Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Riptor
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg

#1 3 years ago

Paragon center pop is staying locked on transistor in q13 spot on the driver board is super hot I don't see any shorts in the wiring and all switches are clean and gapped. Everything on the board front and back look good with no burn spots and no hacks. Any info would be helpful

#2 3 years ago

Transistors can short "closed" so the coil is always powered. You have done all of the obvious other solutions, I think it is time for you to replace the transistor since it is almost certainly bad.

Lucky you, you even know which one you need to replace.

#3 3 years ago

Thanks for the reply is that something I could find a radio shack? Or do I need to order

#4 3 years ago

Good luck with Radio Shack....

#5 3 years ago

Try this. DMM set to diode test. Red lead on ground, black lead touch the transistor tab/middle leg. If it shows less then 400 on your DMM, it is dead.

I don't think radio shack is going to carry a transistor close enough to what you need. Get a TIP-102. I used to sell these but I am out of stock right now. Try Great Plains Electronics.

Andrew

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Try this. DMM set to diode test. Red lead on ground, black lead touch the transistor tab/middle leg. If it shows less then 400 on your DMM, it is dead.
I don't think radio shack is going to carry a transistor close enough to what you need. Get a TIP-102. I used to sell these but I am out of stock right now. Try Great Plains Electronics.
Andrew

Thanks I will do that test now I'll let you know what I come up with

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Zukboy2002:

is that something I could find a radio shack?

Depends on the part; best you can do is go check. RS definitely has limited selection these days, ain't what they used to be. I'd say 50/50 chance, and I would go check myself. I'd say less than 50/50 chance the employee on the phone would know exactly where to look for what you need (unless you're shopping for a pre-paid cell phone). Otherwise, check out https://www.greatplainselectronics.com .

#8 3 years ago

I used to try and test transistors, I always had mixed results testing them with cheap multi-meters. I was told that the low power of the meters could often not simulate the required load to reliably test these transistors. I would love to hear feedback on that point.

At this point I just don't test transistors. If I have eliminated the other obvious problems I find it is easier to just replace the transistor. It always fixes the problem and it is very quick to do on these early Bally pins.

Buy at least five TIP-102s. They are cheap and you will need them, the driver board transistors often go bad. The shipping is what kills you on these electronic parts.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from mg81:

Buy at least five TIP-102s.

Buy 25 of them.

They constantly blow, and almost every game uses them.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-quick-bally-driver-board-repair-bulletproofing

#10 3 years ago

I hate to think how many spare parts some of us have hoarded up. I have resisted buying too many TIP-102s since they are "expensive" (~$1) compared to some parts.

I have an unreasonable number of the common diodes and capacitors used on switches for Bally pins, at just a few pennies or less each the shipping always seems to be more. I think every parts order I made for a few years included an order of an extra 100 of each.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from mg81:

I hate to think how many spare parts some of us have hoarded up. I have resisted buying too many TIP-102s since they are "expensive" (~$1) compared to some parts.
I have an unreasonable number of the common diodes and capacitors used on switches for Bally pins, at just a few pennies or less each the shipping always seems to be more. I think every parts order I made for a few years included an order of an extra 100 of each.

$1 each??? you should be buying them from me. I know they are OOS now, but i am working on it.

http://nvram.weebly.com/tip-102.html

#12 3 years ago

Transistors have a range of 131 to 145 across the board with q13 being no different.but I did do the jumper wire mods and cleaning all the connections with alcohol. Is it ok to use die electric grease on the connections?

#14 3 years ago

Thanks for the links.

I was buying from digikey at the time, I notice the prices are currently in the $0.60 - $0.96 range. Apparently I was overpaying. What can I say, I really like digikey's website and search function.

#15 3 years ago

You could use an unused transistor from your board in a pinch. Just need to know which ones they are, if any.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Zukboy2002:

Transistors have a range of 131 to 145 across the board with q13 being no different.but I did do the jumper wire mods and cleaning all the connections with alcohol. Is it ok to use die electric grease on the connections?

This is not a valid reading, i am guessing your meter is bad or your technique is incorrect.

Like pinkid said. Typically there are unused transistors on the driver board. You can rotate an unused one to your locked on one and see what happens.

#17 3 years ago

Got it!!.. I swapped transistors and it works only bad thing is now the drop target reset coil is not working no worries though I just removed the wrong one but the locked coil is fixed. Thanks for all the help guys couldn't have done it without yall. I def learned some new skills today. Looks like I'll be ordering some new transistors tomorrow.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

$1 each??? you should be buying them from me. I know they are OOS now, but i am working on it.
http://nvram.weebly.com/tip-102.html

Do you have them in stock. The link you put up says out of stock and and Great Plains is closed till the 18th.

#19 3 years ago

I am technically out of stock, but i can sell you a few out of my personal stash to get your board up. Send me a PM with how many you need.

Andrew

#20 3 years ago

Thanks guys I found a local shop here that had a few in stock 4 total and I bought them all. Lol

#21 3 years ago

image.jpg3 days shipping and entry in stock.

#22 3 years ago

Do yourself a favor and learn how to test a transistor with your meter. Its very simple to do and you will need to do it again eventually. There are hundreds of pages on the subject and even youtube videos. Test the bad one along with a new one so you can do comparative readings.
https://www.google.com/#q=how+to+test+a+transistor+using+a+digital+multimeter

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 157.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cumberland, RI
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 149.00
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Nanuet, NY
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside