• Latest reply 6 years ago by CUJO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

shortshaft (resized).jpg
longshaft (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CUJO.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I got a replacement new pop bumper ring assembly to replace broken one in my WCS94 and noticed it is shorter than the other two in the game.

I also was watching Ray's Pop Bumper Video #11 and at the 5:30 mark they talk about two different lengths.
They mention that to make sure to use the right one but they don't go into detail what it would do if you don't.

Below are pics of mine after installing in pin. The one showing more threads thru the lock nut are they way the other two are.

longshaft (resized).jpglongshaft (resized).jpg

shortshaft (resized).jpgshortshaft (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Either one seems to work in your game.
The game doesn't know if one has 3 extra threads sticking out.
LTG : )

I dunno if it works or not. I haven't turned on the game since the repair to try it.
I was trying to find out the answer to the 5:30 mark on the video first.

It may work fine but if the overall length is 1/16" shorter than the other ring assemblies, then when the coil fires and pulls the ring down, I might expect some sort of difference. Ray on the video said to make sure you used the correct ring assembly. Must have said that for some reason and I'm just trying to learn what that reason is.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Interesting as PBResource shows Williams used the same rod and ring on all their games from the 50s until the end and that is what I have found while working on them.
As long as the unthreaded part of the shaft is the same length, it should be OK. I don't know what the other one in the video is he is talking about as those Williams ones are pretty much generic replacements for most pop bumpers.

I got a lower right pop bumper switch error about a week ago that started this whole ordeal.
When I lifted the playfield, the metal yoke was broken. I've replaced these before on my BOP so I'm familiar with the process.

Weird that the old pop bumper ring assy had both ends where the threads are partially sheared off. I found the two washers on the cabinet floor but I must have looked everywhere for over an hour and couldn't find the (2) lock nuts with parts of the threaded shafts in them.
Looked under the transformer wood shelf, in and ouside the speaker magnet, on the magnasave magnet, in the wires, everywhere. I'm thinking this pop bumper has been kinda free floating for years without locknuts. The remaining threads on the old ring assy are practically smooth.

I tried the game out 20 minutes ago and I can see an amazing difference when the ball enters the pops area now.

Thanks for you input on this topic.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 85.00
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CUJO.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pop-bumper-ring-w-2-different-length-shafts?tu=CUJO and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.