• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC03237 (resized).JPG
DSC03238 (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

I have a question on my Ice Revue. I am trying to understand how the device works and I am looking at the pop bumpers.
All of the pop bumpers are wired similarly, what I don't understand is how the bottom switch works. There is only a single (black/orange) wire to it. In other EM's, the base has been wired to ground so electricity can flow, but this one doesn't seem to have anywhere for it to go.

When contact is made, is electricity supposed to flow from the brown/orange wire, through the closed switch, to the metal mount, up through the screws and onto the plate at the top and finally out through the red/white wire? that seems iffy.

DSC03237 (resized).JPGDSC03238 (resized).JPG
#2 1 year ago

I have seen this also, and initially it looks like a solder tab is missing, the pop bumper spoon has continuity to the top leaf blade.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

I have seen this also, and initially it looks like a solder tab is missing, the pop bumper spoon has continuity to the top leaf blade.

Ahh so the screws are providing ground to the cup leaf?

#4 1 year ago

Yes, the two long machine screws running through the switch stack are conducting power from the top switch blade to the spoon (cup) blade. Note that the top spacer on the switch stack is metal, not phenolic, which is what makes the electrical connection between the top switch blade and the screw heads.

The electrical connection through the hardware itself is a good reason to always make sure these two switch stack screws are down tight on every pop bumper switch assembly. You can tighten these screws in place by putting a 1/4" wrench on the nut on the back side of the mounting bracket to keep the nut from turning, and then tightening the head of the screw with a flat-blade screwdriver while holding the nut in place.

- TimMe

#5 1 year ago

so....replacing one of the cups with a plastic one is not a good idea?

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from TimMe:

The electrical connection through the hardware itself is a good reason to always make sure these two switch stack screws are down tight on every pop bumper switch assembly. You can tighten these screws in place by putting a 1/4" wrench on the nut on the back side of the mounting bracket to keep the nut from turning, and then tightening the head of the screw with a flat-blade screwdriver while holding the nut in place.
- TimMe

So good to know if I ever encounter this, thanks!

Quoted from mark532011:

Hah! Didn't even notice, great point.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Only on a Bally!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The EM Scientist
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 7.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!