New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 74892)

Popcorn machine...... who has one

By JDubbbs

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,518 posts
  • 238 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by weasley
  • Topic is favorited by 99 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 276 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2D477BFB-A784-4D73-A858-64C3B94D1C9A (resized).jpeg
    CF7308AA-1E5C-4C32-953F-F88164BBB1BF (resized).jpeg
    20191117_200008 (resized).jpg
    2F19FCAD-03F2-4511-BD47-5FCC93B9996B.gif
    Robot_01 (resized).jpg
    783D5004-05CB-4581-A36E-04F931470CD1 (resized).jpeg
    C037D96F-2332-4705-87DE-82E3E6C1AFF8 (resized).jpeg
    4E974EBD-25BB-478C-B0E8-D8916CC5BC91 (resized).jpeg
    4330FE83-47D4-4827-A9E1-6D725AAAD753 (resized).jpeg
    F2E3156F-0E20-409A-ABB5-B4FD64C7BB41 (resized).jpeg
    7B6B63B1-B846-4246-8C58-D087B4CF37C2 (resized).jpeg
    03BF08AF-BB57-45AC-86D6-D6E8F20ED558 (resized).jpeg
    5B357879-6BEC-4A25-889F-58302228C903 (resized).jpeg
    B19148C9-CD6A-43B4-8022-1EC5D57E379A (resized).jpeg
    78A992E8-E9CE-4038-A3D1-E12940830DB1 (resized).jpeg
    c443baf8-1101-4787-91a1-b753497bba9f_1.db8b4416198f8bf47ad9a86afa0fc2a3 (resized).jpeg

There are 1518 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 31.
    #701 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

"Medical Reasons" to avoid salt are mostly myth based on junk science from decades ago anyway.

I'm pretty sure most doctors still advocate a low sodium diet if you have hypertension.

#702 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I'm pretty sure most doctors still advocate a low sodium diet if you have hypertension.

Sure, because they've done so for YEARS now, but the whole idea that it even matters was started by one guy who did a faulty inconclusive study (according to several articles I've seen in recent years). There's no solid proof it makes any difference.

#703 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Sure, because they've done so for YEARS now, but the whole idea that it even matters was started by one guy who did a faulty inconclusive study (according to several articles I've seen in recent years). There's no solid proof it makes any difference.

I'm honestly not up to speed on the research. I haven't read anything about a shift in thinking when it comes to sodium and high blood pressure, but I certainly don't doubt what you are saying. I generally subscribe to the theory that everything is fine in moderation.

#704 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

Sorry, what I meant to say was Great Western.
    great-western.png
    Way too much salt.

This is the one we use, I agree with "epthegeek", no such thing as "Too Much Salt" with Pop Corn but if you want less salt, you simply cut a corner off the bottom and bleed off the amount you don't want.

PopCorn.png

#705 5 years ago

Anyone else store unpopped kernels in the freezer? I read this keeps them fresh longer. I tried it, was surprised the frozen kernels popped about the same as room temp.

I can't think for myself and need the Internet to tell me if this is a good idea.

#706 5 years ago

Just ordered mine from Costco, with a 40 pack of corn. Hope i picked a good machine, i was torn between this and finding a used Gold Medal on craigslist. fingers crossed...

#707 5 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Anyone else store unpopped kernels in the freezer? I read this keeps them fresh longer. I tried it, was surprised the frozen kernels popped about the same as room temp.
    I can't think for myself and need the Internet to tell me if this is a good idea.

That is what I've been told as well. Also works for ground coffee and small disposable batteries like AA, AAA, 9volt. etc...

#708 5 years ago
    Quoted from BigB:

That is what I've been told as well. Also works for ground coffee and small disposable batteries like AA, AAA, 9volt. etc...

and film, if anyone still uses film cameras...

#709 5 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

and film, if anyone still uses film cameras...

What's this "film" you speak of?

#710 5 years ago

Just got the update, my machine will be delivered Monday, the box of corn, also shipped, but the tracking hasn't updated yet.

#711 5 years ago

If you get near Detroit, stop at Detroit Popcorn Co. They have a Great Northern (not for sale) that they use to point out the differences to make informed decisions versus a Gold Medal popper. Granted, for home use, a lower priced import brand may be ok. But certainly not for events or concession use.

They also have kettles damaged by junk canola oil on display.

#712 5 years ago

I'm getting excited, my corn is supposed to be delivered today...got the machine yesterday.

#713 5 years ago

Guys, I've been popping corn for over two months now. I was going to try cleaning the kettle with inside kettle cleaner. I went to use the stuff but there are no instructions on the container? How do you use this stuff and how much do you use?

The stuff I have: http://www.popcornmachine.ca/inside-kettle-cleaner.html

#714 5 years ago

After seeing this thread, I bought a popper and made the first batch last night. It was easy and the family loved it. image.jpg

#715 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tbgolfen:

After seeing this thread, I bought a popper and made the first batch last night. It was easy and the family loved it. image.jpg

That looks exactly like my popcorn trolley which was purchased 4 years ago. I have run several cases of Snappy Popcorn Snap Paks through it and it works very well and makes great popcorn.

http://www.maxi-matic.com/family-fun/popcorn-makers/8oz-deluxe-popcorn-trolley.html
    http://www.snappypopcorn.com/store/pc/24-10-6-oz-Snap-Paks-for-8-oz-poppers-49p39.htm

Gord

#716 5 years ago

Looks the same to me. I bought a great northern popcorn machine.

If it lasts 4 years, I will be happy. I am sure it will last longer.

1 week later
    #717 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Looks the same to me. I bought a great northern popcorn machine.
    If it lasts 4 years, I will be happy. I am sure it will last longer.

Buddy, it's not going to last you 4 months, years is a pipe dream. They look the same but are made of rusting or inappropriate materials. Mine lasted a little over a month and I am debating whether to salvage it after replacing the entire roof (at great northern's sole expense) or to try the oil coat method. Maybe someone would give me over a hundred bucks, which is honestly more than the machine is worth. For food materials it can be inferior and then there is just straight inappropriately made crap. Damn it all if great northern didn't manufacture some crap.

#718 5 years ago

I bought a Great Northern machine (the 8oz Lincoln Popper) in February. Have gone thru 30+ packages so far and only issue was the warming bulb went out and I had to buy a replacement. No issues with rust and still cleans up very nice.

#719 5 years ago

Sad news everyone,

I just found out that OP of this thread has passed away.

He was a member of the VFW Pinball club and the two preceding clubs including Tilt Town.

I have no other details but just wanted everyone to know.

RIP Dubbbs

Bruce

#720 5 years ago

That's sad to hear. best thoughts for his family.

#721 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Sad news everyone,
    I just found out that OP of this thread has passed away.
    He was a member of the VFW Pinball club and the two preceding clubs including Tilt Town.
    I have no other details but just wanted everyone to know.
    RIP Dubbbs
    Bruce

Sad.

RIP Dubbs! Thanks for a great thread.... Its been an enjoyable escape from the sometimes caustic intense pinball threads.

#722 5 years ago

RIP Dubbs. Thoughts to the family...

#723 5 years ago

RIP

Dubbs was a good guy.

Condolences to Denise.

1 week later
    #724 5 years ago

Mine got delivered yesterday. How does everyone make this stuff? The instruction manual says to preheat the oil for 3 minutes, then add the corn and seasoning. However, the package says to just dump everything in after preheating the empty kettle for 5-7 minutes. I went with adding the oil first and then the corn and seasoning. After about 3 minutes, the oil started to smell burnt, but perhaps it was manufacturing residue that I didn't properly clean first.

It tasted pretty good, but some of the corn had a lot more seasoning than other.

I'm also getting unpopped corn flying out of the gap above the doors. Is that normal?

I bought these pre-portioned packages. They are a pain in the ass to work with if you ask me.

amazon.com link »

20317903036_427140645c_o.jpg

20335667692_2e37f6950a_o.jpg

20156133508_1dc298c273_o.jpg

#725 5 years ago

I'm pretty new to the whole popcorn machine thing. I've only had mine for 3 or so months. I originally started the way you did. I warmed up the oil until it was smoking and then dumped everything in. This produced great tasting popcorn but all of it was white. 2 months in and I think I have it down to a science now. Instead of letting the oil get smoking hot I just warm up the kettle a bit. Then dump everything in. This produces that yellowish "movie" popcorn that we are all use to. Looks great, tastes great.

As for the pre-packs, yeah they are a complete pain in the ass. I cut open the seed section and dump it into a small bowl, then I cut open the salt and dump as much as I want in. Then I cut the excess plastic off the pre-pack and throw the oil into the microwave for about 1-1.5 minutes to melt everything and get it warm. The only good thing about the pre-packs is not having to measure everything out. Plus they're easier to store.

BTW, nice garage. I could eat off that floor.

#726 5 years ago

You should never just dump in oil and let it heat until it smokes. That is how you start a flash fire and burn down the house. Everyone has an opinion on how to do it, but just load it all in at once. The first batch will never be as good as the batches to follow. Turn on the kettle and let it heat a bit, then dump corn, oil and salt in. You do not want to ever just load oil into a kettle that is 480 degrees. Be safe !!!

#727 5 years ago

Also, coconut oil has a very high flash point and is known to be safe in a kettle. More so than other oils with lower flash/smoke points. But it can still start a fire in under the right conditions. Popcorn machine fires are very hard to put out. Believe me, we catch machines on fire here at the factory as a safety measure. We also make machines with fire suppression. If the fire suppression mechanism is ever triggered, that machine will never be used again!!! It will prevent the fire from spreading, but that $10,000 popcorn machine is going into the dumpster.

#728 5 years ago

If you want to heat the oil up first, the best way to determine when it is time to add the corn is to throw in a couple test kernels with the oil. When they pop, dump in the rest.

#729 5 years ago

With my Great Northern popper, I let the oil heat for at least 8 minutes. I get better results when the oil is very hot.

My popper does not seem to be capable of causing the biblical fire scenario described above after 8 minutes.

#730 5 years ago

And yeah, mine flings out unpopped kernels. It happens. I used wolfmarsh's lid closer widget from a few pages ago and it helps with that (thanks wm!).

#731 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

BTW, nice garage. I could eat off that floor.

Thanks! It's my first garage and happens to be a 3 car. I love it!

Quoted from kingfishtr:

You should never just dump in oil and let it heat until it smokes. That is how you start a flash fire and burn down the house.

It's unfortunate that they recommend doing it that way in the instructions. I'll try dumping everything in all at once the next time. I might make another batch tonight just to see how it goes.

Looks like cleanup is just a matter of wiping it down with a damp cloth?

Quoted from radium:

I used wolfmarsh's lid closer widget from a few pages ago and it helps with that (thanks wm!).

I'll see if I can find what you are referring to and buy one.

#732 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Looks like cleanup is just a matter of wiping it down with a damp cloth?

Yep. Cleans up pretty easily. Makes sure to check for rust on the screws on the ceiling of the machine. I purchased kettle cleaner but I haven't used it yet. Mainly because it didn't come with instructions.

#733 5 years ago

I just made a batch. Haven't fixed the rust yet.

#734 5 years ago

RIP Dubbs. Some of our memories of you will pop up in this ongoing post for a long time.

#735 5 years ago

I've made 3 batches in mine now, the first one I heated up the kettle for say 2 mins and then added the oil and let it heat for 5 mins, then added the corn/salt. it came out good, lots of smoke. The next 2 I turned on the kettle and added the oil within say 30 seconds, let it heat for 5 mins then added the corn/salt. Also came out good. no real smoke. I think the smoke was probably because it was the first time the kettle was heated. I also had lots of unpopped corn flying out of the kettle with the popped corn, I just got Wolf's widget so i'll try that tonight to see if it helps. Thanks Wolfmarsh..

1 week later
    #736 5 years ago

Finally got mine on order. Been thinking about this for a long time and finally it's on it's way.

Quoted from gweempose:

If you do swap out the screws, please let us know what size they are.

Did anyone ever do the replacement? What size and style are they?

Quoted from vid1900:

I'm going to do a guide on clearcoating the paint and bending new #8 mirror stainless for the roof.
    The mirror finish makes the popcorn 6% brighter looking.

Did you ever put this guide together? Went looking for it and didn't find it. No worries if you didn't but if you did I'm going to do it right away.

#737 5 years ago

Removed post because I found a better solution !

3 weeks later
    #738 5 years ago

Has anyone tried a bigger kit in a smaller popper? ie An 8oz kit in a 6oz popper. I ordered a case of 6oz MegaPop kits for my 6oz machine, and they sent me a case of 8oz kits by mistake. What a pain to send this back now

#739 5 years ago

Just don't pour in all 8oz of the corn.

Save the 2oz of corn from each packet for future use.

If you put too much corn in, the popper won't have enough BTUs. You will get more unpopped, 1/2 popped or smaller popped kernels.

#740 5 years ago

THanks Vid. Bit of a pain though wouldn't ya say? I picture a container with loose kernels hanging around that I'll likely never use. Guess I'll send it back 'sigh'. Of course I went with the kits for the convenience, and now its inconvenient LOL!

#741 5 years ago
    Quoted from shock_me:

THanks Vid. Bit of a pain though wouldn't ya say? I picture a container with loose kernels hanging around that I'll likely never use. Guess I'll send it back 'sigh'. Of course I went with the kits for the convenience, and now its inconvenient LOL!

Every 3 poppings, you will have enough to pop a batch.

Not too inconvenient.

If you don't want to do that, just throw them to the birds - they love that kind of stuff.

#742 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Every 3 poppings, you will have enough to pop a batch.
    Not too inconvenient.
    If you don't want to do that, just throw them to the birds - they love that kind of stuff.

Yeah for sure, not too terrible for a first world problem, but I'm assuming the salt to corn ratio will prolly be off all the time because its mixed into the corn, and I'll have to pick up extra oil for the third batch. Again, not a huge issue, but I'll send it back. Thanks for explaining the BTU relationship, I wasn't thinking about that at all. Makes sense.

#743 5 years ago

For the price of a box of mix, just get a 50lb bag of corn $23, a gallon of red Coconut oil $22, and a box of Flavorcol $3.50.

That's what I'd do.

#744 5 years ago

Wait hold the phone Vid! Upon closer inspection of the case I noticed that it said 8oz kit for 6oz poppers.

Then I checked a kit package inside and saw this:

image.jpg

I guess the 8oz was net weight lol! Crisis averted.

1 month later
    #745 5 years ago

Is this a decent starter machine? If not, can someone suggest a better one? I'm getting tired of eating popcorn off of my stove, just doesn't taste as good.

http://www.sears.com/great-northern-popcorn-all-star-gnp-450-4oz/p-00828487000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&pla&kpid=00828487000&kispla=00828487000P

Thanks!

#746 5 years ago

For that price, you are better off going with an 8oz model like this one ...

amazon.com link »

#747 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

For that price, you are better off going with an 8oz model like this one ...

I have the Costco versoin of this. It's great. it's nice and small. That's also the disadvantage. It's hard to move and scoop the finished popcorn around. I should have gotten the bigger one although I really can't afford the space...

#748 5 years ago

Man, the rust has started to take over on my < 6 month old machine. Even though I meticulously wipe off the excess moisture after every pop session. I'm contacting the company about it. A $300 popcorn machine shouldn't rust. This is bullshit.

I sent the company an email. I'll let you know their response;

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello,

Last May I purchased an 8oz Anytime Popcorn machine from The Canadian Popcorn Company. I use the machine every Friday evening to pop up a batch of popcorn for myself, my wife and our two kids. The machine is working well. However, I have started to notice the gears are rusting. Also, the metal roof inside is rusting and all of the finishing screws inside are also rusting. To combat this I have started wiping down the inside of the machine after I pop a batch with a dry cloth. I don’t understand why these components were not properly galvanised.

It has gotten to the point where I no longer want to use the product as I don’t want to serve my kids contaminated food. I also don’t want to make the problem any worse than it already is.

Have there been any recalls on this product? What are my options?

#749 5 years ago

Their response...

"The problem is very complex, if the machine isn't wiped down after each use the salt in the popcorn will start eating through the metal (Galvanized or not), If left overnight or over a few days the salt will start pitting the metal in the machine. There isn't any recalls or anything that can be done currently.

If you can send me over a picture of the machine I will see if I can get you a new top plate for the machine to replace it."

I get what they are saying, but this does not happen to all popcorn machines on the market. Also, the inside base is not rusting. It receives the most salt and it's polished steel.

#750 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

Man, the rust has started to take over on my < 6 month old machine. Even though I meticulously wipe off the excess moisture after every pop session. I'm contacting the company about it. A $300 popcorn machine shouldn't rust. This is bullshit.

I guess the bottom line is that you get what you pay for. I agree that $300 is a lot of money, but the fact of the matter is that the Great Northern machines are relatively inexpensive compared to some of the other brands. They may market their products as "commercial quality", but the reality is that they aren't built nearly as well as machines from companies like Gold Medal, Cretors or Paragon.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 114.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 14.95
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 8.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pinball Haus
    $ 43.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 165.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 47.00
    Playfield - Other
    Cento Creations
    $ 25.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 99.00
    Hardware
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 14.95
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Apron Envy
    $ 109.99
    $ 399.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Bent Mods
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 1518 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 31.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside