(Topic ID: 251594)

Pop Bumper issue - Replaced -26-1200 with AO 26-1200 (diode)

By FlippinJimmy

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_7981 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7979 (resized).JPG
    TI 120 (resized).jpg
    Pop Bumer (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin_guy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from FlippinJimmy:

Thank you for that information. Likely have a bad fuse as I have switched the wiring and it still doesn't work. Non of the pops work so fuse seems likely.

There is no problem adding coils with diodes as long as they are wired correctly (the fat wire normally goes on the stripped side).

So here is what happened, by reversing the wiring and applying voltage to the anode (non-striped side) you forward biased this diode, and as soon as the coil energized, the diode conducted as much current as you could give it right to ground, no current passed through the coil itself, so the coil is fine; however, this massive current draw immediately destroyed the diodes depletion region making it a dead short, the drive transistor P-N junction was also destroyed making it a dead short, and then the fuse blew.

You must replace all of three of these items before continuing.

EDIT...it sounds like your game didn't have a diode on the coil to start with, if this is the case, you can just remove the diode, rather than replacing it.

#6 4 years ago

Is the PN transistor something I can replace myself with moderate soldering skills?

This is hard to answer, but I would tend to think so, assuming you can cut the transistor from the board, you can then simply heat the legs and pull them out one at a time; if you have a desoldering station, then yes, its very easy.

Based on the wire colors in you picture VIO/ORG and BRN/BLU you are talking about replacing the drive transistor for SOL14, This is Q48 on the PDB, which is a standard TIP 102.

Good luck!
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#7 4 years ago
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #11 4 years ago

replaced the 3A SB fuse for the solenoids but did not replace Q48. I was hopping it was just the fuse. The new fuse blew right away. Is this evidence that Q48 is bad?

Yes, you should also have heard the coil fire as soon as the game was powered on.

Can I replace Q48 while installed in the machine or do I need to remove the whole board. (I think I know the answer but hopefu I don't have to remove the board)

You have to remove the board in order to properly solder in the new transistor.

#14 4 years ago

Tyring to find out if I can tell if the Q48 diode is bad. Most likely it is but would like to test it just for my knowledge. Might need to invest in a better DMM though. Harbor Freight one seems to jump back and forth.

There is nothing you did that could hurt this diode as its held reverse biased by the +50V source voltage. The worst thing you could have done is equalized the voltage across this diode.

#16 4 years ago

With DMM on Ohms 2000K I put leads on the outer two leads on the transistor and I am getting 003 as a reading. If I flip the positive and negative lead I still get 003. Bad transistor, right?

Best thing to do is to just compare it with one of the adjacent transistors as they should all read about the same. Typical troubleshooting would be to measure from C-E as it should have high resistance when off, a failed transistor would measure a low resistance from collector to emitter (C-E) allowing it to conduct when off.

NOTE: The center pin on a TO-220 transistor is bonded to the metal tab.

#21 4 years ago

If I am reading the DMM correctly I am getting 625 on Q48 transistor and about 630-657 on a couple surrounding ones. If Q48 is still good what else can I look for that may cause the fuse to blow?

Have you removed or replaced that diode on the replacement coil??

#22 4 years ago

Please let me know where I failed in this post so I can be more clear on this in future posts.

#29 4 years ago

I think I screwed this up when removing the transistor. Here is a photo of the back side of the board. Did I remove the pad?

I've seen much worse, its an easy repair if you want it professionally repaired, or like zacaj mentioned the traces look good and while not ideal, you can probably get it to work if you can solder the top side legs to the traces; the downside here is that it any future repairs will be more difficult.

#30 4 years ago

This is an example of a before and after of a botched repair that actually pulled pads AND traces off the board.

Before:

After:

#32 4 years ago

Guys, thank you very much. Happy to say that the Getaway is working again and the pop bumbers, with new switches, are much stronger now.

Awesome!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin_guy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pop-bumper-issue-replaced-26-1200-with-ao-26-1200-diode?tu=pin_guy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.