You

Linked Games

• 21 Williams, 1960

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

monthly_09_2012-thumb-da522957047b78d86b218834cb820ded-cabgremlins.jpg
Gremlin.JPG

#1 7 years ago

I've been working on a 1960 Williams 21. There are still a few things that need attention but I am finally close enough to play test it. When the ball hits the center pop it triggers the tilt. The other 2 pops seem to work without any trouble. Upon visual inspection coil looks fine. I'm sure I will figure this out but I didn't have time to dig into it this weekend. Now I'm at work thinking about it and was wondering if anyone else had ever encountered a similar issue.

Oh yeah, I did check the tilts switches and I'm sure this isn't a vibration issue.

Any input is appreciated.
Alex

#2 7 years ago

If you slowly, manually lower the center pop ring, does it still do it?

Or, with the playfield up, if you pull the center pop ring down, does it still tilt?

Does the center pop bumper run through a pop bumper relay, or is it just direct through the solenoid?

#3 7 years ago

Sorry Dirt, I haven't had a chance to check yet. I was running an errand.

I'm pretty sure it has it's own relay. I'll probably get a chance to poke around at it later this week.
Thanks,
Alex

#4 7 years ago

Now that's interesting....I would like to see what caused this
(And I'm not going to suggest anything, because I don't have "Pinball Master" by my name! )

#5 7 years ago

Had the same on a Capersville, was a toasted coil.
Instead of blowing a fuse the game relay falls of tilting the ball.
Replace the bumper coil and try again.

#6 7 years ago

Yeah, I think you may be right. I think that is where Dirt was going with manually lowering the pop bumper ring too. The coil looks fine but it seems like a likely culprit. I probably won't have a chance to mess with it until Wednesday evening.

#7 7 years ago

Ok, I got a free moment tonight. I manually lowered the pop bumper ring and no tilt. Nice. So I found the pop bumper relays under the playfield. I manually triggered one and the the two outside pops activated. I manually triggered the other and the center pop activated. No tilt. Odd. Lowered the playfield and played a couple balls, no tilt. It seems to have fixed itself?

Thanks to those that commented.
Alex

#8 7 years ago

Yep, that manual pop bumper lowering trick works every time!

(as if!)

Maybe something got dislodged or unstuck in the process of raising/lowering the playfield.

#9 7 years ago

Gremlin.JPG

#10 7 years ago

Don't say gremlin! I hate these mystery fixes. I'd prefer knowing exactly what the problem was. I love my Williams but I swear they have more weird problems than the Gottlieb games I've owned.

And Dirt I assume you wanted to me to lower the pop ring to see if anything was binding, melted coil etc.? Otherwise it's like the Bud Light NFL commercial. "It's only weird if it doesn't work."

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Don't say gremlin! I hate these mystery fixes.

I have a Bally that would take a fast count down on the bonus stepper unit and so i cleaned and lubed it but it was still acting up but after a lot of related contact cleaning and playing it finally fixed itself. Go figure.
I hate gremlins too,especially the ones built by Amc.

#12 7 years ago

It's always nice when it works but there is no satisfaction in not knowing. Not to mention the fear of an issue returning.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

And Dirt I assume you wanted to me to lower the pop ring to see if anything was binding, melted coil etc.?

Nope, just simple isolation (i.e., was it the ring lowering and touching something, was it the relay coil firing, etc.). Seemed like a simple enough place to start.

#14 7 years ago

Ugh, I better polish my nudging skills. I have only played a few balls so far but I get the impression this one is going to be brutal.

#15 7 years ago

monthly_09_2012-thumb-da522957047b78d86b218834cb820ded-cabgremlins.jpg

would love to try that game sometime

--Jeff

6 years later
#16 1 year ago

Resurrecting this if anyone has run into this and can provide information. Started happening to me on a Xenon. Coil looks good. Moves freely, clean. Plastic spoon and switch check out.

#17 1 year ago

Check the diodes on all the tilt switches.

#18 1 year ago

You'll get better replies on one of the Solid State forums. This is Electro Mechanical.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-efficiently-ask-for-pinball-repair-help-em

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from HowardR:

You'll get better replies on one of the Solid State forums. This is Electro Mechanical.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-efficiently-ask-for-pinball-repair-help-em

This is true, but my advice was in response to the question on xenon (solid state) and the diodes on the tilt switches is the first thing I would look at if I was having an issue like he described.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Tools
PinDoc Restorations
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!