You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC03230 (resized).JPG
ice revue coils list (resized).jpg
ice revue schematic piece (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

I have a question about pop bumper coil wiring. According to my Ice-Revue schematic, all 4 pop bumpers use the same coil (A-4893) though I am unable to verify what is there as the coils are just brown paper.

however, when I look at how it was wired I see that 2 of them were wired with black on one side and 2 are wired with black on the other side. Which implies that 2 of them should not work but they all did at one point (before I tore it down) It seems like they should all be the same and the schematic shows the same wiring to all. What am I missing?

ice revue schematic piece (resized).jpgice revue schematic piece (resized).jpgice revue coils list (resized).jpgice revue coils list (resized).jpgDSC03230 (resized).JPGDSC03230 (resized).JPG
#2 1 year ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I see that 2 of them were wired with black on one side and 2 are wired with black on the other side.

A coil is symmetrical for electrical purposes, like a resistor, lightbulb, fuse, and other components. As long as black goes to one of the two terminals and the power to activate (switched by a relay) goes to the other side, it doesn't matter which wire goes to which side.
.................David Marston

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I am unable to verify what is there as the coils are just brown paper.

Note on games this old sometimes it's stamped on the ends

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from dmarston:

A coil is symmetrical for electrical purposes, like a resistor, lightbulb, fuse, and other components. As long as black goes to one of the two terminals and the power to activate (switched by a relay) goes to the other side, it doesn't matter which wire goes to which side.
.................David Marston

But because of the direction of the winding, won't current running in opposite directions cause the plunger to go in opposite directions?

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from mark532011:

But because of the direction of the winding, won't current running in opposite directions cause the plunger to go in opposite directions?

Most coils in EM games, including yours, are running on AC voltage which means that the current through the coil and the magnetic field it creates in the coil change direction many times every second. But the steel plunger (or relay armature) doesn't care about the direction of the magnetic field. It's attracted to a magnetic field in any direction.

If the plunger was a magnet with a north and south pole instead of a steel rod, then the direction of the current and the magnetic field through the coil would matter and the plunger would be pushed back and forth as the direction of the current through the coil changed.

That's what makes a speaker (which uses a magnet) vibrate when an alternating current passes through the coil while a solenoid plunger just pulls in towards the magnetic field and stays there.

/Mark

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from dmarston:

As long as black goes to one of the two terminals and the power to activate (switched by a relay) goes to the other side, it doesn't matter which wire goes to which side.

Just a side note....it doesn't matter which wire goes to which side in your game...or in EM's running coils on AC, HOWEVER, it does matter how you wire up coils on newer machines (solid state) running DC power. The newer games have a diode across the coil connection and polarity is important when connecting these coils.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Just a side note....it doesn't matter which wire goes to which side in your game...or in EM's running coils on AC, HOWEVER, it does matter how you wire up coils on newer machines (solid state) running DC power. The newer games have a diode across the coil connection and polarity is important when connecting these coils.

True BUT only because of the diode. The actual coil winding still doesn't care which way you connect the power to it - it will 'attract' the plunger regardless of the polarity.

#8 1 year ago

Thanks guys. I just learned something new!

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Thanks guys. I just learned something new!

AC is alternating current, a sine wave pattern. If the plunger was a permanent magnet you see some fun but its not. So the magnetic field is reversing 60 times a second but the direction of the pull remains the same was the temporary mag poles swap. EE 1980, a little of my college is left.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pop-bumper-coils-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.