(Topic ID: 116085)

Pop bumper design - why 2 materials for yokes?

By RussMyers

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by cody_chunn
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Pop bumper design - why 2 different materials for yokes?

One yoke metal, one yoke fiber?

Why not both steel?

RussM

#2 9 years ago

I'd guess the fiber is to absorb the shock and prevent breakage.

Ck

#3 9 years ago

I ask because I'm fixing a pop bumper where both yokes are broken in half.

RM

#4 9 years ago

the funny part is because the fiber portion has more "give" to it, many times you'll find that the fiber yoke is ok, while the metal one is broken in half.

my guess is that both materials are used to try to ensure that the part "stays together" once the metal portion is broke. since the machines are supposed to be maintained (just like your car), these are components that should be looked at every so often (probably once a month for heavily routed use, to once every 6 or 12 months for a home use machine).

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

the funny part is because the fiber portion has more "give" to it, many times you'll find that the fiber yoke is ok, while the metal one is broken in half.

I've never experienced a broken fiber yoke but have had 5-6 metal yokes that have been broken. The RFM I just shopped out had 2 broken metal yokes.

#6 9 years ago

Historical precedent - on EM games the normally-closed "hold" switch for the pop bumper relay is actuated by the fiber part of the link (the switch opens when the solenoid plunger is fully retracted into the coil).

#7 9 years ago

Replaced all broken parts and tested the pop bumper (BDK) switch working but coil dead.

Put the meter on it (26-1200) tested at 6 ohms; other 2 coils (and a spare uninstalled coil) at 10-11 ohms. Pulled one wire off: tested open - broken bits had wrecked the coil too.

Replaced with a spare 26-1200 and we're Green For Go.

RussM

#8 9 years ago

Yeah, I actually had both (mteal/fiber) broke on one of my TZ bumpers. Never knew it until I started taking them apart - it worked fine with both broke.

#9 9 years ago

The fiber one is a sometimes used to operate an additional leaf switch blade. So the fiber is an insulator and will not ground the switch it activates.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

The fiber one is a sometimes used to operate an additional leaf switch blade. So the fiber is an insulator and will not ground the switch it activates.

That makes sense.

RM

#11 9 years ago

Note: Pinball Resource sells the Gottlieb version yokes with a bend on one side to prevent them from breaking. They fit modern games and will never break again.

And that's no yoke!

huyuk, huyuk.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pop-bumper-design-why-2-materials-for-yokes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.