Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Pugsley
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Pop bumpers on future games”

• Yes keep them 77 votes
      66%
    • No i cant stand them 9 votes
      8%
    • I dont care either way 17 votes
      15%
    • Make a game with only pop bumpers and 5 flippers 13 votes
      11%

(116 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6483958 (resized).jpg
    detail (resized).jpg
    IMG_9586 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9585 (resized).JPG
    image-6 (resized).jpg
    image-7 (1) (resized).jpg
    IMG_3225 (resized).JPG
    PM-Pop (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    4 (resized).jpg
    image-8 (resized).jpg
    image-7 (resized).jpg
    big top (resized).jpg
    image-11 (resized).jpg
    There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 6 years ago

I see no point in pop bumpers on modern pins. I wish they would just leave them off most games. Old games without much besides targets and pops i understand but now with code being deeper i see a wasted space on playfields. I like to feel like im in control of the ball and my shots and if i miss a shot thats fine punish me but if pops randomly shoot the ball into the drain that sucks. What do you guys think?

#2 6 years ago

Disagree, I love pop bumpers and the randomness they add. I wish they were more open in most modern games so they could really push the ball in several different directions. The pops on RZ add immensely to the play and don't just rattle around and then come out a single exit.

Pinball does have skill, but the randomness is what makes it more enjoyable for different skill levels to play against each other. You never know exactly what is going to happen.

#3 6 years ago

I like pops as a place to deposit balls during multi ball

#4 6 years ago

I say yes to pops, but don't add them on to games where it doesn't make sense. I also love games with shots through the pop bumpers.

And yes it's a strategy during multiball. I love when you get a minute to breath and shoot for a jackpot or something

#5 6 years ago

I think pops are one of those elements of pinball where if you got rid of them, you'd feel like you lost an important part of pinball. Plus I like the way some newer games have taken advantage of pop bumpers (like matching pop bumper awards on GOT)

#6 6 years ago

Might as well get rid of flippers and slingshots too and go back to the days when the almighty plunge actually mattered.

#7 6 years ago

Take the glass off too, that thing always gets in my way

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from mkecasey:

I think pops are one of those elements of pinball where if you got rid of them, you'd feel like you lost an important part of pinball. Plus I like the way some newer games have taken advantage of pop bumpers (like matching pop bumper awards on GOT)

What games dont have pops? Shadow and No Fear are two that standout to me. Dwights slot machine pops is ok use of them i agree.

#9 6 years ago

The problem is, no modern games are using them creatively (that I'm aware of). Just tuck them in the back corner for posterity. I love games with interesting pops. Fighting to save my ball from the Beast's Lair on Paragon. That Jupiter Crush custom pin that has a negative points pop right in the middle of the playfield. Those are some cool pops!

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from hepgeek:

The problem is, no modern games are using them creatively (that I'm aware of). Just tuck them in the back corner for posterity. I love games with interesting pops. Fighting to save my ball from the Beast's Lair on Paragon. That Jupiter Crush custom pin that has a negative points pop right in the middle of the playfield. Those are some cool pops!

Thats what im saying, old games they worked and have purpose but newer games there just taking up playfield space.

#11 6 years ago

Here's one where a pop is in place of a sling. Talk about slam between the flippers or the left outlane. I'm sure there are others (Spanish Eyes) where one is between the flippers.

image13 (resized).jpgimage13 (resized).jpg

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phbooms:

What games dont have pops?

Judge Dredd, Swords of Fury, and Grand Lizard all come to mind...

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phbooms:

I see no point in pop bumpers on modern pins. I wish they would just leave them off most games. Old games without much besides targets and pops i understand but now with code being deeper i see a wasted space on playfields. I like to feel like im in control of the ball and my shots and if i miss a shot thats fine punish me but if pops randomly shoot the ball into the drain that sucks. What do you guys think?

Blasphemy!

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Might as well get rid of flippers and slingshots too and go back to the days when the almighty plunge actually mattered.

What you talking about thats what the action button on the lockdown bars for

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phbooms:

Thats what im saying, old games they worked and have purpose but newer games there just taking up playfield space.

Ya and the new SW could use some more space lol. Maybe take them out in that game and add another shot or gimmick

#16 6 years ago

Put them back in a prominent place in the playfield. I agree that on modern games they're just kind of hidden. People who don't play the old games don't know the thrill of having one in the middle of the playfield send the ball screaming SDTM.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Ya and the new SW could use some more space lol. Maybe take them out in that game and add another shot or gimmick

Definitely the worst part of SW

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phbooms:

What games dont have pops?

Junk Yard, Swords of Fury, Judge Dredd, Fire!, Blackwater 100, and Pharoah, Solar Fire, and Champion Pub as well.

Not all games need pops, but when they're integrated well, I think they're still fun to have incorporated.

