560874E-49C3-4C46-AA38-3DCB82C78C01 (resized).jpeg

There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 36.
    #1051 6 years ago

I haven't been keeping up with this thread in awhile, but to those wondering if Gold Medal is a quality popper: YES!

Gold Medal makes commercial-grade equipment. I have had my 8 oz. popper for 5 years and it still looks brand new. I definitely paid more for it than most of the ones you can buy on Amazon but the build quality is second-to-none. The interior is all stainless. No rust!

I pop around 100 batches a year and the batches are very consistent. I use bulk popcorn, coconut oil, and a couple versions of Flavacol.

#1052 6 years ago
    Quoted from Olddragon:

I haven't been keeping up with this thread in awhile, but to those wondering if Gold Medal is a quality popper: YES!
    Gold Medal makes commercial-grade equipment. I have had my 8 oz. popper for 5 years and it still looks brand new. I definitely paid more for it than most of the ones you can buy on Amazon but the build quality is second-to-none. The interior is all stainless. No rust!
    I pop around 100 batches a year and the batches are very consistent. I use bulk popcorn, coconut oil, and a couple versions of Flavacol.

And you bought local. Well done.....

#1053 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

And you bought local. Well done.....

Yep! I used to drive by their headquarters almost daily for several years. Gotta support the local companies! Excuse me while I head to Kroger and buy some Tide and Gorilla Glue...

#1054 6 years ago
    Quoted from Olddragon:

Yep! I used to drive by their headquarters almost daily for several years. Gotta support the local companies! Excuse me while I head to Kroger and buy some Tide and Gorilla Glue...

Maybe a jet engine at the GE factory closeout store too.....

#1055 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Maybe a jet engine at the GE factory closeout store too.....

It's ironic you say that because that *may* have been the company I visited for all those years near Gold Medal.

2 weeks later
    #1056 6 years ago

Had to disassemble my Cretors Nite Club popper.

Kettle was not heating at all, not sure how this ring terminal wire broke off but should be an easy enough to fix.

I assumed the need for 'high temperature' terminals and they were only available in packs of 50 on Amazon. Checked a few local places and didn't find any. I did try to reuse the old terminal but no amount of prying, dremeling, or drilling helped. That factory crimp was designed to be permanent

kettle (resized).jpgkettle (resized).jpg

ring terminal (resized).jpgring terminal (resized).jpg

#1057 6 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Kettle was not heating at all, not sure how this ring terminal wire broke off but should be an easy enough to fix.
    I assumed the need for 'high temperature' terminals and they were only available in packs of 50 on Amazon. Checked a few local places and didn't find any. I did try to reuse the old terminal but no amount of prying, dremeling, or drilling helped. That factory crimp was designed to be permanent

Try a auto parts or a boat supplie store for a terminals

#1058 6 years ago
    Quoted from Olddragon:

Is the inside top stainless? I heard it is not and eventually rusts out, then it is toast. I just want to know what brand to watch for and which ones to avoid. Someone earlier said to avoid the ones sold at Sams Club. Gold Metal is sold at Sams Club. ???

#1059 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Is the inside top stainless? I heard it is not and eventually rusts out, then it is toast. I just want to know what brand to watch for and which ones to avoid. Someone earlier said to avoid the ones sold at Sams Club. Gold Metal is sold at Sams Club. ???

Sam's Club has sold a particular Gold Medal popper in the past. Not sure if they still do.

They are commercial products well worth the price.

#1060 6 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Your local Fastenal should have them in stock @$1 each.

#1061 6 years ago

Any ideas on this one? Anyone use the Paramount? I am aware of the possible rust issue as it is a great northern.

ebay.com link: Paramount 8oz Popcorn Maker Machine Cart New Upgraded 8 oz Popper Black

I was thinking of occasional use during small get gatherings. Looks like it may be a new system to easily remove the kettle which could make cleaning the kettle a bit easier.

#1062 6 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

That wasn't a crimp, it's an ultrasonic weld.

#1063 6 years ago
    Quoted from loren3233:

Any ideas on this one? Anyone use the Paramount? I am aware of the possible rust issue as it is a great northern.
    ebay.com link » Paramount 8oz Popcorn Maker Machine Cart New Upgraded 8 Oz Popper Black
    I was thinking of occasional use during small get gatherings. Looks like it may be a new system to easily remove the kettle which could make cleaning the kettle a bit easier.

Looks like the kettle lifts out the same way as any other popper.

Remember, you don't really **clean** the kettle. You just wipe out the crud once in a while with a dry paper towel. If you actually clean it, you have to re-season it, and the first few batches will taste like crap.

