Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Arcade
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

7E3F5036-D42C-43C7-95CF-ED5D7A0308A7 (resized).jpeg
5A55BCC1-F75E-49B5-BB7C-3CCD249DAFAF (resized).jpeg

#1 6 months ago

Ordered in a new pop bumper switch stack for a Spirit of 76 from PBR.
But on all my original stacks I have 1 lug in the spoon section and 2 lugs on the lower section. The stack from PBR is the opposite.
Do I need to take the entire stack apart and move the metal leafs or is there a way to just wire this up?
Photos of original switch stack wired up and the old and new stacks side by side.

5A55BCC1-F75E-49B5-BB7C-3CCD249DAFAF (resized).jpeg7E3F5036-D42C-43C7-95CF-ED5D7A0308A7 (resized).jpeg
#2 6 months ago

I also find it weird that the spoon section on all 3 pops even works with only 1 wire hooked to it. How is that even making a connection when the spoon is pressed?
But it obviously does because the other two are hooked up like this and work fine.

#3 6 months ago

The other wire is soldered on the metal base making contact with the "spoon" (common), if I am not mistaken.
So that 2nd lug was not needed to make contact.

#4 6 months ago
Quoted from wizardblom:

The other wire is soldered on the metal base making contact with the "spoon" (common), if I am not mistaken.
So that 2nd lug was not needed to make contact.

Maybe this will help answer some of your questions.

Your 3 Gottlieb pop bumpers all fire at the same time regardless of which one is activated, which means there has to be a "common" connection between them. So before you disconnect anything, locate and note the common wires.

I checked the switch stack config on my '76 Surf Champ (2 pops) and they match your old switches -- not your new ones. That's really weird because the 1978 GTB parts catalog shows PBR sent you the correct listed replacement -- part # B-17108/09 -- which appears to be the wrong part shown in the catalog diagram? IDK.

Keep in mind that the screws in these stack switches serve a true "electro-mechanical" function: as fasteners and as an insulated conductor through the switch body from the top leaf to bottom leaf. This should help you as you figure out your new connection scheme. (Both of mine have conductors soldered to each of 3 lugs with one wire as a the "common" carrier.) Be sure to double-check your schematic.

#6 6 months ago

According to the 1976 parts catalog, you should have # B-8704 or # B-8549 switch assembly. These have the single lug spoon switch with the other blade grounded to the mounting frame. 8704 and 8549 are identical except for the direction the mounting bracket is installed.

#7 6 months ago

Thanks guys.
I will call Steve at PBR Monday and see what he suggests.
I did read through the linked thread and while it was the exact same issue I am having it was never clearly resolved because the guy decided to just use his old switch anyway. This is not an option for me though.

#8 6 months ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

According to the 1976 parts catalog, you should have # B-8704 or # B-8549 switch assembly. These have the single lug spoon switch with the other blade grounded to the mounting frame. 8704 and 8549 are identical except for the direction the mounting bracket is installed.

That's very interesting because the 1978 GTB parts catalog, which covers machines from Jan 1973 through 1977, lists both Surf Champ and Spirit as relevant models for that catalog. Further, neither of those parts you suggest are even listed in that '78 catalog! Steve Young probably knows this, and if he doesn't, I'm sure he'd want to know.

#9 6 months ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Thanks guys.
I will call Steve at PBR Monday and see what he suggests.
I did read through the linked thread and while it was the exact same issue I am having it was never clearly resolved because the guy decided to just use his old switch anyway. This is not an option for me though.

Please post what you find out from PBR. BTW, you're doing it right replacing the switch/switches. That blob of solder at the top end of the leaf in your pic implies previous issues with a loose or lost contact.

#10 6 months ago
Quoted from fixintoplay:

That's very interesting because the 1978 GTB parts catalog, which covers machines from Jan 1973 through 1977, lists both Surf Champ and Spirit as relevant models for that catalog. Further, neither of those parts you suggest are even listed in that '78 catalog! Steve Young probably knows this, and if he doesn't, I'm sure he'd want to know.

A great many of parts catalogs (regardless of manufacturer) have gremlins sneak in, have errors, or have omissions. This case looks like an omission.

2 weeks later
#11 6 months ago

Long story short.
Steve at PBR sent me the correct part
And it works great.
Correct part # is GTB- 8704

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stafford Township, NJ
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Flashinstinct
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 12.95
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 79.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 14.95
Various Novelties
Allteksystems
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 0.10
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Stuff
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 89.99
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside