New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 276057)

Pop bumper disassembly tips?

By killerrobots

60 days ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 60 days ago by killerrobots
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 60 days ago

Yesterday I was replacing my pop bumpers and had an issue with the threads on the metal posts not wanting to come off the metal yoke. I think over time they just got smashed together and I ended up braking the yokes trying to get them separated. On one set I actually cut the upper part of the metal rings with metal shears so I could unthread them. This worked but felt like overkill. I just ordered new yokes so it wasn't a big deal but I was thinking this must be a common problem and someone must have a trick for separating them non-destructively.

If it matters it was on a Stern LotR.

#2 60 days ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

Yesterday I was replacing my pop bumpers and had an issue with the threads on the metal posts not wanting to come off the metal yoke. I think over time they just got smashed together and I ended up braking the yokes trying to get them separated. On one set I actually cut the upper part of the metal rings with metal shears so I could unthread them. This worked but felt like overkill. I just ordered new yokes so it wasn't a big deal but I was thinking this must be a common problem and someone must have a trick for separating them non-destructively.
If it matters it was on a Stern LotR.

My least favorite assembly to rebuild. It is not uncommon for these metal yokes to break in half and yes, sometimes the threads get mashed onto the ring and rod. If you are taking the time to rebuild/remove these, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace metal yokes. Most of the EMs I work on I see 1 in 4 snapped.

#3 60 days ago

I've had that happen alot on Stern machines. What I have done is to take off the 6-32 nylock nuts from the rod & ring. Then I use Channelock pliers with one side on the yoke and the other side on the tip of the threaded end of the rod & ring. Using a squeezing motion it forces the rod & ring out of the yoke, much like an arbor press.

Once you get the rod & ring seperated from the metal yoke, you'll see the holes in the yoke all hogged out (worn) and the ends of the rod & ring all mushroomed over. This is usually caused by the nylock nuts working loose and running the machine that way for a while. This is why I always replace the metal yoke, fiber yoke, rod & ring, and the nylock nuts at the same time. Look at the plunger too to see if there's too much slop at the top where the yokes slide in. Sometimes I also have to replace the plunger because of excessive wear.

#4 60 days ago

Well it makes me feel a little better that I am not alone. I tried pliers and eventually used a nail set punch/hammer to try and force it out but that ended up breaking them. Certainly in the future I will plan on replacing the yokes with the rings.

To be honest, as brute force as it was. Shearing the upper ring with a set of sheet metal shears and then unthreading them worked good but obviously meant replacing the rings.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside