3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Don_C
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

q6 (resized).png
    driver board map q (resized).jpg
    timewarpsolinoidmap (resized).jpg
    burnt transistor (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Ugh. I have been rebuilding the pop bumpers on my Time Warp and got so good by the 4th one I accidentally attached the wires to the coil backwards.

Doh!

I powered up and everything looked great, started a game to test the pops and noticed that one wasn't working and an awful smell. I turned it off immediately and took a look under the playfield, realized the error and put the wires back the way they are supposed to be on the coil. That one pop doesn't work any longer. I presume I damaged something on the driver board. Suggestions on what to do?

#2 3 years ago

You likely immediately blew out the driver transistor for that coil the instant power was applied to the backwards wired coil.

#3 3 years ago

Yes the bumper driver transistor probably blew. The solenoid fuse (F2) should have blown first. Check that it is of correct value - 2.5A slo blo. Unfortunately sometimes though the transistor blows first, protecting the fuse.

#4 3 years ago

Replace the diode on tbe coil as well!

#5 3 years ago

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! After some research and daylight, I believe this is the transistor I blew (cracked in half and burned looking) - so if I replace that and the coil diode, I should be good to go again?

burnt transistor (resized).jpgburnt transistor (resized).jpgdriver board map q (resized).jpgdriver board map q (resized).jpgtimewarpsolinoidmap (resized).jpgtimewarpsolinoidmap (resized).jpg
    #6 3 years ago

If Q6 is split in half, you may have additional failures going down the whole line. I recently had a bad diode on a pop coil, and had all of Q6, Q5, IC8 and IC6 needing to be replaced.

q6 (resized).pngq6 (resized).png
    #7 3 years ago
    Quoted from MeEtc:

If Q6 is split in half, you may have additional failures going down the whole line. I recently had a bad diode on a pop coil, and had all of Q6, Q5, IC8 and IC6 needing to be replaced.
    [quoted image]

Thank you. Would you suggest I start by replacing the coil diode on that pop and Q6 transistor and see if it works (right now if you turn it on everything works perfectly except that pop bumper... and Q6 gets instantly super hot as compared to its neighbors - I have left the machine off until I get parts). I ordered Q5 and Q6 but didn't think about ic 6, 7, 8 or 9. How will I know if I need those and which?

#8 3 years ago

Start by replacing the coil diode, Q6 and Q5. If still doesn't work, socket and replace IC8, then IC6 if still nothing.

If you break off Q6 from the board, you can still use everything else in the game until parts are replaced.

#9 3 years ago

If you don't want to break a transistor off the board, just remove the wire from the coil lug that has the single wire (not daisy chained). You can then play the game w/ one less pop.

Don C.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pop-bumper-rebuild-fail-wired-coil-backward-now-doesn-t-work-?hl=tuukka and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.