Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Pugsley
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Pop bumpers on future games”

• Yes keep them 77 votes
      66%
    • No i cant stand them 9 votes
      8%
    • I dont care either way 17 votes
      15%
    • Make a game with only pop bumpers and 5 flippers 13 votes
      11%

(116 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6483958 (resized).jpg
    detail (resized).jpg
    IMG_9586 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9585 (resized).JPG
    image-6 (resized).jpg
    image-7 (1) (resized).jpg
    IMG_3225 (resized).JPG
    PM-Pop (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    4 (resized).jpg
    image-8 (resized).jpg
    image-7 (resized).jpg
    big top (resized).jpg
    image-11 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Phbooms.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I see no point in pop bumpers on modern pins. I wish they would just leave them off most games. Old games without much besides targets and pops i understand but now with code being deeper i see a wasted space on playfields. I like to feel like im in control of the ball and my shots and if i miss a shot thats fine punish me but if pops randomly shoot the ball into the drain that sucks. What do you guys think?

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

I think pops are one of those elements of pinball where if you got rid of them, you'd feel like you lost an important part of pinball. Plus I like the way some newer games have taken advantage of pop bumpers (like matching pop bumper awards on GOT)

What games dont have pops? Shadow and No Fear are two that standout to me. Dwights slot machine pops is ok use of them i agree.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from hepgeek:

The problem is, no modern games are using them creatively (that I'm aware of). Just tuck them in the back corner for posterity. I love games with interesting pops. Fighting to save my ball from the Beast's Lair on Paragon. That Jupiter Crush custom pin that has a negative points pop right in the middle of the playfield. Those are some cool pops!

Thats what im saying, old games they worked and have purpose but newer games there just taking up playfield space.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Might as well get rid of flippers and slingshots too and go back to the days when the almighty plunge actually mattered.

What you talking about thats what the action button on the lockdown bars for

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Ya and the new SW could use some more space lol. Maybe take them out in that game and add another shot or gimmick

Definitely the worst part of SW

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Junk Yard, Swords of Fury, Judge Dredd, Fire!, Blackwater 100, and Pharoah, Solar Fire, and Champion Pub as well.
    Not all games need pops, but when they're integrated well, I think they're still fun to have incorporated.

Junkyard has that bare spot in back that should of had pops. I'll have to play SoF. What modern game thats not RZ has them intergrated in a fun way?

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from bpa:

Total Nuclear Annihilation

That has 1 pop bumper right? Game does look interesting so far

Out of the 15 games ive had here only game that had decent pops was IJ because of the INDY lanes above them. That was the best use of them on a modern pin for me. Spelling INDY with the pops on that game is alot of fun.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

White Water integrates the pops as "boulders." Really fun to hit a smooth sweeping shot, only to have the ball slam into bumpers like a raft hitting rapids. Each loop increases the value of the pops, and the "boulder bash" mode encourages nudging to keep the ball alive. Also, the pops act as a barrier for the "boomerang bend" shot. You need to have a perfect aim, otherwise the ball hits a bumper and dribbles out.
    Of course, I'm biased because I own the game, however, objectively speaking, it's among the few games I can recall that incorporate pops both thematically, and from a gameplay standpoint.

I'll play some more WW, sounds like they are used good there. Ive only played it a few times and havent gotten to know the game. Thanks!

Im not against pops totally just dont think they should be used just because there traditionally used. They need a purpose more then just randomly throwing the ball around with these deeper coded games. Cant change the past but would be nice if companys would at least make them have a purpose. I play TWD which is known for its code work, the pops are the worst part of the game to me. Not because of the SDTM they can give but because theres no way to code them to be fun if there just a nest of pops that dont do anything but pop the ball around between them and spit the ball out 1 exit whats the fun in that.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Phbooms.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pop-bumpers-whats-the-point?tu=Phbooms and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.