(Topic ID: 87365)

Pop-up Post between flippers (works when it wants to)

By Hoser

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by markmon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hi there pinheads. I have a small intermittent problem, and before I go replacing all kinds of random parts, I would like your advice.

Machine: Champion Pub

Problem:

- The Ball saving post occasionally does not pop up during SOME of the fights.

- It almost always pops up at the start of a game (Ball Launch). The problem seems to happen more often mid game at the start of SOME fights. I can play 3 games in a row and no problem ... then all of a sudden ... no post for a fight???

- The problem SEEMS to happen more frequently the longer the machine has been on.

- This is not a problem of the coil not holding. This is a problem of the Coil not even trying to fire in the first place! When not working ... it does not try to pop up at all.

- The lamp that goes on when the post is supposed to go up ALWAYS lights. So the lamp is getting the message.

*** This can be frustrating to my guests as the post is an integral part of trying to win fights. When one player gets the post in a fight ... and then another does not ... friends feel they got the shaft.

*** I have tried simple stuff like re-seating connectors and inspecting coils and such. Everything looks ok. I haven't re-flowed and solder yet. Has anyone else had a similar problem on a machine with a pop-up Post? Was the problem at the coil, wiring, the board, a connector, software???

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Hoser

#2 10 years ago

The plunger that pushes the post up rests on a grommet or coil stop. Be sure which ever it is, is there and clean and working.

LTG : )™

#3 10 years ago

What does it do in coil test?

#4 10 years ago

LTG to the rescue, again. Exactly what I was going to suggest.

#5 10 years ago

Also maybe check the connector and pins for cracked solder.

#6 10 years ago

Hi guys,

- Ok first off, there is no grommet under the plunger. There is an adjustable screw that it rests on. (So you can make the post flush with playfield when it is down).

- This is interesting. During the Seleniod Test (Repeat mode): The Post Power starts off firing fairly quickly, then begins to slow, then doesn't fire sometimes, then struggles to fire at all.

If I back out of the test menu ... Wait a couple of minutes ... Then go back in ... It improves a bit ... Then after a few repeats the coil struggles again.

Before I buy a new one, could it be the coil itself???? I know they rarely go bad. Just weird how it seems to get tired. Or is there something on a board that is fatiguing?

Thanks

#7 10 years ago

Bump.

Curious if anyone has suggestions after reading my last post.

I can also add that in Coil Test the coil always seems to make a noise (charge up?) just before it pops up. This noise happens ALWAYS ... Both when the post pops up and even when it does not. So it does seem to be getting the message to fire even when it doesn't.

Hope that helps you help me.

Thanks.

#8 10 years ago

Check the heat of the coil. Run the game until it acts up and immediately open the coin doorr and touch the coil. Is it burning hot? On my champ pub, it was doing the same thing until I replaced the coil with one with more windings.
Verify that there is no mechanical binding before swapping coil of course.

Quoted from molspin:

LTG to the rescue, again. Exactly what I was going to suggest.

Except (and no offense to you or LTG), its wrong in this case. There's no grommet here.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Stratford, CT
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Carrollton, TX
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pop-up-post-between-flippers-works-when-it-wants-to and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.