Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by D-Gottlieb
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Are there any downsides to using adhesive pop bumper mylars instead of the floating ones on Gottlieb EMs? I already replaced the old floating ones with the same and the bits of dirt and wax that gather are a little annoying..

#2 7 years ago

Floating ones cause major wear on the playfield.

Always use the adhesive ones.

#3 7 years ago

Thanks, Vid! I was just using the replacements offered from PBR to match the original. I am planning on stripping Volley and cc-ing it and then I will use the adhesive mylars. As for Top Score, I am gonna change them right away.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Floating ones cause major wear on the playfield.
Always use the adhesive ones.

But adhesive ones remove the paint off 70's Gottliebs? Did on one of my games.

I now use nothing, just wax.

#5 7 years ago

Upon removal, I assume? I have heard that using nothing is brutal to the playfield. Won't clearcoating should avoid that issue?

#6 7 years ago

I clean under the non-adhesive, I like them. I clean over the self-adhesive,like them too but do not look forward to pulling them.

#7 7 years ago

I've pulled the old solid color adhesive ones off of a 58 Sunshine using the freeze method and minimal alcohol to remove the small amount of stickiness left over. No major damage to the paint underneath. In fact, the color was more vibrant than the rest of the playfield.

I've also taken the floating one's off of 70's Gottliebs. It's up to you but, if you're going to replace them, I'd use the adhesive ones after a thorough cleaning and touch up if necessary. Personally, I just wax the area pretty well and leave them things off the playfield. It's in my home. How much is it going to wear with the little amount of play they might get compared to a commercial location? Not much. Just my opinion.

#8 7 years ago

Can't you just remove the floaters, clean and wax the area before putting the adhesive ones on so that they're easier to remove in the future?

#9 7 years ago

If you clear coat the playfield, you don't need the mylars, assuming you use auto clear.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

If you clear coat the playfield, you don't need the mylars, assuming you use auto clear.

I am going to use 2pac, so toss them?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 42.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 210.00
Cabinet Parts
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pop-mylars and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.