(Topic ID: 20694)

Pop Bumper Rebuild - Where do I snip the lamp?

By Pinballrus

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Napabar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Rebuilding the pop bumpers on DM and got stuck when I didn't know where the best place to cut the wire for the lamp is? Can someone point me in the right direction? Seems like the type of thing that could potentially be much more difficult if I do it wrong.

Thanks!

#2 11 years ago

Can you desolder it so you don't shorten the wire too much?

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballrus:

Rebuilding the pop bumpers on DM and got stuck when I didn't know where the best place to cut the wire for the lamp is? Can someone point me in the right direction? Seems like the type of thing that could potentially be much more difficult if I do it wrong.
    Thanks!

Depends, are you planning to reuse the sockets or replace them?
    If reusing cut where the wire is soldered to the tin lead and work the staples up just enough to slide the wires out, this way you can slide them back under the staples and push them back in.
    If replacing cut them at the bend where they come through the PF and do the same thing for the new ones.

#4 11 years ago

Thanks, I think I was mostly thrown off by the tin leads - I'll give it a shot this evening. I'm excited about having pops that really POP!

#5 11 years ago

If you can pull the leads out from under the staples, you should cut it far from the lamp, which will give you more room to work. If you can't, cut it at the first staple, and be prepared for some burn marks if you're not careful.

4 months later
    #6 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Depends, are you planning to reuse the sockets or replace them?
    If reusing cut where the wire is soldered to the tin lead and work the staples up just enough to slide the wires out, this way you can slide them back under the staples and push them back in.
    If replacing cut them at the bend where they come through the PF and do the same thing for the new ones.

I'm replacing here. I don't see any slack that would enable me to cut them where they come through at the playfield. Also, if I cut the news one at the same spot, how to I re-attach? Solder?

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from Napabar:

I'm replacing here. I don't see any slack that would enable me to cut them where they come through at the playfield. Also, if I cut the news one at the same spot, how to I re-attach? Solder?

Yes, feed through and cut a little longer overlap and solder.
    I like to lift the staples a little and slide the new legs back to the braided wire where possible then push the staples back in with a punch.
    You can also use short wood screws and washers to secure the leads if you can't get a staple in there.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Yes, feed through and cut a little longer overlap and solder.
    I like to lift the staples a little and slide the new legs back to the braided wire where possible then push the staples back in with a punch.
    You can also use short wood screws and washers to secure the leads if you can't get a staple in there.

If I'm lifting the staples, why not just pull the whole thing out? (Noob here).

#9 11 years ago

ideally your replacing it with a better design
    http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/24-8776

and if your keeping the existing just desolder it, if you have to clip anything your gonna have to "hack" in new wires anyway as you just cut it too short.

its easy but not "Fast" work.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Napabar:

If I'm lifting the staples, why not just pull the whole thing out? (Noob here).

You can do that but the tin leads have to be straightened and all the solder removed from the end to pull it through the pop body.
    I always replace the socket and cut the lead in sections so I can fold it and use it to lift the staple.
    If it is too tight and no room to work overlapping and soldering works but where possible I like to go full tin lead back to the braided wire.

#11 11 years ago

Basically, I was replacing the bulb, and the plastic housing around the lamp socket broke apart. I cleaned out the broken plastic housing, and now all that's left are the 2 metal "sockets" which aren't study enough now to accept a bulb. I assume I'll have to replace the whole lamp...just wanted to figure out the best way to do it, without taking the damn Pop apart....

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pop-bumper-rebuild-where-do-i-snip-the-lamp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.