View topic image gallery

20160222_143449.jpg
20160222_143443.jpg
20160222_143327.jpg
Carbon__Ring_(resized).jpg
IMG_0435_(resized).JPG
IMG_6207_(resized).JPG
#1 8 years ago

Working on a '49 woodie with 10 passive bumpers and 2 pop bumpers.
All of the passive's have skirts with plastic prongs that engage a spoon switch under the play field. The two pop bumpers on the other hand, have skirts with metal prongs instead of plastic. There appears to be some thin bare wire soldered to the prong, then jumped to a wire in the harness.

Can someone explain what's happening here or if this is just a weird hack?
IMG_6207_(resized).JPGIMG_6207_(resized).JPG

#2 8 years ago

My 49 Double Shuffle has regular spoon switches on the pops...don't know if they were there originally but they look original. Is there any indication that the switches were removed?

#3 8 years ago

I guess it could work but the rest of the "switch" is missing.

IMG_0435_(resized).JPGIMG_0435_(resized).JPG

There should be a ring around the prong with the other wire connected to it.

#4 8 years ago

The pop bumper had a carbon/graphite ring (not available any more) as per the picture if different to the example in thread above. Easy to replace with a conventional spoon arrangement.

Carbon__Ring_(resized).jpgCarbon__Ring_(resized).jpg

#5 8 years ago

My 48 Ballerina has that too. if you need/want to replace that braided wire, use solder wick. solder the ends quickly tho, otherwise, the wick hardens, and wont let the prong move.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from SteveinTexas:

The pop bumper had a carbon/graphite ring (not available any more) as per the picture if different to the example in thread above. Easy to replace with a conventional spoon arrangement.
Carbon__Ring_(resized).jpg

Ok yeah there ARE two of those little ring things floating around on the floor of the cab!
I haven't had this old girl fired up yet, but I'm guessing that when the ball hits the skirt, the prong hits the ring, which fire the pop coil? Somehow?

SteveinTexas - Your ring wire looks to be screwed right into the wood. If so, how does this thing work!?

#7 8 years ago

Most interesting glad I popped in on this one. Pun intended.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Mahoyvan:

SteveinTexas - Your ring wire looks to be screwed right into the wood. If so, how does this thing work!?

Great you have the copper and graphite rings. The rings are fragile so keep them in a safe place before you reattach.

Yes that's correct the copper wire as I remember screws into the wood. and is soldered to the wire shown in the pic. When the ball hits the skirt the pin moves and contacts the graphite ring in the the copper wire making the switch and pop goes the bumper. the bumper arrangement is no different from more modern bumpers. If you want to replace with a more modern spoon arrangement you will add a conventional switch and add the wire to that in lieu of the copper wire.

Not recommending you change them but here is a link to a tutorial and parts list on how I did as well as converting the impulse flippers to conventional. All temporary so can be changed back. This is following a 'Ken Layton' topic linked in the attached thread. Just info around the subject.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/upgrading-williams-impulse-flippers-and-carbon-ring-bumpers-temporary#post-1347633

#9 8 years ago

Alright, I've taken a closer look after reading the comments.

GottGuy - No, there's no evidence of a spoon switch ever begin there. There is, however a leaf switch. There's also a tab on the pop bumper that hits this leaf switch when it fires. There's really no room on the PF to add a spoon, at least not on mine. PS - If you ever happen to open your game snap a pic of what yours looks like, I'd love to compare.

The missing piece to my puzzle is that the the carbon ring isn't just screwed into the wood but should be jumped to the bare common wire.

Then what Steve says makes sense: Ball hits skirt > Skirt/Prong hits carbon ring > Signalling the coil to fire on the pop.

#10 8 years ago

Im thinking you got an earlier production game, and that they switched the setup at some point. Mine looks original for sure.20160222_143443.jpg20160222_143443.jpg20160222_143449.jpg20160222_143449.jpg20160222_143327.jpg20160222_143327.jpg

#11 8 years ago

Would you happen to have the apron instruction card insert that you could scan for me.Mine is missing and I would like to reproduce one.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pop-skirt-with-metal-prong and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.