(Topic ID: 74892)

Popcorn machine...... who has one

By JDubbbs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7965 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 01-25-43 Dune Part Two Stars React to AMC Theaters' Viral Sandworm Popcorn Bucket 'That's Not Okay' (re
    GEueuzBWEAAO143 (resized).jpg
    GEueu0AWwAEnoGO (resized).jpg
    IMG_0013 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240101_194505_Gallery (resized).jpg
    IMG_0307 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7521 (resized).jpeg
    bar jdubbs 2 (resized).jpg
    bar jdubbs 1 (resized).jpg
    20230223_091543 (resized).jpg
    20230222_155014 (resized).jpg
    20230220_154212 (resized).jpg
    20230220_180046 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9560874E-49C3-4C46-AA38-3DCB82C78C01 (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 36.
    #851 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I honestly don't really get why it matters if a thread is in the basement or not. Other than the color scheme, what's the difference? The thread hasn't been "buried" as lowepg suggested. All basement threads still show up on the main forum page if you have that option turned on in your forum settings.

Really?

So do basement threads show up on the main page by default or is the default that they are hidden?

#852 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Really?
    So do basement threads show up on the main page by default or is the default that they are hidden?

The default is hidden ....

Settings.pngSettings.png

#853 8 years ago

Basement posts are not on my main page on my phone.

#854 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

The default is hidden.

exactly. thank you. It was a rhetorical question, btw.

The DEFAULT that you setup is to hide them from the front page.... hence my description BURIED.

ALL basement threads, by pinside default are buried. Only accessible via the basement link or going in a changing the setting.

#855 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Not sure why you are unhappy with me correctly identifying that?

Who said I was unhappy?

#856 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Basement posts are not on my main page on my phone.

Here's a screenshot of the main page on my phone. Notice the popcorn thread at the bottom .....

Screenshot.pngScreenshot.png

#857 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible. All OT threads are now supposed to reside in the basement. That's how Robin wants it. If we were to move this thread out of the basement, then people would want us to move other threads out of the basement. Once we start doing that, it's a slippery slope. How can we fairly pick and choose? I agree that this is an awesome thread, but the fact remains that it is OT.

there already exists a proper place for this thread: gameroom.

a quick glance in that thread reveals other similar topics:
    garbage cans: vintage or not?
    soda machines
    panel light diffusers
    pool tables
    etc.

#858 8 years ago

My main complaint is that this thread is less discoverable because the main forum search will not bring back basement results (at least "popcorn machine" didnt return this topic for me). Stumbling across this thread and then being sucked in has made my life much better and I wish that for others.

#859 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinballholder:

My main complaint is that this thread is less discoverable because the main forum search will not bring back basement results (at least "popcorn machine" didnt return this topic for me. Stumbling across this thread and then being sucked in has made my life much better and I wish that for others.

I didn't realize basement threads did not show up in the main forum search. That's a problem. This is a great thread for discussing popcorn machines used in our game rooms.

There are a number of similar threads that have not been moved to the basement. Perhaps this thread should have been titled "Gameroom Popcorn Machines".

Has anybody tried getting this moved back to Gameroom Talk using Moderator Feedback?

#860 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

btw, allow to also call bullshit on this comment.... the dreaded slippery slope argument.
    there already exists a proper place for this thread: gameroom.
    a quick glance in that thread reveals other such riveting topics as:
    garbage cans: vintage or not?
    soda machines
    panel light diffusers
    pool tables
    etc.
    Not quite sure how those are somehow ONTOPIC for game rooms, yet popcorn machines pose some sort of slippery slope/clear and present danger of the world exploding if not moved to basement...

First of all, you are absolutely correct. This thread should be in the "All Gameroom Talk" sub-forum, and I will move it there now. In my haste to explain why it was moved to the basement, I completely overlooked the fact that there was already an appropriate sub-forum for it.

Secondly, you really need to learn how to express yourself in a more polite manner. Even when you are making a point that is valid, you have a tendency to do it an a nasty way.

#862 8 years ago
    Quoted from robbo105:

I didn't realize basement threads did not show up in the main forum search. That's a problem. This is a great thread for discussing popcorn machines used in our game rooms.
    There are a number of similar threads that have not been moved to the basement. Perhaps this thread should have been titled "Gameroom Popcorn Machines".
    Has anybody tried getting this moved back to Gameroom Talk using Moderator Feedback?

I just moved it.

#863 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I just moved it.

Awesome, thank you!!!!

Should we also get the title changed to "Gameroom Popcorn machine...... who has one" to eliminate any future confusion?

#864 8 years ago
    Quoted from robbo105:

Awesome, thank you!!!!
    Should we also get the title changed to "Gameroom Popcorn machine...... who has one" to eliminate any future confusion?

I think it's fine. It's in the appropriate sub-forum now, so people will know it's in reference to game rooms.

#865 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

First of all, you are absolutely correct.

agreed.

Quoted from gweempose:

Secondly, you really need to learn how to express yourself in a more polite manner. Even when you are making a point that is valid, you have a tendency to do it an a nasty way.

My politeness sometime runs thin in the face of perceived knee-jerk moderation.

I edited my previously snarky comments out and simple left behind the brilliance of my main thoughts....

#866 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

I tried a few different kinds, but THIS is what I've settled on.... really happy with it.
    91QchdnrEpL._SY679_.jpg

These are good kits. If you are looking for super healthy and approved for use in schools for the kiddos, check these out from your local distributor. Popcorn still tastes pretty good: sunflower oil(less oil too), pure white salt and same large kernal popcorn.

http://www.sunnypop.com/

#867 8 years ago
    Quoted from kingfishtr:

These are good kits. If you are looking for super healthy and approved for use in schools for the kiddos, check these out from your local distributor. Popcorn still tastes pretty good: sunflower oil(less oil too), pure white salt and same large kernal popcorn.
    http://www.sunnypop.com/

Thanks for that!

Love that its a Gold Medal product.

I have a family member thats trying to watch their health, and this would be an awesome option!

#868 8 years ago

Not sure what you guys use to clean your popcorn machine. I use ZEP nontoxic degreaser. It's hands down the best thing I have used. Especially if you use ACT 2 popcorn oil from SAMs. Some sticky shit. This machine is 8 years old and I just gave it its annual cleaningimage.jpegimage.jpeg

#869 8 years ago

20151220_084227.jpg20151220_084227.jpg Ok.........for what its worth here's mine. Hot dogs too! Moved them there for awhile until I find replacement pins for the Dr Dude and Party Zone I just sold!

1 month later
    #870 8 years ago

Anyone know the differences in the Great Northern models Foundation, Roosevelt and Princeton? They seem to vary greatly in price but have the same features.

#871 8 years ago

i recently learned that Gordon's Food Service (GFS) sells 8oz kits. $27.49/36 pkgs. Here in SW michigan. Can't comment on the quality, haven't tried. They also sell Flavacoll. I also found out our local movie chain uses Weavers popcorn. I haven't found where you can purchase it, but its really good quality, at least when they make it. I also had some left over the last time we went, had a refillable bucket, filled before we left. Cam home and dumped it in the machine. Heated it up a couple of times, but didn't eat any. Finally ate some almost 2 weeks later and it was still very good after letting it warm up.

#872 8 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

i recently learned that Gordon's Food Service (GFS) sells 8oz kits. $27.49/36 pkgs. Here in SW michigan. Can't comment on the quality, haven't tried. They also sell Flavacoll. I also found out our local movie chain uses Weavers popcorn. I haven't found where you can purchase it, but its really good quality, at least when they make it. I also had some left over the last time we went, had a refillable bucket, filled before we left. Cam home and dumped it in the machine. Heated it up a couple of times, but didn't eat any. Finally ate some almost 2 weeks later and it was still very good after letting it warm up.

I've bought the 8oz. kits from GFS in the past; They were "Pop Weaver's" brand. GFS has competitive pricing for brick & mortar store sales of popcorn supplies. Limited selection, but that's where all of the school & other fundraising organizations buy their popcorn, Super Pretzels, Bosco Sticks and all of the other J&J Snack Foods healthy choices.

#873 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I've bought the 8oz. kits from GFS in the past; They were "Pop Weaver's" brand. GFS has competitive pricing for brick & mortar store sales of popcorn supplies. Limited selection, but that's where all of the school & other fundraising organizations buy their popcorn, Super Pretzels, Bosco Sticks and all of the other J&J Snack Foods healthy choices.

I don't think what they had when I was there was Pop Weaver brand. I buy a number of things there throughout the year. I just hadn't ever seen, or maybe noticed the popcorn kits before.

#874 8 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

I don't think what they had when I was there was Pop Weaver brand. I buy a number of things there throughout the year. I just hadn't ever seen, or maybe noticed the popcorn kits before.

The GFCs I've seen have Vogel popcorn kits in 24 packs.

They taste good, but you can make the same thing for 1/20 of the price by buying your own Flavorcal, Coconut Oil and Kernels.

#875 8 years ago

Great deal on Great Northern Popcorn Black Bar Style Lincoln 8 Ounce Antique Popcorn Machine (Bar Style)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000QWCAB4/ref=dp_olp_used

#876 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

They taste good, but you can make the same thing for 1/20 of the price by buying your own Flavorcal, Coconut Oil and Kernels.

That's the brand I saw. The only issue I've had is that the popcorn I've made (great northern 8oz packs) Seems tougher than the popcorn I get from the theater. I usually heat up the kettle for a min or 2, then add the oil and salt and let that get good and hot, then add the corn. is it just the quality of the corn, or the machine, or the way I'm making it. I also let is sit in the machine for 30 mins or so before I start eating it.

#877 8 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

The Cub Scouts were selling Weaver brand popcorn. I was impressed with the quality but it was 'fundraiser prices' and I haven't seen it for sale locally. Would definitely purchase again if I found it

Also, I have been using Crisco brand coconut oil lately, it leaves less of a coconut taste than Trader Joes brand. And it's a little bit cheaper

#878 8 years ago

Has anyone come up with a solution for the Great Northern top section corrosion issue? I want to replace mine and the part is pretty inexpensive but I would like to figure out a way to prevent it in the future.

#879 8 years ago

Here is my machine.

#880 8 years ago

Ugh... broke the plastic door on my GM Antique Deluxe 60

#881 8 years ago

So, I'm just browsing around the site and I find a POPCORN topic!!!! What is better than popcorn with anything including pinball. My kids bought me a small machine a couple of years ago for Christmas. I've experimented with all types of popcorn, oils and salt. I use Coconut oil (colored and in the gallon container) and Flavacol salt. Still messing around with corn. I started with the 50 pound bag figuring I would blow through that in no time or so I thought. It didn't take long to figure out that bag goes a LONG WAY and keeping the corn fresh is really important. So I am now buying smaller bags to keep it fresh. I'm going to work backward and see if I can pick up any tips.

#882 8 years ago
    Quoted from rwarren28806:

It didn't take long to figure out that bag goes a LONG WAY and keeping the corn fresh is really important. So I am now buying smaller bags to keep it fresh.

The 50 pound bag is usually the same price as the 20 pound, so it makes sense to buy the #50.

Pour the corn into some 5 gallon buckets and stand on the lids to seal them up for storage.

Keep your daily supply in a tupperware.

Never put the corn in the fridge, because the fridge will suck all the moisture out of it.

#883 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The 50 pound bag is usually the same price as the 20 pound, so it makes sense to buy the #50.
    Pour the corn into some 5 gallon buckets and stand on the lids to seal them up for storage.
    Keep your daily supply in a tupperware.
    Never put the corn in the fridge, because the fridge will suck all the moisture out of it.

Definitely agree with not refrigerating. I read once that was the way to go. Definitely bad advise. I also read you could hydrate seeds by putting a very small amount of water in a jar and shaking it around. I was skeptical but tried it anyways. Some of the seeds sprouted. LOL If it does get a bit stale, the squirrels get a free meal.

You provide great pinball and popcorn advise. Is there anything you aren't good at? I could use some tax advise.......

#884 8 years ago

I use my vacuum sealer to seal up my popcorn in 3 pound bags. I usually get the 12.5 pound bag...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YLGA0W

I will go through this in about 2-3 months. I am always on the look out for good popcorn, this is one of the better ones I have had.

#885 8 years ago

My popcorn machine is basically a cooking pot. Pour the kernels in with some Wesson oil, cover and then shake the pot on the stove until the popping stops. Pour the popcorn into a bowl and add butter(not margarine) and salt. Pretty simple.

#886 8 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

My popcorn machine is basically a cooking pot. Pour the kernels in with some Wesson oil, cover and then shake the pot on the stove until the popping stops. Pour the popcorn into a bowl and add butter(not margarine) and salt. Pretty simple.

Switch to Coconut oil if you want it to come out less greasy.

#887 8 years ago

KETTLE CORN!!!

#888 8 years ago

Hey Hearthley I have the same machine as you. Where did you get the cups? I have originals but would like to save them and run some others like you have.

Thanks!

#889 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I've been thinking of moving away from the 8oz kits.

I've got the flavacoll, but what's your preferred source for oil (sticks?) and corn?

#890 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

but what's your preferred source for oil (sticks?) and corn?

Find your local "concession sales" and buy a gallon of "Red Coconut Oil" and #50 large yellow corn.

#891 8 years ago

I'll try coconut oil next time. Thanks

#892 8 years ago

This is the oil I use. Comes out great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YLI9E2

I had used the LuAnn sticks of oil, which were pretty good (and a free gift from a member here!) but switched after I ran out.

I also got this stuff as someone mentioned kettle corn.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M8YEY6C

Not exactly kettle corn, but close and very tasty! My buddy got all of the other sugar flavors and they are actually pretty darned good!

#893 8 years ago
    Quoted from njgsx96:

Not exactly kettle corn, but close and very tasty!

Says it needs extra cleanup instead of wiping down. How hard and how do you clean up after?

#894 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Find your local "concession sales" and buy a gallon of "Red Coconut Oil" and #50 large yellow corn.

My problem with the gallon containers is after the first inch is gone, I have to reach further and further into the container and get oil all over my hand scooping it out. What do you guys do, transfer it to a smaller jar as you use it? Use an extendable scooper? Im sure I am missing an embarrassing ly simple fix for this....

#895 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

My problem with the gallon containers is after the first inch is gone, I have to reach further and further into the container and get oil all over my hand scooping it out. What do you guys do, transfer it to a smaller jar as you use it? Use an extendable scooper? Im sure I am missing an embarrassing ly simple fix for this....

That is the one downside. But if you are careful, it's not too bad. Just roll up your sleeve. Well worth the effort for the better taste. I use a metal tablespoon with a 4 inch handle. When I get almost to the bottom, I place the entire container in the microwave and put it on a warm setting until it turns liquid then pour that into a smaller container.

#896 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

My problem with the gallon containers is after the first inch is gone, I have to reach further and further into the container and get oil all over my hand scooping it out.

Perhaps something like this would work?

http://www.amazon.com/Prepworks-Progressive-Handled-Coffee-Scoop/dp/B000HM606Y

Scoop_(resized).jpgScoop_(resized).jpg

#897 8 years ago
    Quoted from JimB:

Says it needs extra cleanup instead of wiping down. How hard and how do you clean up after?

It does leave a little sugar coating, similar to the salt coating after a regular batch, on th ekettle and walls of the machine. So contrary to their statement, it is as simple as wiping it down. If you do it while still warm, it is a quick clean up. What I do is I actually make a small batch of regular popcorn afterwards, which does a good job of soaking up the leftover sugar. It is such a small amount of sugar and is mostly unnoticed when eating that second batch. After that, I do a quick wipe with a warm cloth.

#898 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I just use a wooden spoon.

Coconut oil turns into a liquid on a hot day, so you can always pour it into a margarine tub.

#899 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I just use a wooden spoon.
    Coconut oil turns into a liquid on a hot day, so you can always pour it into a margarine tub.

IIRC, 75°F is the point where it liquifies. You can take the gallon jugs that it comes in from some vendors (Detroit Popcorn Co. for example) and warm up by placing in a large pot/kitchen sink with hot tap water to pour out into quart or pint jars.

#900 8 years ago

For the coconut oil, I found that a standard ice cube is about 2 tablespoons. You can always fill one and then separate it out for later use or keep it in the fridge for easy use later.

I miss the sticks for the sole reason of being so easy to measure.

There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one/page/18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.