• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Popbumper3 (resized).jpg
Popbumperconnection2 (resized).jpg
OlympicHockey (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsinkc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 5 years ago

What are the other two lights associated with that circuit doing? Do all the lights associated with the yellow relay operate properly?

#6 5 years ago

That's bizarre. that's a really simple circuit, and you'd think if it was malfunctioning, all of the lights in the circuit should be doing the same thing.

Without seeing it in person, I'm pretty much lost on this one. It almost sounds like the wrong wire is attached to the pop bumper lamp socket but that can't be it.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from n1teowl:

I know! It's really strange. I don't know how it's possible. That particular lamp is the last one on the circuit before the wire runs back down the wire harness. That means there are two wires of the same color twisted together and connected to that bulb. If I disconnect it completely from the lamp but keep the ends twisted together, the light no longer works (of course) but the others on that circuit function as normal. And it's not just that it doesn't work at all, it works opposite to how it should. They should all either be on or off, right?

Humor me and try something. Disconnect that lead to the lamp socket and connect a jumper from the other bumper to this one. That should at least make the lamp work properly. Leave the other wires together. It's a hack, but hell, sometimes you have to hack when something this mystifying happens.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

There are 2 wires to the light bulb. Temporarily swap the other one instead.

Swap what wire? They're tied together at the lead to the bumper coil socket.

If you disconnect the wires to the bumper that is lighting incorrectly and jumped from the correctly performing lamp, it should work correctly. Try the same thing from the other two lamps in the circuit and let me know.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from n1teowl:

OK, so I disconnected the pop bumper lights from the one lighting incorrectly and jumped them to one working correctly. The result was that they both worked correctly. The same goes for the other two lamps in the circuit. To take the pop bumper out of the loop, I jumped from one side of the bad pop bumper to the other, using a single bare bulb in the middle. The bulb responded in the same way as the bad pop bumper did. That is to say it started out lit and then is went out when the rollover was triggered.

Well, I'm certainly no expert on electrical issues, but it suggests to me that the bulb is getting ground when it shouldn't. I assume it was working properly when you took it apart, right? I'd inspect around that area and see if you've got a solder splash or something in there that is causing current to flow when it shouldn't. The only thing about that is, if it was shorting it should blow the fuse.

When you say you disconnected the lights, are you saying you disconnected both the hot and ground leads from the bad bumper and then jumpered both the ground and the hot to the good bumper? I was suggesting just disconnecting the hot and leaving the ground braid soldered to the other lead of the bad bumper socket. If you connect the hot wire back and jumper the ground to the ground of the other bumper, what happens? You don't need to resolder. Just jumper the ground and see if the light comes on improperly. If it doesn't, then activate the rollover and then just touch the hot wire to the bumper socket lead.

This is really weird. You'd expect all of them to act up because all of the current is coming via one wire/switch. Something you did when you resoldered that socket has to be causing this, but I'm damned if I know what.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsinkc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pop-bumper-light-lights-at-wrong-times?tu=emsinkc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.