#19 6 years ago

Williams FIRE, (or better known as Williams Firewood")has no pops. Enough said... keep the pops.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Junk Yard, Swords of Fury, Judge Dredd, Fire!, Blackwater 100, and Pharoah, Solar Fire, and Champion Pub as well.
    Not all games need pops, but when they're integrated well, I think they're still fun to have incorporated.

Junkyard has that bare spot in back that should of had pops. I'll have to play SoF. What modern game thats not RZ has them intergrated in a fun way?

#21 6 years ago

Total Nuclear Annihilation

#22 6 years ago

Beautiful in every way.

IMG_5169 (resized).JPGIMG_5169 (resized).JPG

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from bpa:

Total Nuclear Annihilation

That has 1 pop bumper right? Game does look interesting so far

Out of the 15 games ive had here only game that had decent pops was IJ because of the INDY lanes above them. That was the best use of them on a modern pin for me. Spelling INDY with the pops on that game is alot of fun.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phbooms:

What modern game thats not RZ has them intergrated in a fun way?

White Water integrates the pops as "boulders." Really fun to hit a smooth sweeping shot, only to have the ball slam into bumpers like a raft hitting rapids. Each loop increases the value of the pops, and the "boulder bash" mode encourages nudging to keep the ball alive. Also, the pops act as a barrier for the "boomerang bend" shot. You need to have a perfect aim, otherwise the ball hits a bumper and dribbles out.

Of course, I'm biased because I own the game, however, objectively speaking, it's among the few games I can recall that incorporate pops both thematically, and from a gameplay standpoint.

#25 6 years ago

F14 Tomcat only has one pop but it plays a huge roll in game play.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

White Water integrates the pops as "boulders." Really fun to hit a smooth sweeping shot, only to have the ball slam into bumpers like a raft hitting rapids. Each loop increases the value of the pops, and the "boulder bash" mode encourages nudging to keep the ball alive. Also, the pops act as a barrier for the "boomerang bend" shot. You need to have a perfect aim, otherwise the ball hits a bumper and dribbles out.
    Of course, I'm biased because I own the game, however, objectively speaking, it's among the few games I can recall that incorporate pops both thematically, and from a gameplay standpoint.

I'll play some more WW, sounds like they are used good there. Ive only played it a few times and havent gotten to know the game. Thanks!

Im not against pops totally just dont think they should be used just because there traditionally used. They need a purpose more then just randomly throwing the ball around with these deeper coded games. Cant change the past but would be nice if companys would at least make them have a purpose. I play TWD which is known for its code work, the pops are the worst part of the game to me. Not because of the SDTM they can give but because theres no way to code them to be fun if there just a nest of pops that dont do anything but pop the ball around between them and spit the ball out 1 exit whats the fun in that.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phbooms:

Im not against pops totally just dont think they should be used just because there traditionally used.

I agree. I look at AFM, and the pops really don't do much aside from awarding "super jets" and keeping the ball busy during multiball. Otherwise, there's really only one place for the ball to exit--to the kickout. They seem more like a "dead space filler" on the game.

However, on Scared Stiff, I think the pops are integrated well as "the monsters lab." It's not often the ball enters the area, and they do a good job at theming the area as big Tesla coils like you'd see in Frankenstein.

So for me, it depends on the game. I have to say though, I don't think I've ever really looked at a game and thought they should've had something other than pop bumpers in their place.

#28 6 years ago

If you don't like the pop bumpers, just lift the playfield, unbolt/unscrew them and leave that area of the playfield blank. Or add a toy or something if you want.

#29 6 years ago

A few games have as many as 5 or 6 pop bumpers.

#30 6 years ago

I love pop bumpers. Until I melt the end of the skirt/spoon area with the soldering iron. Doh.

IMG_3225 (resized).JPGIMG_3225 (resized).JPG

#31 6 years ago

I haven't played it yet, but watching the videos I think the new Aerosmith pinball makes good use of the pop bumpers - the ball is either in the pop triangle from the loop or it comes from the right and hits the pop bumpers on the other side - this together with the magnet makes for some interesting ball movement.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

I love pop bumpers. Until I melt the end of the skirt/spoon area with the soldering iron. Doh.

Pop bumpers are probably my least favorite assembly to service. I wish there was any easy way to replace the skirt. On some games, you have to take off a lot of parts just to get at the pop bumpers.

#33 6 years ago

My favorite game for use of the bumpers is Ghostbusters. When the ball is up there, you'll definitely be looking at the screen and assessing whether you have lined-up three features or not. I like bumpers that do something that moves the game along, even if it is random. Not just as "a place to put the ball."

#34 6 years ago

One of the best sounds and feel to me is when the pinball goes crazy inside pop bumpers - love it!

#35 6 years ago

I think the cluster of three pops (especially in a corner) is wasted. Throw a pop or two randomly around the rest of the playfield. Look at lots of the gottlieb widebodies, or something like Viking with the pops above the outlanes, or TNA. Single pops creatively placed can be really fun.

Shots through the pops are good, mostly because it means the pops are directly on the playfield, so you have more chance to bump into them and for the ball to fly out at weird angles. Aerosmith does it well with even using the other side of the pops to bounce the ball around the lock shots

#36 6 years ago

I don't think we need to get rid of pop bumpers, but perhaps they need some innovation? They've hardly changed at all since the 60's (variations of the entire mech moving like EATPM or woz). Stern orbitor tried something new by simply making them spinning rubber discs. Maybe instead of firing the ball flat on the surface, you have a mech that lifts the ball (so it's like it's tossing it rather than bumping it).

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

A few games have as many as 5 or 6 pop bumpers.

And at least one has seven.

image-2 (resized).jpgimage-2 (resized).jpg

#38 6 years ago

What I'd like to see is them bring back the passive bumper. I don't think they've used those since the 60s.

image-2 (1) (resized).jpgimage-2 (1) (resized).jpg

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I don't think we need to get rid of pop bumpers, but perhaps they need some innovation?

I always had this idea when I first played Mustang and IJ4 where you have those captive ball areas. I thought it would be cool to have a feature where a captive ball could be knocked into a small " single pop arena" and pop hits could be counted this way for bigger rewards.

1) It's something different.
    2) It's harder to hit then most simple dumps into a pop nest.
    3) It could fit a similar footprint, perhaps smaller.
    4) It would cost less.
    5) You could design it where it's tucked underneath a ramp entrance or top corners of the PF - the two least commonly used areas in modern designs.

To-Scale absolutely money idea, technical drawing - Rev. 0 (resized).JPGTo-Scale absolutely money idea, technical drawing - Rev. 0 (resized).JPG

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

I thought it would be cool to have a feature where a captive ball could be knocked into a small " single pop arena" and pop hits could be counted this way for bigger rewards.

Gotcha covered. less the captive ball...

image-11 (resized).jpgimage-11 (resized).jpg

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Gotcha covered. less the captive ball...

Very nice. Wico's Big Top and the previously mentioned Beast's Lair both have single pops in an "arena" too, and I'm sure there are some others as well. But many of those examples just feel like a place for a passing ball to roll into and not a dedicated accuracy (and power) shot, which my captive ball idea above introduces.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

What I'd like to see is them bring back the passive bumper. I don't think they've used those since the 60s.

Meteor has 2.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phbooms:

What games dont have pops? Shadow and No Fear are two that standout to me. Dwights slot machine pops is ok use of them i agree.

My BW100 has no pops either.

#44 6 years ago

Pop bumpers are great when they're integrated well into the rules or into the game's actual flow/progression. Many of them are pointless, however, and designers throw them in there just because they feel that they need to.

The pop bumpers on Ghostbusters are great, because there is a risky exit, but not impossible to save (as opposed to cheap drains out of the pops on The Walking Dead). But man, I don't like the random pop bumper awards. It's really annoying to see those random awards mess up scoring balance in competition.

I agree that passive bumpers should get a look in modern pinball. I would also like to see less magnet bash toys and more exposed pop bumpers (as opposed to always putting them in a nest).

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

my captive ball idea above introduces.

GNR has a dedicated captive ball into a pop bumper area if that is what you mean.

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

GNR has a dedicated captive ball into a pop bumper area if that is what you mean.

True, but in GnR, the exposed edge of the pop is a means to help you spell DUFF... kind of like how the slings in the Star Child area of Stern Kiss are the means to help you spell STAR. Those mechs aren't the actual goal, the standups are. In my idea you'd have to hit the captive ball enough to send it to the top, and then whatever you get from the pop (which is my actual target), you get.

But similar to the DUFF shot on GnE, being a captive ball design, you don't have to sit there and scratch your ass while you wait for the ball to come out of a pop nest, the ball is already back to the flippers while the captive ball is up in the pop arena. Both are good examples of something that IMO would be great on a Steve Ritchie game as it would keep stuff flying that much more.

#47 6 years ago

Your setup looks pretty cool, but in the end it comes down to how much playfield real estate it would actually take up. But I like it!

#48 6 years ago

Nested pops can be ok if incorporated into the rules in a meaningful way, ala Monster Bash. If they are only used for nominal points then they can be essentially "pointless".

#49 6 years ago

I would like to see more variety in how they are used. The 3 pops in a confined space design approach is just too lazy.

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

I thought it would be cool to have a feature where a captive ball could be knocked into a small " single pop arena" and pop hits could be counted this way for bigger rewards

Like on Hollywood Heat?

image-11 (resized).jpgimage-11 (resized).jpg

EDIT: Nevermind didn't look at your drawing. I like your drawing better. Requires a hard shot to get the ball into the pop bumper area.

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pop-bumpers-whats-the-point/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.