(Topic ID: 27347)

Pop bumper switch - When to add a capacitor?

By Nighthawk128

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

switch.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I've been working on a 1977 Charlies Angels machine, replaced the pop bumper assemblies completely using all new parts. Bumper switch part# B-17108 from marco, the difference between it and most originals is small gold plated contacts. I've messed with the switch alot and everything I do the ball still falls flat on them, barely poping the ball. Considering the violent spark generated you'd think it would be way better like all other machines I've seen. Not only that I have to clean the contact after 15 mins of game play or NO bumping is the result from very weak.

I was thinking of adding a capacitor between the lugs but no idea how to size a capacitor. Or if even that's a concern. Or maybe something else is going on, I say this because the power for the bumpers is on the same line for the slingshots and the flipper coils. All the coils on this line don't seem to have FULL capacity but it's 24Volts no matter what. I'm going to test the transformer against the same transformer I have in a 1977 Cleopatra machine to see if reading 16VAC on one of it's outputs is proper. How it turns that into 24VDC out of the Bridge recifiers is beyond me.

Interesting dilema and these damn pop bumpers are frustrating.

Thank you!

switch.jpgswitch.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Gold contacts are low voltage contacts. They should not be used to replace high voltage contacts (if that's what your game originally had).

Make sure the prong on the bumper skirt is centered in the spoon. It also should be touching the spoon when centered. Then adjust the gap on the contacts. More often than not weak pop bumpers are a result of adjustment.

#3 11 years ago

Thank you Terry, that makes sense and made a call to get the right switches at pbresource. Steve Young confirmed what you said, I used low voltage switches and they simply don't work. Similar switches I used on the sling shots, have new ones of those coming too! Be like a new game when I'm done!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pop-bumper-switch-when-to-add-a-capacitor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.