Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by EMsInKC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A1CE14FC-2382-433C-B3C3-A3A628F55807 (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

1. I've read Vid's guide.

2. Four out of five of my pop bumpers have the correct coil- g 22 550. One of them is labeled A 22 550. What's the difference?

3. Vid recommends getting new spoons on the theory that the plastic spoons get a worn spot and the bumper will always favor that spot. The spoons on my machine (Heat Wave) are metal. OK to keep them? (Haven't taken them apart yet... trying to get the parts ordered so I don't have five disassembled pop bumpers on my bench for a week while the parts get here.)

4. Heat wave has two sets of pop bumpers that trigger together (two reds that are paired, and two greens). Why are they paired up?

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

4. Heat wave has two sets of pop bumpers that trigger together (two reds that are paired, and two greens). Why are they paired up?

That saved the manufacturer money for wire and relays.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

1. I've read Vid's guide.
    2. Four out of five of my pop bumpers have the correct coil- g 22 550. One of them is labeled A 22 550. What's the difference?
    3. Vid recommends getting new spoons on the theory that the plastic spoons get a worn spot and the bumper will always favor that spot. The spoons on my machine (Heat Wave) are metal. OK to keep them? (Haven't taken them apart yet... trying to get the parts ordered so I don't have five disassembled pop bumpers on my bench for a week while the parts get here.)

The one coil has the same power but a different frame size. That's the difference between A and G.

The metal spoons are fine. The only reason to replace one is if one breaks. I don't know how a plastic spoon could get a wear spot in it since the skirt end sits in the center and goes in all directions but whatever. No need to replace metal spoons.

Howard answered the other question. The didn't always do it. Sometimes each bumper has its own relay. I don't care for the paired situation but that's what they did.

#4 3 years ago

Thanks to you both.

#5 3 years ago

Vid's guide is for more modern assemblies such as on solid state games. I have actually encountered many times where a plastic spoon has worn a hole into itself (rendering it useless because the skirt stem gets stuck in the hole). Sometimes the plastic spoon "warps" causing inconsistent sensitivity all around the skirt (sometimes it takes harder hits to trigger the bumper and sometimes it's too sensitive).

Those problems does not occur with metal spoons so you are fine. Just clean out any old/dried out grease/gunk in the metal spoon with a q-tip soaked with either lighter fluid or alcohol. Then you can regrease the cup lightly with Super Lube synthetic grease.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Then you can regrease the cup lightly with Super Lube synthetic grease.

Good to know!

#7 3 years ago

When I start disassembling pop bumpers I tend to keep one together to use as a reference in case all the photos I took don't show how they go back together again. Photos are nice, but having a physical example is always better for me.

I can't wait to see what your game looks like when you're done.

#8 3 years ago

One last question... Vid suggests buying new rings, which he says will have to be polished. Do the new ones these days (from PBR) have to be polished? Why not just polish up the ones I have? They look fairly decent (looking at them on the pop bumpers). How do I polish them?

Quoted from Peruman:

I can't wait to see what your game looks like when you're done.

I don't have the skills or the workroom to do the wood working to make the game a thing of beauty. My goal is to get it to play a wicked good game. My love is a game with a good set of pop bumpers. So far, I've cleaned the score reels, totally restored the thermometer unit and the thermometer band Heat Wave, cleaned the flipper coil assemblies, cleaned the moving target assemblies so now they work well, and cleaned and waxed the playfield. Got rid of two nasty 25¢ stickers that were on the apron; installed all new silicone rubbers and sweet mirror finish pinballs from Titan.

Still have to do the pop bumpers, clean / replace lamp sockets as needed, and raise up one sunken insert. This weekend's project is cleaning the match unit. That will be the last of the big tasks, until the pop bumpers. Then I'll get to really play

I'm thinking of replacing the post screws with shiny new stainless, or going to the posts that need acorn caps, and doing stainless, but I don't know about that on this age machine.

#9 3 years ago

The manufacturers usually paired pop bumpers to save money, yes, but where it wouldn't adversely affect the overall action of the pops, i.e. not wiring two pops together which were right next to each other which would totally screw up the action with the ball flying off one pop and then hitting the second pop while it's ring may not be all the way back up.

#10 3 years ago

I re-use the old rings and polish them on the buffing wheel. Inspect these two areas for breakage first though.

A1CE14FC-2382-433C-B3C3-A3A628F55807 (resized).jpegA1CE14FC-2382-433C-B3C3-A3A628F55807 (resized).jpeg
    #11 3 years ago

jeffc i have a polishing wheel for my Dremmel. Can I use any available polishing paste or is there a grit or type that's recommended?

#12 3 years ago

I use mother’s mag and aluminum polish and it does a great job on the rings with just a rag. One other thing I have rarely run into is that the posts can get bent and bind going through the playfield. Make sure the springs that push the rings back up are good too. That makes a difference in good pop action. Sounds like you’re well on your way.

Dave

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

jeffc i have a polishing wheel for my Dremmel. Can I use any available polishing paste or is there a grit or type that's recommended?

Mother’s is what I use when I polish by hand. I’m still getting familiar with buffing on my bench buffer so just using the rouge materials it came with.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

I use mother’s mag and aluminum polish and it does a great job on the rings with just a rag. One other thing I have rarely run into is that the posts can get bent and bind going through the playfield. Make sure the springs that push the rings back up are good too. That makes a difference in good pop action. Sounds like you’re well on your way.
    Dave

@undrdog, I use the same process Dave does and the rings come out great

#15 3 years ago

Thanks! Going to put springs on my shopping list.
    Gonna get new sleeves & springs.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Thanks! Going to put springs on my shopping list.
    Gonna get new sleeves & springs.

Smart move. Don't forget to buy one pop bumper ring replacement. You''ll be grateful you have it, even if all of yours are fine. Beats making a new order for one broken ring. It also gives you the ability to replace a beat one, or just a good ring for the future.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Don't even waste time using a Dremel for buffing a pop bumper ring. Too small and slow. You need a table top buffer and rouge to polish.

You can totally hand buff, with some off the shelf mother's mag polish or the like and get a decent shine. But it'll never get the shine/polish a bench buffer would achieve. Don't get hung up on it, but a Dremel would just make a mess and you'll be better off hand polishing. If you continue restoring metal, spend $100 on a bench top buffer and $100 on wheels and rouge.

#18 3 years ago

Jigs thanks for steering me clear of the Dremel.

My goal is to get the pops smooth so they work real well. I haven’t taken the pops apart yet, but I hope they are in good enough condition that hand polishing will do.

#19 3 years ago

I prefer to replace the rings with new on older games, reason being is that years of hitting often old and chipped balls marks them and re-polishing reduces the already worn plating.
    Just my thoughts....

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from Vintage-Pinball:

I prefer to replace the rings with new on older games,

Will new rings have to be polished with a bench machine that I don’t have?

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Will new rings have to be polished with a bench machine that I don’t have?

No. If you really want to you can do it by hand

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pop-bumper-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.