The Amazon reviews all said the roof rusted, so plan on it.

The LED lights would be fun next to a LOTR pin where somebody clownpuked the whole playfield red or green.

#1064 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Remember, you don't really **clean** the kettle. You just wipe out the crud once in a while with a dry paper towel. If you actually clean it, you have to re-season it, and the first few batches will taste like crap.
    The LED lights would be fun next to a LOTR pin where somebody clownpuked the whole playfield red or green.

Detroit Popcorn Company (Detroit area Gold Medal distributor) recommends using a terrycloth or microfiber towel to wipe out the kettle and to reuse the towel.

#1065 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Detroit Popcorn Company (Detroit area Gold Medal distributor) recommends using a terrycloth or microfiber towel to wipe out the kettle and to reuse the towel.

That's fancy!

#1066 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I was thinking of pulling the roof and possibly painted it with a high heat paint or bbq type paint in the hopes that maybe that would delay the rust from forming, would be a good time to install stainless screws that hold the roof as well.

#1067 6 years ago

Or use the roof sheet as a template and make a new one from stainless (since it's a roof, get a damaged sheet cheap).

Even the rusty one will outlast the rest of the machine

#1068 6 years ago

Back up and popping!

Now I have 98 extra High Temp Ring Terminals 12-10 wire range #10 stud size that I will never use. If anybody wants any of these for free send me a PM and I can drop 20 or so in an envelope. I hate throwing stuff out that may be of use to someone.

20170428_085350 (resized).jpg20170428_085350 (resized).jpg

#1069 6 years ago

Trying to keep track ...

Great Northern = avoid, steel roof that rusts
    Gold Medal = ok, stainless steel roof
    Paragon = ok, stainless steel roof
    Paramount = avoid, steel roof that rusts

Is this correct?

#1070 6 years ago

Speaking about Gold Medal. The blue dome popper that we sell in the stores at Sam's is a great little popper. Same components that are used on our large poppers. You can order just about everything in our catalog from Sam's website for a great price. FYI

#1071 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Trying to keep track ...
    Great Northern = avoid, steel roof that rusts
    Golden Metal = ok, stainless steel roof
    Paragon = ok, stainless steel roof
    Paramount = avoid, steel roof that rusts
    Is this correct?

As an employee of Gold Medal, I cringe when someone types Golden Metal...lol. I work in the international department so I hear and see spelling mistakes quite often with our name.

#1072 6 years ago
    Quoted from kingfishtr:

As an employee of Gold Medal, I cringe when someone types Golden Metal...lol. I work in the international department so I hear and see spelling mistakes quite often with our name.

Corrected.

#1073 6 years ago

50% corrected but no worries. I wasn't trying to be mean spirited.

#1074 6 years ago

I've had a Star Manufacturing popper for about 15 years now, stainless roof, no rust in site, very happy with it. http://star-mfg.com/star-products/popcorn-equipment/popcorn-poppers-and-warmers.html I have the little 4oz one.

#1075 6 years ago

Here is a worse-case example of a Great Northern 8oz that I repaired for a local pub while servicing their pins.

The date on the motor is 2010, so this thing has probably been in nightly service for 6 years.

You can see plenty of salt encrusted surface rust on the roof of the machine.

From the inside, you can see that the only rust is around the alternative motor mount holes punched in the roof.

I'm guessing that the reason that the roof has not rusted through is the fact that the roof metal is galvanized.

It may take another decade for all the galvanizing to wear off and the base steel to rust through.

=

So if one of these $99 junkers can run in a commercial environment, popping multiple batches night after night, it's going to be fine for most home users that will probably use it once a week.

IMG_20170427_215431242[1] (resized).jpgIMG_20170427_215431242[1] (resized).jpg

great northern (resized).jpggreat northern (resized).jpg

#1076 6 years ago
    Quoted from kingfishtr:

Speaking about Gold Medal. The blue dome popper that we sell in the stores at Sam's is a great little popper. Same components that are used on our large poppers. You can order just about everything in our catalog from Sam's website for a great price. FYI

So is 4 oz model 2404SC all stainless including the roof and other interior metal components? It only mentions that the kettle is stainless. I notice that it is made in China.

By the blue top, do you mean the 6 oz model 2085CLC for a few hundred more (including cart)? Same question - stainless roof interior and metal components? I notice that this one says made in the USA

I'm just trying to figure this all out.

#1077 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

So is 4 oz model 2404SC all stainless including the roof and other interior metal components? It only mentions that the kettle is stainless. I notice that it is made in China.
    By the blue top, do you mean the 6 oz model 2085CLC for a few hundred more (including cart)? Same question - stainless roof interior and metal components? I notice that this one says made in the USA

Mine (Blue version) was purchased almost twelve years ago from Sam's. It was made in the USA. Stainless steel, aluminum and glass in the food compartment.

Look at the pick I posted in this thread as well as another photo of Blue ones posted by someone else.

#1078 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Mine (Blue version) was purchased almost twelve years ago from Sam's. It was made in the USA. Stainless steel, aluminum and glass in the food compartment.
    Look at the pick I posted in this thread as well as another photo of Blue ones posted by someone else.

Thanks for the reply. I understand the "you get what you pay for" and that's the entire reason why I keep asking questions. If I read between the lines correctly, it sounds like the blue version is a "good" and the smaller red "funpop" version is an "avoid" ... correct ??? Or is the red funpop version all stainless and aluminum too?

Also, looking at the pricing on Sam's club ... the blue with cart separate is $785. Together as a package it is $808. Anyone know why? Usually the grouped package is cheaper. Just trying to understand. I might buy a popper for my wife for her birthday next month and I'm trying to do my due diligence research. She loves popcorn and once said she would like one of these.

#1079 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Thanks for the reply. I understand the "you get what you pay for" and that's the entire reason why I keep asking questions. If I read between the lines correctly, it sounds like the blue version is a "good" and the smaller red "funpop" version is an "avoid" ... correct ??? Or is the red funpop version all stainless and aluminum too?
    Also, looking at the pricing on Sam's club ... the blue with cart separate is $785. Together as a package it is $808. Anyone know why? Usually the grouped package is cheaper. Just trying to understand. I might buy a popper for my wife for her birthday next month and I'm trying to do my due diligence research. She loves popcorn and once said she would like one of these.

Since you're close to the Detroit area, go to Detroit Popcorn Company (in Redford on Telegraph Road- even open for awhile on Saturdays) and buy a Gold Medal popper from them. Trust me. Plus all kinds of popping supplies. They will cut you a good package deal.

#1080 6 years ago

Going to a real popcorn vendor like MrBally says, will save you $$$$$$

Don't buy those little packet kits of popcorn.

Get a gallon of Red Coconut Oil.

Get 50# bag of giant popping corn

Get a carton of Flavorcol.

Get a gallon of Supur-Kist II butter topping

#1081 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Since you're close to the Detroit area, go to Detroit Popcorn Company (in Redford on Telegraph Road- even open for awhile on Saturdays) and buy a Gold Medal popper from them. Trust me. Plus all kinds of popping supplies. They will cut you a good package deal.

Quoted from vid1900:

Okay, I'll look into that. Thanks for the advice and recommendations!

#1082 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Screw Supur-Kist II. Might as well put floor wax in the popcorn.

Try Ghee...you will NEVER go back. Ghee is clarified butter - essentially butter is three thinks butterfat, milk solids and water. Remove the milk solids and water and you get ghee. It stays good in at room temperature for about 3 months (keep out of direct light) or up to a year refrigerated. The best part? It is basically butter without the moisture, so when you use it the popcorn doesn't get soggy. You can make your own or just buy it. It's not cheap but it will be the best popcorn you've ever had. If you're going to spend the money on real coconut oil (an essential), you might as well spend the money on the right topping!

https://www.amazon.com/100-Organic-Ghee-Grass-fed-Cows/dp/B00E0WB292/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_bs_tr_t_2

#1083 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

#2404 would be fine for your home. Same kettle as the 2085, only a little smaller. Nothing inside the 2404 will rust. I have had mine at home for 7 years, and it still looks brand new. It is assembled in China to our specs. The kettle is assembled here. The dome and cabinet construction are less durable, but is more than fine in a home environment. There is no reason to avoid this machine..

#2085 is a nice machine as well. Correct, that is made on our assembly lines in Cincinnati. The blue dome is a Sam's exclusive.

#1084 6 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

Try Ghee...you will NEVER go back.

I posted about using Ghee 3 years ago in post #31

But, to be honest, my mates and I eat many 16oz batches of popcorn every week and lately, EVERYONE prefers the SupurKist.

It's lighter, and "more buttery than real butter".

All of the MJR theaters have switched over to it, so if you are obsessed with their $16 gourmet popcorn - their exact formula is: O'dells Classic Blend popping oil, Flavorcol Better Butter, topped with SupurKist2

The last party I had, it was 4 to 1 SupurKist vs Ghee

#1085 6 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

Try Ghee...you will NEVER go back. Ghee is clarified butter - essentially butter is three thinks butterfat, milk solids and water. Remove the milk solids and water and you get ghee. It stays good in at room temperature for about 3 months (keep out of direct light) or up to a year refrigerated. The best part? It is basically butter without the moisture, so when you use it the popcorn doesn't get soggy. You can make your own or just buy it. It's not cheap but it will be the best popcorn you've ever had. If you're going to spend the money on real coconut oil (an essential), you might as well spend the money on the right topping!
    amazon.com link »

Only one topping for popcorn in my book, salt. Coconut oil, popcorn, salt. That's it. Don't get me started on all the crap people put on steaks, disgusting.

#1086 6 years ago

A cheaper option is picking up Ghee at Trader Joe's...only $3.99

IMG_1883 (resized).JPGIMG_1883 (resized).JPG

#1087 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

But, to be honest, my mates and I eat many 16oz batches of popcorn every week and lately, EVERYONE prefers the SupurKist.

How do you put it on? Spray bottle? Condiment bottle? What's the shelf life like? I see Amazon has it in 1g jugs.

#1088 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

How do you put it on? Spray bottle? Condiment bottle? What's the shelf life like? I see Amazon has it in 1g jugs.

A homeowner would probably just heat up 6oz in the microwave.

A concession stand pumps it out hot from a dispenser.

Just like 50lb popcorn, it's way cheaper to buy it at a concession dealer than from Amazon.

It last about a year - but it's so cheap, if it gets too old, you can just pour it on your dog's food and it will make his coat nice.

#1089 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I posted about using Ghee 3 years ago in post #31
    It's lighter, and "more buttery than real butter".
    All of the MJR theaters have switched over to it, so if you are obsessed with their $16 gourmet popcorn - their exact formula is: O'dells Classic Blend popping oil, Flavorcol Better Butter, topped with SupurKist2
    The last party I had, it was 4 to 1 SupurKist vs Ghee

Well, you have my heartfelt apologies, Vid. I should have known the master would have known about ghee!

#1090 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

A cheaper option is picking up Ghee at Trader Joe's...only $3.99

I can honestly say I've never been in a Trader Joe's. Looks like I have a reason to go now. Thanks for the heads up!

#1091 6 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

Well, you have my heartfelt apologies, Vid. I should have known the master would have known about ghee!

I love Ghee!

I always have some in the house.

Go to an MJR theater, if you fall in love with the $16 popcorn, try the SupurKist at home.

If you think it tastes like a chemical bath, stick with the real thing.

#1092 6 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

I can honestly say I've never been in a Trader Joe's. Looks like I have a reason to go now. Thanks for the heads up!

It's actually a pretty cool store with great prices.

#1093 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I love Ghee!
    I always have some in the house.
    Go to an MJR theater, if you fall in love with the $16 popcorn, try the SupurKist at home.
    If you think it tastes like a chemical bath, stick with the real thing.

What other things do you use Ghee on?

#1094 6 years ago

Think of Ghee as butter that does not go bad leaving it out all the time (like butter would in the summer).

It's never hard like a stick of butter (unless a houseguest puts it in the fridge), so it's always ready to spread.

#1095 6 years ago

Vid turning into part time Ghee pitchman

#1096 6 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Vid turning into part time Ghee pitchman

Full-time.

Eat it everyday.

dalda_cooking_oil (resized).jpgdalda_cooking_oil (resized).jpg

#1097 6 years ago

Wife introduced me to Ghee before I payed attention to Vid. We use it extensively in place of butter and cooking now.

1 week later
    #1098 6 years ago

I am a dealer for popcorn machines, american made right in Iowa. Have a great deal on an entry level Thifty Pop http://pinballpro.net/shop/thrifty-pop-popcorn-machine/

We carry Paragon, and have everything from thrifty or the antique style on a cart. Red, Black, stainless....Even huge commercial grade units.

Thanks Greg
    Pinbalpro.com

thrifty-pop-2 (resized).jpgthrifty-pop-2 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 10.17.35 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-05-15 at 10.17.35 PM (resized).png

#1099 6 years ago

Hey All,

I just picked up a Great Nothern 6005 from Amazon. Opened it up and they are now installing a polished stainless panel at the ceiling area, at least the one that arrived at my place had it installed.

20170510_100250 (resized).jpg20170510_100250 (resized).jpg

20170510_100113 (resized).jpg20170510_100113 (resized).jpg

#1100 6 years ago
    Quoted from loren3233:

Hey All,
    I just picked up a Great Nothern 6005 from Amazon. Opened it up and they are now installing a polished stainless panel at the ceiling area, at least the one that arrived at my place had it installed.

It probably cost them $1 to avoid all the rusty roof complaints on Amazon.

Very cool, I wonder if they sell those as a replacement part yet?

There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one/page/22 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.