(Topic ID: 21343)

pop bumper locks on when machine is powered up. Now fixed!

By boostedskex

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Betelgeuse
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1175.JPG
IMG_1161.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider boostedskex.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Hi guys. One of my pop bumpers pulls down and locks on when the game is powered up. Let me give some background. A few months ago I smelled something and then saw smoke so I turned the machine off. I found a burned coil on a pop bumper and burned transistor on the power driver board. So i installed a new Rottendog power driver board and finally today I installed a new coil from marco. I turned the machine on and saw the pop bumper lock on so I immediately turned off the machine. This is on my HS2. Can anyone shed light or give me play by play what to check.

-I looked at the switch and it isnt touching to cause it.
-the new coil is a AE-26-1200

#4 11 years ago

i put the 2 purple/ornge wires onto the side that is labeled 50+VDC and the brown/grn on the other side.

#5 11 years ago

here is a pic of it.

IMG_1161.JPGIMG_1161.JPG

#9 11 years ago

thanks guys, hopefully with your help ill get this figured out.

As soon as I flip the switch to power the machine the pop bumper locks on. Should I open the coin door and turn it on?

Thanks
Alex

#12 11 years ago

i disconnected the coil for that pop bumper and it plays perfectly fine just that one pop bumper then doesnt work. If that helps determine anything.

Oh OK ill pull that plug from the board and report back with what I find.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

To determine which, pull the connector that goes to the coil from the driver board and power on.

Just to be sure, do you want me to pull the plug that has the thin brown/grn wire from the board? not the purple/orange wire.

brown/green wire is in plug J127.

#15 11 years ago

OK i pulled plug J127 and at power up the pop bumper did not lock on. Now what? I appreciate the help robertmee

#17 11 years ago

ok I did the second test for now. I pulled the ribbon cable from MPU to driver board. I powered up the machine and the pop bumper locked on. I will have to pick up a meter and do the first test. I guess its begining to look as if I am going to have to try and replace a transistor.

#19 11 years ago

I had a really nice one that I spent stupid money on from Snap-on but the supposed rechargable battery went bad and my snapon rep couldnt get a replacement hahah.

Ill take the lashings for not having one now though!!!

#23 11 years ago

I picked up a meter and I feel I am checking the correct transistor for the pop bumper but I am getting a reading.

IMG_1175.JPGIMG_1175.JPG

The brown/green wire wich is the 4th wire from the left on plug J127 comes from the pop bumper. I put my red lead on the transistors center post, trace goes to that part of transistor, and the black lead on the cabinets braided ground and I am getting a reading of 1.1

Am I doing something wrong or whats my next step?

Thanks
Alex

#26 11 years ago

I tested the one in question and it shows 1.1 where as the others above it show 23.2 . I then pulled the plug and tested them again and the brown/grn still shows similar numbers at 1.4 and the others show around 5.0

Does that make sense to you guys or give you any idea where the problem may be stemming from?

Much appreciated
Alex

#28 11 years ago

when I said plug i meant the J127 plug. I pulled that plug off of the power board. I tested the brown/grn wire at the power board plug (unplugged from the board) and then put the other lead on the VDC side of the coil (2purple wires) and I am getting close to 11.0 I then tested from one side of the coil to the other and I am still close to 11.0

Does that help with anything?

#29 11 years ago

I now have the board out. I ordered a few new transistors. Anyone have any other ideas on things to check before i put the board back in?

#31 11 years ago

On this rottendog board it uses 13N10L transistors. When checking them should i put red lead from meter on center leg of the transistor and the black lead on one of the outer legs or do i put black lead to the board where mounting screws go?

#36 11 years ago

Hi guys I received the transistors that I ordered from marco today. I removed the original transistor from the Rottendog board and compared to my new transistor and found they have different numbers on them.

Original transistor: 13N10L FQP 1B21AA
New Transistor: 13N10L FQP 1B16AL

When I ordered them I only saw the 13N10L number and didnt see the others. Are the new transistors compatible with the original transistors?

#38 11 years ago

Thanks for a lesson cfh! Im always all ears! Ill install it and report back later tonight.

Thanks
Alex

#39 11 years ago

I want to say thank you to all who had some input! I replaced the transistor and it is working as should now.

Thanks
Alex

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 72.50
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider boostedskex.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pop-bumper-locks-on-when-machine-is-powered-up?tu=boostedskex and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.