Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Riptor
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mg81.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 4 years ago

Transistors can short "closed" so the coil is always powered. You have done all of the obvious other solutions, I think it is time for you to replace the transistor since it is almost certainly bad.

Lucky you, you even know which one you need to replace.

#8 4 years ago

I used to try and test transistors, I always had mixed results testing them with cheap multi-meters. I was told that the low power of the meters could often not simulate the required load to reliably test these transistors. I would love to hear feedback on that point.

At this point I just don't test transistors. If I have eliminated the other obvious problems I find it is easier to just replace the transistor. It always fixes the problem and it is very quick to do on these early Bally pins.

Buy at least five TIP-102s. They are cheap and you will need them, the driver board transistors often go bad. The shipping is what kills you on these electronic parts.

#10 4 years ago

I hate to think how many spare parts some of us have hoarded up. I have resisted buying too many TIP-102s since they are "expensive" (~$1) compared to some parts.

I have an unreasonable number of the common diodes and capacitors used on switches for Bally pins, at just a few pennies or less each the shipping always seems to be more. I think every parts order I made for a few years included an order of an extra 100 of each.

#14 4 years ago

Thanks for the links.

I was buying from digikey at the time, I notice the prices are currently in the $0.60 - $0.96 range. Apparently I was overpaying. What can I say, I really like digikey's website and search function.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 157.00
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 30.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mg81.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside