7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by kse001
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kse001.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I'm working on putting a WPC-95 machine back together and two of the pop bumpers are not behaving. In coil test, they fire but then the pops are stuck in the down position. The problem is mechanical, since I can kill the power and the bumpers stay down and a gentle touch on either bumper (with power off or on) causes them to return to the normal position. I've examined them pretty thoroughly and I can't seem to find anything rubbing or binding.

The bumpers were completely cleaned/rebuild during the teardown, so switches are gapped properly and centered properly, and no flattened plunger/stop or bad sleeves here. I understand that parts can get magnetized, as discussed in this similar post from a couple years ago https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sticking-pop-bumpers. What I'm wondering is whether that could still be the case here given that I've held very small screws, washers, etc by both the coil stop and the plunger and neither seem to show any magnetic attraction. I have the driver board out now and am waiting on some replacement electronics, so I can't easily test solutions but wanted to see if there were any thoughts so that if I do have to order some new plungers or whatever I can do it now rather than waiting.

Thanks for any experience you can share.

Kyle

#3 7 years ago

Thanks for the response. No, I don't notice any resistance at all when I manually operate the bumpers, and I cannot get them to stick when I manually push them down either.

During troubleshooting I had removed one of the brackets to check the magnetism theory, and when I reassembled it I jiggled things around a bit to make sure nothing felt like it was binding, but I didn't leave anything loose. I'll try loosening the nuts a bit and see what happens when I get the PDB back in the game and can test it properly.

1 week later
    #5 7 years ago

So, after disassembling and reassembling the pops several times, I noticed the coil sleeves I had received were longer than usual. I didn't see how that would interfere, but lacking any better ideas I trimmed about 1/8" off. After doing so all of the pop bumpers tested just fine. Never ran into this before so I thought I'd post in case it helps someone else someday.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kse001.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pop-bumpers-stuck?tu=kse001 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.