(Topic ID: 303579)

Pop bumper dwell time

By D-Gottlieb

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider d-gottlieb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

As the title suggests, I am wondering about the action of pop bumpers when comparing two machines- Star Trek (Stern) and Whoa Nellie. Star Trek's bumpers reset much quicker than Whoa Nellie's. Meaning that the cone returns to the rest position sooner. In WNBJM this has the effect of stalling the ball when bouncing off a nearby cushion and back to the bumper while in ST there is none of this and the ball bounces around much more without any stalling. The bumper cone returns to rest in less time. We are are talking hundredths of a second here but there is an obvious difference. Granted WNBJM is a Spike machine and ST is SAM, but the bumpers look identical in their construction. WNBJM is a just opened NIB machine and ST is like new. I have tried different adjustments to the switches and power settings, ensuring the there is no binding, replaced coil sleeves, etc, but now I am thinking it may be in the code- that the code is telling the pop solenoid to be powered for X milliseconds with X being a larger number for WNBJM while ST has a smaller number. Is there any way to determine this? Would a stronger return spring work?

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Woah Nellie is effectively a reproduction of an EM design. It wouldn't surprise me if Stern had tuned the coding for firing the pop bumpers to make them more similar to that.
If the coil is firing for a longer period, a stronger spring may get you some miniscule gain on the ring going back up....but it won't solve the delay in the ring being pulled down longer, and too strong a spring is going to make the pops not hit as hard.

I compared the part numbers between the two machines and they are identical. So if it is indeed in coding, is there a way modify this?

#5 2 years ago

That is what I figured. Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider d-gottlieb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pop-bumper-dwell-time?tu=d-gottlieb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.